• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Being "called" by The Way?

Jenibee

Time of past OR future Camino
TBD
Hello! I am so happy to have been led to this forum by an online friend who has done several Caminos and has been kindly sharing her knowledge with me as my husband and I begin to take baby steps towards making the decision to walk as well. How wonderful that this place exists, with so many active participants who obviously come together with a shared love of the journey and a strong desire to help others on their way. Just reading through the posts inspires me to jump in and become a part of the group, which is no small feat, considering my introverted nature.

I have heard it said that you donā€™t go looking for The Way; The Way calls YOU. Iā€™m beginning to understand what that means, having been introduced to the movie ā€œThe Wayā€, after which my husband and I turned to one another and declared, ā€œDefinitely not! That is NOT for us.ā€ Then I read a book. And another book. And we watched a documentary, and still another book was read, and well ā€¦ we kind of canā€™t seem to stop talking about it now. Is this how people are called? Does it truly happen this way? Itā€™s fascinating to me to see an unfolding of ā€œI canā€™t, I wonā€™tā€ into something that seems to have created a thirst. At one point in the early throes of reading, I found myself having quite an emotional response to the idea of the pilgrimage. Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ve ever felt that way about anything before ā€¦ Iā€™m ordinarily quite pragmatic, but this is something rather indescribable.

My husband and I love to hike. One might say we have come to the point where we ā€œliveā€ to hike, as our holidays are now planned around forests and canyons and mountains and trails. Always, trails. The work days in between provide the means by which to travel and explore, and the very idea of an upcoming trip makes the longer, slogging days in the office absolutely worth it all. I love the very act of simply walking. The fact that putting one foot in front of the other can transport me from this place to that place, and I may very well see or feel something wonderful along the path, is exhilarating to me. Itā€™s so very simple, and in that simplicity is such beauty. I find the act of walking to be prayerful and meditative, with the rhythmic cadence of footfall. Iā€™ve found it excruciating at times as well; weā€™ve found ourselves lost in a remote wild canyon and exhausted on the side of a mountain ā€“ but always, weā€™ve overcome, and the stories and memories from those times are priceless to us. I wouldnā€™t trade the hardship for anything.

We are in our mid-to-late 50s and physically fit, but have never walked great distances for days on end. That does give me a bit of pause when considering the requirements of the Camino, but I am also coming to understand that just because others walk 25-30km daily doesnā€™t necessarily mean that we would have to. Canā€™t you make the Camino your very own, in a sense, by recognizing your strengths, weaknesses, and travel needs, and make arrangements accordingly? In that vein, we also have ā€œspecial needsā€ when it comes to overnight accommodations. Neither of us have any desire to stay in an albergue, and Iā€™m truly sorry if thatā€™s somewhat anathema to say, but itā€™s our truth. It is a non-negotiable for us, but we are encouraged to learn that there are hotels and guest houses along the way that would likely suit us. The only other issue is that we require separate sleeping rooms. He snores and I am an extremely light sleeper who is disturbed by the slightest ā€œhuman soundsā€ in the night (I even wear ear plugs when sleeping alone!). Itā€™s always been this way, and we make do by securing accommodations where we can each have our own room. Of course this means added expense, but thatā€™s just how it is. Is it likely to be problematic along the Camino to find places to stay where we can each have our own private room? I fully understand that this may sound ridiculous to some (I have perhaps become used to being a bit defensive about it, in fact, when others have tried to dissuade me from what we know our own limitations to be), but I have suffered my last sleepless night on holiday. I wonā€™t pay to travel, only to be shattered from lack of sleep. I would not think this to be problematic, as to the hotel or guest house, we are simply two separate, paying guests.

We are studying routes and trying to get a feel for which would be best for us, given our accommodation needs and the fact that we will only likely have 3 weeks tops for the Camino. Of course, with COVID-19 concerns, there is no way to know when this could feasibly happen, but Iā€™ll turn 60 in 2022 and thereā€™s something about doing the pilgrimage in that year of my life that seems to speak to my soul.

