• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Albergues?

ScottRD

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to Walk Camino De Santiago (French Way)
Hi! I remember seeing a pdf list somewhere of the favorite Albergues but can't seem to find it anymore :S

Anyone have the link? Also, ones to avoid?

Leaving in 9 days! First timer!

Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello Scott,

I was just looking for albergues recommendation for the Camino Frances. I clicked on your link which did bring me to another page but there is no list, any ideas where I might find the pdf?

Thank you
Penelope

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello Scott,

I was just looking for albergues recommendation for the Camino Frances. I clicked on your link which did bring me to another page but there is no list, any ideas where I might find the pdf?

Thank you
Penelope

The link takes you to the correct page. The list is a PDF file. There is an orangish button to click labeled 'download'; it sits above and to the left on the page.

The link takes you to the correct page. The list is a PDF file. There is an orangish button to click labeled 'download'; it sits above and to the left on the page.
Excellent, thankyou so much for the very clear instructions to the download button, I completely missed this! I had already planned my route but after seeing these great recommendations I feel I must amend my stages so as that I can take advantage of these. Many thanks Penelope

I read somewhere that it’s best to stay either the stop before or after the one in the guides books as they are quieter. Yesterday we were on our 4 stage Pamplona to Obanos, everyone I spoke to that day we’re going to Puente de la Reina which is 2 km further than Obanos. We stayed in the Albergue Atseden in Obanos, it is right on the Camino, WHAT A JEWEL! We are so happy we stayed here. It is a modern purpose built Albergue Sleeping 12 people in a dormitory, every set of bunks has a curtain which makes it ver private. There were only five pilgrims that night!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Uterga before Obanos and Chirauqui after Puente would have been similar experiences. In Leon I would recommend stopping after the city at La Virgen, then taking the bus back into town to see the Cathedral and have dinner. It costs a bit more than 1 Euro per direction, and runs every thirty minutes.

I used the "best albergue" list for many of my accommodations this spring, and every one I stayed at was excellent. They are on that list for a reason.

But I also made a point of mixing up the kinds of places I stayed, private, municipal, parochial, association, large dorms, small 2-bunk rooms, the big towns, the non-descript villages that so many others walked right through.

I loved the variety, and it really enhanced my pilgrimage. In the end I decided the parochials were my favorites, even though they were often far more modest than the others. But I found a particular vibe about them that was special.

So the big, cavernous, room full of bunks at the Samos Monastery was perfect, starting with the warm welcome from the volunteer hospitalero, and evoking in me a sense of what it must have been like to walk the Camino decades ago.

And it made me appreciate all the more all the up-to-date amenities, style and class of the wonderful Las Cassona de Sarria the next night! I recommend them both.

Enjoy!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.