• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beginning Camino Ingles in England

chunter

Time of past OR future Camino
Future, May 2022
I am interested in planning a future walk on the Camino Ingles. I would like to begin my Camino in England, linking one or more of the pilgrimage routes there and then crossing to Spain for the final leg on the Camino Ingles. Have others undertaken this same sort of Journey? I'd love to hear about your experience.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Nothing to stop you walking Southwark to Canterbury to Dover. Where you go from there gets a bit trickier.

You could try Canterbury to Winchester to Portsmouth & a ferry to Bilbao / Santander.

No one in Shoreham by Sea will take you to A Coruna these days though it was a popular route in the 15th Century. In 1423 Thomas Attenhalle would ship you cheerfully, and his minders who would walk you to Santiago and back (just to make sure you did come back). The boys in the Yacht Club these days tell me that France is as far as they go and that not so much since Customs & Excise started getting interested in payable duties again.

What might work is Nottingham to Westminster in memory of Eleanor of Castille https://lookup.london/charing-cross-history/ and then a flight from Gatwick to A Coruna

Edit to add: I have a current inkling to walk from home to Gatwick / Coruna - Santiago - Ferrol -Coruna / Gatwick. I no longer collect Compostella so I'm not worried about confusing the PO. I am a bit gruntled that there's no one in the Yacht Club with any sense of the absurd ;)

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
begin my Camino in England, linking one or more of the pilgrimage routes there and then crossing to Spain for the final leg on the Camino Ingles
Hi @chunter! When you say "crossing" do you mean by sea? Obvious (and traditional) ports would be Ferrol, Coruña and Vigo but there are no ferry connections between these Spanish ports and the ports in England. You would have to sail to Santander or Bilbao where you would be a long way away from the Camino Inglés.

UK ferries.jpg

I am a bit gruntled that there's no one in the Yacht Club with any sense of the absurd ;)

Seems it died out in AD 891

The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle says that one day in 891 three Irishmen landed in Cornwall in a boat with no oars. They said that they wanted to ‘live in a state of pilgrimage, for the love of God, they cared not where.’

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Nothing to stop you walking Southwark to Canterbury to Dover. Where you go from there gets a bit trickier.

You could try Canterbury to Winchester to Portsmouth & a ferry to Bilbao / Santander.

No one in Shoreham by Sea will take you to A Coruna these days though it was a popular route in the 15th Century. In 1423 Thomas Attenhalle would ship you cheerfully, and his minders who would walk you to Santiago and back (just to make sure you did come back). The boys in the Yacht Club these days tell me that France is as far as they go and that not so much since Customs & Excise started getting interested in payable duties again.

What might work is Nottingham to Westminster in memory of Eleanor of Castille https://lookup.london/charing-cross-history/ and then a flight from Gatwick to A Coruna

Edit to add: I have a current inkling to walk from home to Gatwick / Coruna - Santiago - Ferrol -Coruna / Gatwick. I no longer collect Compostella so I'm not worried about confusing the PO. I am a bit gruntled that there's no one in the Yacht Club with any sense of the absurd ;)
St James way from reading to southampton good route with sellas

I am interested in planning a future walk on the Camino Ingles. I would like to begin my Camino in England, linking one or more of the pilgrimage routes there and then crossing to Spain for the final leg on the Camino Ingles. Have others undertaken this same sort of Journey? I'd love to hear about your experience.
Hi, I'm starting my Ingles from Reading cathedral, then walking to Southampton, the CSJ has just waymarked the way I believe, then I will carry on from Ferrol, hopefully the more people hear about this route, the more will try it, I wish you buen camino on your chosen path.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So my wife and I just walked the St James way between Reading and Southampton (and added Portsmouth for good measure!) in Fall of 2022! I posted a daily review of the walk on this site - you can find it by looking at my past posts or searching for it. We walked it from the coast TO Reading, so in Reverse of the “normal” way. In February, I will add Reading to London by walking the Thames Path for a few days just For fun.

