• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beginning my preparations - Why? Where? How? etc.

• Thread starter Former member 105117
  • Start date
F

Former member 105117

Had you asked me, as little as three months ago, what I knew of the Camino, I'd have said it was a single route, like the Appalachian Trail. I had no idea there were such different paths. Each has an appeal, for me. And, while, at this moment, I plan to walk The Francis, this may change. The del Norte, The Primivito and The Portuguese top the list... although The Via de La Plata has its draw. I've even considered combining The Portuguese and the Primivito. But, perhaps, too ambitious to start off.
I wish I could say, with absolute certainty, that I would be back to do those other routes. I truly want to. Life has showed me, this past year, that I may propose, but God will dispose.
So, I want to make the best of this one, with a hope for another...and, another.

So far, flights from where I am to Biarritz and either walk (which I so want to do) to St Jean Pied-du-Port or grab a train seems the best way forward. And, a big part of deciding which route to take is the knowledge that my Baby Duck would have chosen The Francis. She was much more the people person, than am I.
People will, I'm sure, look at my 50L pack and shake their head. But I do have a bit of experience with carrying a pack and have 5 months to get myself ready. My thinking is, if I am prepared to live out of my pack for a couple of days, I won't limit myself to where I can stay. I imagine the possibility of paying some farmer a small bit to allow me to sleep at the edge of his field.
(I post these things so that the more seasoned Pilgrims can point out the error of my thinking. Please be kind)

It's early, yet, and I still am working out my personal packing list. But, one thing that is a must, and has been on every trip I've ever taken, is a copy of one of Robert Fulghum's books. I begin most days when I am adventuring by reading a portion of his book, to help put me in that place where, as Mr. Fulghum says, I can be "aware of wonder".
Over the years, I've developed a set response, when I mention how much I enjoy his books and someone asks me why. I share one, particular bit from one of his books. One Christmas, Mr. Fulghum used a cassette tape (I am dating myself, here. If you don't know about cassette tapes, ask your grandparents) and recorded Christmas songs on the tape. Then, he took the cassette apart and used the tape as ribbon to wrap all the presents. When I tell people that, I can see by the look on their face that, they get it and I don't need to explain further... or, they don't get it and I just smile.

I've also begun to brush up on my Spanish. I will mispronounce the words and the locals will laugh and correct me. But, most will, I hope, appreciate the effort.

I might still not be totally sure which route I'll walk. But I know where my Camino's beginning. It began when I stopped and watched my sun rise and decided that I would walk.

Buen Camino and, Ultreia e suseta

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
People will, I'm sure, look at my 50L pack and shake their head
Let 'em. There's a silly game some people play in trying to outdo each other in how little weight they carry, or how small the pack. The idea that smaller is bettet is just an idea. I prefer a larger pack partly full to a smaller one stuffed to the gills. It's more comfortable, and easier to access what's in there, which surely is the point. (Besides, it'll be a more stable platform for your duck. 🙃)

The main thing is to take less than you think you'll need, because weight does count - but not to be obsessive about reducing it.

I might still not be totally sure which route I'll walk. But I know where my Camino's beginning. It began when I stopped and watched my sun rise and decided that I would walk.
Absolutely.
Buen camino, @Duckadang , wherever you go!

What is the book you’ll take with you? Buen Camino and welcome to this treasure trove of a forum.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would advise you spend a fair bit of time reading posts on the various route forums and thinking about what you are seeking on your Camino
If you want companionship, social contact, lots of opportunities for distraction then look at the heavily traveled Caminos, mainly the Frances
If you are seeking solitude, an environment complimentary to mediation, introspection, and communing with Mother Nature perhaps the less traveled Caminos would suit you better.
Time of year matters as well of course. I did my past Camino in April-May and for me that was perfect. I am planning to repeat in April May 2023. I found the Camino del Norte between Bilbao and Ribadesella, and the Camino Primitivo between Oviedo and Lugo to be a perfect environment for peace, tranquility, and regaining a sense of gratitude and appreciation for the beauty and bounty that I have been blessed with.
I am planning on walking those sections again, as well as the Ruta Del Mar which I am very excited about.
I was like you in 2018. No idea of what I was really getting into, but as they say, a journey of 1000 miles begins with the 1st step. All my obsessive planning and worrying really amounted to zilch! Once I started walking, the magnificent countryside of Northern Spain and its lovely people as well as my fellow Peregrinos y Peregrinas seemed to take care of all of my needs.
Good luck to you and buen Camino!

