• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beilari Albergue SJPDP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humbertico

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan 2018
I want to warn future pilgrims about our experience at the Beilari Albergue in St Jean Pied de Port. We were left out of our reserved room when we showed up. I had made a reservation by phone and email six months prior and called them the day before arrival. I told them we would be there by dinner time st 6. We showed up st 4:30 because of the train strike and the only person working there was cooking and told us to come back because she was busy and could not check us in. We went to the store to pick up supply and when we returned she gave up our room stating we had not called to confirm and our name was in the reservation book. I asked her to please call the owner and she stated he never answers her calls. She was rude and aggressive and demeaning. My wife felt so humiliated.I would not recommend anyone staying in this Albergue. I am going to report this to the French Tourism Authorities.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I do not often post but want to say that my experience there, just last week for 2 nights, was delightful. Joseph the owner is very accommodating - I found the cook a bit abrupt but dismissed it as stress- I’m so sorry about your experience but I do think it is an anomaly and not the norm. Hopefully the rest of your Camino experience is marvelous!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't know if it's the same cook that was there last year, but I too found her rather rude. She was a young woman from San Francisco. When I commented to her how wonderful it must be to live on the Camino, she shrugged dismissively and said it's just a job, and that there weren't many jobs available in the area. It's certainly possible that's she's overworked and burnt out, but it kind of put a damper on my start of the Camino enthusiasm.

Please don't judge a place by one bad review. I have stayed at Beilari 5 times and love how Joseph starts the dinner by teaching us how to be a Camino family. I was just there on September 5 and had another good experience.

Same for us. It was the same young girl from San Francisco, she should be fired or else it will hurt their business. Bad attitude like she didn’t give a s__t!

Last edited by a moderator:
He needs to have better accountability of people that work for him or else it’s going to affect his business. This girls attitude was totally out of line. I asked her what would happen if there’s an emergency or someone had a heart attack or there was a fire how could you get a hold of the owner she just shrugged her shoulders like if she didn’t care and said well He never answer his phone calls when I tried to call him. This is totally unacceptable. I would never offer any family member or my worst enemy recommendations to stay there. I am going to take it up with the French tourist bureau to take a look at this incident the way we Americans were treated at this facility.

I am going to take it up with the French tourist bureau to take a look at this incident the way we Americans were treated at this facility.

Have you any reason to believe that the treatment that you are complaining about had anything to do with your nationality? If not why do you feel the need to mention it here?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Awesome experience at Belari and will be staying there next year. The Camino is full of all kinds of people who are also on their own journey in life. Sidestepping the negative ones has served me well.

I spent a couple of years cooking for a living, @Humbertico. It can be exhausting and stressful. Woe betide the person asking me something innocent when a meal deadline was looming. Especially if they were coming at me with any irritation.
And...it's easy to make an honest mistake if you're juggling a meal and everything else besides.
I am going to take it up with the French tourist bureau to take a look at this incident the way we Americans were treated at this facility.
Have you any reason to believe that the treatment that you are complaining about had anything to do with your nationality? If not why do you feel the need to mention it here?
I'm American. And I have experienced the whole range of treatment. It's not anything to do with my nationality. And just because I'm American doesn't mean the world owes me anything, Rather the opposite, I would think.
Bad things happen. People make mistakes. Some places on the Camino are known for their crummy hospitality. This is NOT one of them, but rather the opposite.
True but not a great way to start.
Why drag the experience along behind you as you climb the hill? Things are as they are. Taking impersonal things personally, and to letting them eat at you makes for a long and suffering road.
Let it go, Humbertico. You'll be much happier.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
He needs to have better accountability of people that work for him or else it’s going to affect his business. This girls attitude was totally out of line. I asked her what would happen if there’s an emergency or someone had a heart attack or there was a fire how could you get a hold of the owner she just shrugged her shoulders like if she didn’t care and said well He never answer his phone calls when I tried to call him. This is totally unacceptable. I would never offer any family member or my worst enemy recommendations to stay there. I am going to take it up with the French tourist bureau to take a look at this incident the way we Americans were treated at this facility.
If there is a fire or a heart attack dial 112 and ask for either the fire service or ambulance, don't call the owner, he is probably not qualified for fire and cardiac arrest.

