A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

Beginner's questions

Roger Fleury

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Del Norte June 2018
Starting from La Carida on the 10th of June.
Where can I park my rented car for 12 days? (Compostella and Fisterra)
Do I need a tent? Or booking albergues essential?
What type of walking sticks? Aluminium or carbon fibre?
Shoes soles type: hard for tracking on rough terrain or soft runners on roads?

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2 - 2016 & 2017, El Norte - Irun to Vilalba 2018
Except for the questions about parking I think that you will find your answers by perusing this forum, which has an excellent search function.

CdnDreamer

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2015 & 2018) San Salvador (2018)
Hi Roger. You do not need a tent. There are plenty of albergues and hostals/hotels etc along the route.

You should go and try out different walking poles - the main difference is the weight and the cost. Lighter is better, but they cost more. Some people don't like the ones that have shock absorbers inside because they make noise.

There are plenty of people on the forum that will tell you to wear running shoes, and just as many that will say trail shoes with hard soles for the rocks. Again, that will be your personal preference.

Sorry, don't have any information on parking a car.

Buen camino!

Roger Fleury

Camino(s) past & future
Hi Roger. You do not need a tent. There are plenty of albergues and hostals/hotels etc along the route.

You should go and try out different walking poles - the main difference is the weight and the cost. Lighter is better, but they cost more. Some people don't like the ones that have shock absorbers inside because they make noise.

There are plenty of people on the forum that will tell you to wear running shoes, and just as many that will say trail shoes with hard soles for the rocks. Again, that will be your personal preference.

Sorry, don't have any information on parking a car.

Buen camino!
Thank you for the info's.will start booking today.

krisobn82

Kristy
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances walked in May to June 2017
Plans to walk Camino del Norte July to August 2019
Hey Roger,

Just in regards to your query about walking poles, I originally purchased a set of Helinox walking poles prior to my Camino in 2017. They are extremely lightweight as well as having the convenience of being collapsible for easy carrying and storage when you don't require them. They did not fail me on my Camino and have not on my adventures since.
You can also get lightweight twist and lock if you prefer. I ordered mine online and it was a very easy process too.
It's just a suggestion but if you wish to take a look at what they have to offer just google Helinox site. www.helinox.com.au
Hope this is of some help.

Buen Camino

Camino(s) past & future
Nearly every year since 2006, often walking more than one route. 2018 was Camino #14
Use the search option on each topic and you’ll find hundreds of answers in this forum. These questions have been answered many many times. Buen Camino!

Roger Fleury

Camino(s) past & future
Hey Roger,

Just in regards to your query about walking poles, I originally purchased a set of Helinox walking poles prior to my Camino in 2017. They are extremely lightweight as well as having the convenience of being collapsible for easy carrying and storage when you don't require them. They did not fail me on my Camino and have not on my adventures since.
You can also get lightweight twist and lock if you prefer. I ordered mine online and it was a very easy process too.
It's just a suggestion but if you wish to take a look at what they have to offer just google Helinox site. www.helinox.com.au
Hope this is of some help.

Buen Camino

Hi Kristy,
Thank you for your email.
I have bought a pair of twist and lock and watched all available YouTube videos to learn how to use them.
Need to practice.....
Cheers.
Roger.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 40 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 136 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 222 24.7%