• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bernie the German Shepherd from Castrojerez

RENSHAW

Official Camino Vino taster
Time of past OR future Camino
2003 CF Ronces to Santiago
Hospi San Anton 2016.
Anyone know the full story of the dog that loved to walk with pilgrims and used to follow a selected pilgrim to the next town where his owner would have to collect him or he would go the whole way to Santiago.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Re: Bernie the German Sheperd from Castrojerez

The bar/restaurant it still open & although Bernie has gone to doggie heaven, the new dog has been known to traipse after pilgrims up the hill before turning around & heading for home.

Kelly

In 2001 I walked with Bernie from his home, La Taberna in Castro Jerez. We walked 24kms together and when we arrived in Fromistra I noticed a lot of people knew the dog but I wasn't sure whey. I tried to get him into the albergue but the hosptelera sternly marched him out. I found out from an Argentinian pilgrim that he was a legend on the Camino. Each day he would choose a pilgrim to walk with but when he got to Fromistra, he refused to walk back home. Someone from the village would have to drive him or call his owners to pick him up!!!

Bernie inspired me because of his unconditional love but also because he was a lot like other modern day pilgrims. When I arrived in Santiago I also caught a ride back home. I decided that I would walk the reverse route one day and did the Camino "al contrario" twice. You can read the story about my experience with Bernie in the book My Camino or listen to it on a storytelling CD I recorded in 2003 called Stone by Stone. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/suekenney

Love you Bernie.
Sue

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

They had a bunch of newspaper clippings about him at the bar where he used to live (it's right on the Camino route) when I passed through two years ago--it seems he was quite famous!

I can't remember if any of the clippings were in English, since I could've more or less puzzled them out if they were Spanish.

Anna-Marie

I love that place. Anyone remember the bird that would come sit on your shoulder? He'd get jealous if you gave Bernie all the attention.

We stopped there for lunch, had so much beer that when we found they rented some rooms upstairs we just stayed. I mentioned once that I had a pilgrim's stamp in my real passport, and perhaps alcohol was involved. That's the stamp.

The Bar is wonderful and the food is exceptional. I had a fat cat plonk istself on my lap and she asked if I could take Her to Santiago? I just love this bar with the animals , but please , some more about Bernie , the dog that loved to walk the Camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

don´t know about Bernie, but I know Jackie, an enormous Leonese Mastín, who lives at the pilgrim hostel in Terradillos de los Templarios. Occasionally he will walk with pilgrims, but only as far as Moratinos, the next village along the camino. He hangs around the plaza, greeting pilgrims and cadging food, then comes to MY house and hangs out until his owners come for him, sometimes hours later.

There are plenty of stories of pilgrim dogs following along the trail. Our dog Tim came to us with two French pilgrims, from the trail outside Carrion de los Condes. And Don Trigo, another dog from the same neighborhood, followed Pieter Pannevis, a Dutch pilgrim, all the way to Santiago. (Pieter took him back to Netherlands with him, and Don Trigo was featured for a long time on the Santiagobis website.)

Reb.

Thanks for supplying the name! On my last trip through in 2009, I stopped & petted the dog & the cat before I did anything else. Ended up getting quite a bit of food for only 2 euros. :mrgreen: It's a great place to eat dinner at night too. Didn't know they rented rooms....maybe on my next trip....

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I was followed all day up the mountain by the lovely Runa the Mastiff from Villafranca Del Bierzo. Anyone else encounter this dog? For a while two hunters dogs were following Runa, but we managed to throw them off, Runa however was more tenacious and had to be collected by her owner from the German hostel.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just commenting on this thread as I do not have the computer literacy to post the link;)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.