• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best App for Variante Espiritual ?

MaxHelado

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués via Variante Espiritual 2022
Anyone walked the Variante and used a super App?
I am not worried about accommodation as I’ve booked ahead but I very much want to read about the area I am walking through.
Not getting lost would be a bonus!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Getting lost in the area is not in issue. Just follow the waymarkers.
there is not much to read about the area. It is an empty area very rural and partly agricultural.. Here and there a village.
the biggest place next to Pontevedra is Vilagarcía but if you take the boat you won’t see nothing from this place. By the way it is not very interesting. It is good for shopping if you live around.

On the boat or walking to Padrón you will pass the village of Catoira where long time ago the Vikings stayed for a while. There still are some replica vikingships You will see them from the boat.. I thought they organise a Viking festival there every year in summertime.

the southern part is more interesting, anyway for tourists.
the beaches of Sanxenxo and o Groove are very nice but touristical.
if you like to play golf , close to Armenteira is a very nice golfplace. We played there once and stayed on a campingsite in Sanxenxo . After a week or so we had seen everything and went on to a penninsular north of this area and that was more interesting .
From there we easily could reach Finistère and Murxia and passed more interesting old towns and villages.

my opinion about the Variante Espiritual is that it has nothing to do with the caminho.
I think that there were some clever local bussinessmen who saw the pilgrims passing by with a bagfull of money and thought “ how can we get this “bagfull of mon..
eh ... the pilgrim here ? . We paint some waymarkers , take care that he or she can eat and drink something and have a bed to sleep and once he or she is in the western part how can we get them on the way back to Santiago after spending some money , because it is quite a detour.
They organised a boattour to get the pilgrims on the caminho again
In the beginning it was a Zodiac boat from the Coast Guard It costed I thought 8 € per person by then. They had a nice stamp and sailed you with 7 other people with an unpleasant and frightning speed , bumping on the seawaves and freezing from coldth to Pontecessures but not before they went to the musselbanks, stopping there and lifting a net full of clams out of the water to show you how exiting life can be.

They thought about an appealing name, el Variante Spiritual del Caminho Português para Santiago de Compostela and they created a nice leaflet with information.
And a YouTube video , Placed a big sign 3 kms outside Pontevedra to access the area and voilá ..a new part of the the caminho Portugûes was born

sorry but these are my two cents
I walked several times , once the Variante Espiritual but to me it was an enormous disappointment The last time I just went on the central route from Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis .Leaving the Variante Spiritual for what it was.
Albertinho,
Many thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed addition to this thread.
I guess you're not working for the Galician tourist board?
I was really looking forward to my experience of the Variante but now..........not so much!

I am not worried about accommodation as I’ve booked ahead but I very much want to read about the area I am walking through.

Getting lost would be quite difficult; there are yellow arrows everywhere.
I can't help you with the app, because I haven't used any.

You can read a little bit about the route here. If that's the route you want to do, don't let anyone discourage you. For many, this is the highlight of their Caminos. Most of the places Albertinho mentions are not even on this route, just nearby. Combarro, which is on the route, after Pontevedra, is a beautiful fishing village. The route of stone and water (Ruta da Pedra e da Auga), after Armenteira is very beautiful too. Just go for it! And Enjoy.

Likewise, I wouldn’t be discouraged. I’ve walked this route twice and it’s been superb both times. Sample highlights have been; lunch by the water in the centre of old Combarro; the views back over the bay on the climb to Armenteira; seeing wild horses including a cute foal in the woods; staying at and attending mass at the monastery in Armenteira; the descent through the route of stone and water; and a fantastic sea food meal washed down with Albariño and then Rioja in Vilanova. Can’t wait to go back a third time 😀

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Getting lost would be quite difficult; there are yellow arrows everywhere.
I can't help you with the app, because I haven't used any.

You can read a little bit about the route here. If that's the route you want to do, don't let anyone discourage you. For many, this is the highlight of their Caminos. Most of the places Albertinho mentions are not even on this route, just nearby. Combarro, which is on the route, after Pontevedra, is a beautiful fishing village. The route of stone and water (Ruta da Pedra e da Auga), after Armenteira is very beautiful too. Just go for it! And Enjoy.
Great post. I will be walking in September and everything I have read about the V E makes me want to do it slowly and see as much as possible. I will split the first stage in two and stop at Combarro but want to split the second stage. I know there is a hotel after 8K but it doesn't have prices on it's website. Does anyone know of anywhere else to stay on this stage?

