• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beginning from SJPdP on June 5-anyone else?

LynneR

Time of past OR future Camino
CF '16, '18
Hello,
After several posts asking questions (thank you for the help, by the way), I booked my flight. If all goes as planned, I will begin the CF from SJPdP on June 5th. I am wondering if anyone else is planning around this time. I like to know there are familiar pilgrims around me-especially at the beginning.

I have walked two partial Caminos. The second time, from Burgos, I went alone. I met people, but I remember the loneliness I felt for days at the beginning. This time I am solo for the full 500 miles and I am freaking out a bit about that!!! So I decided to throw out this message in case I can make someone's acquaintance.

Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not too far ahead of you as my wife and I start on 2nd June.
Buen Camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Why freak out? I would recommend staying at Bellari which takes reservations I think and is just across from the pilgrim office. They have a very warm and welcoming albergue with a circle discussion before the communal meal where everyone speaks for a few moments and then a great communal dinner. You will surely meet some nice people. If they are booked go look on Gronze.com or here about other albergues that are not too big and also have a communal meal. One thing I learned staying in an albergue at the beginning of a camino is that there are lots of first timers freaking out looking to talk to an experienced pilgrim. They want advice and someone to talk to and most of all just to be heard. One thing I love to do is when I meet a new pilgrim with a huge pack is to go through the pack with them and show them all the things they brought that they should leave behind. The way is long enough and hard enough without all that extra weight! It is lots of fun and laughs. You have experience so reach out to a new pilgrim and I am sure you will have no problems at all. When you are walking a Buen Camino and a How are you? Can often do the trick to start a lifetime friendship. Even if it is just for an hour.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hehe 😄 ... anyone?

You will meet more than a hundred pilgrims starting at SJPdP the same day.

Stay overnight at any albergue (I’d recommend Beilari) the night before and you will meet plenty of peregrinos.
Making friends for the rest of your pilgrimage (may be for life).

Starting from SJPdP is different than starting from e.g. Burgos or any other place on the way.
Pilgrims leaving from SJPdP haven‘t formed their cloud of pilgrim family yet.
It all begins in the pyrenees while pilgrims in Burgos are walking together for many days already.

Don‘t worry ...

Buen camino

Last edited:
Hello,
After several posts asking questions (thank you for the help, by the way), I booked my flight. If all goes as planned, I will begin the CF from SJPdP on June 5th. I am wondering if anyone else is planning around this time. I like to know there are familiar pilgrims around me-especially at the beginning.

I have walked two partial Caminos. The second time, from Burgos, I went alone. I met people, but I remember the loneliness I felt for days at the beginning. This time I am solo for the full 500 miles and I am freaking out a bit about that!!! So I decided to throw out this message in case I can make someone's acquaintance.

Thank you!
Hi Lynne
I’ll be 2 days behind you, leaving Saint Jean on 7th June. I’m also walking alone but I’m sure I’ll meet plenty of people all feeling just as nervous as me on the first day.
Buen Camino
Marie

June is a great month to walk the Frances. When I did it in June the weather was absolutely perfect the entire route. Light to medium bit of rain on only two days.
buen Camino and ultreia

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hehe 😄 ... anyone?

You will meet more than a hundred pilgrims starting at SJPdP the same day.

Stay overnight at any albergue (I’d recommend Beilari) the night before and you will meet plenty of peregrinos.
Making friends for the rest of your pilgrimage (may be for life).

Starting from SJPdP is different than starting from e.g. Burgos or any other place on the way.
Pilgrims leaving from SJPdP haven‘t formed their cloud of pilgrim family yet.
It all begins in the pyrenees while pilgrims in Burgos are walking together for many days already.

Don‘t worry ...

Buen camino

Thanks
Yes, so true. I know there will be many pilgrims. Just hoping to connect early with someone...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I cant wait to be back on the trail.

I'd love to start in June, but because June has much more rainy days than July i still consider July to walk.
Some mountain trails are just messy when it rains and also for drying your clothes its better to have more sunny days.
Also the whole Corona thing is hopefully done by that time. I really doubt it by now. :(

This year the summer in europe seems to be warmer than last year from what i researched. If so, i'd be also starting in June, just because i cant wait till July. haha

Dont worry for being alone, its best to connect with other pilgrims and also you dont have ties to find your own pace.

Buen Camino.

(Cross fingers) I will be staying at Beilari on May 29 starting out from SJPdP on May 30. Walking alone as well. Hope to say hello to you all! :) Warm regards!

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back