If your plan is to walk right away, you may want to look into starting in Biarritz and walking to Bayonne (7.5 k) where the Camino Baztan begins - it goes from there to Trinidad de Arre (just short of Pamplona) where it joins the Camino Frances. The Baztan is a less-traveled route and, you might say, stretches out the beauty of the first two days of walking from St Jean over the Pyrenees to over 100k of stunning and quiet terrain. Fewer pilgrims, yes, but good accommodations, food, people, and three or four more days in the heart of the Basque country. (You'd miss the first three days of the Frances as it's walked now: St Jean to Roncesvalles to Zubiri to Pamplona) .
Here's a link:

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you're plan is to walk right away, you may want to look into starting in Biarritz and walking to Bayonne (7.5 k) where the Camino Baztan begins - it goes from there to Trinidad de Arre (just short of Pamplona) where it joins the Camino Frances. The Baztan is a less-traveled route and, you might say, stretches out the beauty of the first two days of walking from St Jean over the Pyrenees to over 100k of stunning and quiet terrain. Fewer pilgrims, yes, but good accommodations, food, people, and three or four more days in the heart of the Basque country. (You'd miss the first three days of the Frances as it's walked now: St Jean to Roncesvalles to Zubiri to Pamplona) .
Here's a link:
This sounds like a great option. Will most definitely look into it. Many thanks.
Buen Camino

This sounds like a great option. Will most definitely look into it. Many thanks.
Buen Camino
Just after looking at The Camino Baztan. Amazing how a simple post can alter the course of a life. For me, this sounds the perfect walk.

I believe that every person that enters your life, comes with a lesson to teach you. It's up to you to figure out what that lesson is and learn from it.

I plan to post most all my preparations... and read every comment given. Just this morning, after posting that I wanted to walk from Biarritz, I was told about The Camino Baztan and, as quick as a hick-up, MY Camino has changed.

Yesterday, I bought new shoes so that I can have the time to really break them in and subject them (and my feet) to walks similar to the Camino. I'm lucky in that I have access to a track of over a hundred kilometers near to me, where I can walk for days.
On the advice of a friend, I went looking for a new brand of shoe... one he wears. I won't offer the name, as I'm not into offering technical advice or opinion. All I'll say is that the new brand didn't work for me. Maybe, if I'd had a few kilometers to test them... but, at 200+ dollars...
In the end, I went with the brand I've worn for a long time, now. Putting them on in the store felt like running into a friend at the coffee shop... maybe she has on a new dress or changed her hair style. But, it was my friend...

I've read many posts and looked at many sites that talk about what I can "get from the Camino". One comment struck me. "Don't put too much pressure on the Camino to change you". If religion is your aim, God will speak to you, no matter where you walk...if you listen. Of course, there is a bit from Robert Fulghum that I think of, as well. The grass is not greener on the other side of the fence. Fences have nothing to do with it. The grass is greener where it is watered. When you cross the fence, carry water with you and tend the grass, wherever you may be.

For me, I'm not looking for what I might get from the Camino. But, I will remain open to possibilities. What I will do is what I always do, on any walk. Years ago, when my son was small, I taught him a saying "Leave it better than you found it". It's a message I'm proud to know he carries with him, and has passed it to HIS son.
On the list of essentials for MY Camino, I'll carry a roll of trash bags. I'm not going to police the entire route. But, should I find some discarded plastic or such, I am ready. I also plan to carry at least one un-opened bottle of water and a few bits of extra supplies. Again, should I meet a fellow pilgrim in need, I'm ready.
I've found that, most often, somewhere along my journey through life, I will be offered the opportunity to be the better ME. It's always my choice to embrace that opportunity.

Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are many subtopics and threads on here with people's opinions about shoes, sleeping bags, hiking poles, backpacks, food, albergues, routes, etc. More than enough for you to read to get a feel for things...for the most part posts here are just from an individual posting their opinion or experience so take what is posted with that in mind. Lots of things to ponder and decide whether it is right for you. Lots of helpful and sometimes not so helpful tips. Sometimes there is bickering between forum members with differing viewpoints, but the moderators try to keep that in check. Overall, it is a great place to lose yourself in Camino details if you have the time and here you don't have to explain to anyone what the Camino is or why you want to walk a pilgrimage. Lots of good accounts, too, in the Live from the Camino section.

Unless they are leather, modern hiking shoes do not require a long "break in" period, and you risk wearing them out!
What I did was find shoes that I thought would work well for me, and I used them to train in before the Camino. When I knew that they were THE shoes I bought a second pair of the same model that I wore for a couple of long walks to make sure that there were no manufacturing defects.