True but not a great way to start. .
Hi! My advice would be not to take it personally and forget it asap :) Don’t let it spoil your experience, please.
As for your nationality, I am quite sure it has nothing to do with it! (I’m French, btw and that was in France :D)
On my first Camino, I had booked ‘l’esprit du chemin’ which later became ‘Beilari’.
I told them when my flight was landing and which train I was taking from Biarritz.
I phoned them from Biarritz station to see if they had room for another peregrina.... They said ‘sorry, but we didn’t keep your bed! You didn’t phone’. It was only about 3 or 4 pm then and I had nooooo idea I was supposed to phone .... No-one had told me.
Anyway! She gave me the number of another albergue ‘La Kaserna’ and all was well :cool:
I later learnt that lots of peregrinos don’t turn up when they reserve a bed so ....
Hope you forget as quickly as possible ;)

I think one has to be careful about damning anything to eternal damnation on the basis of one experience.

I fully understand that have had this experience, the OP would not want to return and probably not recommend. I would be exactly the same.

However, this does not mean that the albergue should be cast into the fires of hell. Many of us, myself included, have had very positive experiences there.

Interestingly, I walked Ponferrada-Muxia with my wife in May and have just returning from doing Sarria-SdC with my daughter. Purely by chance, I stayed at some of the same allergies on both trips. Every one I re-visited was superb on one visit and dreadful on the other. Our personal experiences are based on a myriad of factors all of which are highly variable!

As others have stated, accept what happened, consider what actually is the worst thing that happened and enjoyed your pilgrimage.

Well...
I stayed here in april this year...
And for me just one word.
Beautiful!!
So...
Let the exception be the rule...
Sorry for the bad experience,hope they will take it to heart, but for me it was a magical beginning of mine camino

On reflection I take back my initial response,we can all have a bad day or part of one and perhaps I was too quick to judge.in light of other experiences at this hostal I could be there late October,if the cook is still cranky I'll buy her flowers :)
Love your reply and reassessment :). I understand that there was an unpleasant exchange between the OP and albergue staff. I don't know Beilari but lots of people rave about it. What I don't understand about the whole thing: the OP says that they "were left out of [their] reserved room" while on the albergue's website it says that "you can make a reservation for 'a bed', but not for a specific place or room. We divide the beds day-by-day and try to do so as well as possible". So were they denied a room or beds? Just wondering ...

On reflection I take back my initial response,we can all have a bad day or part of one and perhaps I was too quick to judge.in light of other experiences at this hostal I could be there late October,if the cook is still cranky I'll buy her flowers :)
Thanks for this reassessment. I just don't believe that the person I met twice deserves to be fired for a bit of perceived abruptness!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'm sure, there must some kind of misunderstanding here. I don't know about the cook (but the one from San Francisco prepared some delightful dishes, while we were there), but she certainly wasn't rude to me, althiugh I didn't speak much to her. But the place - and Joseph - is simply in the category of 5+ on a list from 1 to 5.

I am sorry that this happened to you. I suspect that you chose Bellari based on their reputation and reviews. It sounds as though you never were able to speak to the owner.

I don't know if the owner reads this forum, but he likely reads reviews on the websites people consult when choosing a place to stay (Bookings, Tripadviser, Expedia, Gronze, etc). I think you should post a review with your very low rating reflecting your experience. It is extremely likely that he will see it.

As for the employee, it isn't easy to fire a long time employee in France. Your documentation would be helpful to him. He may not be very accessible to his employees or perhaps they don't like to bother him when they screw up.

Don't mention being American. Your complaint in English with North American syntax will be obvious enough.

This place has a very good reputation and people rave about it. If more people have experiences similar to yours and post about their experiences, that will no longer be the case. I am sure the owner is aware of that, as well as the fact that there are other places to stay in SJPDP.

Again, I am sorry for the unpleasantness and I wish you a very Buen Camino.

