• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Albergue before Santarem

helene saint onge

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2017
If you don’t walk to walk the 33.2 km between Azambuja and Santarem, there is the perfect Albergue in Porto de Muge (half way) and Paula welcomes pilgrims with her big heart, comfortable place and great food. It’s worth the stop.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you don’t walk to walk the 33.2 km between Azambuja and Santarem, there is the perfect Albergue in Porto de Muge (half way) and Paula welcomes pilgrims with her big heart, comfortable place and great food. It’s worth the stop.
Thanks for the information Helene, we leave Australia tomorrow heading for Lisbon via Madrid. Do you have any more details on this Albergue in Porto de Muge i.e., name and or address? We’re a couple of oldies and would prefer not to walk 33 kms in one day if we can avoid it,

Paula’s place is Quinta do Burra and is at the very north end of town. Almost 1 km north of the bridge. Great hospitality, beds, food and stories. Was there in late August on a 41 C day and she offered us with cold beers or juice when we checked in. Ahhhhh, perfect. Rural casa, but well placed and worth the stop.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I stayed at Paula’s Quinta it was great. We walked passed it as it is easy to miss. We were so happy when we found it as we had walked along way due to closed accomodation. She is the perfect host. I don’t think it’s an Albergue we had our own room with a very comfortable bed. Be careful when you leave as a few farms up we were attacked by dogs.

Paula’s place is Quinta do Burra and is at the very north end of town. Almost 1 km north of the bridge. Great hospitality, beds, food and stories. Was there in late August on a 41 C day and she offered us with cold beers or juice when we checked in. Ahhhhh, perfect. Rural casa, but well placed and worth the stop.
Hi

Thanks Trudy & Rex, very useful info. Also about the dogs as I’m rather a scaredy-cat when it comes to dogs, although I think the dogs should be a little wary of my husband also 😀.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks Trudy & Rex, very useful info. Also about the dogs as I’m rather a scaredy-cat when it comes to dogs, although I think the dogs should be a little wary of my husband also 😀.
Encountered a few farm dogs on my way from Lisboa to Coimbra (none thereafter). As a long time dog owner, I am respectful of their property lines, and give farm dogs in particular a bit of a wide berth. Never been bitten, but have had to resort to a slowed walk and gentle but firm communication to skirt a few that consider the farm road part of their domain. My stout walking stick is a last defensive resort, but never had to use it. As long as you are not aggressive, most dogs will calm down when they realize you are not an invader, just a traveler passing by.
Bom Caminho

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.