• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Airport to SJPDP

barryg

Time of past OR future Camino
June: Camino Frances from Pamplona
Hello!

I am flying from Boston, USA. Is Biarritz still the best airport to fly into to get to SJPDP? And Madrid to fly home? How much more difficult would it be to fly into Madrid and wend my way to SJPDP. I can get a good RT fare to Madrid, but how complicated and time consuming is land transport to SJPDP from Madrid.

So, my question is, would it be better to fly into Biarritz, then bus to SJPDP, hike the Camino to Santiago, then take the train to Madrid to fly home, or just to fly into Madrid and fly home from Madrid?

Thanks for any help.

Warmly,

Barry

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The roundtrip flight to Madrid looks like a good idea to me. It's worth looking at arrival times of the flights that you're considering -

IB6166 (non-stop from BOS to MAD) arrives at 6:20 AM on the date that I checked. That would give you a wide choice of planes, trains, and buses to reach Pamplona same day. Flights back to BOS from Madrid are also conveniently timed around midday.

Some flights from BOS to CDG also arrive in the early morning. Some don't, which may give you fewer options and a a later arrival in SJPP.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
BarryG,

When I did the CF 2 years ago, I flew in to Bordeaux. Easy bus to the train station and 1 quick change in Bayonne to get to SJPP. The train from Bayonne to SJPP was full of my soon to be Camino Family. An option anyway.

Buen Camino.

Biarritz is definitely best airport for getting to SJPDP, if you want to do your whole Boston — SJPDP journey without staying overnight somewhere in Spain before getting to SJPDP. From the Biarritz airport, you can pick up the Express Bourricot shuttle, which meets every incomiing plane — https://www.expressbourricot.com/
— and you’ll be in St. Jean in an hour. Or, you can take a local bus into Bayonne, and then pick up a local train to SJPDP.

Don’t downplay the hassle involved in getting to SJPDP from Madrid. You can get a bus directly from the Madrid Airport — schedules at Alsa bus website at https://www.alsa.com/en/web/bus/home - but it’s a 5 hour ride, and then you have to pick up a second bus to SJPDP, which is almost another 2 hours. Again, see the Alsa website for the schedule. Plus, there’s waiting time for those 2 buses.

Train ride from Madrid to Pamplona, follwed by bus from Pamplona is also possible. See http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html for schedule. Then, you pick up the Alsa bus to SJPDP. However, while the train ride from Madrid to Pamplona is only 3 hours (vs. 5 hours on the bus), you then have to get from the Madrid Airport to central Madrid, and when you get to Pamplona you have to get from the train station to the bus station.

If you choose the Madrid option, it might be wiser to stay overnight in Madrid before attempting the further voyages to SJPDP.

If you do elect to go to Madrid, also, I would suggest flying Norwegian, which flies non-stop from Boston to Madrid for $170 each way.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello!

I am flying from Boston, USA. Is Biarritz still the best airport to fly into to get to SJPDP? And Madrid to fly home? How much more difficult would it be to fly into Madrid and wend my way to SJPDP. I can get a good RT fare to Madrid, but how complicated and time consuming is land transport to SJPDP from Madrid.

So, my question is, would it be better to fly into Biarritz, then bus to SJPDP, hike the Camino to Santiago, then take the train to Madrid to fly home, or just to fly into Madrid and fly home from Madrid?

Thanks for any help.

Warmly,

Barry
I always fly into Charles de Gaul in Paris and catch the train from the airport to Bayonne and the connector to SJPDP.

I left Boston in September last year and flew Lufthansa to Munich and Pamplona. The layover wasn't bad and it ended up being cheaper than trying to get there from Barcelona or Madrid. The Trip to SJPdP doesn't take long by bus or taxi. Flights from Santiago to Barcelona were almost as cheap as the train and take a lot less time. I expect the same would be true for Madrid.

I've flown into Madrid three times, but chose to fly to Paris this year. I've always spent a night or two in Madrid before heading to SJPdP, and I did the sane in Paris this year. I found it to be an easier trip from Paris to SJPdP than from Madrid. You only need to do a quick change of trains at Bayonne. If you take the train from Madrid to Pamplona you have to either go to the bus station to get the bus to SJPdP, or take a taxi to St Jean.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you take the train from Madrid to Pamplona you have to either go to the bus station to get the bus to SJPdP, or take a taxi to St Jean.
True but bus line A leaves the train station once an hour for a direct connection to the bus station and line 9 street bus makes a few stops before making one close to the bus station. Line 9 also leaves from the train station and there is one every 10-15 minutes

I'm not saying which way is better, Madrid, Barcelona or Paris, but the Pamplona connection is not so bad. Also, if the timing is right you can see Pamplona between connections and then walk through it later.

I’ve done this a few different ways and would recommend a night in Bayonne/Biarritz en route to SJPP if you can spare the time. Take a few deep breaths and get a good night’s sleep. Then a great first day by train and on foot to Orisson.

Bill (also Boston)

You have so many airports in the wider area (Biarritz, Pau, Lourdes, Toulouse, Bordeaux | San Sebastian, Bilbao, Pamplona, Vitoria, Logrono, Madrid, Barcelona) that you have countless options. Be aware, that some small airports have only 2-3 flights a day.
From far abroad direct flights usually end up in Madrid, Barcelona, Paris and maybe Brussels, where you can take another flight close to your destination. Especially in Spain accomodation and land transportation is inexpensive, that's why flying into Madrid is usually a good choice for all the spanish caminos.
If you can't fly from Santiago, you might find something from Vigo, La Coruna or Porto. Madrid and Lisbon is 7 to 10hours by public transport, Barcelona even further.

Pamplona to SJPdP by Taxi is something most people don't want to pay. I don't think you can find such ride for less than 100€.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I flew into San Sebastian, which is about the best place in the world to start a visit to Spain. After a couple of days stuffing my face with pintxos I took the morning train to SJPdP (which also makes a stop in Irun/Biarritz). If you do this it will be more convenient to stay overnight in Orisson because you will most likely start out after lunch in SJPdP.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back