• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Albergues on CF from COVID/2020 or 2021 Experience?

Aloha From Kauai

A Lifetime of Journeys
Time of past OR future Camino
April 3rd - June 3rd, 2022
I would love to hear your recommendations on what you felt were the best albergues on the CF. Especially those that have great uniqueness, friendliness, comfort, or quaintness, or beauty. So many have come and gone that I have marked over the years that I would want to experience, particularly more now as the result of COVID. However, as they say, where one door closes (in this case literally) another opens.

Mahalo Nui for your thoughts!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Aah, it’s a sweet question. And one asked fairly often. The search facility will take you to all sorts of answers.
My answer, as ever, is that the very best Albergue on any Camino at any time is the one where I lay my weary, grateful, body down this night or any other. The best Albergue; the best bar/restaurant/sleeping bag/hiking boots/shoes/cafe-con-leche and all the rest is just stuff

Aah, it’s a sweet question. And one asked fairly often. The search facility will take you to all sorts of answers.
My answer, as ever, is that the very best Albergue on any Camino at any time is the one where I lay my weary, grateful, body down this night or any other. The best Albergue; the best bar/restaurant/sleeping bag/hiking boots/shoes/cafe-con-leche and all the rest is just stuff
Exactly! :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For comfort you can't beat Albergue La Finca in PoblaciĂłn de Campos, which is 4 km past FrĂłmista. Each bunk is like a tiny room, with mini staircases to access the upper bunks.
They offer a communal pilgrim dinner at the restaurant there, and free use of the washing machine.
20210812_061713.jpg

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Without a doubt, Casa Susi in Trabedelo

Tosantos. The heart of the Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Have a look at this downloadpage of the Dutch Confraternity. On top you ca change language to English. In the Spanish part there is a "A selection of favorite albergues Camino Francés" from 2019.

Copied from Sylvia on American Pilgrims webpage:
CAMINO FRANCES
People often ask me for a list of my favourite albergues on the Camino Frances.
A few years ago I asked the question on a Camino Forum:
"Which were the10 albergues where you felt that you had experienced the soul of the Camino?"
From the hundreds of replies I compiled a Top 10 list. I was surprised to find that very few of the modern, upmarket, ultra-comfortable hostals made it to their top 10. These humble, mostly basic albergues might be in the minority but they need to be supported and preserved for pilgrims looking for a traditional experience.
  1. Beilari – St Jean Pied de Port: Private: wonderful start with caring owners, communal meals and blessing. Book this one ahead
  2. Grañon: sleep on mattresses in the bell tower of a church, sing for your supper, pilgrim blessing, no need for a credencial (Open all year) Donativo (No reservations)
  3. Tosantos: sleep on mattresses - pilgrim blessing in the attic chapel – pray for pilgrims who have left a prayer request, communal supper. Donativo (No reservations)
  4. Arroyo San Bol: 1000yr old medicinal spring at the back, fantastic communal dinner. (Open April – mid October) Book a bed
  5. Convento San Anton: magical, basic albergue in the ruins of the San Anton convent, no electricity, hot water or Wifi Communal meal, Donativo (Open to end of September) (No reservations)
  6. Hospital San Nicolas: sleep in the loft of a restored church – communal meal, pilgrim blessing includes washing of pilgrims’ feet (late June to mid-September) (No reservations)
  7. Bercianos: ancient straw and mud house, watch the sunset before being allowed to have a communal dinner. Donativo
  8. Rabanal del Camino: Albergue Gaucelmo, beautiful CSJ of UK albergue, afternoon tea, (only negative mentioned was that pilgrims can’t send backpacks to them) donativo. (No reservations)
  9. Manjarin: (Not for everyone but I’ve stayed there twice and loved it.) Atmospheric refuge run by Tomas the Templar; basic, no running water, electricity or proper toilet. Sleep in a stone barn on mattresses. Stay for the Templar blessing and ceremony at 11am. Donativo. (No reservations)
  10. Villafranca del Bierzo: Ave Fenix run by the Jato family for almost 30 years – Jesus Jato is a healer. (Open all year) Can book ahead €10 with b/fast €17 with DBB
  11. Ruitelin: Gregorian chants, Shiatsu massage, healing - Book ahed
  12. San Xulian: Family run, classical music, Shiatsu massage and great food. Book ahead.

Los Tres Abetos in ArzĂşa. I stayed last October, all alone, in this new, tasteful super-clean establishment. Just across the road when you hit the main road. Run by a delightful Swiss couple. Fab-u-lous! Restaurant recommendation was also tops...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I thought that Susi . unfortunately, had to close?
Not as far as I know! I had a chat with her in September and though they were closed during lockdown, they are open now. I recently saw a FB post about them accepting prebooked groups this winter. There is a gofundme page for donations to get the roof fixed as well so things are looking up.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back