• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Belorado to maybe Sarria: itinerary ideas?

Lhollo

Time of past OR future Camino
CF pt2, Belorado to Sarria, May 21 – June 12, 2022
Hello again fellow pilgrims!

I’ve now booked flights to resume our Camino 😃

I need to prebook private rooms because of health issues, so we have to plan around this. What do you think of the below itinerary, and how would you finish it off, given the extra days we have to play with?

Extra nights at the end, in Madrid maybe… and perhaps somewhere else? We loved our rest day in Estella: not too big, lovely river, wildlife. Something similar would be good.

Not sure about Hontanas vs Hornillos del Camino, out of Burgos. I can’t find good private rooms in Hornillos.

In terms of fitness, we’re pretty good walkers.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance! 🙏

1. Sat 21st May: Arrive Madrid, bus or train to Burgos, bus or transfer to Belorado
  2. Sun 22nd May: Agés: 27.4km, 17 miles
  3. Mon 23rd May: Burgos: 23km, 14.3 miles
  4. Tues 24th May: Hornillos del Camino: 21km, 13 miles
  5. Weds 25th May: Castrojeriz: 19.9km, 12 miles
  6. Thur 26th May: Frómista: 24.7km, 15 miles
  7. Fri 27th May: Carrión de los Condes: 18.8km, 11.7 miles
  8. Sat 28th May: Terradillos de Los Templarios: 26.3km, 16 miles
  9. Sun 29th May: Bercianos del Real Camino: 23.2km, 14 miles
  10. Mon 30th May: Mancilla de las Mulas: 26.3km, 16 miles
  11. Tues 31st May: León: 18.5km, 11.5 miles
  12. Weds 1st June: Rest day, Leon
  13. Thur 2nd June: San Martín del Camino: 24.6km, 15.3 miles
  14. Fri 3rd June: Astorga: 23.7km, 14.7 miles
  15. Sat 4th June: Foncebadón: 25.8km, 16 miles
  16. Sun 5th June: Ponferrada: 26.8km, 16.6 miles
  17. Mon 6th June: Villafranca: 24.2km, 15 miles
  18. Tues 7th June: O’Cebreiro
  19. Weds 8th June: Triacastela
  20. Thur 9th June: Sarria
  21. Fri 10th June: ????
  22. Sat 11th June: Train to Madrid
  23. Sun 12th June: Fly home

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Stage 13 might be inclined to go to Orbigo, St, Martin poor in my opinion.

I stayed in private rooms in Hontanas, think it was the Casa Rural hotel. I loved it in Hontanas, small but pretty village with a fab little restaurant and lovely bars to sit outside. It has a really lovely church, went to a mass there which was lovely. A very friendly place and I would definitely stay there again, preferred it to Hornillos.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I stayed in private rooms in Hontanas, think it was the Casa Rural hotel. I loved it in Hontanas, small but pretty village with a fab little restaurant and lovely bars to sit outside. It has a really lovely church, went to a mass there which was lovely. A very friendly place and I would definitely stay there again, preferred it to Hornillos.
Thank you for this 🙏 How did you find the long walk from Burgos?

Spring is a lovely time to be in the Meseta but you have scheduled a few "killer days" distance-wise in my opinion, especially if you run into rain, blisters, etc. however you are alot younger than me (I'm 76) I have covered this route many, many times over the past 10 years.
Fortunately there is public transit, albeit, a little circuitous to get from some of your Point A's to Point "B's." BTW I am a foodie so I spend lots of time enjoying the Menu del Dia in many of these Meseta towns by ending my walk around one.
As far as Hornillos, I believe the son of Emilio Estaves married a gal from Spain after they did the movie and they have a hostel near Hornillos.

Spring is a lovely time to be in the Meseta but you have scheduled a few "killer days" distance-wise in my opinion, especially if you run into rain, blisters, etc. however you are alot younger than me (I'm 76) I have covered this route many, many times over the past 10 years.
Fortunately there is public transit, albeit, a little circuitous to get from some of your Point A's to Point "B's." BTW I am a foodie so I spend lots of time enjoying the Menu del Dia in many of these Meseta towns by ending my walk around one.
As far as Hornillos, I believe the son of Emilio Estaves married a gal from Spain after they did the movie and they have a hostel near Hornillos.
Thank you for this! That’s very interesting about Emilio Estévez and the hostal near Hornillos. Which do you think are the killer days in particular?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Foncebaden to Ponferrada is a bit tough. It is a long slow day of picking your way carefully down a rocky mountainside, not falling over (I saw people who lost skin from falling over) or rolling an ankle. With the terrain this will make a tough day unless you like that kind of walking. You have to watch your feet most of the time so you have to stop and look out occasionally. I believe some people dont mind this stretch (I've never met anyone who enjoyed it but I believe they exist).
Its fine from Molineseca (which is a lovely town). You might also like some time in Ponferrada to explore the castle.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for this! That’s very interesting about Emilio Estévez and the hostal near Hornillos. Which do you think are the killer days in particular?
As I said in my post, you are a lot younger than me, but I think stringing several 25+km days together gets complicated without a rest day or some shorter days, especially if you run into rain or other impediments. Example, I started out early one morning in Rabanal in a light rain which turned into a torrential downpour on the other side of the hill after Cruz de Ferro. As I was walking down the rocky descent described in Anamiri's post, the path turned into a river and I could no longer see my feet under me, at that point I had to seek shelter in El Acebo. The next morning there was still rain and I stopped in Molinseca for breakfast, fell in love with the town and took a rest day. In other words I turned one day of my pre-planned walk into to two+ days.