I said I was an introvert, and youā€™d never know it by all of this rambling, would you? (Written communication comes so much easier for me than verbal.) Thanks to any who read this far and might wish to offer any insight on our accommodation needs. I look forward to diving into even more information here, as well as the seemingly countless books, podcasts, and websites that are out there. I remain intrigued by what does indeed feel to be ā€œthe callā€, and am eager to explore the possibility.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Welcome Jenibee!
I have suffered my last sleepless night on holiday. I wonā€™t pay to travel, only to be shattered from lack of sleep. I would not think this to be problematic, as to the hotel or guest house, we are simply two separate, paying guests.
There are plenty of non-albergue options on the Camino Frances, so you needn't be concerned. And...you might surprise yourself. Walking that much day after day means sleep comes easier than at home.

(Movies and the myths they promulgate aside: there is not a 'requirement' that 'real pilgrims' only sleep in an albergue. Albergues were originally meant for those who could not afford more expensive accommodation.)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Quote... the fact that we will only likely have 3 weeks tops for the Camino. Of course, with COVID-19 concerns, there is no way to know when this could feasibly happen, but Iā€™ll turn 60 in 2022 and thereā€™s something about doing the pilgrimage in that year of my life that seems to speak to my soul. Quote

Private rooms are easily available. With 3 weeks perhaps consider the Portugues Camino or doing the French Way over 2 years. It does sound like you are being called. Buen Camino

Hello! I am so happy to have been led to this forum by an online friend who has done several Caminos and has been kindly sharing her knowledge with me as my husband and I begin to take baby steps towards making the decision to walk as well. How wonderful that this place exists, with so many active participants who obviously come together with a shared love of the journey and a strong desire to help others on their way. Just reading through the posts inspires me to jump in and become a part of the group, which is no small feat, considering my introverted nature.

I have heard it said that you donā€™t go looking for The Way; The Way calls YOU. Iā€™m beginning to understand what that means, having been introduced to the movie ā€œThe Wayā€, after which my husband and I turned to one another and declared, ā€œDefinitely not! That is NOT for us.ā€ Then I read a book. And another book. And we watched a documentary, and still another book was read, and well ā€¦ we kind of canā€™t seem to stop talking about it now. Is this how people are called? Does it truly happen this way? Itā€™s fascinating to me to see an unfolding of ā€œI canā€™t, I wonā€™tā€ into something that seems to have created a thirst. At one point in the early throes of reading, I found myself having quite an emotional response to the idea of the pilgrimage. Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ve ever felt that way about anything before ā€¦ Iā€™m ordinarily quite pragmatic, but this is something rather indescribable.

My husband and I love to hike. One might say we have come to the point where we ā€œliveā€ to hike, as our holidays are now planned around forests and canyons and mountains and trails. Always, trails. The work days in between provide the means by which to travel and explore, and the very idea of an upcoming trip makes the longer, slogging days in the office absolutely worth it all. I love the very act of simply walking. The fact that putting one foot in front of the other can transport me from this place to that place, and I may very well see or feel something wonderful along the path, is exhilarating to me. Itā€™s so very simple, and in that simplicity is such beauty. I find the act of walking to be prayerful and meditative, with the rhythmic cadence of footfall. Iā€™ve found it excruciating at times as well; weā€™ve found ourselves lost in a remote wild canyon and exhausted on the side of a mountain ā€“ but always, weā€™ve overcome, and the stories and memories from those times are priceless to us. I wouldnā€™t trade the hardship for anything.