Had you asked me, as little as three months ago, what I knew of the Camino, I'd have said it was a single route, like the Appalachian Trail. I had no idea there were such different paths. Each has an appeal, for me. And, while, at this moment, I plan to walk The Francis, this may change. The del Norte, The Primivito and The Portuguese top the list... although The Via de La Plata has its draw. I've even considered combining The Portuguese and the Primivito. But, perhaps, too ambitious to start off.
I wish I could say, with absolute certainty, that I would be back to do those other routes. I truly want to. Life has showed me, this past year, that I may propose, but God will dispose.
So, I want to make the best of this one, with a hope for another...and, another.

So far, flights from where I am to Biarritz and either walk (which I so want to do) to St Jean Pied-du-Port or grab a train seems the best way forward. And, a big part of deciding which route to take is the knowledge that my Baby Duck would have chosen The Francis. She was much more the people person, than am I.
People will, I'm sure, look at my 50L pack and shake their head. But I do have a bit of experience with carrying a pack and have 5 months to get myself ready. My thinking is, if I am prepared to live out of my pack for a couple of days, I won't limit myself to where I can stay. I imagine the possibility of paying some farmer a small bit to allow me to sleep at the edge of his field.
(I post these things so that the more seasoned Pilgrims can point out the error of my thinking. Please be kind)

It's early, yet, and I still am working out my personal packing list. But, one thing that is a must, and has been on every trip I've ever taken, is a copy of one of Robert Fulghum's books. I begin most days when I am adventuring by reading a portion of his book, to help put me in that place where, as Mr. Fulghum says, I can be "aware of wonder".
Over the years, I've developed a set response, when I mention how much I enjoy his books and someone asks me why. I share one, particular bit from one of his books. One Christmas, Mr. Fulghum used a cassette tape (I am dating myself, here. If you don't know about cassette tapes, ask your grandparents) and recorded Christmas songs on the tape. Then, he took the cassette apart and used the tape as ribbon to wrap all the presents. When I tell people that, I can see by the look on their face that, they get it and I don't need to explain further... or, they don't get it and I just smile.

I've also begun to brush up on my Spanish. I will mispronounce the words and the locals will laugh and correct me. But, most will, I hope, appreciate the effort.

The French is probably the best to do as a first Camino, because of the infrastructure and the number of people. If you like people there is a greater opportunity tomedt themon the French.
As far as packing, you can get pretty anything you need along the way. I remember my first Camino, (theFrench) you could have kitted yourself out with the amount of gear people left at Albergues over the first few days. For me part of the Camino is evaluating what you really need or what is important to you. One other piece of advice, don’t overthink it, enjoy it, good luck.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Hi Duckadang

Greetings from Gympie. We, (my wife and I) will also be hiking the Camino in May, and because we are seasoned hikers who love hiking in nature, and after much (TOO MUCH!) research, have decided to do the Primitivo. Because of it's length, we will be able to take our time and my wife will be able to 'stop and smell the roses' as she tends to do, much to my frustration at times. I tend to just enjoy the walk but realize the Camino will be completely different to anything we have done before. As for the pack, I am looking forward to carrying as little as possible, (usually my pack weight is anywhere between 10-14kg depending on amount of days) hopefully around 7kg, and it will be a blessing not having to carry tent etc. Have a fantastic Camino whichever one you choose.

Buen Camino

Hiya, Neighbor.
Can you do "too much research"? It seems every time I think I have a plan set, someone offers me something else to consider...which is a good thing!
I'm pretty sure I'll be doing the Batzan and rolling into the Francis around Pamplona. It just seems to offer a perfect balance.
Buen Camino and Ultreia e suseta!

