• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Before vs. After

• Thread starter Former member 83265
  • Start date
F

Former member 83265

My first camino: SJPdP to Santiago to Fisterra to Muxia to Santiago (1'024 km / 636 miles, all on foot with a 9 kilo / 20lb backpack): Sept 12 - October 22, 2018.

My Timberland boots were so awesome (only 1 blister, and that was close to the end on a day I foolishly walked with wet feet and the wrong socks, i.e. my own stupidity). I contacted the company and of course they don't make the same exact model anymore. However, they helped me find a new pair of exactly the same style and model year that was still out there somewhere.

The attached pictures are to show the old vs. the new. The difference between the two is 99% due to the camino (the other 1% was due to breaking in the old set before I started on the camino).

Happy feet = happy trails!

thumbnail-9.jpegthumbnail-7.jpeg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Looks par for the course.
I get about 2,000 kms out of a pair of boots.
Then the soles are getting a bit smooth and slippery in places :(

I am surprised that Timberlands worked so well, I have bought about 3 pairs of timberlands over the years and found they are ruined after about 3 months just casual street wear. Admittedly I am quite heavy on my footwear this is a very short time, I don't wear them at work so I probably only walk 1 mile in them per day. ( I am a traffic warden so walk between 11 to 15 miles per day every day at work so tend to put my fit up at work.) The timberlands I bought were approx £100 to £120 so I did not think they represent value for money. Just my observations.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Smart to buy a new pair of the exact same boots, since they worked so well for you. Did the same with my Salomons. I am on my third pair.

I did the same with my Zamberlans. I resoled the first pair but was nervous about taking them on Camino, so I purchased a new pair. Interestingly, the new pair was much more supportive to my feet than the old pair, despite them being resoled. The structure must break down over time. Most importantly, I have never had blisters with either pair as they fit like a glove.

Love the before and after shots! We need more of those in this forum!!! 👍

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Here you are, not really after as I walk with two pairs :). My sandal swap in Gijón on Norte (two black pair) and after 880 km on Mozárabe (swapped to turquoise pair). I should have an after picture somewhere of the single pair that did the Francés and the once that did San Salvador, Primitivo and Portuguese as well. They are flat :)

Attachments

• 3F9D49BD-7FF4-4CF2-9934-71D18D204385.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 42
  • C352649F-F7F9-45A6-96A8-250141864C8D.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 30
Treated myself to new Leki pole tips in Santa Domingo

Attachments

• 015E32AE-BF5C-4E3D-8029-DF1089D3791C.jpeg
    015E32AE-BF5C-4E3D-8029-DF1089D3791C.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • ED78C0D5-363C-45BF-BFD9-73418416D2EB.jpeg
    ED78C0D5-363C-45BF-BFD9-73418416D2EB.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 85803F7A-FC25-4B8F-826E-D69A6BC2F185.jpeg
    85803F7A-FC25-4B8F-826E-D69A6BC2F185.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
My Oboz Sawtooth Bdry boots worn on my last Camino Frances.
In total between the Camino and training/conditioning walks, probably about 1100 kilometres on them.
Mind you, the before photo is just a stock photo from the net. New footwear is new footwear, after all.
One of the shoelaces did break on me on my last week on the Camino, but I had a spare set in my kit and changed them out. Remember that kids, always bring a spare set of boot/shoe laces whilst walking the Camino.
images.jpgoboz.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Treated myself to new Leki pole tips in Santa Domingo
In my opinion, these tips are very good, but in the mountains.
Camino has lots of asphalt. Better to use asphalt pads. Less wear and better grip on asphalt. Bought mine in Astorga last July. Link: https://www.leki.com/uk/product-area/nordic-walking/accessories/1818/gummipuffer-rubber-tip-walking/. After completing my Camino they still look like nearly new. I used my poles all the time, while walking the Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.