Search 62305 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Before and after the Central?

aerialobserver

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Sept/Oct 2018)
On my second Camino but first in Portugal, I intend to start from Porto and probably fly in to Lisbon. Between there and Porto, Tomar and Coimbra sound like interesting towns it might be good to see. If you've passed through them, I'd appreciate knowing whether they have unique or compelling sights enough to go out of my way to see them by bus or train, or just go on to Porto and spend a little post-Camino time back in Porto and Lisbon. While Santiago was wonderful, I don't plan to spend much time there this trip. As with the Camino Frances, walking it is straightforward; it's harder to know how to handle my two weeks or ten days before and after the walking stops.

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

Charlie Davenport

May 20- June 20, 2017
Porto, Tomar and Coimbra are all great towns to visit, with very old history being the focus for all. Beautiful sights in each, great history in each ... We spent 3 nights in Porto before doing the Coastal and then 2 months later, 2 nights back in Porto before we left. Obviously the touring the Douro river valley and it's history of Port production is mandatory.. Tomar and all the knights Templar focus is well worth the visit, as well as Coimbra which is downright gorgeous... the University Library tour is worth the time ...

aerialobserver

Camino Frances (Sept/Oct 2018)
Thanks very much! Great to hear from someone who's actually been. Looks like there's a spur line to Tomar from the main train route from Lisbon to Porto, and a stop at Coimbra. Is that how you came and went?

Flog

2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
The path from Tomar to Coimbra, three or four days walking, is the nicest part of tbe portuguese to walk, south of Porto. You could spend a day or two in each of these lovely towns. You can take the train from Porto to Tomar, with one change.

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

cronnik

Frances 11/21
Pamplona - Burgos
Sarria - SdC
Porto, Tomar and Coimbra are all great towns to visit, with very old history being the focus for all. Beautiful sights in each, great history in each ... We spent 3 nights in Porto before doing the Coastal and then 2 months later, 2 nights back in Porto before we left. Obviously the touring the Douro river valley and it's history of Port production is mandatory.. Tomar and all the knights Templar focus is well worth the visit, as well as Coimbra which is downright gorgeous... the University Library tour is worth the time ...
I wanted to spend more time in Porto during my Porto->SdC Camino and made the mistake of landing there in the am from nyc and spending a couple of hours getting my credenciale at the cathedral and some food. It IS a beautiful city. The ceramic tiles roofs cascading down the hill to the Douro, the Eiffel bridge, the food!oh boy. Also on the other side of the border if you can get to San Sebastián after SdC I highly recommend that - one of my favorite cities in Spain!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, I'm starting on Sunday October 2nd from Lisbon. Flying in from Dublin, Ireland. Just wondering if there are any others starting then as I'm travelling on my own and would appreciate some...
We've made a spur of the moment decision to walk from Porto on the central route in the first week of October. Anyone walking at the moment? How busy is it and how is accommodation holding up...
Hallo, I lost my airpods on my camino Portugues between Porto and Santiago. Thought they were in my luggage but now at home and know I lost them. Somebody maybe found them? Thanks! Sita 🌷

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2022 Camino Guides