• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Being a Pilgrim" Art and Ritual on the Medieval Routes to S

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
FROM ROSINA

in Washington D.C. the National Gallery Museum has Camino wall calendars on sale. About 12 x 12 they are distributed by Tushita, Inc. USA - tushita.usa@tushita.com - ISBN 978-3-86765-335-0. and are entitled "The year 2010. CAMINO DE SANTIAGO Way and Destination."
Also, a just published book about the Camino written by medievalist professor Kathleen Ashley of the University of Southern Maine, admirably illustrated by Marilyn Deegan who is Professor Emeritus in the Humanities at Kings College in London. The name of the book is "BEING A PILGRIM" Art and Ritual on the Medieval Routes to Santiago (ISBN 978-0-85331-989-4).
The narratives of the culture, geography, and social and architectural infrastructure of the pilgrimage are richly complemented by riveting sections on visiting the Saints, the wonder of the towns, legends folklore and miracles, the musical journey and the ritual endings of the Pilgrimage in Santiago.
The illustrations and photographs are incomparably revealing and fascinating in major and minor details. The book is large, about 10 by 12 inches, and weighty since its 261 pages are printed in that heavy glossy paper of art books.It costs $60. and is worth every penny.
PS: Barnes & Noble have the book for $40.50 and people in the UK can buy a 2nd hand book through Amazon.co.uk for £18.

Adding these publications to the recently completed encyclopedia put together by our very own Kathy Gower it certainly does seem that Christmas has come early this year.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Sil,

Thanks for the tips. I just ordered both. However, I could not find the calendar on the National Gallery web site but I did find it on calendars.com. Free shipping in the US if you e-mail the web site page to friends. I ordered the book from the Barnes & Noble web site and they were also offering free shipping in the US (did have to pay VAT).

Thanks and best wishes,

Kenneth Reid
Michigan USA

PS Will be on the Camino in May 2010

I have ordered a copy from a local Internet shop - can't wait to get it! It will be my Christmas present from my husband.
Apparently it is the best book to come out on the camino since David Gilitz and Linda Davidson's book was published in 2000.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
YIPEE!!! My Christmas present arrived early - and what a beautiful, glossy, coffee table book it is. I've paged through it - more photographs than text - and can't wait for a quiet moment to read it.

This is a stunning book covering the Santiago Ways in France and Spain. Very good quality paper, exceptional photography and fascinating historical data with each photograph.

There are 9 chapters: A Culture of Pilgrimage: Geography of Pilgrimage: Preparing for Pilgrimage: Social and Architectural Infrastructure of Pilgrimage: Visiting the Saints: The Wonder of the Towns: Legends, Folklore and Miracles: The Musical Journey: and the City of Santiago and Ritual endings of Pilgrimage (with 7 pages of the best photographs I've ever seen of the Portico del Gloria).

For those interested in researching the camino, besides the bibliography there are 6 pages on Further Reading!

I have been to many of the places mentioned in the book but haven't seen 1/10 of what they show. Either places were closed, or we were passing through or we were too tired or I didn't know what to look for!
I think my next 'camino' will have to be by car so that I can take the book with me and visit all the monuments, churches, cathedrals, bridges, towns and villages featured in the book. It just wouldn't be possible to do it all on foot - unless you have five years to spare and a few million to spend!
Highly recommended.

Sil,

I've been looking at the limited details of the book available online. Would you be able to tell me which routes it deals with?

thanks,

Andy

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It mostly follows the 4 Codex Calixtinus routes through France and Spain with pictures of monuments at places close to the routes - Rocamadour, Rabastens, Talmont-sur-Gironde, Angouleme etc.

Thanks Sil - I've had a Book Token and am enjoying contemplating which book or books to get,

Andy

There are many fine books on the Compostela pilgrimage but this, in my opinion, is the best coffee table type book available in English.

"The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago" by David Gitlitz and Linda Davidson is still, by far, the best cultural handbook on the camino Frances covering history, art, architecture, grology, folklore, saints etc.

Together these two books make a wonderful resource for everything that is 'el camino'.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sil - thanks. You've helped make my mind up!

Andy

Thanks Sil, have just ordered the book through Amazon. For any Australians out there who might be interested in purchasing it the cost, including postage, was AU$59, quite reasonable I thought for a coffee table book.

This book should carry a RISK warning! It might increase the addictive nature of el camino and make you want to follow the routes covered, carrying it with you (it weighs 1.3kg - over 2lbs).

If anyone would like to share a car journey in 2011, I'm more and more inclined to start in the north of France and zig-zag my way to every city, town, village and outpost to see for myself the momnuments featured so beautifully in this book!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back