• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best and lightest cup to use with an immersion heater (electric coil)?

Marbe2

Time of past OR future Camino
2015-2023 walked all or part of CF 11 times
Want to know what kind of cup people carry with their immersion heater? I carry an enamel mug that weighs 8ozs. Can metal cups be used with an immersion heater...for some reason I thought it would blow it out? Is there a liter mug out there? Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I use a plastic cup with some kind of insulating material wrapped around it. I am sure I got the recommendation here on the forum. So long as the hot part of the coil is in water, it won’t melt the plastic.

Is the
I use a plastic cup with some kind of insulating material wrapped around it. I am sure I got the recommendation here on the forum. So long as the hot part of the coil is in water, it won’t melt the plastic.

Is the purpose of the insulating material to keep the water hotter longer or ?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I use a plastic cup as well. Have blown up my last immersion heater. It went with an impressive bang when I switched the electricity on before putting it in the water. Luckily I was able to buy another in Pamploma.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks robo..a couple of these seem to have thick sides and may make it difficult to hook an immersion heater on? Have you used these yourself?

Is the

Yes, I think so.

Thanks robo..a couple of these seem to have thick sides and may make it difficult to hook an immersion heater on? Have you used these yourself?

I made the mistake of hooking my coil on the end of a plastic cup, and it left a burnt indentation in the cup. If I don't hook it on, no problem.

I’ve ruined a few heaters too!

Wise words I learned from @mspath, I think. Never plug in or unplug the coil unless it is immersed in the water.

or, to keep the heat from burning your hands while you hold it!

I am a new member to this club, and have not yet been initiated. However, I have bought the heater, and in my cupboard I found a a mug with a metal inside, plastic outside, and a lid, that weighs 138 g. It fits in the water bottle pouch on the side of my backpack, AND a small bottle fits inside! It was a free branded giveaway.

Life is good.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
or, to keep the heat from burning your hands while you hold it!

I am a new member to this club, and have not yet been initiated. However, I have bought the heater, and in my cupboard I found a a mug with a metal inside, plastic outside, and a lid, that weighs 138 g. It fits in the water bottle pouch on the side of my backpack, AND a small bottle fits inside! It was a free branded giveaway.

Life is good.
C clearly, we will be able to compare our coils and cups in about two and a half months in Almería. My suggestion -- don't bring the lid. :)

The immersion coil is isolated and will work perfectly in a metal cup even if it touch the metal. The coil should be immersed before switching it on.
For our weekend hiking back home we replaced our cups with Sea to Summit X-Mugs. It is made of silicone and will not melt because of heat and it folds up to safe space.
I you want a light weight metal cup then consider the MSR Titan Cup. It only weighs 1.9 oz. (54 g).

Attachments

• X-Mug.jpg
    X-Mug.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 11
  • msr_titancup.jpg
    msr_titancup.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 14
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My coil water heater came from a Darty store in Paris and the dishwasher proof plastic cup was bought many years ago when traveling in Auckland. Whatever cup you use be sure that it will NOT burn your lip!

These simple items can help make your journey so much more comfortable especially in winter when many seasonal restos/bars will be closed.

For many comments/posts from other users see this earlier thread www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/the-electric-coil-changed-my-life-on-the-camino.19167

Happy planning, stay safe and Buen camino!

I personally use the Snow Peak Titanium 450 Mug. In the end, as always, there is no right or wrong when it comes to prefering one material over the other. However I like to recommend it as it feels very nice on the lips, is suitable for all drinks including wine (therefore I dislike plastic ;) and is fairly lightweight at around 67g (2,36 ounces). I also use the single walled version on a stove when walking other routes than caminos, though there is also a double walled version.

https://www.rei.com/product/870073/snow-peak-titanium-single-450-cup

Take care!

'Life Venture' make 2 titanium mugs, one is insulated. Weights are 70gms and 157gms. Folding handles. Available direct from Life Venture and also on Amazon.
We carry the 400ml non-insulated version with a small cork mat to ensure it does not damage the table surface when hot. The coil hangs nicely over the side and the folding handles make the mug easy to pack away.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you all very much for your input. I was concerned that the titanium might overheat the coil. Seems from several sources that that is not the case. I will try the MSR Titanium cup. Though pricey, the 1.9 ounces is very appealing. I read on some hiking blog, that the lip of the cup is only a problem if you fill the cup up to the brim. I will be cautious and find out. Gracias!

Thick sides haven't been a problem. I guess it depends on the heater....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Received the MSR Titanium cups via post. We tried them with immersion heater and they worked fine. Did not need to hold the heater..was just able to hook it on. The cups while expensive are only 1.9 ounces as advertised and the handles work fine. The cup does get hot..but I will make a very light wrap for it. Thrilled!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
What I wouldn’t give for my old aluminum canteen cup with folding handles, only shaped to fit around the bottom of a large water bottle rather than the contours of a canteen.

I use a Sierra cup, once beloved of backpackers and still an essential part of my backpacking gear. It is stainless steel with lip and handle designed not to burn, and weighs about 80g., 3 oz. It can be put directly on a fire or on a heating unit, when available, which is not usually the case for titanium mugs (I have checked, as they are marginally lighter). It is also somewhat wide and shallow in design, so convenient to use as a bowl as well as a cup. I plan to take breakfast foods on my autumn camino Madrid and see that I have something to eat as well as my breakfast coffee. All heated with my immersion heater, of course. Its one disadvantage is the possibility of being in an albergue with a microwave oven but no plastic cups, as it cannot be put in a microwave. On one camino, I loaned my Sierra cup and my spoon to a young man who was sharing a dinner with others but lacked utensils. The spoon and cup served him to scoop out his share of the common pot and eat his dinner. It was thanks to the kindness of the employee of the time that there was a pot to cook in. This is not generally the case in a Xunta albergue.

What I wouldn’t give for my old aluminum canteen cup with folding handles, only shaped to fit around the bottom of a large water bottle rather than the contours of a canteen.
Luckily, I have one (along with a metal canteen from 1943), but I now use my Snowpeak titanium cups.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yeah looks like I’ll end up taking the plunge and buying a Snowpeak or GSI. I just want to make sure I can nest my water bottle in it. I want it for the occasional cuppa and heating some oatmeal for breakfast. Getting close to joining the immersion heater gang.

Yeah looks like I’ll end up taking the plunge and buying a Snowpeak or GSI. I just want to make sure I can nest my water bottle in it. I want it for the occasional cuppa and heating some oatmeal for breakfast. Getting close to joining the immersion heater gang.

I've got a Snow Peak 450 ml cup (folding handles) and both my small Nalgene bottle and a 1 liter Smartwater bottle fit into it.

As to cooking, it's ideal for heating water for coffee, rice, oatmeal (and even tea). I usually fill mine halfway with water, heat it until it's boiling, then add instant coffee (for that "gotta have a cup o' joe like right freakin' now!" moment).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.