We are in our mid-to-late 50s and physically fit, but have never walked great distances for days on end. That does give me a bit of pause when considering the requirements of the Camino, but I am also coming to understand that just because others walk 25-30km daily doesnā€™t necessarily mean that we would have to. Canā€™t you make the Camino your very own, in a sense, by recognizing your strengths, weaknesses, and travel needs, and make arrangements accordingly? In that vein, we also have ā€œspecial needsā€ when it comes to overnight accommodations. Neither of us have any desire to stay in an albergue, and Iā€™m truly sorry if thatā€™s somewhat anathema to say, but itā€™s our truth. It is a non-negotiable for us, but we are encouraged to learn that there are hotels and guest houses along the way that would likely suit us. The only other issue is that we require separate sleeping rooms. He snores and I am an extremely light sleeper who is disturbed by the slightest ā€œhuman soundsā€ in the night (I even wear ear plugs when sleeping alone!). Itā€™s always been this way, and we make do by securing accommodations where we can each have our own room. Of course this means added expense, but thatā€™s just how it is. Is it likely to be problematic along the Camino to find places to stay where we can each have our own private room? I fully understand that this may sound ridiculous to some (I have perhaps become used to being a bit defensive about it, in fact, when others have tried to dissuade me from what we know our own limitations to be), but I have suffered my last sleepless night on holiday. I wonā€™t pay to travel, only to be shattered from lack of sleep. I would not think this to be problematic, as to the hotel or guest house, we are simply two separate, paying guests.

We are studying routes and trying to get a feel for which would be best for us, given our accommodation needs and the fact that we will only likely have 3 weeks tops for the Camino. Of course, with COVID-19 concerns, there is no way to know when this could feasibly happen, but Iā€™ll turn 60 in 2022 and thereā€™s something about doing the pilgrimage in that year of my life that seems to speak to my soul.

I said I was an introvert, and youā€™d never know it by all of this rambling, would you? (Written communication comes so much easier for me than verbal.) Thanks to any who read this far and might wish to offer any insight on our accommodation needs. I look forward to diving into even more information here, as well as the seemingly countless books, podcasts, and websites that are out there. I remain intrigued by what does indeed feel to be ā€œthe callā€, and am eager to explore the possibility.
Another future Camino addict has joined our family. Welcome!

The Camino Frances (CF) is by far the Camino which offers the best options for hostels & infrastructure. I advice you to buy the Wise Pilgrim guide for CF from the store here on the forum. It will give you great insight into many details of the Way, including lodgings. Read it and enjoy! And do use the search feature on the forum for different issues: There is 10s of thousand interesting threads here, new and old.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Hello, Jenibee, and a warm welcome to the Forum. :)

Here is a link which also may be of help as you begin: American Pilgrims on Camino's FAQs about a camino pilgrimage

The good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like you to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

My suggestion to start is this:
  1. Take a deep breath. Write down in large letters the reasons why you want to go on Camino. Place that piece of paper where you can see it every day. That way, if anxieties and fears threaten to overwhelm you as you plan, you can just breath, read what you have written, and focus on those reasons until the negative stuff fades.
  2. Make a list of questions and concerns that you have.
  3. Go to the Search Engine at the top of the Forum pages.
  4. Enter the words or phrase that you want more information about. You will get a huge amount of information to explore.
  5. If you find that you need help with anything, post a new thread so that your question or concern can be readily seen. If you post a question within someone else's thread, you won't receive as big of a response.
Lodging choices are not likely to draw criticisms from most folks. There are many who embrace the lifestyle of the alburgue as part of their fondness for the Camino, but there are lots of other folks who will use other lodging choices, from casa rurals to Paradors, as their end-of-the walking-day resting place for the night.

You can use tools such as Booking.com, Hotels.com, Google Maps, etc, to locate whatever you might want as a lodging choice. And AirBnB can also find great properties to stay at, as well. Need two, separate rooms? Sure, that's possible. . . but such a requests are best done by reservation ahead of time.

Again, welcome to the Forum. :)

....the Wise Pilgrim guide for CF from the store here on the forum. It will give you great insight into many details of the Way, including lodgings.

I would add that the Wise Pilgrim App is very helpful (and there are others) in that it can show you lodgings and allow you to book through Booking.com right through the app. I found it very helpful when I was walking the camino alone and was not sure of my stages until I was there walking them. So I was able to book a day or two in advance once I could better gauge the distances on the ground. The only places I booked before I left for my flight were my first lodging for getting over jet lag and orientation, and my last day near a travel hub for my return trip if that was a firm date.