Tripadvisor, complaints to the Tourist Board, I demand to speak to the manager ... sigh ... this place used to be called "L'Esprit du Chemin". The previous hosts took the name with them when they moved to Vezelay. I don't think the spirit of the way has disappeared from the Beilari gîte of all places but it has certainly not revealed itself fully to all who embark on the way to Galicia these days.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
So sorry to hear of this e-mail experience. Beilari was a very important part of my first Camino. I just wonder if you are unfortunate victims of the very busy camino activities these days. Hopefully the rest has more than compensated

I stayed there 18 Sep this year. I arrived early on the 0742 hrs train from Bayonne and found that I could not check-in until 1530 hrs. Nevertheless - the cleaner (she was the only one there) let me and a few others drop off our packs and we spent the rest of the time touring SJPdP. Check-in later on was smooth and Elizabeth ( a US girl working there) and Joseph were both friendly and accommodating and hosted a wonderful evening - with great grub and wine too. Breakfast the next morning was also very tasty and convivial. No complaints from me. A good way to start my first CF. Cooee (currently in Azofra).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It was the same young girl from San Francisco
Bad attitude like she didn’t give a s__t!

So, at the risk of pointing out the obvious, you were upset about what you perceived to be poor service from a fellow American, with what you perceived to be a bad attitude. The fact that you mention your nationality puzzles me, or do you expect better treatment than others because of your nationality?

As other posters have pointed out, there may be any number of reasons for the staff member to act this way, stress, a bad day, personal issues etc etc.

While I understand that poor service can be very annoying, and it is easy to vent while angry, why are you posting this on a public forum and not contacting the owner of the facility directly, to sort out the issue?

Did you speak to the owner at any stage, to try to sort out the issue?

If the staff member was unhappy/angry/rude etc, have you not reacted in the same way by posting about the incident? The only person you can control is yourself.

she should be fired or else it will hurt their business
He needs to have better accountability of people that work for him or else it’s going to affect his business

As you mention the business, did you any any stage consider what your original post could potentially do to the business? As you can see from the replies, your isolated experience is not what has been experienced by others, so thankfully balance is being restored by the forum.

I sincerely hope that your experiences improve, that you enjoy your Camino, and that this incident will fade from memory, and seem less "big" as your journey unfolds. Lessons from the Camino come in various ways!!

Buen camino.

Please keep this sort of post to Tripadviser - Beilari and especially Joseph, was for me a wonderful start to my Camino in March - this site is not for personal grievances.
I disagree. If we post our good experiences on this forum and are discouraged or forbidden to post our bad experiences, then the forum becomes meaningless as a place to share our camino experiences with each other. As the OP's bad experience is more than outweighed by the many favourable reviews of Beilari, that should be adequate to cause readers to sympathize with him on the first day of his camino, while accepting that we shall make our own conclusions, based on the balance of the postings which we have read and our personal experiences, if any.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Would anyone recommend a place to stay in St Jean on October 31st 2018

Daxzentzu - I'd recommend Beilari - it is a great place and a positive experience! My last two stays in SJPDP were there and it is a wonderful place to set out from. Personally, I'd stay there again without hesitation. All the positive feedback reviews from folk on the Wise Pilgrim App speak for themselves also.

I’m not a sociable person at all.I had reservations for a hotel when I started out but changed plans when I read about Beilari.It was great to have a communal dinner with people from all over the world and now I have awesome memories of staying there.When I do the Camino again I will stay there.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I want to warn future pilgrims about our experience at the Beilari Albuergue in St Jean Pied de Port. We were left out of our reserved room when we showed up. I had made a reservation by phone and email six months prior and called them the day before arrival. I told them we would be there by dinner time st 6. We showed up st 4:30 because of the train strike and the only person working there was cooking and told us to come back because she was busy and could not check us in. We went to the store to pick up supply and when we returned she gave up our room stating we had not called to confirm and our name was in the reservation book. I asked her to please call the owner and she stated he never answers her calls. She was rude and aggressive and demeaning. My wife felt so humiliated.I would not recommend anyone staying in this Albuergue. I am going to report this to the French Tourism Authorities.
I am sorry that this happened to you. Unfortunately (fortunately, IMO), things don't always go "as planned" on the Camino. That is one reason, on my second Camino, I had NO plans. Some of my best and favorite memories are from totally unplanned circumstances and foibles. These are beautiful Camino gifts. Buen Camino!!