I'm not sure how much time you have, but something to consider if you start with the Baztan is that it obviously joins the Frances and you could wander along that......then when you get to Leon you can always turn right and go up the San Salvador and then along the Primitivo - or if you were enjoying the Frances you might stay on that until Ponferrada, at which point you would have the option to prolong your walk by turning left and taking the Invierno. Once you get to Santiago (whichever route you take) you can always continue your walk to Fisterra and/or Muxia. And if time is no object, you could hop on a train and head south, then walk northwards again - on the Via de la Plata (make sure you do the Sanabres at the end of that), or the Portuguese (either from Lisbon or Porto or anywhere in between) or the Mozarabe (four options to choose from with that one!), or the Madrid route.......options abound!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Why do we choose the route we choose? Do we even make the choice? Or, does the Camino decide and speak to us in that way that we can't help but respond?
I had decided that I would walk The Francis. Not because it was my first choice. I chose it because it would have been HER choice. My Baby Duck would have been sitting amonst those pilgrims, laughing and sharing stories, at the end of the day. I would have been content to sit back and quietly watch... though she would have pulled me out of myself and into the moment. I would have looked for the quiet path. She would have met and made friends with many.
Then, suddenly, The Camino offered The Batzan, which joins the Francis. As with every journey we have made, together, this walk now becomes a shared experience... the give and take that makes any journey shared so much the better.
From the moment that I was told of the Batzan option, my Camino has become easier. Those questions that plague pilgrims that venture from far away places... and, Nanango, Queensland, Australia is a very long way from Santiago de Compostela, are slowly falling away.
Was I meant to walk the Batzan? I'm not sure I believe that. What I do believe is that three weeks ago, I had no idea where I would be, tomorrow, much less, next year. Then, suddenly, from a morning's red-gold sunrise, the idea was borne to walk The Way. Once that decision was made, I tried each route, in my mind, to gauge its fit, and a route not even mentioned in the many sites I previewed presented itself. Had my wife and I sat down and planned this walk together, we would have chosen the path I now choose... a meeting of two that is one... meeting her needs and my wants.
If you should see me along The Way and I seem withdrawn, please don't take offense. If you sit with your friends- old and new, sharing the camaraderie you came to find and you happen to see me alone, in some quiet place I've chosen, don't think me rude. We each walk OUR Way.
I 'see' myself in the photos of the Batzan. I can feel the ground beneath me- there- as I lay on my mat-here. This is how I know it's right.
This was never a religious endeavor, for me...but it has become spiritual.

Why do we choose the route we choose?
It matters that we walk. The where and why takes care of itself when we release ourselves into the flow. The camino is sometimes joyful, sometimes awful, always onward-leading.

Buen camino @Duckadang - yours has clearly already begun.

I'm not sure how much time you have, but something to consider if you start with the Baztan is that it obviously joins the Frances and you could wander along that......then when you get to Leon you can always turn right and go up the San Salvador and then along the Primitivo - or if you were enjoying the Frances you might stay on that until Ponferrada, at which point you would have the option to prolong your walk by turning left and taking the Invierno. Once you get to Santiago (whichever route you take) you can always continue your walk to Fisterra and/or Muxia. And if time is no object, you could hop on a train and head south, then walk northwards again - on the Via de la Plata (make sure you do the Sanabres at the end of that), or the Portuguese (either from Lisbon or Porto or anywhere in between) or the Mozarabe (four options to choose from with that one!), or the Madrid route.......options abound!
Your point about León and making a right and walking the San Salvador/Primitivo is exactly what I was going to suggest! I walked the SS/P in May of this year and I loved it so much I'm bringing my wife with me to do it again in May 2023. Duckadang would have the quiet first few days on the Baztan, then the experience of the Frances, and then could chose to stick with that or head off to the far more quiet SS/P combo.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There are many subtopics and threads on here with people's opinions about shoes, sleeping bags, hiking poles, backpacks, food, albergues, routes, etc.
There are indeed. But when it comes to equipment, I tend to find myself paying a little more attention to Dave Bugg's posts. :)

Your point about León and making a right and walking the San Salvador/Primitivo is exactly what I was going to suggest! I walked the SS/P in May of this year and I loved it so much I'm bringing my wife with me to do it again in May 2023. Duckadang would have the quiet first few days on the Baztan, then the experience of the Frances, and then could chose to stick with that or head off to the far more quiet SS/P combo.
BDA9045B-53BC-4AD1-9A98-B95308D82416.jpeg
Puerto de Pajares (San Salvador)
7E919B83-BCAD-43AD-871D-88D72E7CF4C4.jpeg
Embalse de Salime (Primitivo)
96A299F2-E89E-4ADD-B1E5-634A25109FB2.jpeg
Templo de Santalla de Boveda (Primitivo, quick detour after Lugo)

Agree with @Kiwi-family and @BobY333 ❤️

I guess @Duckadang is spoilt for choice now. See how you feel when you get to Leon. Some people enjoy the crowd of Frances, some prefer the solitude and being closer to nature.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
From the moment that I was told of the Batzan option, my Camino has become easier. Those questions that plague pilgrims that venture from far away places... and, Nanango, Queensland, Australia is a very long way from Santiago de Compostela, are slowly falling away.
Was I meant to walk the Batzan? I'm not sure I believe that.
I love that you're listening to your guidance @Duckadang. In my experience, the Camino will provide what we're looking for. We need only be willing and available to listen.
If you should see me along The Way and I seem withdrawn, please don't take offense. If you sit with your friends- old and new, sharing the camaraderie you came to find and you happen to see me alone, in some quiet place I've chosen, don't think me rude. We each walk OUR Way.
I 'see' myself in the photos of the Batzan. I can feel the ground beneath me- there- as I lay on my mat-here. This is how I know it's right.
And that you're already planning to walk your Camino your way is powerful. It took me a couple weeks of trying to walk someone else's way to learn that my way was better for me.