I agree that the Camino Frances has a great deal of infrastructure allowing you more flexibility in your stages. The Portugese Way is very doable in three weeks also and there is also ample infrastructure on that route.

Of course, all this may change depending on the attrition of the businesses along the Caminos due to this crisis. And especially for that reason, it is worth having access to the most current information possible.

The calling to make a pilgrimage on the Camino is a very special one. Welcome to this wonderful forum.
And Buen Camino!

Thank you all so much for the wonderfully warm welcome and encouragement! Wow, I've already learned a number of things just based upon what you all have shared in a few short posts. I appreciate all of your advice, and will look into all recommendations, as well as continue to research, research, research! (For instance, I never even considered that Airbnb might be an option -- not sure WHY I didn't think of it, as that's a site we use often with great satisfaction when securing accommodations on our trips.) I know with certainty that I'll have many more questions, and appreciate the fact that so many have already paved the way with ready answers that I'll find when searching the forum. I am grateful for the kindness and open nature of this place. Thanks again!

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you all so much for the wonderfully warm welcome and encouragement! Wow, I've already learned a number of things just based upon what you all have shared in a few short posts. I appreciate all of your advice, and will look into all recommendations, as well as continue to research, research, research! (For instance, I never even considered that Airbnb might be an option -- not sure WHY I didn't think of it, as that's a site we use often with great satisfaction when securing accommodations on our trips.) I know with certainty that I'll have many more questions, and appreciate the fact that so many have already paved the way with ready answers that I'll find when searching the forum. I am grateful for the kindness and open nature of this place. Thanks again!
How nice that you are enjoying our company! I can assure you, this forum must be the most resourceful place on the planet for the Caminos. You have arrived amongst equals. :)

I/we completely understand your wondering/feeling about being called. It is a fact. It is what it is. Just remember: The Camino will give you what you need, not neccessarily what you want. Deep wisdom there... Just accept the call. There is a meaning to it.

In the meantime, have great fun reading in here, think about what you want to do (the how's are answered in abundance in many threads here) and enjoy being so lucky to be able to tap from the collective wisdom in here.

Do a search on Youtube & Google for "Santiago pilgrim". LOTS of stuff there. Enjoy.

Buen Camino! (Good Way!) Ultreya! (Upwards & Forwards!)

Edit:
(For instance, I never even considered that Airbnb might be an option -- not sure WHY I didn't think of it, as that's a site we use often with great satisfaction when securing accommodations on our trips.)

Remember, Spain is a 1st world country with a sophisticated infrastructure and a sophisticated history & traditions. Walking the Camino will not be a trail in the wilderness, but rather a walk from one historic village/town to another. You will both learn a lot, I believe/hope. You have quite an adventure ahead of you. An example is here, in Ponferrada, on the CF:

Last edited:
Do not over think walking the Camino. Just go and walk it when it is possible again. It is simply putting one foot in front of the other. Something you have done your entire life , and with the magic of the internet and mobile phones you have no worries in regards to setting yourselves up with private accommodations.

@Jenibee : Just to tease both of you (this is all on the Camino Frances):

In Pamplona, you can visit the bar where Ernest Hemingway used to drink/hangaround. (I have visited his house in Key West in Florida),

In Burgos, you can visit the cathedral as well as a small church nearby where what scientists believe is the genuine chalice of Christ is on display,

Relax by the pool in Boadilla del Camino (they have private rooms),

In Leon, you can admire the magificent cathedral,

In Astorga, the chocolate capital of Spain,the pilgrim museum, the Gaudi architecture (google Gaudi)

The Cowboy bar in El Ganso (crazy):

And much, much more on your Way, crossing Spain on foot.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ohhhh... I am completely and utterly smitten! What wonderful places, and what beautiful encouragement to simply go and do it.

My husband and I just returned from a little "suburban hike" near our home, and after catching up on how our day went, our conversation turned instantly and seemingly naturally to the Camino. It's so exciting even to talk and dream of it.

Ohhhh... I am completely and utterly smitten! What wonderful places, and what beautiful encouragement to simply go and do it.
Just do it. It is easier than you think. And it is there for you to grab. Your life will be changed by this walk.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Jenibee ā€¦ answering that deep call then?? Excellent!! ;).