I agree with the comments of others that we should cut people some slack and realize that everyone has a bad day. I was reminded of an old post by @Anniesantiago in which she, in her words, “vented” about the incredibly selfish, rude, boorish behavior she has been seeing on the Camino. I asked her not to delete it, because I think it is good for all of us, who of course are nothing like the people Annie describes, :p to keep in mind that hospitaleros and others working with pilgrims have to put up with a lot.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/this-is-a-very-negative-post-a-vent.43787/

And @Humbertico, hoping that you are having a good camino, and that this annoyance has faded into the distant past. TheCamino is just too amazing to waste even a minute of it stewing about this. I am sure you will encounter more of this kind of behavior along the route, though. I can name several places where in the span of a few years, the owners of the business went from being enamored of the camino magic and ecstatic to be living their dream to being worn out and cynical about it all. Yet another good reason to walk caminos that the crowds haven’t found yet!

I stayed at the Beilari the evening of April 21, 2017. Joseph, Violeta (from San Sebastian), and Elizabeth were consummate hosts to 22 of us from all over the world. As I was suffering from food poisoning I contracted in Bayonne, and had no appetite for dinner or breakfast on the 22nd, a sandwich was set aside for me to take on my journey to Orrison. I don't know who made it for me, but it was a gesture I appreciated and thought about long after I passed through the Spanish Gate and started uphill. Before going into the dining area on the 21st, we were gathered around a long table near the kitchen, and Joseph focused our minds by asking each of us, in turn, why we were walking the camino. "You are making a movie, what is the title of your movie?" he asked. It was a fitting question on which to dwell this night and every day thereafter. My 45 day (entirely positive) experience on the Camino was anchored by my experience at the Beilari. Thank you Joseph! I will not undertake a future Camino Frances without starting, first, at the Beilari. And, for those who may not already be aware, the Ultrea albergue in Zubiri is a "sister" albergue to the Beilari and also bursts with hospitality.

And, to those who would dwell on a perceived slight, it might be healthy to look in the mirror and ask whether there was something "I" may have done to contribute to my sense of aggrievement...

Humbertico, we Americans are a grumpy lot right now. I'm sorry you encountered one of us Californians in a bad mood cooking at the lovely Beilari albergue. Maybe she was having a rough day for reasons that had nothing to do with you. Could you see letting go of this incident and directing your energy toward one of the many critical issues that are confronting our country at this moment in history? We could sure use some passion like you have to put forth good causes on so many fronts.

Humbertico, we Americans are a grumpy lot right now. I'm sorry you encountered one of us Californians in a bad mood cooking at the lovely Beilari albergue.

Interesting that you should mention grumpiness and Californians at the moment. Just yesterday I read an article from a San Diego news website on coping with the aches, pains and stress of the Camino in what I thought sounded like a very Californian style ;)

http://sdcitybeat.com/culture/cannabitch/packing-the-essentials/

Last edited:
I quite like a good grumpy post.

And knowing the cook is a pain is helpful. Forewarned takes the sting out of ill manners. It's no longer about you. You can let it wash past.

So, a useful post too.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I want to warn future pilgrims about our experience at the Beilari Albuergue in St Jean Pied de Port. We were left out of our reserved room when we showed up. I had made a reservation by phone and email six months prior and called them the day before arrival. I told them we would be there by dinner time st 6. We showed up st 4:30 because of the train strike and the only person working there was cooking and told us to come back because she was busy and could not check us in. We went to the store to pick up supply and when we returned she gave up our room stating we had not called to confirm and our name was in the reservation book. I asked her to please call the owner and she stated he never answers her calls. She was rude and aggressive and demeaning. My wife felt so humiliated.I would not recommend anyone staying in this Albuergue. I am going to report this to the French Tourism Authorities.
What a strange account. I know Beilari from several experiences and, honestly, this is totally at odds with every thing I know about this very special place. I consider my experiences there to be amongst the warmest, most humane memories of the many stops along the Camino Francés. I know their policy about confirming reservations is very serious. I have also met the woman you mention. She brings a roomful of light into a space. The more I think about this the less I understand .

Last edited:
I disagree. If we post our good experiences on this forum and are discouraged or forbidden to post our bad experiences, then the forum becomes meaningless as a place to share our camino experiences with each other. As the OP's bad experience is more than outweighed by the many favourable reviews of Beilari, that should be adequate to cause readers to sympathize with him on the first day of his camino, while accepting that we shall make our own conclusions, based on the balance of the postings which we have read and our personal experiences, if any.
Thank you

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So, at the risk of pointing out the obvious, you were upset about what you perceived to be poor service from a fellow American, with what you perceived to be a bad attitude. The fact that you mention your nationality puzzles me, or do you expect better treatment than others because of your nationality?

