• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

belt pack or sling front pack?

Time of past OR future Camino
See Signature
I was planning on taking a pack that straps around my waist and sits in front for "on the go items", important papers, money, maps, etc. However, I found a front sling pack that has much more room and feels more comfortable, and I have been able to drop over a pound from my backpack by choosing this style. What type of front bag do people use? I see 'belt wallet' on a lot of packing lists, but wonder what other peoples experiences are with these bags.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Historically I used a MEC waist belt for years, even carrying my nikon d70 camera in it, until it finally bit the dust last year. I have replaced with a large but less useful waist belt from Mountain Gear which is already shows signs of falling apart. So it might be going back to MEC for a refund.

My other half this year will do much the same as you, carrying a small sling bag in front of her. However she plans to belt it to her waist so it does not go accidental missing or simple fall off. Otherwise in the evenings she will carry it like a purse, so overall it seems to be a versatile solution.

This is good to hear. It is very versatile and the belt pack was crammed with my documents and not doing me a whole lot if good. The sling can hold everything and even has a mesh pocket for a water bottle, which means even less weight on my back!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Consider that you are casting aside ounces to keep weight down, yet intend to take an entirely separate carrying device! Surely there is space somewhere in your pack for the items going in the sling, and all you have to do is take off your pack to get to them. Leaving the sling behind may cause to take breaks that you should be taking anyway!

Save the weight???:confused:

My map book and guide even fits nicely in there which saved almost a pound in my backpack!
Hi Tammy, thanks for the information. What is the name/brand of your front sling pack? I am trying to look up "front sling pack." I got so many items that I don't know how to narrow it down to one that I can wear with my backpack. BTW, I live in the U.S. I have access to Amazon, REI, etc... Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My backpack doesn't have an accessible bottle holder and so I bought a "bumbag" for this purpose to carry around the front. It didn't even last 5 minutes. I hated having something in front of me as I was already restricted in movement (somewhat) from carrying a backpack, to have something at the front as well was just too much. Water was the only thing I wanted handy. My camera clipped onto my pack harness belt, my lip balm and tissues were in my pocket. I'm not sure what else you'd want handy while you are walking. You certainly do not need to read your guidebook with such regularity as to warrant it being to hand. So if you do decide you really must carry one, train with it and see that it's comfortable and not a waste like mine was when I bought it.

Hi Tammy, thanks for the information. What is the name/brand of your front sling pack? I am trying to look up "front sling pack." I got so many items that I don't know how to narrow it down to one that I can wear with my backpack. BTW, I live in the U.S. I have access to Amazon, REI, etc... Buen Camino!
Just to clarify, I had meant to say that when I googled "sling bags," I got so many SLING BAGS that I don't know how to narrow it down to a one that I can wear with my backpack... I plan to use it mainly for carrying food, camera, wallet, water, and passport while walking. I had a fanny pack that I kept in front when I walked the Camino Frances. It was not large enough to keep my food (bread, yogurt etc...) on the trail.

I got mine at REI and it's a Patagonia lightweight sling. Try this link: http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/product/853837/patagonia-lightweight-travel-sling
Hope this helps! I really like mine!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks Tammy. Very light and just what I was looking for. Ordered mine a few minutes ago from REI. FYI U.S. buyers: I was surprised to find out that this item is cheaper from REI than Amazon! Buen Camino

The sling bag looks useful, but I wouldn't want any extra straps across my back, and wouldn't it bounce against your chest as you walk - if so, I think I would find this very annoying.

