A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Beilari in SJPP if dinner isn't an option?

Camino(s) past & future
(2018)
I planned to arrive in SJPP on April 1 and start walking April 2. On the advice of many, I booked into Beilari for April 1. They responded that "Sorry, on Sundays we don't open the kitchen for dinner." I don't know if that is all Sundays or, more likely, because it is Easter Sunday (I didn't see any reference on their website to no dinner on Sunday).
My question is-- without the communal dinner that many have raved about, should I still stay at Beilari that night or somewhere else?
Thanks!

nomadpeah

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2015, (CF 2018)
I planned to arrive in SJPP on April 1 and start walking April 2. On the advice of many, I booked into Beilari for April 1. They responded that "Sorry, on Sundays we don't open the kitchen for dinner." I don't know if that is all Sundays or, more likely, because it is Easter Sunday (I didn't see any reference on their website to no dinner on Sunday).
My question is-- without the communal dinner that many have raved about, should I still stay at Beilari that night or somewhere else?
Thanks!
Yes. It's still a lovely place and has a wonderful staff (owners.)

crackmrmac

Veteran Member
Hola, I think you would be happy to have your first night reserved? So this albergue appeals to you. No communal meal, no worries. There will be many novice pilgrims sleeping there. Be prepared as mentioned by Anniesantiago
The large supermarket (Intermarche?) might be open until noon?
Buen Camino.

Camino(s) past & future
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF15, CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF17, CP17, CdN, CM, CF18, LePuy19
On Easter Sunday in France I would suggest buying some food supplies the day before. Hardly anything is open including the pizza shops on Easter Sunday.

Camino(s) past & future
(2018)
Just an update: I had sent a message back to them with a couple questions. They sent a very kind reply including this:
on Sunday we don't open the kitchen because is the cook's rest-day.
But we will do an aperitif-meeting-cerclewith all the pilgrims of this evening.

I can’t wait to start my camino with them!

Camino(s) past & future
May 2016
Thanks!
My wife and I stayed there last May; the place is O.K. but dinner is no big deal at all...

tpmchugh

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
Camino Frances (2015)
Thanks!
There is a nice little place to eat a short distance on up the street. Try the Basque beer in here, its good

Camino(s) past & future
Zip
Thanks!
Beillari was my favorite albergue on the whole CF, specifically because of the sweet connecting time at dinner. So, I would find another place if you can, someplace that offers dinner Easter night. It's a great time to bond with others that you may be hiking with or seeing on and off all the way to Santiago. Maybe reserve Orrisson instead? I had several people tell me I really missed a great evening by not staying there.

Camino(s) past & future
(2018)
Beillari was my favorite albergue on the whole CF, specifically because of the sweet connecting time at dinner. So, I would find another place if you can, someplace that offers dinner Easter night. It's a great time to bond with others that you may be hiking with or seeing on and off all the way to Santiago. Maybe reserve Orrisson instead? I had several people tell me I really missed a great evening by not staying there.
They won’t take reservations yet— not sure the route will be open. Have to call just a day or two ahead to see.

Cyclone

Camino(s) past & future
Plan to walk Camino Frances 2018
Anyone know another place in SJPdP that do dinners on the albergue on sundays? My plan is to take the Napoleon route and stay at Orisson April 1st but need a backup plan if its closed. Somewhere in SJPdP or Valcarlos preferably with dinner.

CiaraC

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese Coastal Route - Summer 2016
French Route - Summer 2018
Reopening this. Anyone know how it works in Beilari on Sunday evenings if there's no communal meal? Is it still €33?

CiaraC

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese Coastal Route - Summer 2016
French Route - Summer 2018
So they have emailed that it'll be €20 without the meal. Now I just have to figure out where to actually find/make dinner that night!

Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2, El Norte incompleto
So they have emailed that it'll be €20 without the meal. Now I just have to figure out where to actually find/make dinner that night!
There are plenty of restaurants to have dinner at, and possibly meet some fellow pilgrims. Or perhaps the others staying at Beilari that night will join you.

AlexanderAZ

Camino(s) past & future
CF-Fisterra-Muxia (Sept/Oct 2017)
My wife and I stayed there last May; the place is O.K. but dinner is no big deal at all...
I stayed there last September. Couldn’t tell you what I ate as it wasn’t about the food and frankly not about the accommodations. Joseph did an AMAZING job of creating a Camino family with the other pilgrims staying there that continued throughout the Camino. In fact, we have a WhatsApp group named “Belari Camino Family” that is still active as today.

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement
Booking.com

Latest posts

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 33 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 107 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 179 24.5%