As other posters have pointed out, there may be any number of reasons for the staff member to act this way, stress, a bad day, personal issues etc etc.

While I understand that poor service can be very annoying, and it is easy to vent while angry, why are you posting this on a public forum and not contacting the owner of the facility directly, to sort out the issue?

Did you speak to the owner at any stage, to try to sort out the issue?

If the staff member was unhappy/angry/rude etc, have you not reacted in the same way by posting about the incident? The only person you can control is yourself.

As you mention the business, did you any any stage consider what your original post could potentially do to the business? As you can see from the replies, your isolated experience is not what has been experienced by others, so thankfully balance is being restored by the forum.

I sincerely hope that your experiences improve, that you enjoy your Camino, and that this incident will fade from memory, and seem less "big" as your journey unfolds. Lessons from the Camino come in various ways!!

Buen camino.
How about the cost and inconvenience and humiliation my wife and I went through. Does this matter? Not a single response from the owner.

I am sorry that this happened to you. I suspect that you chose Bellari based on their reputation and reviews. It sounds as though you never were able to speak to the owner.

I don't know if the owner reads this forum, but he likely reads reviews on the websites people consult when choosing a place to stay (Bookings, Tripadviser, Expedia, Gronze, etc). I think you should post a review with your very low rating reflecting your experience. It is extremely likely that he will see it.

As for the employee, it isn't easy to fire a long time employee in France. Your documentation would be helpful to him. He may not be very accessible to his employees or perhaps they don't like to bother him when they screw up.

Don't mention being American. Your complaint in English with North American syntax will be obvious enough.

This place has a very good reputation and people rave about it. If more people have experiences similar to yours and post about their experiences, that will no longer be the case. I am sure the owner is aware of that, as well as the fact that there are other places to stay in SJPDP.

No apologies or response from the owner?..

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Inhumano regardless of nationality

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If there is a fire or a heart attack dial 112 and ask for either the fire service or ambulance, don't call the owner, he is probably not qualified for fire and cardiac arrest.
I happen to be a trauma surgeon. You missed the whole point of my fraustration. Maybe you should read my original post!

I am a trauma surgeon. You missed the point perhaps you need to re read my original post.

Thank you. A simple apology from the owner would suffice!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Inhumane regardless of nationality

I am not questioning your experience or your reaction to it. You were there and I was not. I was simply asking if your nationality is relevant to your complaint since you make a very deliberate point of stating it. If it was not part of the problem then why mention it so emphatically? Should your nationality have any impact on the treatment you received or expected?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Beillari it is then

If they are accepting bookings for October 31st

Last edited:
I am American and could not have been treated better at this Albergue. This is the first bad review I have read. I am sorry for your experience. This is my third week on the Camino and the sold out crowds have caused many an issue.

I am a trauma surgeon. You missed the point perhaps you need to re read my original post.
Hi Humbertico,
Surely it's time to let this go now
You are only driving yourself up the wall

And regardless of what you are, you would still have to call the fire brigade if there was a fire
And an ambulance if there was a cardiac arrest
Best wishes
Annette

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Humbertico, we Americans are a grumpy lot right now. I'm sorry you encountered one of us Californians in a bad mood cooking at the lovely Beilari albergue. Maybe she was having a rough day for reasons that had nothing to do with you. Could you see letting go of this incident and directing your energy toward one of the many critical issues that are confronting our country at this moment in history? We could sure use some passion like you have to put forth good causes on so many fronts.
Well stated, kdespot. John, from two states further north...

I have read all your posts and haven't read that you contacted the owner. Before going to the tourism bureau I would contact him. I stayed at Beilari in 2015 and had a wonderful experience. I'm not discounting the bad experience you had, but I don't think it is indicative of what most pilgrims experience at Beilari. That is why I think it is important to notify the owner.

While I am sure that the cost and inconvenience were mildly irritating, " inhumane" seems a very strong word to describe your spat with a cook.

When I look around at what is happening in the world today, I see many instances of inhumane treatment of people, the experience you described, doesn't cut it, in my book at least.

Like nationality I am not sure what bearing profession had on the situation...

