• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best 100+K Route for Me & 2 First Time 13-year-old Nieces!

AnnaG

So many Caminos; so little time.
Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Caminho from Porto-Santiago late September/early October 20 2013
I walked Porto to Santiago alone in late September/October 2013. Changed my life. I'm taking my twin nieces in 2015 on a Camino, but we haven't chosen which one just yet. For several reasons, I don't want to do the whole French Way just yet. In fact, I want to do that myself in 2016! I am going to gather and share different routes with the two girls, and then together we will decide which one to take. (I thoroughly enjoyed Portugal!! I walked along the coast for several days to start - stunning).

Ideas about routes that would allow us to walk at least the 100K, if not more.

Thanks for input.

Warm regards,
Anna

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For infrastructure and facilities especialy with two pre-teens I would think Sarria to Santiago would be good. Others will advise you on the Ingles etc and other shorter Caminos.

Lugo at the primitivo is an option. Easy to reach. You experience also 2 camino's in one. First the relatively quit Primitivo, about half way from Melide on you experience the much busier Frances.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Camino Ingles from Ferrol to Santiago if you want to be rewarded with a Compostela 120 kms of A Coruna to Santiago without Compostela 86 kms
Or walk again the Portugese from Valença or Tui. Or the one alongside the coast from Aguarda via Baiona and Vigo to Redondela and on to Santiago. We are now in that area (Viana do Castelo ). Great scenary and easy to do Lots of lodging

M

Last edited:
These are your choices:

Sarria -Frances 114 km
Tui - Portugues - 115 km
Lugo - Primitivo - 101 km
Ferrol - Ingles - 112 km
Muxia/ Fisterra - Fisterra Way - 116 km
Ourense - Silver Way - 108 km
Baamonde - Norte - 102 km
Monte de Lemos - Invierno - 120 km

I have walked 3 of them - on the Frances, Portugues and from SDC to Fisterra.
I cannot say which one is the best - they all are wonderful and different, not the same.

Buen camino :)

Last edited:
The first 100 km of the Le Puy - young girls find all things French very appealing. Then everyone can keep coming back until you reach Santiago.
Biggest problem is that if they are typical young teens they will complain endlessly when it gets tough. Suggest you all watch St Jacques Le Mecque together. Very funny French film based on walking from Le Puy and it has a few youngsters in lead roles.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For infrastructure and facilities especialy with two pre-teens I would think Sarria to Santiago would be good. Others will advise you on the Ingles etc and other shorter Caminos.
Thanks for your input. It does give them a taste for the "Way"!

The first 100 km of the Le Puy - young girls find all things French very appealing. Then everyone can keep coming back until you reach Santiago.
Biggest problem is that if they are typical young teens they will complain endlessly when it gets tough. Suggest you all watch St Jacques Le Mecque together. Very funny French film based on walking from Le Puy and it has a few youngsters in lead roles.
That's an intriguing perspective. I will check out the "St Jacques Le Mecque". Thank you!

These are your choices:

Sarria -Frances 114 km
Tui - Portugues - 115 km
Lugo - Primitivo - 101 km
Ferrol - Ingles - 112 km
Muxia/ Fisterra - Fisterra Way - 116 km
Ourense - Silver Way - 108 km
Baamonde - Norte - 102 km
Monte de Lemos - Invierno - 120 km

I have walked 3 of them - on the Frances, Portugues and from SDC to Fisterra.
I cannot say whish one is best - they all are wonderful and different, not the same.

Buen camino :)
Hi Annie: Wow, you know your stuff. Perfect - thank you for covering all the bases. So many Caminos; so little time!

Anna

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Camino Ingles from Ferrol to Santiago if you want to be rewarded with a Compostela 120 kms of A Coruna to Santiago without Compostela 86 kms
Or walk again the Portugese from Valença or Tui. Or the one alongside the coast from Aguarda via Baiona and Vigo to Redondela and on to Santiago. We are now in that area (Viana do Castelo ). Great scenary and easy to do Lots of lodging

M
Hi M. Yes, isn't the coast in Portugal magical? Unfortunately all my days on the coast in October were in rain! Can you believe that? It hadn't rained in many months, then I arrived in Porto, and the rain began the following day. *SIGH* At least it was a warm rain!

I would love to return and share that with my nieces. Thank you for your ideas and the mileage, too. Very helpful.

Bom Caminho!

Miss Anna

Lugo at the primitivo is an option. Easy to reach. You experience also 2 camino's in one. First the relatively quit Primitivo, about half way from Melide on you experience the much busier Frances.
That's a fabulous idea, Thomas! I will give it due consideration.

Anna Em

Hello Wayfarer: Thanks for your input. I have been thinking a lot about the infrastructure/facilities components as well. Much to consider!

Anna

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked Porto to Santiago alone in late September/October 2013. Changed my life. I'm taking my twin nieces in 2015 on a Camino, but we haven't chosen which one just yet. For several reasons, I don't want to do the whole French Way just yet. In fact, I want to do that myself in 2016! I am going to gather and share different routes with the two girls, and then together we will decide which one to take. (I thoroughly enjoyed Portugal!! I walked along the coast for several days to start - stunning).

Ideas about routes that would allow us to walk at least the 100K, if not more.

Thanks for input.

Warm regards,
Anna

Thank you ALL for your feedback. Absolutely what I needed - and everyone with varying pieces of input. I LOVE this! My nieces will have much fun choosing.

I appreciate your support, knowledge, and willingness to share.

Buen Camino! Perhaps we'll meet out there somewhere :)

Anna Em

That's an intriguing perspective. I will check out the "St Jacques Le Mecque". Thank you!

I got the DVD from Amazon - highly recommended funny film. There is one very short, in the distance sex scene, probably less harmful than most things on TV. You might have to censor. I can't think of anything else a 13 year old should not see.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.