• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beg your biking suggestions from ST JEAN PIED DE PORT to SANTIAGO

Hellenyang

Time of past OR future Camino
Feb. 2015
Hello everyone,
I am in France, and I will have a vacation in February 2015. I am fascinated in travelling, but before have travelled many places on airline, this time my friends and I want to biking to Santiago from St. Jean Pied de Port. Anyway, we don't have such experience, it worried us a lot. So could you help us removing those anxious please?
1. Is it possible to arrive in Santiago with a folding bike? Is the road so tough for the folding bike? (pictures of bikes as below)
2. What's the weather almost like? If it is windy or rainy, is it so difficult for us to bike there?
3. As a girl, if I find it's so difficult to keep on, could I take a bus or train easily with my bike?

Thank you for your attention !!!
upload_2014-12-23_6-54-42.png

Attachments

• F6663F75-D0BC-4E36-A090-D6761838C74C.png
    F6663F75-D0BC-4E36-A090-D6761838C74C.png
    145.8 KB · Views: 5
    145.8 KB · Views: 5
    145.8 KB · Views: 3
  • CD283769-4F74-4920-A6E3-964F0459740D.png
    CD283769-4F74-4920-A6E3-964F0459740D.png
    128.9 KB · Views: 4
  • D4E4D737-04DF-476B-AE19-D1F90E2AE2DD.png
    D4E4D737-04DF-476B-AE19-D1F90E2AE2DD.png
    100.6 KB · Views: 4
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Short answer: Don't.

Long answer:
It's not a quite ride down the streets of an urban area. You need to be physically and mentally prepared for the toughness of nearly 2 weeks of cycling. And most of all you need to make one with your gear and your horse. You need to trust it, and trust your ability to get out of 90% of the most common problems.
I did it twice with a 400€ hardtail bike, and less than 400€ in equipment, but choice of every component is prime. Prefer 26" wheels for availability of spares along the route, dual usage (clip and flat) pedals, cable disk brakes for power and maintainability.
An at last, February is very early in season and still a lot of snow on the way.

In fact, just read the short answer.

The road is ok for that bike but the trail is not.

sorrry for the short answer, I'm away, but search the cycling part of this forum, there is a lot of info.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've seen many tougher bikes break and grown men cry - the trail is really rough in places. You will need a tough mountan bike , you will also need two weeks not one.
The weather will be cold and snow may be more of a problem than rain.
What about a walking pilgrimage from Pamplona through Navarra and Rioga for a week ? - be prepared for winter weather.

Short answer: do!

Long answer - cycling to Santiago following the roads that are closest to the Camino is quite ok. Sure it is strenuous, sure it is hard, but it is not difficult.
Cycling along the actual Camino is a completely different thing, the Way is mainly unpaved, rough, with steep climbs and descents - on a folding bike would be a real challenge and would take much longer than two weeks!!!

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Interesting idea for walking on a camino. Carry a folding bike. That way at the end of a day of walking you can ride it around town doing errands.

Hello everyone,
I am in France, and I will have a vacation in February 2015. I am fascinated in travelling, but before have travelled many places on airline, this time my friends and I want to biking to Santiago from St. Jean Pied de Port. Anyway, we don't have such experience, it worried us a lot. So could you help us removing those anxious please?
1. Is it possible to arrive in Santiago with a folding bike? Is the road so tough for the folding bike? (pictures of bikes as below)
2. What's the weather almost like? If it is windy or rainy, is it so difficult for us to bike there?
3. As a girl, if I find it's so difficult to keep on, could I take a bus or train easily with my bike?

Thank you for your attention !!!
View attachment 15403

1. There are some sections of the camino that are quite rough. You may find yourself pushing the bike or finding a way using the paved roads.

2. In February it will be winter. Beware of black ice, particularly if there is traffic. Bring a balaclava that leaves only an opening for eyes and a pair of tinted goggles.

3. You'll have to contact Renfe train and the various bus companies for details on how to travel with a bike on the transportation services.

You plan to cycle something like 750km. I have never used a folding bike, but I doubt that it is robust enough for your purpose. Cycling the actual Camino is not really an option; your bike won't make it all the way. Also, riding a bike with with small wheels on rough surfaces means an increased risk of falls. You could try sticking to good roads. But your folding bike probably does not roll that well; combined with the headwinds you'll likely encounter, it'll be quite a slog. You should also be an experienced cyclist to avoid being blown off the little bike when big lorries race past you. Snow on the Pyrenees and on O'Cebreiro might add further difficulties and risks.
In short: I would not try cycling either with a folding bike or in February.
P.S. Three years ago, I cycled from Budapest to SdC with a touring bike.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back