A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Beginner looking for advice!

Camino(s) past & future
I have completed no Caminos as of yet.
Hello Everyone,

I am determined to complete my first Camino this year and hopefully sometime in late April or early May. From the research I have done I must say I am really attracted to the idea of completing the Camino Aragones route; it seems relatively quite and the scenery looks rather wonderful.

Would anyone recommend it as a good route for a beginner? I have never undertaken walking such a distance in such a short amount of time (about 6 to 7 days); actually I have never even attempted anything like this before. I am 24 and relatively fit. Would it be much better if I started with the most popular route?

Thank you all!

Advertisment

jo webber

Camino(s) past & future
Sept 9th 2017
How far can you walk now, with your loaded pack? If you can go the distance you would need to walk each day now, no reason why you can't in April.

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF011, CF012, CP013, CF014, CA015, S.Anton015, CF015, CI015
Ditch Pig016, CF017, CP017, CdN(018)
If you are coming from the US, the logistics of getting to the starting points on the Aragones is an issue. Somport is at the top of the mountains, Oloron/Ste. Marie is on the other side of the Pyrenees and both would take several days to access from major cities. That part of the mountains can still be snow covered as late as May. Jaca would be a good starting point because it is down in the Aragones River valley but still would take a day by bus from Barcelona.
I have walked the CA from France and it is lovely and very quiet. You should do some research on which albergues will be open that time of year.

wayan

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, Camino Fisterra (Oct-Nov 2013)
Camino Aragones, Frances, Portuguese (Sep-Nov 2015)
I flew into Madrid then caught the train to Zaragoza and a bus to Jaca. Late in the afternoon there was a bus to Somport from Jaca. Check to see if the bus up to Somport is running when you plan to be there.

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Aragones and Camino Frances (2018)
The Rome2Rio app show great bus or bus/train options, depending upon what city you plan to fly into. If you are flexible, you can try for Somport but have Jaca as a Plan B if the snow is still bad.

Advertisment

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
Madrid, Zaragoza, Jaca, Canfranc. There is a train from Zaragoza to Canfranc, and a bus from Jaca to Canfranc (and up to Somport if you want).

There is interesting scenery from Canfranc, and you have enough time to go from there to Puente la Reina. There are buses from there to Pamplona several times a day, so it would be a good choice for returning home.

Also, there are buses from Pamplona to Jaca, if you want to start and finish there.

Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo,2017,Argonne and salvador,sept.2019
I am planning on walking the Argonne next year. It is cheapest for me to fly to Paris and then fly to Pau, France,walk to lesser and walk up to the pass. There is a train from Pau to Orlon,and buses to the pass.

amancio

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Norte, Primit, Salvador, Portug, Aragon, Ingles, VdlP, Leban-Vadin, Fisterra, Invierno
I would fly to Madrid, then train to Zaragoza, change trains and take another train from Zaragoza to Canfranc, the last 100 km of that train route are unique. Then, you can take a 20 minute bus ride to Somport. Easy enough to do!

martin1ws

Camino(s) past & future
From Somport Jul-Sep 2018
Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
C Camino Aragonés 7
S Camino Aragonés 4

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 24 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 85 15.8%
  • May

Votes: 142 26.3%
  • June