• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beginning 2021 You must register to travel to Europe

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That should get pinned.
I beg to differ. I don't know why this "news" is doing the rounds again, there's no particular reason for it.

ETIAS is part of large-scale multi-annual multi-country IT projects. From the European Union agency that coordinates and manages them: ETIAS is due to become operational by the end of 2021. Full implementation is expected in the course of 2022.

We are still in 2019.

And even when ETIAS is fully implemented, it will be a bit of a "nothingburger": while you book your airplane ticket online, you will have to fill in a few boxes online and pay a modest sum of a few euros by credit card.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
while you book your airplane ticket online, you will have to fill in a few additional boxes and pay a modest sum
Not while you are booking your ticket. Like the US ESTA or the Canadian eTA, you will fill out an online form with the correct governmental agency and be issued the Etias, which will be good for three years.
It should probably be done before booking tickets.
And as with the ESTA and eTA, there will probably be dozens of commercial websites popping up offering to get your Etias for you for a substantial fee. Always make sure that you deal directly with the official government site to avoid being ripped off.

I would also like to caution against this line in the article linked above:

Through an online system on etiasvisa.com, a travel agency not affiliated with the European government, you should be able to book last-minute trips to Europe.
The website invites you to register your email address so that you can be notified when the "ETIAS visa waiver will be available". There is no need to do this!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not while you are booking your ticket. Like the US ESTA or the Canadian eTa,
I'm sure you are right and I've modified my post. I don't remember the details, it has been a while since I did this for a trip to the USA. I vaguely remember that during the process of booking my airplane ticket I was notified that I had to be registered in ESTA or something like that. In any case, as far as the European ETIAS is concerned, it's futile as the system isn't up and running and will not be up and running for a long time.

The website invites you to register your email address so that you can be notified when the "ETIAS visa waiver will be available". There is no need to do this!
Yup, it looks like that site (and many others that you will find if you Google ETIAS) have been set up waiting for the day when they can charge rip off fees to do something for you that you can do yourself.
In any case, as far as the European ETIAS is concerned, it's futile as the system isn't up and running and will not be up and running for a long time.
Absolutely correct. No need to worry or do anything right now.

So I am talking about my 2021 Group in May/June and what I'm hearing you all say is I should just ignore this? And I"m sorry if it was posted before. Yikes.

So I am talking about my 2021 Group in May/June and what I'm hearing you all say is I should just ignore this? And I"m sorry if it was posted before. Yikes.
I would monitor it until it's official. The last thing I read was that it probably wouldn't be effect until the end of 2021 at the soonest.
I wouldn't bring it up with your group until it's officially in force.
@Kathar1na do you have the web address of the official EU site?

I would monitor it until it's official. The last thing I read was that it probably wouldn't be effect until the end of 2021 at the soonest.
I wouldn't bring it up with your group until it's officially in force.
@Kathar1na do you have the web address of the official EU site?

Here is the official site. There is a drop down menu with information for citizens of different countries affected.

Here is the official site. There is a drop down menu with information for citizens of different countries affected.
Are you sure that's an official site? I thought that official EU sites had dot EU addresses, not dot com addresses. I can find a dozen sites with ETIAS in their names that look somewhat official.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Are you sure that's an official site? I thought that official EU sites had dot EU addresses, not dot com addresses. I can find a dozen sites with ETIAS in their names that look somewhat official.
Actually official EU sites have the domain europa.eu20191120_092730.jpg

Don’t know. It is what I was directed to by a friend in the travel business. I assumed it was an official one...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
do you have the web address of the official EU site?
The European Union agency is called eu-LISA, official name is "European Union Agency for the Operational Management of Large-Scale IT Systems in the Area of Freedom, Security and Justice". They manage several such IT systems, including ETIAS. This is where I got the info about their current timeframe: https://www.eulisa.europa.eu/Newsroom/News/Pages/ETIAS-Regulation-enters-into-force.aspx . But they are dealing mainly with the technical aspects.

It is the European Commission who provides information for the public. There will be more press releases etc when the time comes. They have already a pile of information on ETIAS, including the link you provided in your post or this little fact sheet.

