• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best and reliable way to get to Santiago airport for early morning flight

WldWil

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 SJPDP - Halfway
2016 Fromista - The other half
I manage to get an airline ticket into Madrid and return tick from Santiago for the same price as a round trip through Madrid. Now That I leave in less than two months a couple things occurred to me.

My flight out of Santiago is 6:45 am. My questions are:
• How early to get to the airport.
• The best and reliable way to get there on time.

I get concerned that some transportation is not always quite on time.

Thanks,
Bill

A selection of Camino Jewellery
bill: taxi is a flat rate from downtown, my memory is about e25. you will beat the traffic and no stops. have it set by your lodging the nite prior. enjoy.

Sounds good. I did almost 300 miles last year from SJPP and it seemed that some places were rather laid back in scheduling.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The buses run from 6am so no good for you, I had a 10am flight a couple of weeks ago and the airport wasn't busy on a Wednesday.

I fly out on a Tuesday. Not sure if I should be 90 minutes early.

I have collapsable carbon poles with screw in rubber tips I would like to try carrying on, but have a backup bag if I need to check and would need time for that. Last year things went smooth, but always trying to prepare.

I manage to get an airline ticket into Madrid and return tick from Santiago for the same price as a round trip through Madrid. Now That I leave in less than two months a couple things occurred to me.

Thanks,
Bill
Hi Bill , normally 1 to 2 hours before flight departure I think . Or you can ask the airline about the time you have to be there.
The taxi will cost you about €25,-
Wish you well, Peter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Like you I had an early flight from Sanitago de Compostella last October. The hospitalera helped me reserve a taxi the night before and the next morning the taxi was waiting for me outside when I left the albergue about 5:00am and cost me 21 euro.

Definitely taxi. Its pricier than public transport, but that early in the morning, it is probably your only real choice. Taxi drivers in Santiago are good - they spend a lot of time ferrying people to and from the airport and so on. They know the drill.

I agree with a taxi. I paid 22 Euros in 2012 from a hotel outside the city limits. He was there at the time booked the night before.
Very smooth operation. As someone previously said the drivers know their way around and are used to the procedure at the airport.
The airport itself is small and staff are friendly. Not very busy especially early morning. They opened the gates only 30 mins. before my flight.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That early in the morning, a taxi for sure.
I've flown out of Santiago airport three times. I got there every time about two hours early. I found it to be a good airport and never had any problems there.

The first bus starts its run at 0600 and gets to the airport at 0645.

Your only choice is taxi.

......and it seemed that some places were rather laid back in scheduling.
I went to the bus stop in Santiago at the stipulated time to get the bus to the airport, only to find that the entire road was blocked to traffic as there was a demonstration coming through. I, and many others were getting increasingly concerned about how we would get to the airport. We need not have worried as the bus driver suddenly appeared and led all of us to his bus which he had parked around the corner. They weren't 'laid back' that day. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Thanks,
Bill
My flight was a little earlier I ordered a taxi, and got there 90 minutes before flight, had time for breakfast, all good, buen Camimo!

I fly out on a Tuesday. Not sure if I should be 90 minutes early.

I have collapsable carbon poles with screw in rubber tips I would like to try carrying on, but have a backup bag if I need to check and would need time for that. Last year things went smooth, but always trying to prepare.
When you check in at Ryan Airlines counter, tell them you have poles and they will ship them for free. If you try to go through security, they will send you back to the counter to have them shipped. Place them in some kind of wrapper so as not to have their tape sticking to your poles in Madrid when you receive them from baggage claim. I just went through the routine and this info will save you the nightmare of returning to the counter.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Gary, will they let you through Madrid then with the poles?

We put our poles back in our backpacks and had no issues with Norwegian Airlines back to Oakland, CA. The poles arrived on the carousal in Madrid, but had some trouble with the sticky tape they used to keep them together.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back