The path is fairly well-marked and it’s a lovely trail with enough hills to keep it interesting. Several churches and bars have stamps, though most seemed surprised whenever we asked for one. It has few “Camino” walkers but You’ll see plenty of folks on day walks as it crosses a variety of popular paths. There is zero pilgrim accommodation support, so you’ll be staying at whatever hotel, pub, or inn works out for your distances - it won’t be cheap ($60-$100US a night) like Spain!

From the coast, there are seasonal ferries to Spain, France, Jersey, and Guernsey. We continued our walk from the ferry port in Ouistreham, France across Normandy to Mount St Michel and on to St the ferry port in Sant Malo. Too many details here, but DM me if you want more details.

The CSJ guide to the Southampton route is good, but VERY British 😂 with turn-by-turn instructions and odd details. They offer a CSJ credential and there is even a certificate and patch you can get upon completion of the route.

Like you I would like to do this in the future and follow one of the recognised routes and get stamps then somehow get to A Coruña and continue from there. The British Pilgrimage Trust's website has alot of useful information for you.

Thank you for your input and humour 😊. Being Canadian, ill pull out my maps and think about your suggestions. Yes, looks like ferries go to more easterly tourist ports such as Bilbao so not directly to Ferrol or A Coruna. Your trip "inkling" looks interesting.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have walked the St James Way from Reading to Southampton twice in 2021 and then last year I walked the Camino Ingles from Ferrol. The St James Way is a really beautiful path and there is aguide book that you can get from the Confraternity of St James. Highly recommended. I walked it in June and in early November an dbeautiful weather on both occasions.

I'm hoping to do the Reading to Southampton this year - then later do a boat crossing to Santander. But a bit stuck on the best route by bus/train to Ferrol of Coruna, so if anyone has advice?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
“Best” is subjective. You can fly between Santander and Ferrol - quick, but the priciest option. Bus to Santiago and then bus up to either city. There’s a train to Segovia, then another to Ferrol, but that’s a long ride. There’s a bus to Luarca, then one to Ferrol. Plus other options.

Check Rome2Rio to see costs, dates, hours, etc

As @Vacajoe says, use Rome2Rio but I can tell you that using the FEVE line to Ferrol from Santander will take you 2 days due to the slow speed, many stops on that route - which is beautiful if you have the time (I did).

Train from Santander will be via Madrid, Vigo then up to Ferrol/Coruna on the SdC line.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Would very much recommend Camino Ingles from Reading to Southampton, then get Brittany Ferry from Portsmouth ( could add 2 days to walk there from Southampton or catch train/bus) to Santander and then get to A Coruna or Ferrol. Or fly Gatwick to SDC after training it there from Southampton via Reading.

The Ingles sections in both countries are indeed fabulous and accessing stamps was straightforward, we found a super farm B and B ( was on Booking.com) at end of first leg from Reading, called in at delightful churches, the areal extent of Silchester Roman town was an eye opener, got a stamp at New Alresford Public Library and the librarian we spoke to there had done the Frances and the Appalachian trail.... we were first pilgrims to call there for a stamp! I'm also now a huge fan of Hampshire watercress and receiving our pilgrim alms at St Cross Hospital in Winchester was memorable.

If the end point building on quayside is closed in Southampton (as it was when we called through) then go about 300 yds inland to the Tudor House Museum where they have not only a stamp but also a super little cafe! We did this English part of the route in September 2021 ( had 1 1/2 hours of rain in 5 days) and it was a thrill to be walking again when we had expected to make no camino progress at all that year due to all the travel restrictions!

We then followed up with A Coruna to SDC the following May 2022 and amongst the many highlights along the way, thoroughly enjoyed seeing the locals relishing their first fiestas since 2019. If you are walking in May watch out for these fiestas as they may impact on availability of accommodation and cafes to eat at with spare capacity to squeeze in pilgrims!

Enjoy!

