• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best ALSA bus seating Madrid to Burgos May 25th

Time of past OR future Camino
Francis SJPDP-SDC (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017) , Norte 2018
Pilgrim Office 2018, Hospitalero Acebo 2019
Next week Pat and re start our latest Camino from where we left off last fall (Burgos). I am on the ALSA site to buy our tickets Madrid to Burgos and they have us pre selected in seats 29 and 30. These are on the right side and right in front of an open space which is behind us. The open space looks to be about two seats worth of area. Just wondering if these seats are ok and what is the open space behind us? Suggestions on which seats to change too based on your experience? Thank you all kindly.
Ed

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Next week Pat and re start our latest Camino from where we left off last fall (Burgos). I am on the ALSA site to buy our tickets Madrid to Burgos and they have us pre selected in seats 29 and 30. These are on the right side and right in front of an open space which is behind us. The open space looks to be about two seats worth of area. Just wondering if these seats are ok and what is the open space behind us? Suggestions on which seats to change too based on your experience? Thank you all kindly.
Ed

From what I can recall, this is either an exit or a toilet (some of the buses have toilets).

I took the bus from Madrid to Burgos a couple of years ago and wouldn't consider any particular seats to be better than the others. It was a very comfortable ride and only took 2.5 hours.

On the other hand, if I was hoping to sleep on the bus, I probably wouldn't want a seat close to a toilet.

Thanks NualaOC. We arrive into MAD at 0910 and there is a bus leaving T-4 at 1115. Seems that we should be able to get our bag, clear customs and then get over to T-4 in time to catch this one?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks NualaOC. We arrive into MAD at 0910 and there is a bus leaving T-4 at 1115. Seems that we should be able to get our bag, clear customs and then get over to T-4 in time to catch this one?
That should be plenty of time- with the usual caveats about flight delays, immigration queues etc. There are regular free buses between the various terminals. From what I can recall, the Alsa buses may depart from a different level than the airport buses, so just go inside T4 when you arrive and follow the signs (or ask for directions).

At the Alsa bus area, it can be hard to figure out where your bus will stop. I remember that we kept wondering if we were in the right place, but then our bus arrived, bang on time. We just showed our booking details and the driver checked off our names. It was super-efficient.

Buen Camino to you both!

Thank you again NualaOC. Last September we took the Tren from MAD to Pamplona then the bus from Burgos back to MAD. The bus seemed to be so much easier. It was very difficult figuring how to get out train ticket on the Renfe web site but I did finally figure it out. Should have been easier. Alsa seems to have a very easy web site to get your bus tickets.

Ed
@HalfDomeOrBust:
From my fairly recent experience on Alsa buses, I would say that that space is probably for the rear exit. Another thing to consider is keeping an eye on your backpacks. If you can leave them on the side of the bus on which you are seated, you can keep an eye on them if there are any brief stops before you get to Burgos. A previous poster mentioned that her/his pack was taken out from under the bus at an interim stop and would have been left behind if not rescued. I don't think that passengers are expected to take their backpacks on the bus. Buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@HalfDomeOrBust:
From my fairly recent experience on Alsa buses, I would say that that space is probably for the rear exit. Another thing to consider is keeping an eye on your backpacks. If you can leave them on the side of the bus on which you are seated, you can keep an eye on them if there are any brief stops before you get to Burgos. A previous poster mentioned that her/his pack was taken out from under the bus at an interim stop and would have been left behind if not rescued. I don't think that passengers are expected to take their backpacks on the bus. Buen camino.
Great information!! Thank you and I will heed it. Ed

This is almost what I did in March, HDOB, in terms of timing of arrival and departure, and there was ample time. But. (Big but.) I arrived at T4 and didn't have to clear customs.
And as someone else said though it was a short and comfortable journey.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We strap our backpacks together when putting them into the luggage compartment, which means they're really heavy and cumbersome to remove and so are usually left alone and just pushed aside when other people rummage for their suitcases.

It is VERY smart to ask the bus driver (or luggage person) where to put them, because very often, some of the luggage compartments are for interim stops which means that there's a lot more rummaging than in the compartment for people going to a later stop.

Good idea on strapping the packs together. We would die if someone accidentally took one or both of our packs....

Well, it was easy booking the ALSA bus tickets. Just remember to use Pay Pal instead of your USA credit card...... Buen Camino....Third Camino starts next week!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.