• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Berlin to Santiago.

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Camino Frances,
2019 C. Portuguese (inland).
I’m interested to know if anyone on the Forum has walked from Berlin to Santiago in one go. And if you did, the route you followed and how long it took.
Thanks
25EA7C9B-4A83-4135-8750-A37BB1BCEC9A.jpeg 18AA4BDF-7C68-4AE6-81CE-340129B2A72C.jpeg 16127E67-5BFC-48F4-8D6F-9407EB33F337.jpeg

Attachments

• C857FA33-EC8D-4DF0-90BC-A274537633A4.jpeg
    C857FA33-EC8D-4DF0-90BC-A274537633A4.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last edited:
Lexicos,
While you are waiting for an answer here is a post to read which mentions such a trek.
Happy planning!
Thank you ms. The thread has some good information in it. It’s a good start to some information.
Just a thought for me at the moment but then that’s where all things start isn’t it.
Many thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Berlin-Santiago in one go was always a dream of mine when I still lived there. Sadly it wasn't possible. Hope to read an account of someone who did do it!

It's a very long trek, so there probably won't be many who do it in one go.

Most Germans walking from home will walk it in parts over several years.

I plan to walk from home in one go next year. Estimated time frame 4,5 month + (I'm slow).

Home -Trier 3 weeks
Trier - Cluny 4 weeks
Cluny - le Puy 2 weeks
Le Puy - St. Jean 4-5 weeks
St Jean - Finisterre 5 weeks.

The part from Berlin would have added another 3-4 weeks (but my preferred route Berlin-Cologne wouldn't have followed the Jakobsweg).

Found this website that shows a possible route from Berlin

Via imperii and via regia are nice. Depending where you continue from there, you'll have several options.

Happy planning!

Last edited:
Seems like a great plan !
This site may give you some idea about the possibilities in Germany:

For the first part, the following route seems to make sense (although it is a bit longer than walking via Frankfurt)

Berlin - Leipzig on the Via Imperii
see also : https://brandenburger-jakobswege.de

Leipzig - Eisenach on the Via Regia
see also: https://www.oekumenischer-pilgerweg.de/

Eisenach - Marburg - Koln
see also: https://www.elisabethpfad.de/

Pilgrim infrastructure in Germany is not always so good, but on these routes there are quite a lot of albergues. I have walked from Gorlitz/Leipzig to Marburg (and hope to walk the Via Imperii next year)

Berlin-Santiago in one go was always a dream of mine when I still lived there. Sadly it wasn't possible. Hope to read an account of someone who did do it!

It's a very long trek, so there probably won't be many who do it in one go.

Most Germans walking from home will walk it in parts over several years.

I plan to walk from home in one go next year. Estimated time frame 4,5 month + (I'm slow).

Home -Trier 3 weeks
Trier - Cluny 4 weeks
Cluny - le Puy 2 weeks
Le Puy - St. Jean 4-5 weeks
St Jean - Finisterre 5 weeks.

The part from Berlin would have added another 3-4 weeks (but my preferred route Berlin-Cologne wouldn't have followed the Jakobsweg).

Found this website that shows a possible route from Berlin

Via imperii and via regia are nice. Depending where you continue from there, you'll have several options.

Happy planning!
Thank you. GOS! You’ve sent me some very useful information.
When do you plan to start?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Seems like a great plan !
This site may give you some idea about the possibilities in Germany:

For the first part, the following route seems to make sense (although it is a bit longer than walking via Frankfurt)

Berlin - Leipzig on the Via Imperii
see also : https://brandenburger-jakobswege.de

Leipzig - Eisenach on the Via Regia
see also: https://www.oekumenischer-pilgerweg.de/

Eisenach - Marburg - Koln
see also: https://www.elisabethpfad.de/

Pilgrim infrastructure in Germany is not always so good, but on these routes there are quite a lot of albergues. I have walked from Gorlitz/Leipzig to Marburg (and hope to walk the Via Imperii next year)
Brilliant!
Many thanks Marc.
Plenty to look into and study there.

from Berlin to Santiago
When I was walking across Bavaria (in stages), one of my fellow pilgrims was from Paderborn, which is as close to Berlin as I am familiar with.
http://www.deutsche-jakobswege.de/wege-uebersicht.html
There are lots of German-language resources on the many well-marked and well-maintained German routes - the famous "little yellow books" from Conrad are available at every bookstore in Germany as well as from Amazon.de.

The route goes from Berlin through Leipzig to Nurmburg, which is where our paths crossed I think. From Nurmburg it goes through Ulm - Konstanz - Einsiedeln - Interlaken - Geneva - Le Puy etc. Most Germans I encountered were doing 30-40km days, where I was only comfortable with 15-18km days, so the number of days enroute will differ. But, here goes: Nurmburg to Konstanz 2 weeks, Switz 4 weeks, Geneva - Le Puy 3 weeks.