How you walk your Camino and where you stay is up to you .. I would also go for the Frances as it has more infrastructure, so easier to find non refugio accommodation - though ā€¦. if one of you walked one day behind the other the one in front could book the room for two nights (and leave sweet messages on the pillow) - :D.

Three week Camino - will it be three weeks? How far away are you? Will there be jet lag? Possibly the best plan would be to do a Camino from St Jean to Santiago in two stages ā€¦many pilgrims split their Camino, some over a few years.

I always walk with my husband - and sometimes with our son, who is now 23.

Walking with a partner you like is WONDERFUL, and there will be hotels for you when travel restrictions aren't needed anymore.

I think planning to walk the Camino FrancƩs to arrive in Santiago would be the best choice for you. There are more people, the terrain is not too bad, there is more infrastructure and resources. This is a good travel planner, but when you do get to start walking, it is wise not to pre-order hotel rooms many days in advance, but maintain flexibility.

Welcome to the forum! I understand completely being "called" by the Camino. When I first heard of it, from a couple who had just walked from SJPP to Santiago, I thought "Who the h*** would want to do something like that!?". But then I kept hearing about it, or seeing things about it, and it seemed to niggle inside of my head until finally I found myself saying "This is something that I need to do". I've now completed 4 Caminos (and was supposed to walk the Kerry Camino, the InglƩs and the del Salvador starting a week ago), and I still I find the way "calling" to me. You may want to consider the Primitivo. So far, it is my favourite, and could be walked in your time frame. When I walked it, there was a couple from France who did not want to use albergues. They seemed to have no difficulty in finding private accommodation. I used the the gronze website, and a book on the Northern Caminos, as well as booking.com.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ahh the calling. Soon to come, the obsession, haha, and welcome to the life of the Camino. I like to suggest to the new found Caminoers that your Camino has started, the walking part just comes later. Enjoy every moment of your journey, from the prep, the training, the research, the travel and finally the walk. Buen Camino

Thank you all so very, very much.

Honestly, I'm not sure where my emotional response to "the call" is coming from. I'm not ordinarily an overly sappy sort, but these days there is something a bit raw bubbling up from within that seems to want to build a slight lump in my throat and make my eyes leak. Not in a bad/sad way ā€¦ just in a ā€¦ WAY. I don't know. It's very hard to pinpoint exactly what's happening, but I'm rolling with it, understanding that it too is part of whatever journey I suddenly find myself on. I like the idea that my Camino has started, but the walking comes later! I like that notion very much indeed.

We have two somewhat lengthy hiking trips planned for later this year in the U.S. While I'm certainly looking forward to them and hoping we'll get to take them (dependent upon whatever happens with the virus, of course), I'm not at all emotional when thinking of and planning for them. I tend to overthink things, but am very curious about this gut reaction that the mere thought of the Camino is invoking in me.

Last night my husband and I watched "I'll Push You", based upon the recommendation of a friend I know from elsewhere online (and who also participates here). I was a bit apprehensive, thinking it would turn me into a blubbering mess since the tears seem to want to flow anyway, but I was pleasantly surprised. There were certainly some incredibly tender moments, but overall I felt inspired and greatly encouraged by the journey undertaken by those incredible men, and those who helped along the way. It was just a very lovely thing, and the scenery was stunning. Just one more signpost that points me in the direction of wherever our starting point may be.

Oh, and I'll just add that Tom Petty was right. "The waiting IS the hardest part." Well, that, and simply not knowing where things will lead and when. But what fun it's going to be to find out!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Jenibeeā€”Iā€™m a new member too and find myself soothed by the words of this forum, during a time when most of us have been physically, mentally, or emotionally affected by Covid-19. I followed a link one grey winter day in March and found myself here. Iā€™ve never joined anything like this before and now this is the first thing I check each day.

So many of your thoughts resonated with me. I saw ā€œThe Wayā€ about five years ago, but didnā€™t think too much about it until I found myself in the small town of Villalpando, Spain two years later and noticed scallop shells, artwork, and informational signs about Pilgrims. Even then, I didnā€™t equate any of this with myself.

