• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Being called, once more

skilsaw

Veteran Member
I have walked the Frances, the VdlP and to Finisterre. I have been a hospitalero in Granon.
But today I started thinking of one more Camino.
I would like to do the Norte, and carry on to Muxia.

Since returning from my last Camino, I thought my pilgrimages were done. I have spent my retirement cycle touring and canoe camping. Last week, I thought my next ventures should be wilderness hiking here in Canada.

But I love Spain, the people, the wine...

Does this longing ever go away?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think not. At least for me. I too have walked the Francés, the VdlP (to Zamora) and to Finisterre. I returned Sunday from being a hospitalera in Grañón followed by 5 days walking from Burgos to Bercianos. Already I am ready to turn around and do it all over again. Being a hospitalera was a wonderful experience in what I consider the best albergue on the Francés. I hope to do it again and to finish the VdlP/Sanabrés...to walk the Aragonés...maybe the Norte...there are worst addictions:)!
Cheers,
LT

LT, you will really enjoy the Sanabres Camino. If I remember correctly, it is between 250 and 300 kms from Zamora to Santiago along the Sanabres route. About 10 days walk. I wouldn't do it too late in the year because it goes up and down small mountains and the way could be hard to find in a light snow, or very difficult to walk in heavy snow.

Glad you enjoyed being hospitalera in Granon. It being summer, were there ever more than 40 pilgrims? I looked in the albergue registry and there were nights with 55 to 60... pilgrims sleeping in the church sanctuary... I enjoyed preparing meals for 35 because we could have everyone sit down to dinner together. It would cease to be fun for me with more than 40 pilgrims.

I guess you are right. The longing gets in our blood, and never goes away. I will begin dreaming of the Norte after my canoe trip in August.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is actually 400+ km from Zamora to Santiago so I will need to calculate at least 14 days. And I am a summer walker so snow should not be an issue! I walked the Extrema...dura part last July and so will have cooler and greener scenery as of Zamora. I hope to continue on to Muxia and Finisterra. Who knows I may combine the walking with being a hospitalera somewhere along the VdlP.

Grañón was indeed busy during the first 2 weeks of July. On June 30th there were only about 27 pilgrims but during the following days this balloned to 40, 50 and 60+. But even though the numbers were high we ALWAYS ate together. Up to 50/55 was doable in the living/dinning room but otherwise we moved everything downstairs in the yard.

Enjoy your canoe trip and preparing for your next Camino, be that the Norte or another route.

LTfit,
Zamora to Santiago through Ourense was heavenly. It must have been 14 days, but with the sun and mountains it went by so fast...! You will be blessed.

Tomorrow I am riding my Koga Miyata World Traveller (the best trekking bike and from the Netherlands) along an old railway grade to see for the first time a trestle that has been restored for bicycles. I am feeling energetic. Good memories of adventures make me bouyant and want more.

Granon was an adventure. I was shocked the first time I saw the cook put three kilos of noodles in one big pot. But she knew what she was doing... and I learned. No matter how many for dinner, you rise to the occasion, God blesses it. The next best meal on the Camino was the garlic soup at San Juan de Ortega when the old priest was alive. Then there is dinner with the poor Brothers at Alcuescar on the VdlP...

Enjoy the Camino Sanabres,
David, Victoria, Canada

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Enjoy your biking tomorrow Skilsaw.

Cooking was indeed tricky at best, and the constant question every night was: "is there enough food?" Luckily there always was. I had a fellow hospitalera who was quite the cook, I ended up being the "salade lady" and taking care of the fruit salad for dessert although pelegrinos helped out every night with the chopping and slicing thank goodness!

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back