• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Albergues in SJPP.

MickMac

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013
Frances 2016
Frances 2017
Frances 2018
Frances 2018
Ponferrada-Santiago
July 2019
Any advise on the best Alburgues in SJPP had bad experience on last one ie.. (Fell down polished stairs}.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Belairi, across from the Pilgrim's Office, run by friendly Basque couple. Nice albergue, fun communal meal. I volunteered there for two weeks in the spring of 2012 and also stayed as a guest in 2014. Both times, I met guests at dinner who became lifelong friends. It makes a wonderful start to the walk.

I second this suggestion. Excellent albergue. You can and should reserve online.

For me it has always been the municipal albergue. Excitement starts while riding to SJPdP on the train from Bayonne. Once arrived after hoisting my pack, walking uphill and through the old fortress walls to the 39 rue de la Citadelle office of the welcoming Amis du Chemin de St Jacques to obtain my Credential I walk on.

Nearby at 55 is the famous red door of the municipal albergue.
Pushing it open begins each new Camino adventure. Mme Jeannine, the tireless hospitalera greets all and serendipity prevails.

MM

Sorry to hijack the thread, :oops:, but does one need to book the albergues in St. Jean? I'm planning to stay one or two nights (depending on what time I can arrive) in St Jean before heading out. I like the thought of arriving, getting my Credential and finding a room - basically starting my Camino with trust that I will have somewhere to sleep. I am planning to fly from Canada on the 1st of July and then arriving around the 2nd or 3rd in St. Jean, depending on travel arrangements. Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sorry to hijack the thread, :oops:, but does one need to book the albergues in St. Jean? I'm planning to stay one or two nights (depending on what time I can arrive) in St Jean before heading out. I like the thought of arriving, getting my Credential and finding a room - basically starting my Camino with trust that I will have somewhere to sleep. I am planning to fly from Canada on the 1st of July and then arriving around the 2nd or 3rd in St. Jean, depending on travel arrangements. Thanks!

Personally, in July during a Holy Year of Mercy, I would book SJPP.

You do need to book ahead at Beilari (correct spelling this time!) - and the dinner is part of the price and is part of the whole experience (http://www.beilari.info/en). Also you need to reserve ahead at Orisson (www.refuge-orisson.com/en/), only 8km up the steep road at the beginning of the Pyrenees.
If 8km (~3hrs walk) seems too short, on your second day, you could explore St. Jean in the morning, have a light lunch, then head up the mountain to Orisson and enjoy the rest of the afternoon on the deck overlooking the valley with your favourite beverage and meet more new friends. I was happy to spend the extra time at Orisson because I felt like I was really in the Pyrenees for a while.
Walking from St. Jean to Roncesvalles on your first day is difficult and you are more prone to injuries from walking too far, too fast with a heavy pack. Accommodations at the beginning and at the end of the Camino Frances are much more expensive than the other 95% of it, but I think you get good value for your money.

Last edited:
You can always 'wing it". When you arrive on SJPdP go to the Pilgrims' office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle. They can provide you with a Credential and on site lodging assistance. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. In season the pilgrims office is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. They keep up to the minute lists of ALL available space throughout the SJPdP area, both pilgrim albergues as well as tourist accommodation.

MM

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks everyone, I know I have to book Orisson, but I wasn't sure about SJPdP. I may book Beilari too. I just have to wait until I have my flights finalized. Thanks again for all your help. :)

Last Camino I stayed at Maison Kaserna in SJPdP. It was nice, clean place. I think I paid about 20 euros but that included a communal dinner and breakfast in the morning. The hospitalero was a cool old guy and I remember in the morning at breakfast we all sang "Ultreia" before we left. That was memorable for sure.
My first Camino I stayed at the Central Hotel the first night and a private albergue Maison Esponda my second night. The second Camino I stayed in the municipal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved the Kaserna too, it was brand new when I stayed there and the couple of French hospitaleros were wonderful.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Beilari made for a perfect start for my Camino last April. Very positive vibes. They are good about responding to inquiries as well. I enjoyed by stay the next night at Orisson too. They can be uneven in how well they respond to email. I just sent my payment by Paypal and hoped for the best. When I arrived my name was on the list and it worked out fine.

Can't recommend Beilari enough. Spent 4 nights there after a fall which left me with a prolapsed spinal disc. I could only move using a chair as a walking frame. Nothing but warmth and compassion from Joxelu, Jakline and my fellow pilgrims. A very special place at a very difficult and scary time.

You do need to book ahead at Beilari (correct spelling this time!) - and the dinner is part of the price and is part of the whole experience (http://www.beilari.info/en). Also you need to reserve ahead at Orisson (www.refuge-orisson.com/en/), only 8km up the steep road at the beginning of the Pyrenees.
If 8km (~3hrs walk) seems too short, on your second day, you could explore St. Jean in the morning, have a light lunch, then head up the mountain to Orisson and enjoy the rest of the afternoon on the deck overlooking the valley with your favourite beverage and meet more new friends. I was happy to spend the extra time at Orisson because I felt like I was really in the Pyrenees for a while.
Walking from St. Jean to Roncesvalles on your first day is difficult and you are more prone to injuries from walking too far, too fast with a heavy pack. Accommodations at the beginning and at the end of the Camino Frances are much more expensive than the other 95% of it, but I think you get good value for your money.[/QUOTE
Great tip. I was wondering how you can walk through the Pyrenees in a day. This is a great way to saviour the place and really take it in by stopping and being still for a decent amount of time before heading out the next day

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just to be different, I disliked the Beilari found it intrusive and
found vegetarian meal poor.
This was on my second camino after all the reviews on this site expected more.
It seems like sacrlige but I stll did not catch that invisible ball they threw about at meal time.
For the price I expected much more. Sorry to all you beilari fans but this was what I found, not a spiritual experience for me, I found that as I crossed the Pyrenees.

Buen Camino

Note the dates of first post ?

Had a great evening at Beilari last year...until the professional Aussie snorer in the bunk below me fell asleep! Earplugs have not been made that could have muffled the sound to an acceptable level

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Try bringing your barge pole next time to prod the snorer.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Fly Ryan air no extra charge for barge poles .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Our Michael O,leary would not do that he is environmentally friendly.
As Michael would say. Slan

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back