When I google I enter this: Etias site:.europa.eu . This cuts out many useless sites and gives me only official websites of the European Union (mainly Commission, Parliament and Council). The newest info on ETIAS that I've found is a Commission press release from a few weeks ago where a Commissioner states: The Commission also calls on the European Parliament and the Council to reach swift agreement on all pending legislative proposals on security information systems, including the technical implementation of ETIAS and the strengthened Visa Information System.

When they call on Parliament and Council to reach swift agreements, it often means that they are considerably behind schedule because the EU countries can't agree among themselves about how to proceed or (more rarely) because of disagreement between the EU countries and the EU Parliament. 🙂

Last edited:
As with the previous thread please leave politics out of replies.
Please note that if someone breaks the rules inadvertently the posts will be deleted as they have above with the referred posts...but if someone breaks the rules knowingly points will be given.

There was a long long thread on this last March. It's best to rely, as others have noted, on the European Community site than on any travel agency.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm not sure where to put this and whether it's been posted before.
Beginning 2021, USA and other country's citizens will need to register online to travel to Europe:

I recommend making it a resource under "Traveling TO THE CAMINO." I would also title the alert, "Non-EU Citizens Will Need Advance Online Permission to Travel Starting 2021."

It will grab attention that way. This is important as it applies to all other non-US persons as well.

Australia has had a near identical system for something like 20 or more years. The US has had one for EU nationals traveling to the US for at least 15 years. This is just reciprocity in a way,.

Viewed from the border enforcement position, they legitimately want to know who is planning to come, before they show up at an EU airport. It is far easier to say, don't sell this person a ticket, or do not not board them, or refer them to the nearest embassy or consulate to have a potential matter sorted, than it is to deal with someone fresh off a long flight.

It truly is no big deal. But if you fail to follow the new rules, you will not be able to travel to any EU / Schengen country, starting in 2021.

Every country gets to decide who can and cannot come into their country, and to set rules for that passage and entry. We, travelers and pilgrims, only need to comply.

Hope this helps.

I recommend making it a resource under "Traveling TO THE CAMINO." I would also title the alert, "Non-EU Citizens Will Need Advance Online Permission to Travel Starting 2021."

It will grab attention that way. This is important as it applies to all other non-US persons as well.

Australia has had a near identical system for something like 20 or more years. The US has had one for EU nationals traveling to the US for at least 15 years. This is just reciprocity in a way,.

Viewed from the border enforcement position, they legitimately want to know who is planning to come, before they show up at an EU airport. It is far easier to say, don't sell this person a ticket, or do not not board them, or refer them to the nearest embassy or consulate to have a potential matter sorted, than it is to deal with someone fresh off a long flight.

It truly is no big deal. But if you fail to follow the new rules, you will not be able to travel to any EU / Schengen country, starting in 2021.

Every country gets to decide who can and cannot come into their country, and to set rules for that passage and entry. We, travelers and pilgrims, only need to comply.

Hope this helps.

@t2andreo
The system isn't in place yet nor will it be in place until at least end of 2021. Plenty of time to worry then ;-)
BC SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Okay, But I know I will be registered on the first day... one of OCD's side effects... ;)
That's ok but please everyone don't make other people nervous or over-excited about it ;). I just checked the law in question: even when the ETIAS system is operational, there will be a transitional period, namely for a period of six months from the date on which ETIAS starts operations, the use of ETIAS shall be optional and the requirement to be in possession of a valid travel authorisation shall not apply.

And that's not even the end of it because the Commission may extend that period for a maximum of a further six months, renewable once.

So it's in principle possible that it will be 2024 before ETIAS is obligatory ... 😂 ! (Chapter XVI, Final Provisions, Article 83 of Regulation (EU) 2018/1240).

I am reminded of being confronted at Spanish airline security in 2017 over an issue of EU rules applying to prohibited items...

On politely appealing to the supervisor of the initial employee / officer, and SHOWING a printout of the applicable EU rules, I was very politely, but condescendingly, told by the supervisor: "...but señor, this is Spain..." End of argument...

Okay, so don't anyone worry, all will unfold smoothly, without inconsistent application... just as it always does... Buen viaje...

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The U.S equivalent has never stopped Europeans going on holiday to America so I don't see this being an issue really.

The U.S equivalent has never stopped Europeans going on holiday to America so I don't see this being an issue really.
Not true, as I know of several cases where Danish citizens have been (falsely) rejected. Mostly persons that had a name similar to somebody on some obscure agency's watch list.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back