Why do we choose the route we choose? Do we even make the choice? Or, does the Camino decide and speak to us in that way that we can't help but respond?
I had decided that I would walk The Francis. Not because it was my first choice. I chose it because it would have been HER choice. My Baby Duck would have been sitting amonst those pilgrims, laughing and sharing stories, at the end of the day. I would have been content to sit back and quietly watch... though she would have pulled me out of myself and into the moment. I would have looked for the quiet path. She would have met and made friends with many.
Then, suddenly, The Camino offered The Batzan, which joins the Francis. As with every journey we have made, together, this walk now becomes a shared experience... the give and take that makes any journey shared so much the better.
Was I meant to walk the Batzan? I'm not sure I believe that. What I do believe is that three weeks ago, I had no idea where I would be, tomorrow, much less, next year. Then, suddenly, from a morning's red-gold sunrise, the idea was borne to walk The Way. Once that decision was made, I tried each route, in my mind, to gauge its fit, and a route not even mentioned in the many sites I previewed presented itself. Had my wife and I sat down and planned this walk together, we would have chosen the path I now choose... a meeting of two that is one... meeting her needs and my wants.
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and letting us know of your future plans. Exploration and research of my Camino Frances in 2019 really was an absolute pleasure and has become part of the love I have for all things associated with hiking, Caminos, meditation etc. etc. I believe we are drawn to paths by God, Universe, Higher Power (or whatever you believe) when it is the right time for you. You are exactly where you are meant to be and experiences will unfold and be interpreted accordingly - curiosity, willingness/being open is a wonderful way to be. Buen Camino❣️

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've found a flight to Madrid, round trip, in the price range I like, then a train to Bayonne. I've always loved European train trips. Of course, this now offers another choice and another decision to be made. Should I simply begin my walk from Madrid. I'm reading about the route from Madrid to Sahagún, where I would join the Francis. Quite rugged, according to what I read.
Who would have thought that the most involved part of my journey would be from my front door to the Brisbane airport? I live out in the country and over 100 kilometers from the airport. I have friends that would gladly offer me a ride, but, this doesn't feel right, as a part of this journey that is evolving. Hopefully, the bus service in this region is reliable.
There is something about My Camino involving that day when I take up my pack, walk out my front gate and being completely on my own that feels right.

'People will, I'm sure, look at my 50L pack and shake their head.'

When did a 50L pack get to be considered to be a large pack? I have used a 60L pack for all six of my Camino's and my very petite wife has used a 50L pack with zero difficulties. We were in our late fifties early 60's for our 6 Camino's.

My observation of many people using the micro packs was they seemed to have challenges packing each morning as everything had to be 'just so' to fit in. It was also my observation that many had alot of stuff strapped to the outside of their packs due to limited space...which in my mind seems to defeat the reason for a micro pack.

Anyway, embrace your current pack and don't worry about what others may think.

Picking gear is a personal decision with no right or wrong. Usually after a few walks you will make some changes to what you take or leave at home.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Who would have thought that the most involved part of my journey would be from my front door to the Brisbane airport? I live out in the country and over 100 kilometers from the airport. I have friends that would gladly offer me a ride, but, this doesn't feel right, as a part of this journey that is evolving.
You could walk the long paddock. ;)

Yes, on our Primitivo, we met a Czech guy who had walked Camino Madrid, got into Sahagun, walked until Leon, fed up with the crowd, took train to Oviedo to start Primitivo and he loved it! But if only I could tell him he could do the Salvador from Leon instead of train 🐶

My approach to planning My Camino is basically "do what feels right". Several of the routes have certain points that appeal. I'm quickly finding that The Camino Madrid has elements of the others that first interested me and the more I'm learning, the stronger the urge grows to walk this way.
I know how blessed I am. While many must juggle other considerations- work, family, etc., God has offered me the gift of time. I have it, in abundance. My plan has gone from 35 days to 45, and, now, with the thought of climbing Puerto de la Fuenfria, may grow a bit more. Walking two days (at least) without seeing any town means carrying provisions for that. But so be it.
I'll still walk that portion of the Francis, because my Baby Duck would have wanted to do that.