As I said in my post, you are a lot younger than me, but I think stringing several 25+km days together gets complicated without a rest day or some shorter days, especially if you run into rain or other impediments. Example, I started out early one morning in Rabanal in a light rain which turned into a torrential downpour on the other side of the hill after Cruz de Ferro. As I was walking down the rocky descent described in Anamiri's post, the path turned into a river and I could no longer see my feet under me, at that point I had to seek shelter in El Acebo. The next morning there was still rain and I stopped in Molinseca for breakfast, fell in love with the town and took a rest day. In other words I turned one day of my pre-planned walk into to two+ days.
I see, thank you. It’ll be June when we hit that area so I have my fingers crossed for no rain although I know it can always happen (All-night summer storm in Santo Domingo, I’m thinking of you).

I’m looking at a rest day in Ponferrada at the moment so that may provide a sensible cushion in case of difficulties like those you had. I’m also considering Villafranca for a rest day, because we enjoy smaller towns with rivers and wildlife, albeit at least some facilities are helpful. Plus it could help before the O’Cebreiro day. I’m inclined towards Ponferrada though.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'll let someone else chime in on Ponferrada v. Villafranca. In the past I have done a short day in Cacabelos and stayed a Moncloa de San Lazaro, it is three star hotel and has a wonderful restaurant and patio. The Templar Castle (check the hours when it is open) in Ponferrada is interesting but can be visited before going onto Cacabelos.

If you stop in Villafranca del Bierzo and you wish a bit of private comfort and/or a very good reasonably priced meal with delicious local wine do stop at the Hostal de la Puerta del Perdon. Located on the CF opposite the castle it is a VERY comfortable stop especially on cold winter nights!

Last edited:
I see, thank you. It’ll be June when we hit that area so I have my fingers crossed for no rain although I know it can always happen (All-night summer storm in Santo Domingo, I’m thinking of you).

I’m looking at a rest day in Ponferrada at the moment so that may provide a sensible cushion in case of difficulties like those you had. I’m also considering Villafranca for a rest day, because we enjoy smaller towns with rivers and wildlife, albeit at least some facilities are helpful. Plus it could help before the O’Cebreiro day. I’m inclined towards Ponferrada though.
This is just a personal opinion of course, but apart from the castle I thought Molineseca was nicer than Ponferrada. It has a beautiful river area, and a quaint town.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I restarted my walk from Belorado this evening. I live in southern Spain and arrived by train and bus about 6.30 pm and walked about 7 kms to Villambistia. Staying in a wonderful Casa Rural, Casa de Los Deseos. So only have a short day tomorrow whilst I build up my stamina. Your first day looks quite long. Do take a look at the direct bus from Madrid to Belorado with no need to go via Burgos. Sorry didn’t see your ring!

“direct bus from Madrid to Belorado”…. THIS EXISTS! Thank you! We might be cutting it fine from our plane but I’ll definitely look into it (flight lands 13:45. From Rome to Rio I’m seeing that the bus to Belorado leaves once a day at 15:00 and is a taxi or train to the bus station. The Burgos bus is more frequent and leaves from the airport. But it would be better if we could make the one you’ve suggested.

Thank you so much for remembering about my ring!

I hope your Camino is everything you hope for and more. Buen Camino 🥾

In the last stage to Burgos make sure you turn left after the autopista and go south of the airport to take the river path into the city. The original way is apparently brutal through the industrial outskirts. Then Burgos to Hontanas is very doable. Take great care coming down the very rocky trail into Molinesca and if its raining heavily it will become a stream and you may want to take the road. However it is very twisty and you need to be very much alert and walk against the traffic - as I am sure you would!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
How about spending most of the day in Burgos (plenty to see), then in the late afternoon wander to Rabe de las Calzadas? Makes a nice distance to Hontanas the next day.

