• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best albergue in Estella?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Can anyone share some insights on the best options in Estella?

I've done 2 camino frances and stayed at the municipal my first time and Afnas my second. The municipal was not a great experience. I stayed in the first floor anex i believe and the room was dirty and crowded with small bathrooms. I heard if you stay on the second or third floor you are better off. Not sure.

For the second, i stayed at the afnas albergue which was a pleasant experience with nice people, but not "amazing" as some albergue experiences are described. I'd definitely stay there again, but may be open to exploring one of the parishes.

I have been in Estella many times. The first, in the municipal; as it was the place where I was "baptized" in my Caminos I can't give an objective opinion. I felt as in my first day in high school, not sure what to do, and looking in awe at pilgrims who seemed as seasoned trekkers, very at ease with the experience. Trying to remember, it was a bit cramped (not a problem to me), with only a bathroom (so, to shower we had to organize turns by gender). A good kitchen.
I have been at the parochial albergue two times. It is a little house, with (as I remember) just one bedroom with 8 or 10 beds. Communal diner, which is good, with a pleasant atmosphere. My first time the hospitalero was very kind and helpful, and entertained us with anecdotes about his life in Estella; my second one, it was a guy who tried to infuse us with his idea of "how to be a real pilgrim"; it was a bit annoying. I recommend it; but in little places, a lot depends on the hospitalero.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had a good winter experience at the Municipal, great kitchen setup, friendly Hospitalero so would recommend. Last spring when the Muni was full we stayed in a new private Albergue in a private room with bathroom for 30 Euros. Very nice but did not have a kitchen you could use but could buy meals at. This one, whose name I cannot remember (sorry) was almost at the end of town on the way out on the left side of the road.

I had a good winter experience at the Municipal, great kitchen setup, friendly Hospitalero so would recommend. Last spring when the Muni was full we stayed in a new private Albergue in a private room with bathroom for 30 Euros. Very nice but did not have a kitchen you could use but could buy meals at. This one, whose name I cannot remember (sorry) was almost at the end of town on the way out on the left side of the road.

The new place that you cite and enjoyed is the Albergue Capuchinos which is scenically located at 6 calle des Capuchinos.
See more here on their web--
http://www.alberguescapuchinos.org/albergues/

Can anyone share some insights on the best options in Estella?

If you would like a break from Albergues, try hospederia Chapitel good hotel in in what my opinion, is a poor city. Just my opinion ? Check tripadvisor.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was a hospitalero at San Miguel Paroquial albergue in Estella in 2015, where the hospitaleros are volunteers who serve for two weeks then move on. This is common to many albergues other than the commercial ones. So conditions can change every two weeks, such as opening times, communal meals or no dinner, couried baggage accepted or not, friendly or not and many variables. The albergue I worked at was 34 beds in two rooms on the ground level of a two level residential building. I have only stayed at the municipal and San Miguel, so really cannot make a recommendation.

Albergue Juvenil (youth hostel) on the way out of town.
Stayed there twice, both times got my own room with key. Excellent sexsegregated bathrooms. Meals are served. Got a key to the outside door too. Never understood why so few pilgrims stayed there. Bar and garden, lots of place to dry clothes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Never understood why so few pilgrims stayed there.
The first place in a town usually dominates patronage, so the municipal "wins" in Estella. While it is not the best in creature comforts, the Municipal is a hive of pilgrim activity. Very social. I have stayed in three others in Estella, but would recommend the Municipal for its "authentic camino" experience! It does not spoil you with things like space, hot water, and quiet bunks...

The first place in a town usually dominates patronage, so the municipal "wins" in Estella. While it is not the best in creature comforts, the Municipal is a hive of pilgrim activity. Very social. I have stayed in three others in Estella, but would recommend the Municipal for its "authentic camino" experience! It does not spoil you with things like space, hot water, and quiet bunks...
I have tried the first albergue on the left once, but never more.
Very many beds in a small room and no possibility to avoid men in the shower.
By the way, an old man in a small pueblo once told me to go to the second cafe. In the first bar there was a lot of pilgrims so I went on to the second with no people and had a nice time with the old woman owning it. Since then I have always walked on for a second café.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back