At the risk of sounding melodramatic...
The last time I took my wife to the hospital, even though the doctors were optimistic, I had this unshakeable feeling that she would not come home, again. At least, not in body. I carry her with me now...memories of her last days that I wish I could erase. I read the post titled Obituary, and thought how blessed that man was to have gone that way. I pray God that I might go so.
Over the past few days, a feeling has grown that somewhere along My Camino, I will be able to lay those memories down...or, at least have them soften.
Such is my prayer.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Walking two days (at least) without seeing any town means carrying provisions for that.
I don't see any place on the Madrid where you would walk two days without seeing any town. Are you referring to the 31 km stage from Cercedilla to Segovia? There is the option to split it into two days by going to Valsain or La Granja de San Ildefonso, and then on to Segovia, if 31 km is too much.

As outlined on other threads, such as this one, it makes sense to carry some basic provisions for "emergency", on most routes.

I don't see any place on the Madrid where you would walk two days without seeing any town. Are you referring to the 31 km stage from Cercedilla to Segovia? There is the option to split it into two days by going to Valsain or La Granja de San Ildefonso, and then on to Segovia, if 31 km is too much.

As outlined on other threads, such as this one, it makes sense to carry some basic provisions for "emergency", on most routes.
Having never walked it, I was just going by the site that laid out the route planning...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That site shows exactly what I pointed out - you can walk 30 km from Cercedilla to Segovia, or you can go off-side a bit and do 2 shorter stages. You are not walking 2 days without seeing a town.

That planner shows a location in the mountains called "Puerto de la Fuenfría," not a town, and it shows the point where you can turn onto the "desvio a la Granja". That means "detour to La Granja." The distance along the route is given.

That site shows exactly what I pointed out - you can walk 30 km from Cercedilla to Segovia, or you can go off-side a bit and do 2 shorter stages. You are not walking 2 days without seeing a town.

That planner shows a location in the mountains called "Puerto de la Fuenfría," not a town, and it shows the point where you can turn onto the "desvio a la Granja". That means "detour to La Granja." The distance along the route is given.
You win. Enjoy your victory...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Today, I began using my After Shock sticks and set aside the walking staff I made from the stem of a Grass Tree that I found along the Bibbulmun Track in Western Australia. I've decided not to try taking it because I don't want to risk not being able to bring it back into Australia. I'd hate to lose it.
Changing to the sticks and now having to become accustomed to a different way of walking made me consider why I'm even choosing to walk the Camino de Santiago. It costs a lot to fly there. I speak Spanish poorly (though I am practicing daily). I have no interest in stopping at the bars or meeting new people. Mine will not be a social event.
I won't "find God" there. God will be there, just as God will be any place I go. A quote from Robert Fulghum comes closest to explaining my feelings on this: I never feel separated from God or feel I must seek God, any more than a fish in the ocean feels it must seek water. God is the "ocean" in which we live.
So, why AM I walking over 'there' and not over here? I can't say it's entirely because my wife wanted to walk it. She wanted to walk the trails in Austria more. She wanted to see the Taj Mahal ( less so, in later years, when it became so touristy).
Short answer is "I don't know".
I'll continue to ponder the question, as I walk the miles of preparation. I do know that walking The Camino feels right. And, My Camino continues to evolve. Walking only the Francis felt sort of right, but something was missing. Beginning the walk from Biarritz felt more right because beginning my walk from the place I fly into just seems more fitting. And, walking from Madrid to Fisterra feels even better.
I'll take few photos, if any. I'm not going to collect evidence of my walk. Who would I show them to, now, anyway? I'll only have my Camino Passport so that I can stay in albergues, should I choose ( having read that you might not be allowed to sleep there without one). I even doubt I'll collect my Compostela. Why do I need 'proof' that I walked?
I'll continue to read items from the forum. And, continue to post certain items to get feedback. But, I know what I want my Camino to be. I won't carry a tent because I think I need to. I won't carry a camp stove because I'm afraid there might not be a place for coffee. I'll carry more than less because I want to remain open to possibilities.

Depends on how far you like to walk in a day and how big a pueblo has to be before it becomes a "town". In my notes for my next Camino de Madrid (based primarily on Gronze and the Virtual Pilgrimage on this forum), I've got a note to self to stock up on provisions in Segovia. There are definitely a number of settlements in the next 33.3 km to Santa Maria la Real de Nieva, but the food options seem uncertain. And I'm also holding open the possibility of stopping earlier in Añe, which would mean I might need to feed myself for supper and breakfast before arriving in Santa Maria 11.8 km into the next day.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A lot of people walk the Camino without knowing why they are walking it. Some figure it out while walking. Some figure it out after returning. And some just stop wondering about it.

I think you are wise leaving behind anything you re really not prepared to lose on the trail.

