• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beginnings..

elsbeth

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April (2017)
Traveling from Madrid to Pamplona by train, then bus to St Jean mid-April. Any info or suggestions are welcome. Should we pre-purchase our tickets? Are the stations in Pamplona close to one another? Any tips are welcome - many thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Welcome to the forum!

If you have not bought your train tickets yet, why not take the bus to Pamplona from the airport? Easy peasy.

If you choose that way you are only 2kms from the Renfe S tation to the Alsa Bus Station, an easy walk to help you warm up for the next day! The only catch you need to consider is that the bus to SJPDP leaves at 6pm so you will come in after dark. If you want to splurge a little you can take a taxi right from the Renfe station to SJPDP for approx 96 Euros and you'll be there before lunch and can explore the town and Citadel a little before stopping into the Pilgrim Office.
Good luck and Buen Camino,
Jordon

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 4.12.52 PM.png

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you choose that way you are only 2kms from the Renfe S tation to the Alsa Bus Station, an easy walk to help you warm up for the next day!
Or right in front of the train station is a bus stop. Take line 9 which comes every 15 minutes or so and get off at the fort, La Ciudadela on Av. Ejercito. 1.20 euros. You can check your bags in a locker at the bus station and use your walking time to explore the city north of the station. Say, Plaza del Castillo or the bullring. See @jozero's map above.

Don't let names fool you. You take a CONDE bus to St. Jean but CONDE is a subsidiary of ALSA. Also, the bus station is underground for the most part with a long low glass building serving as the entrance.

Thank you for the suggestions. I think this is the most confusing part of our planning. How do most get from Madrid to St Jean?

Traveling from Madrid to Pamplona by train, then bus to St Jean mid-April. Any info or suggestions are welcome. Should we pre-purchase our tickets? Are the stations in Pamplona close to one another? Any tips are welcome - many thanks
There is also one direct flight (Iberia) from Madrid to Biarritz daily except weekends, for as low as 58€ and it takes just over an hour. On Mondays at 9AM and the rest four days between 12-1PM. You didn't say which month are you planning to walk the Camino so I checked for May 2017. Maybe you can even buy "open-jaw" ticket because Iberia is member of Star Alliance (http://www.staralliance.com/en/member-airlines).
If that suits you then take a peek in some of the "getting from Biarritz airport to SJPdP" threads (Getting to/from Camino subform).

Happy planning :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Madrid - Puerta de Atocha (Train station) to Pamplona only three and a half hours.
You can also take the bus to Pamplona at Madrid airport, cheaper and take a little longer.
Pamplona to Saint Jean P. de P. an hour and a half by bus.

Thank you
Hope all will go well.
And please report back what kind of transportation (prices, timetables etc.) you choose for future pilgrims that might need that info.

Ultreia!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello everyone.
To come to Pamplona from Madrid.

RENFE, railway operator.
Departure from Puerta de Atocha train station
There are several trains, but I recommend Alvia, direct From Madrid to Pamplona
There are 4 Alvia a day, 2 in the morning, 1 in the afternoon and 1 in the evening.
Travel time, 3 hours. Cost starting from 23,55 €

ALSA, bus.
Departure from T4 Airport
Hours, 01:15, 10:45, 15:15, 19:45.
Travel time, more than 5 hours. Cost from € 22,40

Prices can change depending by day, time and promotions.

I appreciate the advice - thank you all. I will post our plans/cost when the decision is made.

Hello everyone.
To come to Pamplona from Madrid.

RENFE, railway operator.
Departure from Puerta de Atocha train station
There are several trains, but I recommend Alvia, direct From Madrid to Pamplona
There are 4 Alvia a day, 2 in the morning, 1 in the afternoon and 1 in the evening.
Travel time, 3 hours. Cost starting from 23,55 €

ALSA, bus.
Departure from T4 Airport
Hours, 01:15, 10:45, 15:15, 19:45.
Travel time, more than 5 hours. Cost from € 22,40

Prices can change depending by day, time and promotions.

Another option which I've found and hoping to take end of March - http://plmautocares.com/

Would appreciate any feedback from those who have chose this service :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back