• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beginning to train..

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Are you sure? RobertS26?
I am a little worried, I will start in Astorga.
I don't know if I will do the stage Rabanal - Molinaseca, second day of walking,
and then my third day Molinaseca to villafranca del Bierzo and my most worried is the ocebreiro climb.
I'm a little scared of that climb.

Thanks, for your respond.,

Were you walking with a pack? If so you are ready. Many who walked with me think I am fast but I don't exceed that very often, and then only after I have been on the Camino for a good few days. Buen Camino and don't worry just let your body decide how far to walk and how fast once you are there. Trust us - plans go out of the window once you are there. You will be influenced by your body, your companions and your inner self more than you can imagine.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When it comes to training for long distance hiking you do not train for speed, but for endurance. Otherwise you can get injured. The average walker does about 5 km/hr and should be able to sustain the pace for average of 5 hours taking 20 minute breaks every other hour. I know there is a lot of "power walkers" out there for whose walking 50 kms/day for 20 days in a row is who they are as hikers. However, this is not the standard by far.

The best approach is that you aim for 5 km/hour and increase the carrying loads, not the pace. Increasing the pace does nothing for you except injuring your hips, knees, and tendons. Remember to take breaks and to STRETCH BEFORE AND AFTER.

I must agree with Olivares, I was only walking fast to build up a little fitness and lose some weight before my next Camino in May and I have over worked my knee.

As I get closer to my departure date, I will carry the weight I intend to take on the Camino and will be aiming for 25km walks, 2 or 3 days per week, with 10 km walks 2 or 3 days per week and rest days.

The terrain is also important as the Camino has many short ascents and descents on most days.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Are you sure? RobertS26?
I am a little worried, I will start in Astorga.

Well, if you can already do 5.5 km per hour, that means you have no problem walking at a brisk pace on flat ground. The walk from Astorga to Rabanal is only a 200 meter gain in altitude over 21 kilometers. The next day, you only have to gain 300 meters before you top out. The tricky part on day 2 will be descending into Molinaseca--especially if it is raining and the rocks are slippery. Day three will be relatively flat going into Villafranca. Day four might be a challenge depending on which of three routes you take out of Villafranca. Day five up to O'Cebreiro could be a bit of a challenge, but if I can make it, anybody can make it.

I guess my point is that the Camino is a walk, not a future additional leg to a triathlon. It's meant to be enjoyed and experienced. It's not the Bataan Death March where you will be bayonetted if you stop to take a break. My concern is that I see people over thinking the Camino. And I want people to know that it is very doable and that over planning saps some of the joy.

You'll be fine. Trust me. Buen Camino.

Thanks... That's the idea!!
I would like to enjoy the walk and to visit every church and stop in places that I like.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was only walking fast to build up a little fitness and lose some weight before my next Camino in May
I think you should look at your training twofold; 1) the weight loss portion take it to the threadmill/ellyptical. Have six small meals a day instead of 3 large ones. make the meals as healthy as you can. You will be eating more frequently so you should not be hungry, but you will be fueling yourself more efficiently so your metabolism will kick in more effectively, and 2) the endurance portion per my previous message; distance not speed.

Good luck! Buen Camino!!

If you want to lose weight eat less.

Training. Mix things up. Longer days. Shorter days. If you have hills nearby add some.

Wonderful advice NicoZ, I would never have thought of that.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Olivares: about food...
What did you eat on your camino. I like the thought of 6 meals but right now my mind can't pic any idea.., just: egg, ham bread olives cheese bananas tomatos nuts... Eh...
I will walk with my 16 y's old daughter! She loves food (want to be a chef) and we can't afford menu á la pilgrim every day.
June 23rd is da' aventure start day.( oh my good, I just went to my neighbours door instead of mine, write 'n walk...bad desission! (swedish spelling))

I agree with mixing it up and not trying to train too much, too quickly - let the body adapt. We have been "training" for the last couple of years - training in quotes because most of it was just normal fitness, but every step we took was "for the Camino" once we decided that we were going :) Our focused Camino training started in January - we are going in June, so just 2 months away. I feel like we could leave today and be great, but we have 2 months to go, so we will keep training. We don't have the time to devote to walking 20km on a regular basis, so we do what we can. Each month we do the following:

* A hiking weekend, which means hiking both Saturday and Sunday, something reasonably long both days, with packs and the boots we are going to take. Last month we did a 20km hike, which was moderate-to-strenuous. Then we did about a 10 km hike the next day, very moderate. This coming weekend we will do 2 hikes of similar distance, a little more strenuous.

* 4 long walks - road walks, no packs, go for both speed - these walks are 9-14 km, depending on how much time we have. We stop in the middle for coffee and a snack (you know, for realism in our training). So basically 1 long walk each weekend with an extra one stuck in where we can - the days are getting longer, which makes it easier, but my work travel schedule is also ramping up, which makes it hard.

* Cardio, yoga, and strength training through out the week - generally about 3 hours each week.

I've lost body mass during this training - I know because all of my clothes are getting roomy - but my weight has stayed exactly the same. I am definitely burning fat and building muscle.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back