I have read your responses, and like others, wonder why are you holding on to this? I guess the cook was probably annoyed with what she deemed another belligerent tourist, but, I also would guess, she probably hasn't thought about it again. The only person being effected, by holding onto this, is you.

Chalk it up to experience, read the terms and conditions in future, and let it go.

Enjoy your walk.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We were left out of our reserved room when we showed up.
when we returned she gave up our room stating we had not called to confirm and our name was in the reservation book.
I am going to report this to the French Tourism Authorities.
I hope you are feeling better now that you have copy-pasted this same message on Tripadvisor. I would suggest when you do write to the "French Tourism Authorities" to be more specific about the room/bed thing - it's not clear to me as I mentioned before. And I guess it should say "our name was NOT in the reservation book"? Or was it in the book but not confirmed? And I suppose you've not contacted the owners yourself and have no plans to do so? Bon courage et bonne chance en tout cas.

Last edited:
Hi @Humbertico . Thanks for sharing this experience. It is good to warn others.

There are 101 reasons why your experience was not acceptable. That should not have happened to anyone. But for some reason, it did. And it happened to you.

But.........

SxxT happens on the Camino. Other stuff is going to happen that annoys you, irritates you and darn well makes you angry. I think it's part of the things we learn by walking a Camino. We hopefully learn to quickly get over it, and move on. There is no point staying upset. We are only hurting ourselves and impacting our Camino.

Sometimes it's a hard lesson to learn, but it's one worth persevering with ;)
Put the sxxt behind you and move on, even if it's hard to do.

Hopefully some really great stuff is happening for you now :)

I was simply asking if your nationality is relevant to your complaint since you make a very deliberate point of stating it. If it was not part of the problem then why mention it so emphatically? Should your nationality have any impact on the treatment you received or expected?
At first it sounded like a story of American visitor is treated badly in France. But from other messages I gather it was a verbal spat between compatriots ...

Ok, I'm letting it go now, I promise. :cool:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don’t get it? The problem is that there was a mix up in reservations? So you didn’t get the room you booked or you didn’t get a bed at all? How the hell does that humiliate anyone? Inconvenience? Leave you out of pocket? Possibly, but seriously your original post is poorly written even for a native speaker to understand, so maybe your call to the pension was misunderstood? Did you try using French?

Sorry for your tribulations. I am a member of your club, being locked out on May 6. Fortunately, I was able to talk to the Volunteers at the Pilgrim Office just up the hill and he directed me to a place just over the bridge on the left, run by Eric. Wonderful man.

post edited by grayland to remove unsupported accusation.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Humbertico
I have begun and terminated various caminos with crises of one sort or another, so I know what it is like to have everything go sideways. Careful planning fell apart and I had to try to adjust when I was exhausted from the lack of one or more nights sleep, due to travel. But I have only had to try to take care of myself. I know from your posting how carefully you have tried to think out and plan for your wife's camino as well as your own. I hope that you and she are coming to terms with the challenging beginning of your camino. Maybe you will need to sit a little more loosely with your planning. For now, if you do what you need to to finish with your experience at Beilari, take care of one another, and begin your walk gently, you may discover what this camino is to be for you. Blessings on your Way and buen camino.

Sorry for your tribulations. I am a member of your club, being locked out on May 6. Fortunately, I was able to talk to the Volunteers at the Pilgrim Office just up the hill and he directed me to a place just over the bridge on the left, run by Eric. Wonderful man.
Thankfully, it is a very small club.

‘One American surgeon and his wife feeling humiliated by albergue cook’
Sorry...get a grip!
One small addition:
‘One American surgeon and his wife feeling humiliated by American albergue cook’
The Gendarmes definitely have more important things to deal with than that.

None of us are born entitled to anything.
People can be nice to us, or not.
People can respect us, or not.
There's no way to control that, but what goes around does come around.

The Camino is a wonderful teacher of how to transcend petty reactions, and the joy of just moving on when the inevitable disappointments happen, rather than taking it so personally.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One small addition:
‘One American surgeon and his wife feeling humiliated by American albergue cook’
The Gendarmes definitely have more important things to deal with than that.

None of us are born entitled to anything.
People can be nice to us, or not.
People can respect us, or not.
There's no way to control that, but what goes around does come around.

