• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Before and after the Central?

aerialobserver

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Sept/Oct 2018)
On my second Camino but first in Portugal, I intend to start from Porto and probably fly in to Lisbon. Between there and Porto, Tomar and Coimbra sound like interesting towns it might be good to see. If you've passed through them, I'd appreciate knowing whether they have unique or compelling sights enough to go out of my way to see them by bus or train, or just go on to Porto and spend a little post-Camino time back in Porto and Lisbon. While Santiago was wonderful, I don't plan to spend much time there this trip. As with the Camino Frances, walking it is straightforward; it's harder to know how to handle my two weeks or ten days before and after the walking stops.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Porto, Tomar and Coimbra are all great towns to visit, with very old history being the focus for all. Beautiful sights in each, great history in each ... We spent 3 nights in Porto before doing the Coastal and then 2 months later, 2 nights back in Porto before we left. Obviously the touring the Douro river valley and it's history of Port production is mandatory.. Tomar and all the knights Templar focus is well worth the visit, as well as Coimbra which is downright gorgeous... the University Library tour is worth the time ...

Thanks very much! Great to hear from someone who's actually been. Looks like there's a spur line to Tomar from the main train route from Lisbon to Porto, and a stop at Coimbra. Is that how you came and went?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The path from Tomar to Coimbra, three or four days walking, is the nicest part of tbe portuguese to walk, south of Porto. You could spend a day or two in each of these lovely towns. You can take the train from Porto to Tomar, with one change.

Porto, Tomar and Coimbra are all great towns to visit, with very old history being the focus for all. Beautiful sights in each, great history in each ... We spent 3 nights in Porto before doing the Coastal and then 2 months later, 2 nights back in Porto before we left. Obviously the touring the Douro river valley and it's history of Port production is mandatory.. Tomar and all the knights Templar focus is well worth the visit, as well as Coimbra which is downright gorgeous... the University Library tour is worth the time ...
I wanted to spend more time in Porto during my Porto->SdC Camino and made the mistake of landing there in the am from nyc and spending a couple of hours getting my credenciale at the cathedral and some food. It IS a beautiful city. The ceramic tiles roofs cascading down the hill to the Douro, the Eiffel bridge, the food!oh boy. Also on the other side of the border if you can get to San Sebastián after SdC I highly recommend that - one of my favorite cities in Spain!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back