But somehow a seed took root and I couldnā€™t stop thinking about the Camino. I watched ā€œThe Wayā€ again and this time I cried like a baby. Last fall my husband and I were attending a conference in eastern Poland. We intended to spend 10 days after the conference vacationing in Europe, and when my husband asked me where I wanted to go, what came out of my mouth surprised even me: ā€œI want to walk the Camino.ā€ I quickly started backtracking with a million excuses: we were too old, we hadnā€™t prepped for it, (in fact, didnā€™t really know anything about it), didnā€™t have enough time, didnā€™t want to sleep communally, I didnā€™t know if I really wanted us to spend our whole vacation doing thisā€”what if we hated it?!, etc., etc. But after nearly 40 years together, my husband knows me pretty well and knew I had spoken my heartā€™s desire.

A quick Google search revealed that there are many different branches and possibilities to fit different needs, schedules, and desires. We decided to try the Camino Ingles, beginning in Ferrol, which is pretty low risk in terms of difficulty and time, being only 6 days, and to stay in small hotels, rather than albuerges. I canā€™t tell you how excited and scared I was even for such a brief journey! You would have thought that I had personally invented the entire concept!

Anyway, I donā€™t know what I expectedā€”but I donā€™t think I got it: it was not the hardest hike Iā€™ve taken, nor the most beautiful. What I did get was something transcendent, that I canā€™t describe even now; something that moves me to tears at the very thought of it, something that fills me with joy, something that Iā€™ve never experienced from any hike anywhere. Six days that changed everythingā€”and I canā€™t tell you how. . .

So this January, we were making plans to return to Europe and walk the Francesā€”and then all our plans came tumbling down. So now I feed that raging fire by writing about my own brief journey: the songs we sang, the people we met, the sights we saw, the things we talked about, the taste of regional wines and Galician food, our fellow Pilgrims, the Camino ā€œAngelsā€ we encountered, how it felt to arrive in Santiago, soaked to the skin in the driving rain. . .and the joy that endures.

I hope you can walk your Camino and that it brings you happiness. Do it your own way: you will find what you need, you will find things you didnā€™t expect, you will ā€œgo beyond.ā€

Oh, and I'll just add that Tom Petty was right. "The waiting IS the hardest part." Well, that, and simply not knowing where things will lead and when. But what fun it's going to be to find out!
And after my first Camino I realized what Bob Dylan meant by "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now".

Anyway, I donā€™t know what I expectedā€”but I donā€™t think I got it: it was not the hardest hike Iā€™ve taken, nor the most beautiful. What I did get was something transcendent, that I canā€™t describe even now; something that moves me to tears at the very thought of it, something that fills me with joy, something that Iā€™ve never experienced from any hike anywhere. Six days that changed everythingā€”and I canā€™t tell you how. . .

Shells, just reading this brought about a stirring in me. The transcendence of it all ā€¦ maybe that is what I am gravitating towards. Maybe that's truly "a thing" that can call to a person. You can't tell me how you were changed by those six days, and yet I totally believe you when you maintain that you WERE, without a doubt. It's so obvious as to be palpable in what you've written. Thank you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
@Shells & @Jenibee : I completely understand both of you. You both speak complete sense to me. Many of us have had it this way. The Camino is definitely calling you, and you are answering. It is what it is. Just accept the calling. Enjoy the ride; you are lucky.

And @efdoucette is completely correct: You are both already peregrinas (female for peregrinos; pilgrims). You have already started your Camino, and eventually, you will finish it by walking. Unfortunately, like me, you found the Camino at old age: I wish I was younger when I first walked. It is a lifechanging experience. But remember one thing: The way is the goal. Not Santiago. The Way. Why, you may ask?

The time spent on the Camino is an education. You will be working on your inner self. And the Camino will work on you. Not the first days, but as days pass. Walk, eat, sleep. Repeat. I cannot tell you details, you'll have to experience it for yourself. If you are receptive, it will be a real wakeup call. If not, you have to return :) I do, for the joy of it.

