• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beginning from San Sebastian June 5th 2016

Barry Gavin

Time of past OR future Camino
June 5th 2016
Hi there,

Starting my first ever camino on June 5th 2016. Flying to Bilbao from Ireland before getting the bus to San Sebastian. I know I'm going back on myself but I want to do as much as possible. Anyone going around the same time, or can anyone give me advice about anything at all, as I'm new to this!!

Thanks
Barry.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Barry Gavin! Welcome to the fórum!

Enjoy every step and every stop of your camino. Don't rush and enjoy the scenery. And don't miss the pintxos in San Sebastián!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Barry

San Sebastián, what a great place to start a Camino. The food is terrific - in particular enjoy the many pinxos bars in the old town.

As Tincatinker says, start slowly. Especially during the first two weeks, while the body adjusts to the steady walking, day after day. Don't set too many objectives; let overnight locations sort themselves out. Just enjoy the time, with you, your pack, the path, an occasional walking companion and nothing much else. Life becomes very simple for a while.

Don't be afraid to walk solo. A simple "Buen Camino" to a walking companion is all that courtesy requires to set off alone, or to stay behind to let a companion walk ahead. There is plenty of opportunity to catch up socially in the evenings.

If you let it, walking the Camino can be an adventure of a lifetime. Enjoy. Buen Camino.

Peter

The first third of the Norte is just beautiful, you will love it. Unlike @Elizabay suggests, and having walked that stretch, I do beleive a bit more planning is required because albergues are not a dime a dozen, not found every 5km or so, like they are on the Frances. So carry some information about where albergues are located and when they are open as some may open only later in the season. Best thing I learned on the Norte is to make your main meal of the day the lunch, around 2-3pm, and ordering the menu del dia, and then just having a snack in the evening. Gorgeous food is then to be had.

This is also the route that did my left foot in with plantar fasciitis (a lot more road walking perhaps?) so stretch and ice those feet when you can to prevent inflammation.

Good man Barry, We all wish you well on your first Camino. Two nice beaches in San Sebastian, be careful you don't stay there for a week! Don't know what locals will leave out for pilgrims at this time of year. Last September it was figs, walnuts, hazlenuts & apples.

Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hopefully see you on the road, I start on June 7th. my first time, too.

Good man Barry, We all wish you well on your first Camino. Two nice beaches in San Sebastian, be careful you don't stay there for a week!

Ditto from me. I'll be leaving Irun on June 3rd, then checking out one or both of those beaches in San Sebastián on the 4th to get over some of the jet lag and travel fatigue. I start walking in earnest on the 5th, so I may run into you, Barry.

I second Anemone's suggestion of getting to your night's accommodation, having the menu del dia, then chores, laundry, sightseeing and a siesta...or another glass of vino tinto. My idea of an ideal Camino experience. I had foot problems on the LePuy route and on the Coast to Coast in northern England, so paying attention to your feet and legs, doing stretches and dealing with "hot spots" immediately is really important. Even then, there may be problems to get through, but take it easy, and enjoy whatever comes your way.

Buen Camino,
Dick

Hi there,

Starting my first ever camino on June 5th 2016. Flying to Bilbao from Ireland before getting the bus to San Sebastian. I know I'm going back on myself but I want to do as much as possible. Anyone going around the same time, or can anyone give me advice about anything at all, as I'm new to this!!

Thanks
Barry.

Barry:

This is my favorite Camino. Lots of great sea views and some very nice communal Albergues.

There is a nice private Albergue in Orio, right on the Camino. It is a short first day but this is a Camino you want to ease into.

Ultreya,
Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Looking to start from Irún around 2/3 June. Hope to cross paths with some of you.

-Brian

Leaving Irun on 9th June. Hope to catch up on route, Greg, Julie & our 14 year old....Brendan

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm looking forward to doing the camino this September2017. I'm from Dublin Ireland . I would appreciate any help as to where i fly into? Sorry guys I know nothing about it! Regards paddy K

I'm looking forward to doing the camino this September2017. I'm from Dublin Ireland . I would appreciate any help as to where i fly into? Sorry guys I know nothing about it! Regards paddy K

Hi Paddy, I assume that you're planning to walk the Camino del Norte, as you've posted your question in that section.
I'm walking the first stages of this Camino in May. I'm flying Ryanair from Dublin to Biarritz and taking a bus from Biarritz airport to Hendaye. Here's a link to the bus timetable - there's one every hour. If you're starting in Irun, it's an easy walk there from Hendaye.

The Ryanair flight from Dublin is always full of excited pilgrims, as Biarritz is also the closest airport for the more popular Camino Francés.

Buen Camino and happy planning!

G'day All,

My wife and I plan to walk out of Irun on the 5th of June this year. Agree with the sentiment shared above, always good to know what your accommodation options are and then go with the flow of the day........each day is different - body, mind, soul, environment and people. Also, a late lunch is our preferred meal as eating late at night (starting after 8 pm) can lead to late nights and then late starts the next morning..........but that said - some days ;-).

Enjoy the craic, Buen Camino

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back