• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Befriending a Pilgrim.

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

When Caleb and I reached Burgos in the early afternoon, we proceded to get our room, showered, relaxed a bit, and then went out for the rest of the afternoon and evening to tour around the city, especially the cathedral. We had some good tapas, rehydrated ourselves with Powerade and Coca-Cola Zero's, and snacked on ice cream.

As evening began to take hold and the main plaza started coming to life, we found a little spot to sit and enjoyed some people watching. I especially loved seeing all the kids that were running around and playing; they all seemed so happy and full of joy. Later, as we neared dinner time, we started to meander away from the plaza and toward a small bar that we saw near our casa which looked to have some good food.

As we left the plaza, we heard a shout out to us and turned around to see a young woman, who hailed from Taiwan, that we had seen in Roncesvalles, and a few times after. Even in a large city, with thousands of people milling around us, it is still a small pilgrimage world after all. Totally unexpected.

It turned out that the group she had been walking with and was comfortable being around, had somehow separated itself from her. As we chatted together, it was obvious that she was feeling lonely and in need of some friendly company, even though we had never really talked before now. So, after a quick whisper to Caleb, it was decided to have her spend the evening with us. I had been looking forward to Caleb and I having this last evening on Camino together, but inviting Laura (not her real name) to spend time with us seemed more important.

As we ate dinner together, Laura revealed how she felt like leaving Camino because of being by herself. I pointed out that, even though we only knew each other by sight and smile, that because she was able to spend time that evening with us, she wasn't alone and in fact seemed to be enjoying herself. Laura smiled and agreed with that point. I then told her that, just as she became part of our family for a short while, she would continue to do the same thing with each day on Camino, even if she never got back together with her friends. It was easy to see her visibly relax with that observation, and she seemed much more animated and happy during the rest of our time together.

When it came time to head to our room for bedtime, I asked Laura how she felt about continuing on. She said that even though she might miss her friends, that she felt better knowing she would get to know other pilgrims along the way. As she headed toward her alburgue, she had a smile on her face and waved enthusiastically.

Instead of taking away from our evening, Laura added to it. Both Caleb and I felt like our last night on Camino became even more meaningful. I have no idea what has happened to Laura; but since she was pysically doing great, I am hopeful that she is still on Frances, and will end up in Santiago de Compestela just as she had planned.

Just one of many trillions of warm memories which make it hard to wait til Caleb's next vacation time to get back on Camino. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What a wonderful experience for you all. I am 5days in and can empathise with Laura. Somehow the loneliness just keeps creeping back. But then the camino will send someone my way with conversation and dinner invitations which I feel very blessed for.
In a way I just want to get on and go home but in another I am facing my own inner anxieties with camino friends randomly popping up and bouying me along the way :)
It's wonderful, scary, but wonderful. And people like you davebugg make it so!

I met a young (younger than me) German man who was struggling with similar issues and other things. We became Camino friends and I’m happy to say we continue our long distance friendship. It takes so little to make a difference, no matter what we’re doing. That investment has paid off in so many ways. I believe I’ve always been an accessible person but, my Camino reinforced the value in reaching out to others. We all struggle from time to time. Reaching out or being reached out to is a gift, either way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One of the things that the camino has taught me is how to listen to other people. As we walk, as we rest, as we have a meal - just listen. The stories I hear are remarkable, and the smiles I get in return for doing something so simple as listening are priceless.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.