The Camino is a wonderful teacher of how to transcend petty reactions, and the joy of just moving on when the inevitable disappointments happen, rather than taking it so personally.
@VNwalking
I do not understand why you and Domigee have picked up on a reference to informing the Gendarmerie in @MichelleElynHogan 's post and credited @Humbertico with it. I have reread his posts. Unless I missed something, he refers only to informing the tourist authorities. This seems to me to be a reasonable reaction to an apparent cancellation of his booking, combined with a rude response. Edit: The reference to the Gendarmerie in @MichelleElynHogan 's post has been removed by a moderator.

Last edited:
@Albertagirl, that comment about the gendarmes I made was in response Michelle's post, understanding that it had nothing to do with Humbertico. Sorry that is not clear.
he refers only to informing the tourist authorities. This seems to me to be a reasonable reaction to an apparent cancellation of his booking, combined with a rude response.
This is not what I'd consider doing first, to be honest.

Exactly what @VNwalking wrote. I would first try to get the owner, then I would go to PO if they could help getting owner on the phone and only then I would (not) think of informing French Tourist Organisation or even Gendarmerie. That last suggestion is just silly I think.

EDIT: Actually when I think of it and if the situation described by @Humbertico is at least 60% true I would just put my pack down, sit in the communal area of Beilari and make myself their problem. Not mine anymore. I guess the owner would be there in no time. And If I would have any e-mail notification of (6 months prior to date) reservation and a call in my phone calls history (a day ago) that's a done thing. Either Beilari or anything else for the money we settled for.

Brackets are info from OP!!!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would just [...]
We could start a conversation about What I did when I did not get the room I thought I had booked or thought I would get. It happened to me a few times. All memorable though not in a terribly negative way. My main reaction was usually, oh just give me a bed; it's just for one night. :)

Last edited:
Loved Beilari and Joseph was terrific last year, I recommended a friend stay there this year,however it was frustrating trying to contact and book, things have definitely changed this year but I’m sure Joseph will sort it out. Still recommend it and will stay there again

Stayed at Beilari in April and had a really good experience, which set me up for my first Camino. The staff were all friendly and extremely helpful. This is just my personal experience and obviously @Humbertico had a different one. I think if you discount the best and worst reviews and look at what most people say about a place you’ll get somewhere close to the truth.

€60,-
I am very sorry that you and your wife had this experience. I had a really wonderful experience at Beilari a year ago, many have reported similar experiences. That said, negative things happen to us along the way. So sorry that it was your first day, not a pleasant way of starting. I had a couple of lousy situations happen to me at albergues, one in Uterga and then later on closer to Santiago.
I would hope that you could talk with Joseph, the owner of Beilari (I'm hoping that he is still the owner), to express your concerns. He was very approachable and generous with his time.
I wish the very best for you and your wife for a wonderful camino experience.... Ultreia!

Please keep this sort of post to Tripadviser - Beilari and especially Joseph, was for me a wonderful start to my Camino in March - this site is not for personal grievances.

Not true...we need to hear the good and the not so good.

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt until this last post. You need not have to mention your nationality. You are giving yourself and others true meaning to the term "ugly Am------" SORRY! If the lady was rude, she needs to be addressed by the owner. Your nationality, unfortunately, is of no importance. My apologies.

€60,-
Rudeness often begets rudness, and there are usually more than one side to each story. It is not clear from your post how "she gave up" your room, whether you were or were not in the reservation book, whether you did or did not get a room, and if so where and how? It appears that this was the very first experience of your very first camino, and that you have written your post in great anger. I hope that the rest of your camino is more pleasant, and that you are able to roll with the punches that are yet to come.

Last edited:
I was in St. Jean at the beginning of September without a reservation. Met some people staying at Beilari and they had a fabulous time. They tried to get me a bed there, but alas, it wasn't to be. I did meet Joseph and he was the NICEST guy. I don't know if the cook was grumpy or not but the smells from that kitchen made me very very sad I missed a chance to stay there. I got the last "bed" in the city next door, for which she charged me double. She had cats and dogs everywhere and a list of very particular rules including when th ONE shower could be used which meant no shower for me for the night. I just spent it trying not to get yelled at for doing things wrong that I didn't understand!

But it was only one night and quickly got over it! Should I go again (I failed to finish), I will book a couple of months in advance specifically to get a spot in Beilari for a solid night's sleep and a chance to share a meal.

