• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Being thankful

naplesdon

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Multiple Caminos 2010 to 2019
Here's wishing everyone on the Forum a wonderful Thanksgiving Day from my sunny winter home in Naples, Florida.
I am thankful for all of the friends I have made on the Camino over the past 7 years, for the experiences and lessons I have had walking many the different routes and above all the serenity the Camino has given me.
I reached a point last year where I was going to give up the long distance grind because of the painful neuropathy I have in my right foot and then I read The Great Westward Walk. It changed me and so I will be doing the Norte next year and that is really something to be thankful for.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for starting this conversation. Plenty of reasons to be thankful on my side, including two successful trips to Europe, Ireland and Spain, successful camino, great year in the markets meaning a good time to share with others. To all caminantes, Happy Thanksgiving y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

On this day when we celebrate pilgrims here in the U.S., many thanks to all the gracious, sharing pilgrims from around the world who come to this forum day after day, so generous in sharing you knowledge, insights, experience and support. Much to be thankful for!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am thankful for my shoes (my SHOES!), my hat, my skirt and my backpack. They kept on going right along side of me, and worked without fail.

I am thankful for the memory of the smell of crushed mint, wafting in the air as I walked along the side of the road.

I am thankful for the kindness of pilgrims and Spaniards; fruit from a tree, kindness and companionship, words of encouragement, and words of blessing.

I am thankful for my computer, the internet and connectivity. I can connect with those very same pilgrims, and continue to share and participate in this unique and beautiful community.

I am thankful for music. The recorded music that kept me dancing up hill and twirling my baton to the amusement of truck drivers; the music I sang aloud while walking; and the music my fellow pilgrims created with me, with guitars and sing alongs.

I am thankful for beauty. The heart filling beauty of fish in a river, rain falling, and the joy of architecture.

I am thankful for grace. Undeserved blessings.

I am thankful for my toes and fingers; my heart and lungs; the hair on my head; really all of my body and its everyday miracles.

I am thankful for family, friends, coworkers, and fellow members of my faith. For all the people that make up my community.

I am thankful for gratitude itself. For being able to remember and acknowledge the small and large things that make life worthwhile.

I'm thankful for successful chemo, so that I can plan/hope to walk the Camino again in April 2018. Every step will reflect my gratitude.
Hi Alice, you can be thankful for the successful chemo you had.
Wish you all the best and for next year a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino,Peter.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am sincerely thankful for life, for love and for precious memory.

...and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Ulysses,

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

I am sincerely thankful for life, for love and for precious memory.

...and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Ulysses,

Alfred, Lord Tennyson
You nailed the feeling for sure. Love you Meredith.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hola Don, yes a lot to be thankful for. I have always liked the idea of a national "Thanksgiving Day".
Might have to organise self to be in US of A next year to be able to experience TGD first hand!!

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Here's wishing everyone on the Forum a wonderful Thanksgiving Day from my sunny winter home in Naples, Florida.
I am thankful for all of the friends I have made on the Camino over the past 7 years, for the experiences and lessons I have had walking many the different routes and above all the serenity the Camino has given me.
I reached a point last year where I was going to give up the long distance grind because of the painful neuropathy I have in my right foot and then I read The Great Westward Walk. It changed me and so I will be doing the Norte next year and that is really something to be thankful for.

Don, you´ve brought a lot of sunshine to a lot of peoples´lives. I am thankful for YOU!
We´ll miss you out on the Ditch Pig trail.

:)
Happy Thanksgiving day @biarritzdon and to all Americans on this forum :):):)

So many things to be thankful for on this Thanksgiving Day. One, in particular, I'd like to acknowledge since @biarritzdon brought it up - Thank you @Rebekah Scott for that wonderful job of translating The Great Westward Walk. Thank you for the opportunity of getting to know and learn from Antxon González Gabarain "Bolitx".

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The north way is a wonderful walk!!! You will really enjoy!!!!! The way always provides!!!
Buen Camino!!!

...I reached a point last year where I was going to give up the long distance grind because of the painful neuropathy I have in my right foot and then I read The Great Westward Walk. It changed me and so I will be doing the Norte next year and that is really something to be thankful for.
...good for you, biarritzdon! Ultreia...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don, you´ve brought a lot of sunshine to a lot of peoples´lives. I am thankful for YOU!
We´ll miss you out on the Ditch Pig trail.
Thank you for your thoughts Reb, I will certainly miss the clean up this year. I am thankful for YOU and everything you and Paddy have brought to the Camino and our Camino family.

I am thankful for the positive transformation my going through cancer 8 yrs ago has been, to a life of being thankful every day of the year.
This year the consultants at the hospital said I was wasting their time (!), tongue in cheek, as I was getting fitter & fitter for every visit through the years, and the thruth is my walking clock the last 5 yrs alone has now ticked 9ooo km.
- this is walking home from night shift on a slight frosty, misty morning !

See you down the road apiece !

frosty morning.jpg

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am thankful that I have a beautiful home in Oregon, with a great guy here, a daughter, a grandson, and all the pets---and this year, a new puppy who is nestled by me.

For sure, I'm thankful that I made my Camino a few months back, and got to enjoy beautiful time in France, especially. I'm also so glad that I got to experience Pamplona again, and the walk from Pamplona to Burgos. Despite the health issue that cropped up, I had beautiful weather, and the scenery with orange and yellow leaves was stunning.

My wrist surgery has gone well. Surgery was three weeks and four days ago, and I can type a bit. Not a lot, a bit. Cast is off, brace is on, and every day is better!

I'm thankful that I was able to drive my husband to his mother's bedside just fifteen hours post-surgery. I came off pain meds early, as I anticipated it. I'm so thankful for my intuition, which I've respected for four decades. It hasn't failed me yet.

And last, I have to say that I'm thankful for and grateful for my online pilgrim friends, every last one of you. Biarritzdon, you are the epitome of the pilgrim spirit, and I am glad to know you.

I am thankful I have a wife who, while worrying about my safety and health, allows me to pursue this camino dream of mine time after time. Thank you Patti! Much love after 25 years.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back