I carried what we Brits refer to as a bum bag and others call a fanny pack. It was an item I already possessed and had used on another travel adventure. It was comfortable to wear, I wasn't aware of the weight and it carried useful and essential items, always to hand (phone, cash and debit card, passport, credential, lip balm, pain killers, ear phones, sunglasses, tissues, etc). Being made of leather it was not waterproof and had to be tucked under my jacket in the rain, but I would buy a new one, more fit for purpose, for my next camino. I sewed on a secondary safety clasp in case the buckle failed and attached clips so that I could hang my mini iPad from the belt so it was always to hand to use as a camera. The bum bag and all my valuables would stay in place when I removed my pack so I was never anxious about my valuables, and it was easy to take with me in the evenings or to the shower and the loo. This system worked perfectly for me and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

I also use the bum bag on my frequent flights between the UK and Spain - my carry on case has no external pockets and so I can keep all essential items on my person without seeming to be carrying a forbidden hand bag. I have never been challenged by the Ryanair or Easyjet gate personnel, even though I no longer make the effort to hide it under a jumper or coat.

My daughters consider it to be the last word in bad taste and hate to see me using it, but although I am all for 'keeping up appearances', at my age practicality sometimes has to take precedence!

........Camino Frances with my daughter - http://magwood.wordpress.com

Last edited:
All the front pocket space you could possibly need, and it is lightweight as packs go. The Aarn backpacks:

FFside2012_000.jpeg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I know you already ordered your sling bag from REI (a reasonable choice) but here is something that others might find appropriate. I did. http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/backpack_lid.shtml The bag is made of an ultra-lightweight, water proof (but not immersible) material.

The attachment points allow it to be fitted to ANY rucksack. Mine (in grey) is fitted to my Osprey Talon 48L rucksack (green and grey). The upper attachment fixes to the sewn, upper mount for the shoulder straps. I used thick (@ 4 mm - 1/8") grey bungee women's hair scrungie bands (the tiny bungee bands women use to pull hair back) to create lower attachment points to the lower shoulder straps. The bag quickly removes from the chest position by way of four side snaps - the same as a sternum belt, but smaller 5/8 inches I think. For a quick stop, simply open the two snaps on one side. The pack remains attached.

The straps provided allow you to attach the bag to the waist belt if you chose. Every bag is different. Some might use a carabiner, or simply tie it on with 550 cord or a short nylon shoelace. But, I was going for a lightweight, functional, color-coordinated chest bag. My solution works for me. The ZPacks chest pack is very flexible in that regard.

Also, the included removable 3/4" - 20 mm shoulder strap converts the bag to a shoulder bag or a waist bag / bum bag / fanny pack.

Oh, and by the way, the ZPacks Chest rig weighs VIRTUALLY NOTHING...LOL! But truly, it is extremely lightweight. I weighed it. The straps and buckles weigh more than the bag.

On a related and very important note, I learned from several New Zealand members of my April-May 2013 "Camino Family" that their AARN rucksacks are superior to most others in that they redistribute enough weight from the rucksack; your back, shoulders and hips to the front of your torso to change the overall geometry of your body while walking. It sounds counter-intuitive and it took me several days of experimenting to work it out.

However, when I shifted my 4 - 500 ml water bottles on my special inox (stainless) clips to the chest strap and waist belt from the side rucksack pockets two things happened. First, I could actually access my water bottles without help or removing the rucksaack; and second, moving a combined just 2 kg of weight (about 4 pounds) it made a HUGE difference in overall rucksack comfort and resultant back or shoulder issues by the end of a day.

BTW, the special stainless (inox) clips I used will convert ANY standard 500 ml, 1 or 1.5 liter bottle to a recyclable "Camino" water bottle. They can be obtained here: http://www.niteize.com/product/Drink-N-Clip.asp This firm makes all kinds of lightweight gadgets that may be helpful on Camino. I also used their tiny LED torch with the bendy stick handle and it worked great in alburges at night. Many outdoors shops carry some of the NiteIze product line, but I have not yet found a shop that carried all of it.

Oh, I added a silicone, plumbing "O" ring to the neck of the water bottle and holding the clip in place against the bottle to make certain the clip remains in place no matter what - period - and it works. After trial and error, I learned that the #18 sized O-Ring worked best for both U.S. and European sized bottle necks. This O-Ring measures 1 3/16" O.D. x 15/16" I.D. (to you metric folks that is 30 mm outer diameter x 24 mm inner diameter).