The New Alresford library hours are quite sparse, so we were unable to receive a stamp from them. However, El Pulpo Negro next door was hopping with music, sangria, and tapas that would make a resident of San Sebastian envious!

From the UK and from Madrid you can fly to A Coruna and then get a bus or taxi to Ferrol

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks everyone. I am currently researching (on behalf of my friends who are sick of me talking about various Caminos) a combination of the English pilgrimages combined with the Ingles from A Coruna. This was all very helpful

Would very much recommend Camino Ingles from Reading to Southampton, then get Brittany Ferry from Portsmouth ( could add 2 days to walk there from Southampton or catch train/bus) to Santander and then get to A Coruna or Ferrol. Or fly Gatwick to SDC after training it there from Southampton via Reading.

The Ingles sections in both countries are indeed fabulous and accessing stamps was straightforward, we found a super farm B and B ( was on Booking.com) at end of first leg from Reading, called in at delightful churches, the areal extent of Silchester Roman town was an eye opener, got a stamp at New Alresford Public Library and the librarian we spoke to there had done the Frances and the Appalachian trail.... we were first pilgrims to call there for a stamp! I'm also now a huge fan of Hampshire watercress and receiving our pilgrim alms at St Cross Hospital in Winchester was memorable.

If the end point building on quayside is closed in Southampton (as it was when we called through) then go about 300 yds inland to the Tudor House Museum where they have not only a stamp but also a super little cafe! We did this English part of the route in September 2021 ( had 1 1/2 hours of rain in 5 days) and it was a thrill to be walking again when we had expected to make no camino progress at all that year due to all the travel restrictions!

We then followed up with A Coruna to SDC the following May 2022 and amongst the many highlights along the way, thoroughly enjoyed seeing the locals relishing their first fiestas since 2019. If you are walking in May watch out for these fiestas as they may impact on availability of accommodation and cafes to eat at with spare capacity to squeeze in pilgrims!

Enjoy!
Could you possibly let me know where you stayed? I can't seem to find much buy the way of accommodation. Thanks

Are you looking for places to stay in England, Spain, or both?!?! Use Gronze.com for accommodations, info, and maps on the Camino Ingles. For Reading to Southampton, there are no set pilgrim accommodations. When I walked it in 2022, I used Booking.com to find stays near the designated route.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am just looking at the Reading to Southampton leg first. Did you call taxis to take you off route to accommodation? Thanks

Oh no, walked 100% of the way! We modified the stages as laid out by the guide to fit our pace and to stop in places where hotels were available.

We stayed in:
- Reading
- Tadley
- Basingstoke
- North Waltham
- New Alresford
- Winchester

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
DM me if you want the specific names.

This one is in Little London but we stayed in Basingstoke. Luckily I have a friend who lives near the second half of the route so stayed there.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This one is in Little London but we stayed in Basingstoke. Luckily I have a friend who lives near the second half of the route so stayed there.
Not sure if people are aware, but the British pilgrim Trust have just got a route from Canterbury to Southampton, using an old old 1300c map, starting it next month, if any one is interested I will post my updates

🙏

Not sure if people are aware, but the British pilgrim Trust have just got a route from Canterbury to Southampton, using an old old 1300c map, starting it next month, if any one is interested I will post my updates
Yes!

I did the Reading to Southampton St James Way twice and the second time was leading a group. The pilgrim infrastructure of places to stay and baggage movement is not there yet. I needed twin rooms so we stayed in Premier Inn hotels in Reading, Basingstoke, Winchester and Southampton as bases and used taxis when needed to move things as well as the train to get to or go back to base. So Reading two nights, basingstoke West one night, Winchester 3 nights and southampton 1. It worked well considering.
If only walking as one person or a couple probably easier to find accommodation along the way.

Can anyone suggest a route itinerary by any chance?

All hypothetical at the moment but I could probably walk 25-30km per day. Fortunately too, I live locally, so could forego the accommodation costs.

