• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beilari evening meal

Dorpie

RIP 2019
Time of past OR future Camino
Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia 2013
Camino Frances May 2015, July 2017, October 2019
Has anyone got any experience of coming in on the 7.36pm train to SJPdP and then going for dinner at Beilari? I understand they start the meal at 7.30 and best case scenario I'd be arriving at 7.45. On previous caminos I've stayed at other places but everybody seems to love Beilari, however I'm worried I'm trying to force something that just won't work and reluctant to waste 37 Euro. Thoughts?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This maybe sacrilege to all Beilarites so I apologise in advance.
I did not like my stay in the Beilari. Found it a bit forced and personally intrusive the invisible ball game at mealtime left me cold I understand the reasoning to get people talking about themselves, but if I remember correctly I was not given the choice not to get involved, maybe I should have left, but did not know what was coming.
if your not a vegetarian the diner choice was poor not worth the cost.
I feel that some of pilgrims that stay there are seeking a spiritual start and a meaning to walk.
I personally did not know why I was walking, but found that out much later it was the "best decision" I have ever made.
So enjoy your stay in Beilari its not everyones cup of green tea (sorry) but can be a good experience to many people.
This is my personal opinion and runs contrary to many pilgrims obvious thoughts on this establishment.

Buen Camino

Thanks for the advice @MickMac ! As an also non-veggie that's very useful info.

Rob.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm staying there at end of month and agree price is a little high especially as no meat at table. I stayed in Orisson last year and it was underwhelming. I think on Camino it's better too leave expectations behind and hope for the best. I stayed in Napoleon Gite when I arrived this time last year on same train time slot. It was excellent and food was one of best on Camino 🤠

the invisible ball game at mealtime left me cold

Was it an imaginary ball of ice 🤠
I personally did not know why I was walking, but found that out much later it was the "best decision" I have ever made.

Please share, was staying at Beilari best decision or revelation of why you where walking 'best decision'.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I thought all Derry people were veggies🤔 enjoy! maybe they have meat? Ham sandwich please 😉
Derry wans are carnivorous whereas Londonderry wans are the fruitarians or is it the other way around 🤠

Those fruitarians like tomatoe and cheese bocadillos just to be different.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did not like my stay in the Beilari. Found it a bit forced and personally intrusive
I don't like that sort of thing much either. However, twice now, I have "forced" myself to participate in good humour. I found that I was able to enjoy myself - partly because no one from my normal life was there and I could step out of my normal character. I was pleased to accomplish that, and it helped me set forth in a more sociable open-minded mood. ;)

Having said that, it is certainly not the only good way to start your Camino, so I'd suggest not adding the pressure of being on time.

Has anyone got any experience of coming in on the 7.36pm train to SJPdP and then going for dinner at Beilari? I understand they start the meal at 7.30 and best case scenario I'd be arriving at 7.45. On previous caminos I've stayed at other places but everybody seems to love Beilari, however I'm worried I'm trying to force something that just won't work and reluctant to waste 37 Euro. Thoughts?
I have volunteered at Beilari and it is not uncommon for someone to arrive a little late. Do it. You won´t forget it and you will be welcomed warmly.

Also am not a vegetarian, but found the food at Beilari delicious and plentiful. No problem. It is a very wonderful experience.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for the inside information @josephmcclain , much appreciated!

Could you tell me at roughly what time the meal usually ends so I can get an idea of how much of it I would be missing?

Thanks,

Rob.

Thanks for the inside information @josephmcclain , much appreciated!

Could you tell me at roughly what time the meal usually ends so I can get an idea of how much of it I would be missing?