I hope this helps.

Buen Camino

Tom (from Virginia)

Front pack.jpg Buen Camino

Tom (from Virginia)[/quote]
I know you already ordered your sling bag from REI (a reasonable choice) but here is something that others might find appropriate. I did. http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/backpack_lid.shtml The bag is made of an ultra-lightweight, water proof (but not immersible) material.

The attachment points allow it to be fitted to ANY rucksack. Mine (in grey) is fitted to my Osprey Talon 48L rucksack (green and grey). The upper attachment fixes to the sewn, upper mount for the shoulder straps. I used thick (@ 4 mm - 1/8") grey bungee women's hair scrungie bands (the tiny bungee bands women use to pull hair back) to create lower attachment points to the lower shoulder straps. The bag quickly removes from the chest position by way of four side snaps - the same as a sternum belt, but smaller 5/8 inches I think. For a quick stop, simply open the two snaps on one side. The pack remains attached.

Tom (from Virginia)
Hi Tom, very helpful information. I will try out the Patagonia Travel Sling bag when it arrives. If it does not doFront pack.jpg what I had in mind, I'll try "your" bag. I especially like the "chest" position (I'm attaching a photo for others to see). Thanks!

Scottvest.jpg Scottvest_Inside.jpg I plan on using a Scott's travel vest; has various pockets built inside still very comfortable. Has room for my documents, small water bottle, camera, phone, Kindle, etc.. and is water-repellent, not proof. The only thing I don' t like is the collar, which does not wick the sweat away. But there are easy workarounds for that (Buff or bandana). Also has nifty way to hide, secure any wiring for phones, etc.

those ones looks huge. I brought a mini, all I really need it for is my nuts, my money, my paper, my phone and maybe a choclate bar...

I think mine was maybe even smaller than this one, but similar concept...

mini-sling-bag-canvas-satchel-bag-black-coffee.jpg

Pieces:

While your choice of bag is a stylish one, it may have the following problems: cotton canvas is relatively heavy, when it gets wet (and it will) it takes a long time to dry out, the zippers are exposed and do not have a rain flap, and the strap does not allow for alternative mounting or carrying positions.

I've seen all sorts of accessory bags. No one approach is best. You need to determine what you are trying to accomplish by having said bag, and then how best you can satisfy the particular need.

You will all too often read someone claiming that this or another items or product weighs virtually nothing. Well, I will tell you from experience, a back containing lots of items that each weigh virtually nothing, always manages to weigh far too much, all-in. It is remarkable really. The Camino is not a fashion parade. Practical, lightweight and flexible solution typically work best. Good luck finding a solution that optimizes you needs.

Buen Camino

Tom (from Virginia)

View attachment 6080 View attachment 6081 I plan on using a Scott's travel vest; has various pockets built inside still very comfortable. Has room for my documents, small water bottle, camera, phone, Kindle, etc.. and is water-repellent, not proof. The only thing I don' t like is the collar, which does not wick the sweat away. But there are easy workarounds for that (Buff or bandana). Also has nifty way to hide, secure any wiring for phones, etc.

Just a question, like what are you going to do when either rainfall or a good sweat completely soaks the fleece or vest material? Water is water, and perspiration contains more salt than rainwater. I've seen people wearing all sorts of traveler vests, fishing vests, and the like. But, as a good friend (deceased this past May while on Camino) used to state: "...The rain in Spain falls mainly on Galicia..." He was right of course...

Also, to protect my electronics, I used aLoksak bags from here: http://www.loksak.com/products/aloksak for all my electronic and must keep dry at all costs items. I had separate bags for my mobile phone, iPod Touch, digital camera, pilgrim credential and national passport. All the plastic sacks fit in my cargo pants side leg pockets. You can actually use the mobile or iPod through the bag in heavy rainfall - did. This way, these vital documents were also always on me, at all times.