All hypothetical at the moment but I could probably walk 25-30km per day. Fortunately too, I live locally, so could forego the accommodation costs.
If you look on the British pilgrims Trust website, there's a lot about the "old way", I do believe they have the route mapped via OS maps, & have a list of sanctuary's to use, which may be church halls, churches ect....

One possible research option is to look on the British Pilgrimages Trust website , you can find a section about routes / pilgrimages and look on the map for south east England and find Reading to Southampton you can see the route in their map.

Thanks @dimdog and @Shropshire lass.

Rough plan:

Reading to Silchester: 13 miles (21km)

Silchester to Preston Candover: 17.5 miles (28km)

Preston Candover to Winchester via New Alresford: 17.5miles (28km)

Winchester to Southampton: 12.5 miles (20km)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
How many days for what?!!? Where are you starting and where are you ending?

To get from Reading to Southampton. Is it doable in 4 days or is 5 more realistic? Thanks
Maybe! ATM the days are long and if your legs and feet are up to it; it's possible. My missus ran it: Reading-Dummer, Dummer-Winchester, Winchester-Southampton ***on non-consecutive days***

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Maybe! ATM the days are long and if your legs and feet are up to it; it's possible. My missus ran it: Reading-Dummer, Dummer-Winchester, Winchester-Southampton ***on non-consecutive days***
Thanks. Yes, the splits are another consideration given that there aren't masses of towns to end the day or even stay overnight

Yeah, accommodation and your feet/legs are your bottle neck

The need for finding accommodation at the end of each stage really dictates how far you can go daily, unless you have someone with a car to pick you up! Many of the towns you pass through have train stations or bus access, so that’s another option if you are not simply through-walking. Without a pack, three days is certainly doable if your journey is during the summer months with the extended daylight. Also, you can follow busier roads and skip some of the meandering parts for a shorter journey overall. For us, we chose a slower journey to truly enjoy the countryside.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not that this addresses you question directly, I just wanted to let you know that the Camino Ingles is waymarked on part of the Pilgrims’ Way out of Winchester. It was fun seeing camino markers in England.

The need for finding accommodation at the end of each stage really dictates how far you can go daily, unless you have someone with a car to pick you up! Many of the towns you pass through have train stations or bus access, so that’s another option if you are not simply through-walking. Without a pack, three days is certainly doable if your journey is during the summer months with the extended daylight. Also, you can follow busier roads and skip some of the meandering parts for a shorter journey overall. For us, we chose a slower journey to truly enjoy the countryside.
I'm sure I've seen it somewhere but would you be able to share your itinerary perhaps? :)

Not that this addresses you question directly, I just wanted to let you know that the Camino Ingles is waymarked on part of the Pilgrims’ Way out of Winchester. It was fun seeing camino markers in England.
Yes, I was Umming and Ahhing about throwing in the towel with my job and setting off to do the Camino and then I saw one of the waymarkers and I really did think it was a sign!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just reread my thread from this walk and realize that I didn’t put any accommodation names into it. This is likely because they were NOT pilgrim-oriented and we picked them simply because they were there. We paid between 60£ and £120 a night for two of us and stayed at pubs, inns, and an AirBnB. No recommendations other than Google Maps was our friend when trying to find a place to stay the night.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Last month, I walked Reading to Southampton, St James' Way. The guide book from the Confraternity of St James, along with their waymarking, was excellent. I would have preferred to go by sea to Spain, but settled for a flight from Gatwick. I will continue the Camino Ingles from A'Coruna on Sunday :D

Reflecting on my Camino from A'Coruna, I realise that I received a lot of help and encouragement from strangers. Not least was advice and enjoyment of reading others' accounts from this forum. I learnt a great deal and was more prepared than otherwise. I can also recommend the app Buen Camino for en route, which someone on this forum recommended. Thank you.
I had fears of getting lost or not being able to communicate. The one time we were unsure of the route, a man noticed and told us in perfect English the way. We did not have any trouble getting by with the very little Spanish we had. The Spanish people are generous and patient.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back