• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best albergue in Porto?

Peter462

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept/Oct 2019
Caminho port june 22
Hi there,
Just a quick question to anyone who has stayed in albergues in porto. I know all albergues have plus and minus points but I was wondering what people's experiences of them have been. I'm staying in the albergue peregrine.

Bom caminho

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Albergue de Peregrinos do Porto is officially a hostel but the owner decided only to accept pilgrims.

There's plenty nice hostels in Porto if you want to try something else. Just go for 8+ ratings on Booking .com

Albergue de Peregrinos do Porto is officially a hostel but the owner decided only to accept pilgrims.

There's plenty nice hostels in Porto if you want to try something else. Just go for 8+ ratings on Booking .com
Then contact the hostel yourself so they save on the Booking commision.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Tattva Design Hostel in Porto was awesome, and the location was excellent. Renamed CATS Porto now.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
FYI, if you are looking for hostels in Porto, you might want to avoid Hostel One, depending on your age. It is a youth hostel (although nothing on Booking.com indicated that they had an age limit of 36). We showed up and they informed us that we might want to go elsewhere (I guess we are just not fun enough) and cancelled the reservation. Apparently they sent us a long text message that never loaded for me with the age restriction.

Out of interest: Why do you think that it is a risk to book directly?

10% of all people calling or emailing to make a reservation never shows up, and to get full some hostels over book by 10% to get full every day.

And it happens sometimes more than 90% shows up and there's a problem having enough beds.

With booking .com you are are guaranteed a bed.

I started in Porto in May and stayed in House of Sandeman Hostel, unfortunately it has ruined all other hostels for me as it was AMAZING! Luxury at €15 per night, breakfast, afternoon tea, welcome drink, free bike hire just some of the perks along with spotless rooms, luxurious single bathrooms! Loved it so much I'm going for a week next year! I really should get commission as I've done nothing but go on about it since I stayed!

Attachments

• IMG_20220430_122734.jpg
    IMG_20220430_122734.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 75
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I started in Porto in May and stayed in House of Sandeman Hostel, unfortunately it has ruined all other hostels for me as it was AMAZING! Luxury at €15 per night, breakfast, afternoon tea, welcome drink, free bike hire just some of the perks along with spotless rooms, luxurious single bathrooms! Loved it so much I'm going for a week next year! I really should get commission as I've done nothing but go on about it since I stayed!

Attachments

• IMG_20220430_122957.jpg
    IMG_20220430_122957.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20220430_123001.jpg
    IMG_20220430_123001.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20220430_122854.jpg
    IMG_20220430_122854.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20220430_122746.jpg
    IMG_20220430_122746.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20220430_122836.jpg
    IMG_20220430_122836.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 66
10% of all people calling or emailing to make a reservation never shows up, and to get full some hostels over book by 10% to get full every day.

And it happens sometimes more than 90% shows up and there's a problem having enough beds.

Hardly! We booked a hotel in Paris through booking.com only to be told on arrival that they were completely full and booking.com was continuing to send them guests (much to the hotel's displeasure). If we'd called them directly, we could have avoided a wasted trip.

Hardly! We booked a hotel in Paris through booking.com only to be told on arrival that they were completely full and booking.com was continuing to send them guests (much to the hotel's displeasure). If we'd called them directly, we could have avoided a wasted trip.
If the hotel overbooked they are required to pay for another similar or better hotel if you made the reservation trough booking .com

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If the hotel overbooked they are required to pay for another similar or better hotel if you made the reservation trough booking .com
But that's the point - the hotel didn't overbook. Booking.com continued to send them bookings even though the hotel indicated they were full. I'll be booking directly from now on.

I've had a look at the hostels available in porto and thanks for all the advice and recommendations. On reflection I'll probably just keep my reservation for the albergue do peregrino although I did check the availability for the cats porto. The a.d p. Is a bit out from the cathedral but I arrive in porto early so I have plenty of time to explore.

Thanks again

A selection of Camino Jewellery

So, I think that you are saying that if you book on berking.com and then arrive late at your lodging, which has pre-booked more beds than they have, that the owners of the lodging will throw out someone who arrived before you so that they can fulfill the obligation to berking.com, is that correct?