Respectfully, while the Scott-e-Vest and similar products might be fine for urban travel, I question if they are "rugged" enough to withstand Camino conditions. But again, you need to use whatever works best for you. Your experience will determine if you made the right decision.

Buen Camino

Tom (from Virginia)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I only used my small purse which went into a front pocket of my pants. I phone went into the other and my passport and credential into another pocket. This was so each for me. I agree with Falcon get rid of the weight. The Camino Frances is safe.

I only used my small purse which went into a front pocket of my pants. I phone went into the other and my passport and credential into another pocket. This was so each for me. I agree with Falcon get rid of the weight. The Camino Frances is safe.
I guess it all depends on how one walks the Camino. I had worn my fanny pack on the front when I walked the CF. It was sufficient and convenient when I used it for my "go to items" (camera, credential, passport, wallet). However, while some others eat lunch at a cafe, I carried my snacks and lunch with me to eat while walking. I found that my fanny pack was not meant for bread, cheese, yogurt, fruits, snacks etc... I also found that it was difficult for me to remove my water bottle from my backpack while walking. That's why I was looking into a slightly bigger bag than my fanny bag so that I can have my food items and water easily available whenever I want them. Each of us will find our own way of walking the Camino (poles/no poles, gaiters/rain pants/raincoat/poncho, Napoleon route/Valcarlos, fanny pack/small purse/sling bag...). Buen Camino to all.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I was planning on taking a pack that straps around my waist and sits in front for "on the go items", important papers, money, maps, etc. However, I found a front sling pack that has much more room and feels more comfortable, and I have been able to drop over a pound from my backpack by choosing this style. What type of front bag do people use? I see 'belt wallet' on a lot of packing lists, but wonder what other peoples experiences are with these bags.

Passport etc in a money belt or similar under your clothes. If the stuff is important you don't want to lose it. It's not like you need to access this stuff every few minutes.

If you wearing hiking pants they likely already have quite a few pockets. Your backpack may already have pockets on the hip belt.

Moving weight from your backpack that is designed to carry the weight to something else that may or may not really be intended to carry the weight brings it's own issues.

IMHO if you're going to add weight for these things consider a backpack with the added features/pockets access points. It's not like getting a lighter backpack and then strapping the weight some place else will be better.

I guess it all depends on how one walks the Camino. I had worn my fanny pack on the front when I walked the CF. It was sufficient and convenient when I used it for my "go to items" (camera, credential, passport, wallet). However, while some others eat lunch at a cafe, I carried my snacks and lunch with me to eat while walking. I found that my fanny pack was not meant for bread, cheese, yogurt, fruits, snacks etc... I also found that it was difficult for me to remove my water bottle from my backpack while walking. That's why I was looking into a slightly bigger bag than my fanny bag so that I can have my food items and water easily available whenever I want them. Each of us will find our own way of walking the Camino (poles/no poles, gaiters/rain pants/raincoat/poncho, Napoleon route/Valcarlos, fanny pack/small purse/sling bag...). Buen Camino to all.
Great post! I agree, we will find our own way!

I used this "fanny" back liked below with insulated spots for 2 5oo ml bottles. I did this because in my test walking I could not reach my water bottle. When walking I hook on the waist pack, hoist my back pack, bend forward just enough to clip my back pack waist band under my waist pack. This worked great for me. I bought this as a last minute purchase at Walmart for something like $10. If you find this type of solution is for you, you can get waist packs with space for water bottles at almost any outdoor store.

I did find it very easy to keep my water bottles filled. They were always with me so each time I took a "potty" break in a bar, I filled up my water bottles. I never needed to have more than the 2 500 ml bottles.

The key is try out any solution prior to going.

http://outdoorproducts.com/mojave-waist-pack/

Buen Camino
(walked Camino Frances from Pamplona to Santiago May 2013)

What model of scottevest do you intend to take? I own his lightweight travel vest and took it for before & after Camino use (posted it SJPDP to SDC) but found it too hot to wear under my pack due to it needing a garment underneath. All the stuff that could have been carried in it was safely and efficiently stowed in my pack anyway. Great for the plane tho. Loading it up enabled my pack to be carryon baggage.