Do not be afraid of age: I was 55 on my first Camino, now 66, and ready to go again. I was a heavy smoker then; not now. I still made it. Easily. You are fit to do it.

When you're on the top of Alto del Perdon (Mountain of Forgiveness) after Pamplona, you'll look into the Promised Land, Navarra, and you'll get a grasp of where you will walk. Enjoy.

Buen Camino, peregrinas!

Last edited:
Welcome @Jenibee. And besides the welcome I want to say that some private albergues have private rooms available. Don't automatically discount them.

In Burgos, you can visit the cathedral as well as a small church nearby where what scientists believe is the genuine chalice of Christ is on display,
Alex, I think you mean the Chalice of DoƱa Urraca. If so, that is at the Basilica of San Isidoro in LeĆ³n. @Jenibee there is a museum attached and the chalice may be there. It used to be but sometime after the historians' book came out it was moved. It may be back now though. Also there is the Pantheon, the burial crypt of some royalty. It has been called the Sistine Chapel of the Romanesque. The museum was a top highlight of my camino. The blue text above are links to Wikipedia.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
Welcome @Jenibee. And besides the welcome I want to say that some private albergues have private rooms available. Don't automatically discount them.

Alex, I think you mean the Chalice of DoƱa Urraca. If so, that is at the Basilica of San Isidoro in LeĆ³n. @Jenibee there is a museum attached and the chalice may be there. It used to be but sometime after the historians' book came out it was moved. It may be back now though. Also there is the Pantheon, the burial crypt of some royalty. It has been called the Sistine Chapel of the Romanesque. The museum was a top highlight of my camino. The blue text above are links to Wikipedia.
No, the chalice is in a small church in Burgos but for the life of it i cannot remember the name! :-(

When you're on the top of Alto del Perdon (Mountain of Forgiveness) after Pamplona, you'll look into the Promised Land....

Do you feel like (female in their case) Moses? šŸ˜‚

Sorry, couldn't resist.

@alexwalker - MAN! not that we need any, but if ever there was a Camino salesman! šŸ‘

Welcome to the forum @Jenibee & @Shells
I strongly second @davebugg 's suggestion to look up American Pilgrims on Camino and see if you can find a local chapter. Technically I am just as you - never walked The Way and in hopes and preparations that I will be able to do it as planned. That said - last April I found my local Chapter (Philadelphia) and met up face-to-face with a bunch of totally wonderful folks who welcomed me (and my wife who is always sort of a 'reluctant participant' in any of my crazy endeavors) with open arms, smile...and couple of bottles of Rioja šŸ™
And we've done many training hikes since then, and some communal times (some of them can even cook a pretty mean paella) and they've been help and inspiration.
So, again - seek out your local chapter!

As to this forum - it simply speaks for itself!

šŸ’•

Do you feel like (female in their case) Moses? šŸ˜‚

Sorry, couldn't resist.

@alexwalker - MAN! not that we need any, but if ever there was a Camino salesman! šŸ‘

Welcome to the forum @Jenibee & @Shells
I strongly second @davebugg 's suggestion to look up American Pilgrims on Camino and see if you can find a local chapter. Technically I am just as you - never walked The Way and in hopes and preparations that I will be able to do it as planned. That said - last April I found my local Chapter (Philadelphia) and met up face-to-face with a bunch of totally wonderful folks who welcomed me (and my wife who is always sort of a 'reluctant participant' in any of my crazy endeavors) with open arms, smile...and couple of bottles of Rioja šŸ™
And we've done many training hikes since then, and some communal times (some of them can even cook a pretty mean paella) and they've been help and inspiration.
So, again - seek out your local chapter!

As to this forum - it simply speaks for itself!

šŸ’•
Get on the road and feel the change :cool:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-

2022 sounds about right for you and your husband.

