• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best and cheapest transport out of Santiago to Paris

JulianM

Time of past OR future Camino
Currently in Santiago (March 29) and need to go to Paris, France. Does anyone know best + cheapest way out of Santiago from March 30 onwards to Paris?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Try Rome2Rio for various transport possibities. At this moment due to strikes throughout France you might have problems going all the way to Paris by train or even plane. However there usually is a RENFE train which runs from Santiago to Hendaye at the French border.
Good luck and Bon voyage!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Although I am all pro train but with all the strikes going on in France this time I would choose a plane. Lots of flights with Iberia / Vueling tommorow.An average of 300 € but I did not find any trains available.
Alsa bus available at almost 200 € and it takes over more than a day to get there.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Flixbus is "cheap" and the one thing they are good at is starting on schedule if they are beginning a trip from the first terminal on their route. After that you are on your own. I took one of their buses from Toulouse that was supposed to leave around 18h, it had departed early in the morning from Rome and was headed to Madrid, it arrived in Toulouse at 1h and arrived in Bilbao about 10 hours behind schedule, still headed to Madrid.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Currently in Santiago (March 29) and need to go to Paris, France. Does anyone know best + cheapest way out of Santiago from March 30 onwards to Paris?
I just had to book this same trip -- different date. I went around and around trying to find a flight from Santiago, or a train... as directly as possible to Paris. In the end: train to Madrid 48 euros, incl taxes. and easyJet from Madrid to Charles de Gaulle 79 euros. I won't need to add a taxi in Santiago or in Paris.
It is unfortunate that the train no longer goes directly from Santiago to Irun/Hendaye... but there you have it.
I will leave Santiago around 7:30 am, will have about 4.5 hours layover in Madrid -- so plenty of time for getting from Chamartin station to Barajas airport.

I just had to book this same trip -- different date. ...
It is unfortunate that the train no longer goes directly from Santiago to Irun/Hendaye... but there you have it.
I will leave Santiago around 7:30 am, will have about 4.5 hours layover in Madrid -- so plenty of time for getting from Chamartin station to Barajas airport.
PG,
Thanks for your update re the lack of train from SdC to Irun/Hendaye. I am sorry to read that it no loner runs. Glad that you were able to get a flight through Madrid to Paris.

PG,
Thanks for your update re the lack of train from SdC to Irun/Hendaye. I am sorry to read that it no loner runs. Glad that you were able to get a flight through Madrid to Paris.
Yeah... I'm super sad about that absent train too. I rode it about a decade ago to return to Bordeaux and had always thought I could do that again... Alas. There is a way via Vitoria/Guiteriz *but* that route had no listings for when I needed to get to Hendaye and then on to Paris.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We went from SdC to Pamplona by slooow train, stayed overnight, then took train to Bordeaux via Irun/Hendaye (had to walk from one to the other because of difference in rail gauges).
But that was a very long time ago ….

@Perambulating Griffin seems to have the most useful/reliable (in times of rail strikes) suggestion, though that cheap flight to Beauvais looks very tempting 😉

Bon voyage!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back