• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beginning in Sept.

Douglas Simpson

Hello everyone,
I am beginning my Camino in SJPP in late September. I am planning on 5 weeks. My purchases are almost complete except for poles which I think to get in SJPP. I am wondering about a sleeping bag as I like to be cozy..any suggestions?
Thanks, Madeline

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello everyone,
I am beginning my Camino in SJPP in late September. I am planning on 5 weeks. My purchases are almost complete except for poles which I think to get in SJPP. I am wondering about a sleeping bag as I like to be cozy..any suggestions?
Thanks, Madeline
me going at that time, see camino events diary - I am just taking a liner - hope I wont regret it!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
We walked Sept/early Oct 2013 and took these:
http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/travelpak-traveller.
They open up to use as cover only. No regrets! 850g. Comfort zone to 7C. We are in 6th and 7th decades and do like our comforts; seldom felt too hot. Will be taking them again this year, same time-scale.

Hello everyone,
Thanks, Madeline
Hi Douglas
Brrrr. Yes, some nights, and good to feel cozy having a lightweight sleeping bag .

Check out the 'sea to summit' range. (I'm not too good at posting links sorry ).
Mine could completely unzip if needed but also could be zipped up whilst still being able to undo (tie/pull) at the feet if you want to free your feet.

Buen camino
Annie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello everyone,
Thanks, Madeline

I might run into you - I'm starting from St Jean Pied de Port on September 21 and I am also planning to take five weeks to walk to Compostela.

I have bought one of these sleeping bags to take with me:
https://www.trekandtravel.com.au/product_detail.asp?id=365&cat=3&subcat=40

I'm not sure if it will be warm enough - the store assistant seemed to be a bit skeptical that this was the appropriate sleeping bag for when I'll be in Spain, but I didn't want to take anything heavier. If I have nights where I feel a bit cold I'll wear some extra clothing.

Hola

I don't like to be cold at night and although most albergues has blankets, my packing list is made to make sure I can handle most situations.
Sleeping being daily activity, is at top of that list.

Buy the most affordable, light weight, synthetic down sleeping bag is my suggestion.
Synthetic so it is easy to wash in washing machines, and most probably you don't need real down for a September walk.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

I might run into you - I'm starting from St Jean Pied de Port on September 21 and I am also planning to take five weeks to walk to Compostela.

I have bought one of these sleeping bags to take with me:
https://www.trekandtravel.com.au/product_detail.asp?id=365&cat=3&subcat=40

I'm not sure if it will be warm enough - the store assistant seemed to be a bit skeptical that this was the appropriate sleeping bag for when I'll be in Spain, but I didn't want to take anything heavier. If I have nights where I feel a bit cold I'll wear some extra clothing.

My start date is still vague....so excited!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My start date is still vague....so excited!
Regarding sleeping bag. I purchased a Northface Aleutian 55 for under $50.00 US. and it only weighs 680 grams. It has been upgraded recently with double zippers, and the price is a bit more, but you should be able to find the older model on Campmor.com. Should be fine for sleeping in Albergues. My husband and I are leaving SJPP on September 12th.

Hello everyone,
Thanks, Madeline

Next time I do the Camino, I'll take a very lightweight down quilt, rather than a sleeping bag, to save weight. I'll use this with a silk liner (also lightweight), so I am not lying directly on the bunk. The quilt will weigh well under one pound. Of course I will use a small compression sack to get that quilt into the smallest size possible to fit in my pack. The lightest quilts are made of cuben fiber, which is expensive, but there are other relatively lightweight alternatives. The quilt option is discussed here: http://smackpacker.com/2010/04/12/quilt-trip/

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would agree with those who say bring a lightweight sleeping bag for that time of year, it can get chilly at night in the mountains. My bag is a light down filled bag that comes in at 700g and I also bring a silk liner for the warm nights.
Buen Camino.

Hi Madeline,
My first Camino was also in late Sept / Oct last year. I took a silk liner and light-weight down bag - sent the bag home from Pamplona. Replaced it with a fleece throw that was lighter weight and worked well with layered wool clothes. On occasion I grabbed an albergue blanket, but seldom needed it. This year (starting earlier in Sept), I'm taking the silk liner that will go inside another liner, and again layer clothes and use albergue blankets if necessary - I hope that works - they weigh less and take up much less room in the pack. I'm closing in on 70 (!), and also walk alone. It's WONDERFUL!!
Buen Camino!
Terry

I am also going in late August through Sep/Oct and am taking a 1 lb. down sleeping bag that can be unzipped to a blanket.

Hey Nancy,

What sleeping bag is that? I am thinking about buying a new sleepingbag/quilt that can unzipp to a blanket. I am looking at one from Enlighted equiptment (the revelation pro).
My current down bag is pretty good and the weight is only 750 grams, which is excellent, but it is just too hot for the months that i will walk caminos, may and/or sept. Better for outdoors.
I also think a blanket style quilt/bag is much for comfortable for indoor use.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey Nancy,

What sleeping bag is that? I am thinking about buying a new sleepingbag/quilt that can unzipp to a blanket. I am looking at one from Enlighted equiptment (the revelation pro).
My current down bag is pretty good and the weight is only 750 grams, which is excellent, but it is just too hot for the months that i will walk caminos, may and/or sept. Better for outdoors.
I also think a blanket style quilt/bag is much for comfortable for indoor use.
Dutch, I just saw your post. My sleeping bag is a down bag from Mount Bell Alpin3 Down Hugger Thermal Sheet 800 . It is good to 50 degrees Fahrenheit. It weighs about 1 pound.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back