• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Beginner's questions

Roger Fleury

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Del Norte June 2018
Starting from La Carida on the 10th of June.
Where can I park my rented car for 12 days? (Compostella and Fisterra)
Do I need a tent? Or booking albergues essential?
What type of walking sticks? Aluminium or carbon fibre?
Shoes soles type: hard for tracking on rough terrain or soft runners on roads?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Except for the questions about parking I think that you will find your answers by perusing this forum, which has an excellent search function.

Hi Roger. You do not need a tent. There are plenty of albergues and hostals/hotels etc along the route.

You should go and try out different walking poles - the main difference is the weight and the cost. Lighter is better, but they cost more. Some people don't like the ones that have shock absorbers inside because they make noise.

There are plenty of people on the forum that will tell you to wear running shoes, and just as many that will say trail shoes with hard soles for the rocks. Again, that will be your personal preference.

Sorry, don't have any information on parking a car.

Buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Roger. You do not need a tent. There are plenty of albergues and hostals/hotels etc along the route.

You should go and try out different walking poles - the main difference is the weight and the cost. Lighter is better, but they cost more. Some people don't like the ones that have shock absorbers inside because they make noise.

There are plenty of people on the forum that will tell you to wear running shoes, and just as many that will say trail shoes with hard soles for the rocks. Again, that will be your personal preference.

Sorry, don't have any information on parking a car.

Buen camino!
Thank you for the info's.will start booking today.

Hey Roger,

Just in regards to your query about walking poles, I originally purchased a set of Helinox walking poles prior to my Camino in 2017. They are extremely lightweight as well as having the convenience of being collapsible for easy carrying and storage when you don't require them. They did not fail me on my Camino and have not on my adventures since.
You can also get lightweight twist and lock if you prefer. I ordered mine online and it was a very easy process too.
It's just a suggestion but if you wish to take a look at what they have to offer just google Helinox site. www.helinox.com.au
Hope this is of some help.

Buen Camino

Use the search option on each topic and you’ll find hundreds of answers in this forum. These questions have been answered many many times. Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hey Roger,

Just in regards to your query about walking poles, I originally purchased a set of Helinox walking poles prior to my Camino in 2017. They are extremely lightweight as well as having the convenience of being collapsible for easy carrying and storage when you don't require them. They did not fail me on my Camino and have not on my adventures since.
You can also get lightweight twist and lock if you prefer. I ordered mine online and it was a very easy process too.
It's just a suggestion but if you wish to take a look at what they have to offer just google Helinox site. www.helinox.com.au
Hope this is of some help.

Buen Camino

Hi Kristy,
Thank you for your email.
I have bought a pair of twist and lock and watched all available YouTube videos to learn how to use them.
Need to practice.....
Cheers.
Roger.

Back