I am leaving in three days!!! and have been all around and up and down about where to carry passport, cash, cards, phone, etc. To make a long, boring story short for various reasons I considered, tried and ultimately rejected the following: Scottevest, runner's vest, hiking-cargo pants, hiking-cargo skirt, fanny pack, money belt around waist, around neck. In the end I decided that i would leave my passport, most of my cards and cash and my credential in a nylon daypack I planned to take to shower, use around town , etc. after check-in. The day pack will be in an easy to get location (maybe seperate sleeping bag compartment or in the compartment in the lid of the pack?). I will carry 75 (?) euros and my main credit card in the small zipper compartment of my shirt.

Is there some reason I should not have that stuff in my backpack? Isn't my backpack going to be with me in close proximity until I get to the evening's lodging? Will I need acess to that stuff while I am walking? I assume I will only need access to water and some cash. Please tell me if I am wrong? Thanks!

The problem with putting something like a passport in your backpack is if the worst happens you lose your pack and your passport.

Unless you're checking into a hotel every night you likely won't need your passport at all. The same thing with your plane boarding pass. Your home keys.

Now I'm not trying to scare anybody. The chances you'll get robbed or you'll lose something is very low. But planning for the worst isn't about what's likely to happen but what might.

If you have a smart phone take photos of your passport and other documents. Or maybe photocopy the main page and store that photocopy some place else.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I thought I would do the same - carrying documents, passport, etc in a sea2summit micro pack in my backpack. my thought was that the micro pack would be easy to take out and carry to the showers and around towns, but would be safely out of the way when I am walking. Also, I really do not want to carry a bumbag, sling, or waist belt. As an experienced pilgrim (and other forum members) can you be specific about the problems you see with carrying docs/passport in micro pack in the backpack?

Maggie & Dulcitea, sometimes I had to leave my backpack outside a store or in the back of a church. I also do not take my backpack with me when I use the restroom at a cafe. I guess you can take your micro pack out of your backpacks on these occasions. Definitely do-able. In my case, nothing ever happened to my backpack. However, I just found it more convenient (and "safer") to have "important papers" with me in a fanny pack when I walked the CF. There's a third thin "compartment" next to the body where I kept money, passport, air tickets... The two visible compartments were for my "knick knacks" (camera, lip balm, snacks...). As mentioned in a previous post, for my next camino, I plan to take a "front bag" that can also carry my water bottle and food with me while walking. Buen Camino!
Fanny Pack.jpg

Ahhhhh thanks hieudovan; that's what I needed to know. I guess I have to decide whether it is more of a pain to take the micropack out of the backpack everytime I stop and have to park my backback where it is not in view, or wear a waistpack. If I opt or the former, I will have to remind myself not to get complacent/lazy and leave it in the backpack while I just run in to use the facilities.... I can definitely see myself doing that! On the other hand, like you alluded to, the incidents of theft are few and far between. It sounds like more often people forget stuff. I think I would have to have had drunk a lot of wine to forget my backpack!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ahhhhh thanks hieudovan; that's what I needed to know. I guess I have to decide whether it is more of a pain to take the micropack out of the backpack everytime I stop and have to park my backback where it is not in view, or wear a waistpack. If I opt or the former, I will have to remind myself not to get complacent/lazy and leave it in the backpack while I just run in to use the facilities.... I can definitely see myself doing that! On the other hand, like you alluded to, the incidents of theft are few and far between. It sounds like more often people forget stuff. I think I would have to have had drunk a lot of wine to forget my backpack!
You might not forget your backpack, but your micro pack might not be there when you come back : ( Just kidding, I am sure you'll not have that much wine on the trail to forget to take out your micro pack whenever you do have to leave your backpack out of view. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.