As a total introvert, I can affirm everything you write here. One test of knowing whether the Camino is for you or not is whether you can survive NOT doing the Camino. If you can survive and thrive not doing it, by all means donā€™t do it. Iā€™ve walked the Camino Frances twice and for first-timers I highly recommend it. I think you guys will find the walking to be quite do-able. Itā€™s not an 800 km walk. Itā€™s 34 very do-able 20-30 km walks.Its much different than backcountry hiking but thatā€™s what makes it special. And yes, you can set your own schedule. My only advice is that on the Camino if you could let down your guard and walk with and get to know other pilgrims. I see some couples who are so focused on each other that they miss out on some of the best things. Have you seen the documentary ā€œSix ways to Santiagoā€ I recommend it!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Jenibee and Welcome to the Forum.

https://www.gronze.com/ is another source to use to plan your camno.
I usually book hotels, some albergues, rural houses, etc. with
booking.com

My suggestion is to not totally eliminate private albergues.. You would miss Albergue La Casa del Peregrino in El Acebo with a drop dead gorgeous view of the surrounding mountains and a beautiful swimmng pool.

It has very nice private rooms in the main casa and dorms in a separatespace. So here would work for you though you might might have to book two double rooms.

Most of the rooms in Spain along the camino will have either wood or tile floors so they will not absorb sound as much as rooms with carpet. So having ear plugs even in private rooms is a good idea.

In the past the CF can be crowded at high seasons. The last section Sarria to SdC is busy most of the year but requires reservations during Semana Santa (Holy Week) June, and September to early october. It can be quite crowded too at the start of the camino in SJPdP especially in late August and September, so do make reservations in advance for the start and at Roncevalles. Orisson has dorms so staying there would not be a possibility, but there is a shuttle service. You could start at SJPdP take the mountain shuttle have it return and pick you up, and then bring you back the next morning. See https://www.expressbourricot.com/persons-transport/. Many of us use a luggage service getting over this mountain. From Roncevalles you can send your packs using https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/services
They send packs from your accommodation to the next one and are available from April through October.

We are all joyful to see new, future pilgrims being called to The Way.
Buen Camino

Last edited:

This forum should provide most if not all of the information that you will need. I believe you will truly enjoy your camino. I know I did.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My only advice is that on the Camino if you could let down your guard and walk with and get to know other pilgrims. I see some couples who are so focused on each other that they miss out on some of the best things. Have you seen the documentary ā€œSix ways to Santiagoā€ I recommend it!

Thank you. Yes, we would definitely be very open to getting to know others along the journey. Even in our backcountry travels here in the US, we tend to make friends easily and enjoy the camaraderie of the like-minded folks we encounter who obviously thrive on outdoor experiences as we do. And yes, "Six Ways to Santiago" is the best thing I've seen thus far about the Camino. I even liked it more than I did "The Way." (Of course, one is a movie and the other a documentary, but "Six Ways" touched my heart profoundly.)

It is your Camino. It is your Camino........

You can go as far, fast or slow as you choose. Then you will arrive in Santiago. I too was ā€œcalled,ā€ Iā€™m so thankful I went.

Listen and trust.

People who are "thinking beings" and open-minded will often change during a Camino. It is something about the setting and surroundings, maybe.. And time to think.. What do I know.

Once, leaving Burgos (on the Camino Frances), I was approached by a small man, younger than me. He started talking, constantly. It was his first Camino. He had a lot of questions, so I was quite overwhelmed. He gave me his life-story, which was somewhat troubled, divorced and career hunting. Full package. I told him that when he arrived in Santiago, he would have changed and he would cry, because of the sorrow that the journey was over. He just looked at me and smiled.

3 weeks later we walked into Santiago together. In front of the Cathedral, we sat down (Me 2 metres behind) and watched the Cathedral, him sobbing for a long time. Then he turned to me and said: "When leaving Burgos, when you said I was going to cry at the end of the walk, I thought: What an idiot! But you were right: things have changed perspective during these weeks. I realize I have been an a..hole to my ex-wife & children; I need to go back and apologize. And I have to take better care of my younger brother who I was never kind to. I have many to ask forgiveness from.".

The Camino will give you what you need, not neccessarily what you want.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Back