In case anyone stops in Larrasoana, I had the most wonderful experience at the San Nicholas albergue. A wonderful terrace to chill out on before dinner. And the BEST pilgrim's meal for 10 euros. Simple, homemade and filling. In addition to the three courses, there was fresh tomato in olive oil and wine and plenty of good company.

So, I stayed at Beilari in May of this year. It was a wonderful experience. When you look at their website and book they are extremely particular about confirming 24 hours in advance. If you are traveling to St Jean from far away (in my case from California), this means you have to remember to do it while you are en route. I found my hosts at Beilari to be very present and conscientious, and very dedicated to ensuring a good start to people’s Camino experience. I’m not sure all of what goes into making this magic happen night after night but their confirmation policy is stated and taken very seriously. That being said, it is a lovely establishment and I’d recommend it to anyone. The cook was kind, but busy and I suspect probably an introvert. My experiences with her were gracious enough.

So, I stayed at Beilari in May of this year. It was a wonderful experience. When you look at their website and book they are extremely particular about confirming 24 hours in advance. If you are traveling to St Jean from far away (in my case from California), this means you have to remember to do it while you are en route. I found my hosts at Beilari to be very present and conscientious, and very dedicated to ensuring a good start to people’s Camino experience. I’m not sure all of what goes into making this magic happen night after night but their confirmation policy is stated and taken very seriously. That being said, it is a lovely establishment and I’d recommend it to anyone. The cook was kind, but busy and I suspect probably an introvert. My experiences with her were gracious enough.
So true, Marian. I made my reservation at Beilari 2 1/2 months before arriving in SJPdP. I asked the front desk clerk of the hotel where I was staying in Bayonne to re-confirm my arrival 24 hours before I showed up at the Beilari. All good. And as noted in an earlier post above, Joseph and company were terrific.

We could start a conversation about What I did when I did not get the room I thought I had booked or thought I would get. It happened to me a few times. All memorable though not in a terribly negative way. My main reaction was usually, oh just give me a bed; it's just for one night. :)
Also had a problem not getting a bed I thought I had booked. Pellerin just down the street from Beliari took a booking from me at the end of November. Two days later they closed their site but informed no-one. Just days before arriving in Saint Jean,a fellow pilgrim posted on here that the place was closed. At short notice Beilari took me in. That night, another pilgrim was standing outside looking bewildered. Same problem. The lady working there, (from Donostia/San Sebastian) invited her in and gave her a bed. She said they always try to keep a spare bed or two for late comers. It was a great night and I still keep in touch with some of the folk I met that night. Would recommend Belari without hesitation

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On my ‘unfinished’ Camino earlier this year, I met a man at the train station in Bayonne who struck up
a conversation with me. He asked me where I was staying in SJPP and I had no clue. Being the third week of March, I wasn’t worried about finding accommodation. He called Joseph and asked if I could stay at this wonderful ‘home’ like albergue and after 2 days of traveling from Canada, I will never forget that night! Joseph invited us to share where we were from, what made us choose walking the Camino and what were our expectations. The food and wine were plentiful as was the warmth and fellowship we shared. His (Joseph’s) intention on ‘launching us’ on our journeys was thoughtful, personal and appreciated! Obviously the time of year I walked impacted bed availability.
Buen Camino and I would worry more about bedbugs than finding a bed!!!! But that is another topic!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I recommend Beilari. I certainly hope no one judges me by only a few moments in my life
I know the cook and she is very kind and provides delicious food. Also I know she has some serious health problems and I admire that she continues serve others. I don't know how much pain she is in each day or how many times she was interrupted that day but I know she needs our love and prayers.
I have stayed at Beilari 5 times and it always the best start because I continue to meet people from the family we make at Beilari. Also when you make the reservation a phone number for Joseph in included.
I find it ironic that the people that expect always courtesy from other people are quick to respond with very little courtesy and kindness. Consider this incident as part of what the Camino is teaching you.

I find it ironic that the people that expect always courtesy from other people are quick to respond with very little courtesy and kindness. Consider this incident as part of what the Camino is teaching you.
SO beautifully said, @easygoing. Thank you.
And a needed reminder for us all that when things happen between people, taking things personally is always a mistake. Who knows what is happening in other people's lives??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.