How about spending most of the day in Burgos (plenty to see), then in the late afternoon wander to Rabe de las Calzadas? Makes a nice distance to Hontanas the next day.
😃 I can’t wait to get out of Burgos! We had a day there last week and besides the river area, and obviously the cathedral, it’s not my favourite place. I’m actually considering walking right through it so your Rabe de las Calzadas idea might work well! I know my Burgos experience isn’t that of many people. I do feel we’ve seen most of the best parts now though

Can anyone tell me more about Villafranca?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Can anyone tell me more about Villafranca?

It's a nice little town with several places to have some good tapas and good meals.

I stayed at the Hotel Posada Plaza which is a really nice hotel, but there was some noise in the evening/night from the bars on the plaza.

Villafranca.jpg

First of all a stop in Burgos for their Morcilla makes it all worthwhile. The local recipe is world famous, they claim it is because of the rice and special onions they use.
Rather than a stop in Rabe, too many grumpy old people there IMHO although I do like going to the vespers at the retirement home for the nuns, there are now 2 fairly new places in Tarjados, one is an old factory called La Fabrica and the other is Casa de Beli both have nice courtyards, clean private rooms and good food.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Villafranca del Bierzo is a lovely place, I stayed at Guesthouse Casa Rural La Llave, they left me a bag with some food for breakfast as I told them I would be leaving early. There are a number of really good cafes/restaurants in the plaza, spent a good few hours there in the evening eating, drinking, and watching the world go by. I set off early as the walk to O'Cebreiro at over 20 miles and over 3,500 feet of ascent would not be an easy day especially as the climbing was all at the end of the day. However the destination was one of my favourite places to stop, my accommodation was at Venta Celta.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Whilst my plan was to stay at Hornillos del Camino like you I couldn't find accommodation but I stayed at Hotel Rural La Consulta de Isar. It is only about 2k up the road on the right about 300 meters before Hornillos del Camino. I walked to the accommodation although they are happy to pick you up and return you after breakfast. Very nice accommodation and evening meal, they have a small bar where the locals were having a quiet drink when I got there. One of them insisted that he get up and let me sit down - didn't realise I looked that bad! I tried to decline but he wouldn't take no for an answer.

This is just a personal opinion of course, but apart from the castle I thought Molineseca was nicer than Ponferrada. It has a beautiful river area, and a quaint town.
I’ve been looking into this and Molinaseca is actually the ‘place-with-no-name’ I’d flagged up from videos as a possible lovely rest day spot. But… it’d make the next day, to Villafranca, 31.9km, and after that we’d have the O’Cebreiro day which I know is tough. So I still feel stuck 🤔

Whilst I stayed at Ponferrada and enjoyed it the walk from Molinaseca to Ponferrada, from memory, is only about 4 miles - 2 miles gently up and 2 miles gently down all on a footpath beside the road! Your next day to Villafranca whilst it would add up to c. 20 miles it is relatively flat or perhaps "gently undulating" although there is not much shade so I know that I was quite tired at the end from the heat rather than the distance/ascent.
It may make sense however to stop at Molinascera as the previous day was, in my opinion, quite a stretch although I stayed a bit further away at Rabanal del Camino the previous night rather than Foncebadón. Also, the descent from Cruz de Ferro is not the easiest!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I need to prebook private rooms because of health issues, so we have to plan around this. What do you think of the below itinerary, and how would you finish it off, given the extra days we have to play with?

Extra nights at the end, in Madrid maybe… and perhaps somewhere else? We loved our rest day in Estella: not too big, lovely river, wildlife. Something similar would be good.

Not sure about Hontanas vs Hornillos del Camino, out of Burgos. I can’t find good private rooms in Hornillos.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance! 🙏

1. Sat 21st May: Arrive Madrid, bus or train to Burgos, bus or transfer to Belorado
Was your plan to walk to Sarria, and return at a later date to walk the last 100kms?

If this is the case I would use those extra days, and incorporate Samos into the walk. I love Samos, the first glimpse of the monastery through the gap in the wall at the top of the hill is always breathtaking.

Last time we walked (2019) they were creating a path out of Triacastela, so that you didnt have to walk on the shoulder of the road for the first few kms out of the town - much more pleasant and safer. Once you turn off the road the walk is through tiny rural villages. As it is the path less taken its so quiet and magical - like the land time forgot. The first time I walked a tiny lamb ran out of a barn to me, followed by a frantic woman.
And it makes the walk into Sarria sooo much nicer than from Triacastela. (take the rural path option not the road)
I also enjoyed staying in Fonfria, you get the dinner in the round house and the magic of the morning mist in the silent countryside the next day as you walk down into Triacastela. (Alto do Poio wasnt such a nice option).

Its just a personal thing for me, but I like to experience as much of rural Galicia as possible before Sarria, as it gets so busy after that.

Was your plan to walk to Sarria, and return at a later date to walk the last 100kms?