Thanks,

Rob.
Hi Dorpie
I can’t remember exactly the start time for dinner but you’d probably only miss the ‘invisible ball’ game , wink wink .
In 2016 I had booked 2 nights there with others finishing the Le Puy Route. 2 of them walked the stretch Sjpdp to Roncevalles on 2nd day (to finish off ) and bussed back. They arrived late but still fitted in for dinner. I got 2 nights of ‘invisible ball’. Great little town to hang out for day though
To each his own / they are very helpful and friendly there. I’m not a veggie either and I am with @MickMac there. I think the game thing might help some newbies on first camino understand their companions and form new friendships but after finishing a walk; I must admit I too had to force myself a little .
Buen camino
Annie

This maybe sacrilege to all Beilarites so I apologise in advance.
I did not like my stay in the Beilari. Found it a bit forced and personally intrusive the invisible ball game at mealtime left me cold I understand the reasoning to get people talking about themselves, but if I remember correctly I was not given the choice not to get involved, maybe I should have left, but did not know what was coming.
if your not a vegetarian the diner choice was poor not worth the cost.
I feel that some of pilgrims that stay there are seeking a spiritual start and a meaning to walk.
So enjoy your stay in Beilari its not everyones cup of green tea (sorry) but can be a good experience to many people.
This is my personal opinion and runs contrary to many pilgrims obvious thoughts on this establishment.

Buen Camino

Hola @MickMac. I can totally understand your position. Some times you are happy to co-mingle, others you just want a quiet meal and good glass of vino tinto. About the meal - was there any advance warning/advice that it was a vego deal?? Unless the philosophy of the place indicated such I would have thought that such info in advance was a necessity. Now I enjoy a good vegetarian meal, but like the option to part-take or skip up front. (PS I do not know Beilari - so please forgive me ignorance, or speaking out of turn). Cheers

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Mike.
I wouldn't mind but the invisible ball nearly put my eye out metaphorically of course . 😜

Last edited:
I faced the same dilemma, but solved it by staying a second night to unwind from traveling. Ate dinner there even tho I was staying elsewhere. And I'll respectfully disagree with MickMac. While I understand that the game playing is a bit artificial (a pretend ball is tossed from person to person to introduce yourselves), it served it's purpose. Joseph, the proprietor, and Matthew, his son-in-law the cook, are warm and welcoming. They attempt to set a tone for the upcoming experience that I found useful. As for the meal, I found it delightful, tho I am vegetarian. Even the meat eaters I sat near liked it. Everyone wants a different experience, perhaps, so choose what suits you best.

I enjoyed my stay at Beilari. I do eat meat but enjoy veggie meals on occasion. As for the introduction game, I actually enjoyed it very much. And bonded with many of the participants. But I agree, not everyone's cup of tea, and if you are on the fence, don't feel you have to go there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have stayed at Beilari many times and love it.
1. The food is full of enough cheese and flavor to please anyone and after weeks of meat and fries you might find yourself longing for a veggie.
2. Joseph plays the invisible ball game to help each one not only to get to know each other but it helps you discover something about yourself.
For instance, my first Camino I might not have liked the game either, but now I enjoy the sharing as a head start on the magic that brings people together on the Camino.
And to answer the original question just let Joseph know and he will welcome you whenever you arrive and save your dinner.
Buen Camino

I stayed there in April. They held dinner for me. The food was good if you are vegetarian. I didn’t think the stay was worth the change, especially after the host nearly came to blows with a pilgrim who wanted to switch their room assignment

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Huh, funny. 🤔 I stayed there April 2019, and though I’m not a vegetarian, I didn't remember NOT having meat that night until this discussion!!! 😂. I guess the meal was that good or, more likely, the food was secondary to the experience.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Huh, funny. 🤔 I stayed there April 2019, and though I’m not a vegetarian, I didn't remember NOT having meat that night until this discussion!!! 😂. I guess the meal was that good or, more likely, the food was secondary to the experience.
I don't remember either! If someone has eating restrictions, they should say so in advance, but I don't think the host should be obliged to announce the menu at the time of reservations. Maybe the meal will have meat, maybe not. Maybe this, or that. Meals without meat are quite normal these days, even for people who are not "Vegetarian."

I have stayed at Beilari twice. I only went the second time because my daughter wanted to go there. I have no complaints about the "invisible ball' game or the fact that it was a vegetarian meal. Joseph was very welcoming and friendly. I just think it is a bit expensive for what you get. You can get the equivalent level of accommodation and meal most places on the Camino for around 20E.

It is France. Always more expensive than Spain, in my experience.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.