Depends on how far you like to walk in a day and how big a pueblo has to be before it becomes a "town".
Yes. I always try to have a backup plan for any stage that gets up to about 30 km, and I carry enough food to get me through a couple of missed meals.

It appeared to me that @Duckadang was misreading the route planning chart, which seemed to show 2 rows of nothingness. I wanted to explain to him that this was not a case of having to walk 2 days without seeing a town. I wasn't entering a contest!

Last edited:
Today, I began using my After Shock sticks and set aside the walking staff I made from the stem of a Grass Tree that I found along the Bibbulmun Track in Western Australia. I've decided not to try taking it because I don't want to risk not being able to bring it back into Australia. I'd hate to lose it.
Changing to the sticks and now having to become accustomed to a different way of walking made me consider why I'm even choosing to walk the Camino de Santiago. It costs a lot to fly there. I speak Spanish poorly (though I am practicing daily). I have no interest in stopping at the bars or meeting new people. Mine will not be a social event.
I won't "find God" there. God will be there, just as God will be any place I go. A quote from Robert Fulghum comes closest to explaining my feelings on this: I never feel separated from God or feel I must seek God, any more than a fish in the ocean feels it must seek water. God is the "ocean" in which we live.
So, why AM I walking over 'there' and not over here? I can't say it's entirely because my wife wanted to walk it. She wanted to walk the trails in Austria more. She wanted to see the Taj Mahal ( less so, in later years, when it became so touristy).
Short answer is "I don't know".
I'll continue to ponder the question, as I walk the miles of preparation. I do know that walking The Camino feels right. And, My Camino continues to evolve. Walking only the Francis felt sort of right, but something was missing. Beginning the walk from Biarritz felt more right because beginning my walk from the place I fly into just seems more fitting. And, walking from Madrid to Fisterra feels even better.
I'll take few photos, if any. I'm not going to collect evidence of my walk. Who would I show them to, now, anyway? I'll only have my Camino Passport so that I can stay in albergues, should I choose ( having read that you might not be allowed to sleep there without one). I even doubt I'll collect my Compostela. Why do I need 'proof' that I walked?
I'll continue to read items from the forum. And, continue to post certain items to get feedback. But, I know what I want my Camino to be. I won't carry a tent because I think I need to. I won't carry a camp stove because I'm afraid there might not be a place for coffee. I'll carry more than less because I want to remain open to possibilities.
I do know that, no matter which route I end up walking, My Camino will pause at Fisterra and the sea. I find myself a bit of a puzzle. I'm a born water sign (crab), but am most at home in the mountains and woodlands. Having said that, I find that I regularly like to visit the ocean, stand on the shore and ponder.
There's never been a time when I've visited the ocean and not thought of the line from Pablo Neruda:

When again I see the sea
Will the sea have seen or not seen me?

(not a direct quote, I know. It's just how I always remember it)

Am I the same person that the sea last saw in me? Have I changed? For the better, or the worse? Or, have I simply gotten older?
The ocean has always answered honestly. Though, I haven't always liked the answer.

Locard's Exchange Principle says that a person passing through a place will unknowingly leave something there and take something away. I wonder what I will take from The Camino? And, just as important...what will I leave, in my passing?

€149,-
Yesterday, I went shopping for those things I hope I never have to use. I bought a poncho big enough to fit over my pack. I also bought a first aid kit, which I'll slowly re-make into one especially for the way ahead.
Buying the First Aid Kit made me think of another 'necessity' I'll want to pack... my First Aid Book. I've never liked relying on apps, though they are great. But, should my phone be out of power...
As I understand, 112 is the emergency number for Spain.

I remember before my first Camino, my wife and I went to a local Camino info session, and one thing I had heard over and over was ‘the Camino provides…’, it actually was kind of pissing me off…like a cult chant.
Fast forward to my arrival in Santiago, and I will confess- they actually were right.
I was the one that started the Camino in deference to my wife, who had ‘a grand idea….’. Though I will say I enjoyed the pre-planning and weighing and packing/unpacking/repacking, but essentially it was a hike.
I learned over the course that it is not a hike, it became a heart lightening, joy filling, prayer answering adventure. I somehow became the pilgrim that believes that ‘the Camino provides’.
A little crazy, and a bit trite perhaps, but it was very healing for me.
Essentially, the Camino can be many things, and for you, it will reveal what it means in due time.

Last edited:
I foresee, over the course of the walk I'm planning, lots of solitary time for thinking... reflection and introspection. It's why I'll carry one of the books I love so much.
This morning, while walking my early morning training walk, the word reflection came to mind and grew like a seed in the often-tilled soil of my mind. Of the many stories I've read over the years... those little gems that seem never to lose their luster, one comes to mind, often.
I'll share a link for those who are like me and enjoy something to ponder, along the way...

Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yesterday, I went shopping for those things I hope I never have to use. I bought a poncho big enough to fit over my pack. I also bought a first aid kit, which I'll slowly re-make into one especially for the way ahead.
Buying the First Aid Kit made me think of another 'necessity' I'll want to pack... my First Aid Book. I've never liked relying on apps, though they are great. But, should my phone be out of power...
As I understand, 112 is the emergency number for Spain.
If you have time, perhaps go on a first-aid course? Always time well spent, and you can leave the book at home.

Have done the course. But, unless you use it regularly, the information fades. I'll keep the book...

My first Camino, I felt I had not thought of anything. BUT, it is a piece of cake, take less than you think you need, enjoy the journey and remember, Spain has stores, and fellow pilgrims also share.

4 Camino Frances later, I take very little and don't worry about it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Had you asked me, as little as three months ago, what I knew of the Camino, I'd have said it was a single route, like the Appalachian Trail. I had no idea there were such different paths.
Yes - it is amazing to learn just how many "WAYS" to Santiago really exist! I have walked twice. So far, I have done the Frances from SJPDP to Santiago and then on to Muxia and Finisterre. I also did the Norte from Hendaye to Oviedo and then switched to the Primitivo to Santiago. All are magnificent. Although I think my favorite thus far is the Primitivo. Lots of Camino Spirit like the Frances, but not the crowds (not that I had many crowds since I walked the Frances during COVID lol).
From Biarritz it is easy to get to the starting point of the Norte AND the Frances - so you still have choices if you buy your tickets to Biarritz and can't decide. Last time I made it to Bayonne (which is next to Biarritz) - I wasn't sure which route I was going to take until I arrived. That time I picked the Norte.

People will, I'm sure, look at my 50L pack and shake their head.
It isn't about the size of your pack - it is about what is in it and whether or not it is properly fitted. That said - I wouldn't be rolling my eyes at a 50L pack, but perhaps I would at a fully packed 65L for a person who isn't camping haha. But hey - it is your (and their) Camino - so if your 50L works well for you, just don't be tempted to overpack it. This is NOT the Appalachian Trail or other Wilderness hike.
It's early, yet, and I still am working out my personal packing list. But, one thing that is a must, and has been on every trip I've ever taken, is a copy of one of Robert Fulghum's books.

If your book is your luxury item - then go ahead and bring it! But - can you get it on an app? Can you enjoy your book without carrying the weight of the book?
Hey, all you can do is TRY! I know most people appreciate if an attempt is made. Sadly - I don't retain languages as well as I would like. I do have some phrases I practice on all of my trips though. And google translate is my best travelling buddy!

Whichever route you chose - it will be amazing! I am already planning my next Camino - even though I am supposed to be planning to stay at home this summer haha!

Can you do "too much research"? It seems every time I think I have a plan set, someone offers me something else to consider...which is a good thing!
I am mixed on this one... I am someone who LOVES to research all of her trips. Research and planning is a huge part of the fun for me. It also helps me get through the daily grind of home and work life - knowing what I have to look forward to. That said - be careful that you don't learn TOO MUCH about what to expect. I did a ton of research while thinking about my first Camino. A ton more research when planning my 2020 Camino (which was cancelled due to COVID). A ton MORE research planning my 2021 Camino (which was again cancelled due to COVID). Ironically - Iplanned an alternate trip that didn't work out. After a few days I returned home and Spain was about to re-open so I suddenly bought NEW tickets to Spain. I went without ANY of the research I had collected regarding where I wanted to stay, what I wanted to see, and what I wanted to do. That was good - I ended up winging it which was necessary anyway since not all of the places I wanted to say and not all the things I wanted to see/do were open due to COVID. So - it was an adventure in that respect because I had no plans more than a day in advance. BUT... I also watched a LOT of youtube videos. I knew what the trail looked like. I knew what I would see along the way. And with that - I didn't have any surprises on the Frances route. I got to things that I was excited to see - but it didn't seem that exciting because I had seen the places so many times in videos. You know what I mean?

For my Norte Camino - I did a little research, but I was careful to not watch more than a couple videos about it. And they were videos of people taking about the trail as opposed to them showing the trail as they walked. That was much better. And then the Primitivo? I did NO research. I watched NO videos. Everything was new and exciting. I never knew what was coming. I loved it.

Anyhow - do your research - but be careful not to over research! And yes - keep those plans fluid!

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.