Last edited:
The route through Switzerland is stunning.
Once you get to Lake Geneva, take the boat to Geneva like historically the pilgrims did. I tried to walk that stretch. It was horrendously built up and no affordable accommodation. Most of the small guesthouses in the yellow guide had closed or had been demolished. One night we paid 275 Swiss Francs for a room, as only option.
In Germany often, you will need to stay in small hotels or BnB. I just walked 3 days on Via Imperii to Bayreuth and the stretch from Erfurt via Coburg, Bamberg, Rothenburg, Schwaebisch Hall.
I typically spent Euro 45 for bed and bfast. Many accommodation providers closed due to Corona and some have medium term tenants, guest laborers, so finding a bed was a little tricky at times.
In Switzerland, there are a few pilgrim hostels and sleeping in the straw options, that help balance the at times expensive options.
When you get onto Geneva to Le Puy, make sure you get the Guide Jaune from the Association de St Jacques Rhone D'Alpes. It has list of all accommodation options including Accueil Jacquaire, donativo private lodgings. If you speak a little French, it is a wonderful way of emmersing yourself into local life.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Super neat idea! I planned on walking from Rorschach to Finisterre in one go in 2013. However due to a medical problem had to split this into 3 separate walks.

88 walking days in total… Via Jacobi (Rorschach to Geneva), Via Gebennensis (Geneva to Le Puy), Via Podiensis (Le Puy to St. Jean Pied de Port), Camino Frances (St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela) and then on to Finisterre.

While shorter than your potential route it might well form part of your overall plan. Incredible scenery through Switzerland and France!

Some pictures and daily descriptions in blog postings http://caminolongwalk.blogspot.com might be of interest.

Enjoy the planning!

Guy

Also wanted to add, for the route I've planned for (via Cologne-Trier-Metz-cluny-Le Puy) it's possible to stay at camp sites for at least 80% of time until Spain, which, for such a long trek, really helps to keep cost down. Had to make a few changes from the official route to achieve that, but not many. Campsites are usually 8-15 Euros, depending on the amount of luxury they offer. They always have showers/toilets, sometimes a small shop / restaurant / pool.

Camp sites are usually open from easter onwards in Germany, from May in France, and will close in september/october.

Many will say that camping gear is too heavy, but it's not that bad. My base weight is 8kgs, max 10 with food/water. Gear is good enough to never be cold at night even at -10C. Mostly cheap decathlon, except sleeping bag.

Accommodation prices in Germany and France are high, as others already mentioned, so bringing a lightweight tent is at least worth a thought for such a project. If you want to stay in hotels/pensions each night for about 3000kms or more, it will be a very expensive trip (there are a few pilgrim hostels, especially on the via regia, but it's not the norm).

My first attempt Germany-Finisterre failed because of that. Many campsites were still closed (early spring) and hotels often 50-80E (dinner not included). Had to skip Nancy-le Puy and learnt my lesson.

Such a long walk is certainly a bit of an adventure!

(Edit: I am starting to type down the itinerary / list of places with camping / cheap lodging options for that route. So far it's only hand written. If anyone is interested, I'll share it once it's finished).

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I do know a couple, who walked from Dresden to SdC in one go.

As far as I remember, they needed ~3 months to complete their journey.

Last edited:
Hi,
I am doing Berlin-Santiago it in sections.
By now I have walked from Berlin to Santo Domingo de la Calzada.

I kind of invented my own camino, at least in Germany. And I did not count the days.

My route was:
- Wunderblutweg to Bad Wilsnack with pilgrim infrastructure (1 week)
- along the Elbe to Magdeburg, meeting the Jakobsweg around Tangermünde (3-4 days?)
- via Halberstadt to the Harz mountains (4 days?)
- crossing the Harz, going over the Brocken summit (not choosing the monastery Jakobsweg route around the mountains) (2 days)
- via Bad Gandersheim to the Solling forest to Höxter/Corvey (3 days)
- from Corvey monastery on the Jakobsweg to Paderborn (4 days?)
- from Paderborn taking the Jakobsweg route thru the Sauerland mountains to Cologne (10 days?)
- from Cologne to Trier (5 days?)
- from Trier to Metz (4 days?)
- from Metz to Vezelay (2 weeks?)
- Voie de Vezelay, taking the southern option via Nevers, to SJPdP (divided into 3 sections); from Vezelay onwards excellent pilgrim infrastructure
- Camino Frances to Santo Domingo de la Calzada
... about 3 weeks still to go ... may be I will have about 5 days in November to continue my personal long Camino

I did carry a tent from Metz to Vezelay, staying at official camping sites several times. After Vezelay there was very good pilgrim infrastructure.
I frequently payed good money for commercial accommodation. France and Germany are kind of expensive. Food is an issue. Germany difficult, France really hard. Buy food when you find a bakery or a store!

The walk in Germany was not the typical Camino. My personal Camino has to take me via Paderborn and I had to find my own way more or less from Magdburg to Corvey

A more direct option would be as mentioned by others the Via Imperil to Leipzig. There it joins the Via Regia to Vacha with the advantage excellent pilgrim infrastructure. From Vacha you would continue to Fulda for instance and then ... well, not researched yet ... There are established trail options from Fulda.

Ultreia!

@Kitsambler: Paderborn for German standards is pretty far from Berlin. About 450 km ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

An article in the weekend edition of the Irish Times. I hope it can be accessed. If not, just follow the website above. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat, Credit for Gaelic version, @wayfarer...
The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.