If this is the case I would use those extra days, and incorporate Samos into the walk. I love Samos, the first glimpse of the monastery through the gap in the wall at the top of the hill is always breathtaking.

Last time we walked (2019) they were creating a path out of Triacastela, so that you didnt have to walk on the shoulder of the road for the first few kms out of the town - much more pleasant and safer. Once you turn off the road the walk is through tiny rural villages. As it is the path less taken its so quiet and magical - like the land time forgot. The first time I walked a tiny lamb ran out of a barn to me, followed by a frantic woman.
And it makes the walk into Sarria sooo much nicer than from Triacastela. (take the rural path option not the road)
I also enjoyed staying in Fonfria, you get the dinner in the round house and the magic of the morning mist in the silent countryside the next day as you walk down into Triacastela. (Alto do Poio wasnt such a nice option).

Its just a personal thing for me, but I like to experience as much of rural Galicia as possible before Sarria, as it gets so busy after that.
Yes, that is our plan, although it's partly because it fits the maximum time we can get off work, as well as providing a neat way of returning to do the last 100km. I like the idea of both Samos and having another rest day! More time in rustic Galicia certainly appeals, but I suspect we might need the before O'Cebreiro. I'm currently totally unable to decide so am waiting for fate/time to take the next move.

Does anyone have thoughts on whether, and where, to stay in O’Cebreiro? Booking.com has nothing for it (yet) on my dates, and I’m reading poor recent reviews of most places there (mouldy food, damp sheets… hard to ignore).

I’ve now booked several sections. Still to decide on options after Belorado then through the meseta (Agés/Atapuerca/Tardajos/Hornillos/Hontanas dilemma, etc).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Try Venta-celta, I stayed there and enjoyed the experience although the room was a bit small but the location was worth this small issue. Good food as well in front of the open fire.

Try Venta-celta, I stayed there and enjoyed the experience although the room was a bit small but the location was worth this small issue. Good food as well in front of the open fire.

It’s not currently available. I was looking at Hostal Méson Antón as an alternative, and the only other I could see was Hotel O’Cebreiro. I read someone saying they thought O’Cebreiro like Disneyland, and advising people to stay… somewhere other?

Last edited:
Not sure about other people's comments but it is a very small hamlet that I loved in the mountains. Some people I met had tried to book it online when I walked it in 2019 but it said no places available. At my suggestion, they phoned and got 3 places. So you could try phoning if you can find their number. Perhaps they aren't sure about what will be happening in June next year but they may take a provisional booking. Edit: Just found the phone number 0034-667-553006.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’ve now sorted out O’Cebreiro 😃 Thanks for helping.

All that’s left is Belorado to León, and I’m very undecided re length of days (30km for two days from day one = a bit much?) vs pleasant sections and overnight locations.

I’m tempted by Atapuerca to Tardajos to Hontanas then a super short day/bit of a rest to Castrojeriz 🤔. But San Juan de Ortega to Burgos to Hornillas = much easier?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance! 🙏

Try to get a ticket in PLM. I´m not sure but I think you can get a bus at the airport to Pamplona. The route is Madrid-Burgos-Logroño-Pamplona. It pass by Belorado but I don´t know if the bus stops there. If is a direct line to Logroño You must step down the bus and take a line of Autobuses Jimenez to Logroño, This line stops at he villages. You can ask the driver, both companies belongs to the same group of transports.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance! 🙏

PLM has a direct line from the airport Madrid-Burgos-Logroño-Pamplona. It pass by Belorado but I dont Know if it stops there. If it doesn´t stop you must get down in Burgos and take the line from Burgos to Logroño tat stops at all the villages. The operator is AUTOBUSES JIMENEZ.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
PLM has a direct line from the airport Madrid-Burgos-Logroño-Pamplona. It pass by Belorado but I dont Know if it stops there. If it doesn´t stop you must get down in Burgos and take the line from Burgos to Logroño tat stops at all the villages. The operator is AUTOBUSES JIMENEZ.
Thanks. I got the Jimenez bus from Belorado to Burgos last week and know it goes to Logroño in the opposite direction, so what your saying makes sense to me. Thanks 🙏

It’s not currently available. I was looking at Hostal Méson Antón as an alternative, and the only other I could see was Hotel O’Cebreiro. I read someone saying they thought O’Cebreiro like Disneyland, and advising people to stay… somewhere other?
I always love to stay in O,Cebreiro for the ambience. I have stayed a couple of times in Meson Anton which was good but last time in Venta Celta in a little attic room up a twisty ,wooden staircase . Wonderful food and blazing fire.

Hostal La Fuente de Rabé in Rabé de las Calzadas was one of my best stays when I walked Pamplona to Sahagún earlier this month -- completely recommend! The whole family was lovely and the room was great. Breakfast was included, and they put out the full spread even though I was the only guest, which seemed over the top but very sweet!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.