So, I think that you are saying that if you book on berking.com and then arrive late at your lodging, which has pre-booked more beds than they have, that the owners of the lodging will throw out someone who arrived before you so that they can fulfill the obligation to berking.com, is that correct?

The hostel or hotel have to pay for an equal or better room if they overbook with Booking .com. That can be quite expensive for them. Let's say Porto is full and the cheapest accommodation is 200-400 euros.

I do not think they kick anyone out if they already checked in (even though I tried it once), but if they over booked they are more likely to keep the room for you if you have a reservation on booking .com whereas otherwise it will be up to you to find something else it it's overbooked. And that can be quite expensive and sometimes not possible. I was in Pamplona recently and arrived late and the cheapest option was 420 euros for one person.

Spending the extra 1 or 2 euros on Booking .com can save you a good amount of money and quite a bit of hassle in the bigger cities when it's busy.

Over booking can also happen by accident because of the Channel Manager software the hostels and hotels are using for managing reservations across different service providers like Booking .com, HostelWorld and the like. There's usually a delay in the updates across the platforms and over bookings can happen that way as well. And hostels not using those platforms sometimes overbook by 10% deliberately to get full and compensate for pilgrims not showing up.

My only experience accommodation wise in Porto was at a hostel, not an albergue. It was clean, nice, reasonably priced and breakfast included and there were a couple of us there for walking the Camino, but for the most part it was younger people staying there for holiday, pub crawls etc.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Although out of the way, the Gallery Hostel was exceptional. There were a variety of travelers staying in this hostel; only two of us were pilgrims, as I recall. Three years ago they offered a glass of wine for those that booked directly. (I did not qualify :) ). Their bathrooms, beds, lockers, breakfast, and common spaces were all super. Only two downfalls that can be common across Porto: slightly out of the way and many stairs.

FYI, if you are looking for hostels in Porto, you might want to avoid Hostel One, depending on your age. It is a youth hostel (although nothing on Booking.com indicated that they had an age limit of 36). We showed up and they informed us that we might want to go elsewhere (I guess we are just not fun enough) and cancelled the reservation. Apparently they sent us a long text message that never loaded for me with the age restriction.
We ended up at Hostel One in Porto and were not aware of the age limit. Thankfully, we just needed a good night's rest, it was late, it was our last night in Porto. We were offered a refund (we preferred to stay) and then we were welcomed as the official "abuelitas". We enjoyed a beer with a couple of the young people hanging around and had a good night's sleep. I looked on their info online and there was no indication anywhere of the age restriction. I was glad they did not turn us away.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The deal with Booking.com versus calling directly is that you have already paid for the bed/room, so they are less likely to sell it to someone else. If you simply have a promise to pay via call/email, it’s far easier for them to justify reselling your bed/room based on their worry that you won’t show up and they’ll use the revenue. If you arrive and they cannot provide, Booking.com and your accommodation will find a suitable replacement for you - that’s a nice little insurance policy for a weary traveler.

As for it being cheaper by contacting directly? While that is occasionally true, I have mostly found that hotels actually quote the same or a higher price when speaking with them then what I can get from Booking.com.

The deal with Booking.com versus calling directly is that you have already paid for the bed/room, so they are less likely to sell it to someone else. If you simply have a promise to pay via call/email, it’s far easier for them to justify reselling your bed/room based on their worry that you won’t show up and they’ll use the revenue. If you arrive and they cannot provide, Booking.com and your accommodation will find a suitable replacement for you - that’s a nice little insurance policy for a weary traveler.

As for it being cheaper by contacting directly? While that is occasionally true, I have mostly found that hotels actually quote the same or a higher price when speaking with them then what I can get from Booking.com.
Thank you for the explanation. I did Camino Frances in Sept/Oct 2019 and I used Booking.com quite a bit. I recall it being easy to use and great to look at all the different options, with the descriptions. I plan to use it again, along with other resources.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You don't always pay up front with booking.com. Most of the rooms I have booked with them are pay on arrival.
Yes, but I do believe that you have stronger protection against the property selling your room to someone else when you use booking.com.

We stayed at the Passenger Hostel right inside the Sao Bento train station last April. They offer both rooms and mixed dorm accommodations. Beds in the dorms look to start at €17 depending on the date. You can book directly from their website. A great location, friendly and helpful staff, clean and modern, with a lovely continental breakfast. Will stay here again on my next trip to Porto.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.