• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Belorado

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I found that how busy a town was a week or even a day before doesn't have a lot of bearing on how busy it will be the day that I arrive. I remember one place I stayed at where the hospitalero told me that they had been completo early the day before, and then the day that I was there I had an eight bed dorm room all to myself!

I'am here now .Booked in a hotel after a hard day .
I'ts not that busy but you wil find it out when you arrive here.

Buen Camino , Peter .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sitting in Casa Carmen with a couple of Albergue top bunks open but rooms are full (by the people who belong to the sent-ahead suitcases:rolleyes:)

Sitting in Casa Carmen with a couple of Albergue top bunks open but rooms are full (by the people who belong to the sent-ahead suitcases:rolleyes:)

Just curious. We are now at Najera and most of the Spanish pilgrims we have met, belong to the 'sent ahead suitcase' set.

Why do we carry loaded backpacks? :oops::oops:

They must look at us and wonder....

I’m part of the ‘ send ahead suitcase set’ and am not a Spanish pilgrim. Started off loaded and took some advice from a couple in Estelle, now enjoying the pilgrimage 100% more, unburdened. :):)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's a personal choice. To me, if I am capable of carrying my own pack, it's part of the journey. It's the Camino.....not a vacation. To send my pack ahead (which I HAVE done when I was injured) would make the experience less spiritually meaningful. To me. That's why I carry my pack.

Just curious. We are now at Najera and most of the Spanish pilgrims we have met, belong to the 'sent ahead suitcase' set.

It's what we do. It belongs to the job .;)

Wish you both well , Peter .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I carry my backpack because I'm too cheap to send it ahead. Even 5 euros a day adds up. I could have two glasses of wine for 5 euros. Besides an important part of the Camino for me is finding how little I really need.

Last edited:
I carry my backpack because I'm too cheap to send it ahead. Even 5 euros a day adds up. I could have two glasses of wine for 5 euros. Besides an important part of the Camino for me is finding how little I really need.
I think finding how little you need is without a doubt is paramount. At least it is for me. As I prepare for my 4th Camino this September I know how difficult it hs been for me to apply the lessons I learn on the Camino to my everyday Camino life. The one thing I have learned is what my daughter told me when she just returned from a year of backpacking the world and 2 weeks before I left for my first Camino. I have your love and mom’s love and the love of my sister and best friends. all I need is what I can fit in my backpack, nothing else.The rest is just bullshit. I needed to walk and learn how true and wise that is. Just like when your pack is to heavy with things you want not with only the things you need, the Camino can become almost impossible. In life all the material things you accumulate event just drags you down and makes you tired and far less happy and spiritually desolate. There is no room or time for anything else but justifying your materialism.

And btw, this morning at Casa Carmen 2 Pilgrims woke up with bed bug bites!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

My Spanish walking mate early in my Camino, kept encouraging me to send my pack forward. I started doing so when the achy hips began causing me sleepless nights, and then stopped again when I felt I could handle the flats of the Meseta. Now I have a shin splint, and will again forward a portion of my pack. For 4-5€ a day, it could save your Camino from an injury that could end your walk. So humble yourself as needed to offload some weight. Our bodies really aren’t designed for this much daily walking—AND the couriers do a great job—spread a little of the money you’re saving around!!

And btw, this morning at Casa Carmen 2 Pilgrims woke up with bed bug bites!
It looks like you did the Camino right around the same time I'd like to do it (Starting in mid April for me from SJPDP). How was the weather, temps? and how crowded was the Camino bed wise? Thank you for any response you can give!

Very. Found a Private room at 1:30 after being told "completo" on several occasions.
It looks like you did the Camino right around the same time I'd like to do it (Starting in mid April for me from SJPDP). How was the weather, temps? and how crowded was the Camino bed wise? Thank you for any response you can give?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’m part of the ‘ send ahead suitcase set’ and am not a Spanish pilgrim. Started off loaded and took some advice from a couple in Estelle, now enjoying the pilgrimage 100% more, unburdened. :):)
It looks like you did the Camino Frances right around the same time I'd like to do it (Starting in mid April for me from SJPDP). How was the weather, temps? and how crowded was the Camino bed wise? Thank you for any response you can give?

It looks like you did the Camino right around the same time I'd like to do it (Starting in mid April for me from SJPDP). How was the weather, temps? and how crowded was the Camino bed wise? Thank you for any response you can give?
Other than a cold, foggy, rainy, windy trip across the Pyrenees on the Napoleon route, the weather was fabulous for the most part. Bed-wise the Camino was very crowded, from SJPD all the way to Santiago. When we got to Roncesvalle we snagged the last two available beds in the entire compound (thanks be to God!) A word of caution with regards to putting any weight on our experience: We went in 2018, and are certain that experiences in 2020-2022 are going to be remarkably different from those in 2018. Now for a word of encouragement: Make "your" Camino when you have the opportunity. It will be life-changing. Bad weather, crowds, and all.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I hope you have a wonderful Camino. It was a great trip for us. The year we went there was an extreme amount of rain and it was cold. But it was an aberration. I don't think they had ever seen so much rain! We became very familiar with the orange-ish mud and to dry out boots and clothes - newspapers and heaters. I was very happy to have brought a pair of rain pants My husband was fine without them. We did rain jackets and the rain covers for the backpacks which worked well for us rather than ponchos. In any case, it was still wonderful and those sunny, warm days were all the brighter (and there were many). As far as crowds and beds we had no problems. As time went on and we got closer to Santiago we got in the habit of calling ahead the night before or even during the day if we had any worries, but never had a problem.

Just thinking about our days on the camino brings a smile to my heart. Buen Camino!

I just read the reply above and find it hilarious that we were there at the same time. See, each person has their own camino and we were probably a day or two apart from each other :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back