• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best 2-week Del Norte section recommendation for pilgrims

JoroAtanasof

Time of past OR future Camino
one too many
Hi pilgrims
This year I have only two weeks that I can spend . What section of del Norte will you recommend ?
It is not necessary to reach Santiago .
The plan is to start late May or September .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I did the Norte to Oviedo in 2 weeks (as I was switching to the Primitivo) and enjoyed it. I can't comment about the second half of the Norte - but I like the first half!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Me too. And would seek out some of the coastal alternatives both for the landscapes / scenery and avoiding some of the bitumen which is a ‘feature’ of the Norte.😎

@trecile can likely point you to information on the forum re the coastal alternatives 😍
Could you explain the bitumen "feature"?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have walked the first half of the Norte before turning on to the Primitivo and absolutely loved it. Walking on the back roads does not bother my feet and I usually find them nice with good views, however walking along highways is a negative, so I'd switch over to the coast to avoid them whenever possible.

All that to say I had planned to walk the 2nd half of the Norte in 2020 before the pandemic halted everything. I am now contemplating returning to finish it, but am worried it will not be as enjoyable to me as I am not a fan of too much walking in woods and eucalyptus forests, prefering more open views and villages. I know that a few have switched eventually on to the Ruta do Mar, but I have read it is very solitary with less infrastructure, although it would allow continuing on to the Ingles if I were so inclined.
I would appreciate hearing comments from those who have walked the full Norte; comparing the two halves of it.

Last edited:
I have walked the "full" Norte twice and hope to do it again. Yes, you leave the charming and rugged Basque country and the dramatic Cantabrian coast line at Ribadeo and head inland. This is every bit as delightful as the earlier part of the del Norte, if not more so, and downright enchanting in many areas -- if it is not pouring down rain. (Avoid late October/early November.). I just returned from travel yesterday. In a few days I will get back to this thread with some recommendations if you wish. Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for the replies , so I decided to start from Irun and walk for 12 /13 days . I always started my Caminos in May , June or July so it will be something different this time .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For all you who have done the Norte and Primitivo, what will I miss on the Norte after Oviedo?
I too am wondering what the Norte is like after Oviedo.
I enjoyed the many lovely ocean views and the lively, interesting cities mixed in on the first half, although it did seem to lack quaint villages.
I would appreciate some opinions from those who have walked the full route for comparison.

For all you who have done the Norte and Primitivo, what will I miss on the Norte after Oviedo?

While the Camino does eventually turn inland after the split with the Primitivo, there still is some beautiful coastline to enjoy. And the albergue with the best views in Tapia de Casariego.

tapia-peregrinos-14.jpg

I did the Norte to the Primitivo last summer (2022) and plan on returning in August to finish the Norte from Gijon to Santiago. Like others have commented above, I too am curious should I spend the time I have to walk finishing the Norte, or are there other routes that my time would be better spent? Any insight/experiences would be appreciated :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Other than the dreary walk from Gijon to Aviles the del Norte continues spectacularly much along the coast of the Cantabrian Sea, to Ribadeo. At Ribadeo you head up into the green hills and mountains of Galicia. I have walked it twice. Hope to again. Charming. And then walk the Primitivo separately. Rugged and beautiful. Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.