The issue of what's-so-spiritual-about-the-spiritual variant is an interesting one and very complicated (there's the whole story of Father Sarmiento, for example). But I'll throw in this one point: the journey by boat up the Ulla River has been associated, since medieval times, with the St. James Translatio story. This Catholic tradition relates how St. James' body, after his martyrdom, was transported by angels from Palestine to Spain. As I wrote in my own book, these angels "helped propel the craft across the Mediterranean and through the Gibraltar straits to the Galician coast, reaching the Roman port of Iria Flavia, now identified with the modern Spanish city of Padrón.

"The people who designed the Spiritual Variant were able to connect the modern boat ride from Vilanova de Arousa to Pontecesures with the Translatio because the Ulla River passage is the only way a vessel could reach Iria Flavia.* Also worthy of note: Catholic tradition in the Middle Ages identified the Iria Flavia/Padrón area as the starting point of St. James’ missionary work in Spain. The Santiaguino do Monte shrine on Mt. San Gregorio, overlooking Padrón, is celebrated as the spot where he first began preaching."

Viewed from this angle, you can argue that the Spiritual Variant trail incorporates a very key element in the spiritual tradition surrounding St. James that led to the development of the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela in the first place. Now, it's also true that the Armenteira Monastery has nothing to do with the St. James story, but a lot of people still find its grounds, chapel and cloisters to be a wonderful place for spiritual reflection.

* Iria Flavia was situated a kilometer or so inland from the modern port city of Padrón. Silting from the river and landfill helped build up Iria Flavia’s marshy wharf area, which grew into the riverfront urban municipality now known as Padrón.

Great post. I will be walking in September and everything I have read about the V E makes me want to do it slowly and see as much as possible. I will split the first stage in two and stop at Combarro but want to split the second stage. I know there is a hotel after 8K but it doesn't have prices on it's website. Does anyone know of anywhere else to stay on this stage?
I have researched this route extensively for clients going in May. I myself am hoping to also go, but a week behind them. They are walking generally 10-15km a day, so all stages are broken up.
They have booked to stay at the monastery in Armenteira, and then they will stay at Ribadumia (a bit off the track) at Hostal Santa Baia - available on Booking.com NOT TO BE CONFUSED with Hotel Playa Santa Baia in Vigo

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have researched this route extensively for clients going in May. I myself am hoping to also go, but a week behind them. They are walking generally 10-15km a day, so all stages are broken up.
They have booked to stay at the monastery in Armenteira, and then they will stay at Ribadumia (a bit off the track) at Hostal Santa Baia - available on Booking.com NOT TO BE CONFUSED with Hotel Playa Santa Baia in Vigo

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Please don't let one bad review keep you from wanting to walk this way. There are so many good things said about the Variante. I think it's a two or three day walk and I am planning to walk the Spiritual Variante this Fall, God willing of course. :)

Do you know of Efren Gonzalez? He has amazing vlogs on his Camino experiences. I have copied two links from his vlog of the Spiritual Variante. By viewing this it might spark some excitement to go on this great adventure. Go with your gut, the choice is yours.

Buen Camino!! :)

If that's the route you want to do, don't let anyone discourage you. For many, this is the highlight of their Caminos. Most of the places Albertinho mentions are not even on this route, just nearby. Combarro, which is on the route
Thanks Maria and others for speaking of your experiences. I have heard from at least 5 or 6 other pilgrims who felt it was one of the prettiest and most tranquil few days they spent on any Camino. I didn't walk it the first time but intend to walk the next time I do the CP.

Albertinho,
Many thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed addition to this thread.
I was really looking forward to my experience of the Variante but now..........not so much!
My own view is that the Variant Espiritual has been one of the most beautiful and uplifting sections of any Camino that I have walked, and would highly recommend taking this route.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you all for your kind comments. My spirit has been restored.

Albertinho is, of course, perfectly correct that he has a right to express his opinion and how lucky we are that we can still do that. I hope I do not share his (in my opinion) negative view of the Espiritual by the time I reach Santiago and, reading other's posts, I doubt that I will.

But Albertinho did raise another point which is the spirituality of the Espiritual and, as I started this thread, I thought I would come clean on this topic.

I am not a religious person.
There. I've said it.
It does not matter to me if the credentials of the Variante Espiritual are less solid than those of other routes.

I am not a walker but over the last few months I have ventured out with a backpack, my two dogs and my wonderful wife who will be with me on the Camino (the backpack and my wife - not the dogs).
I have discovered parts of my home county in the UK which I have never seen before. I have walked through woodlands and by seas and sometimes, sitting on a log drinking tea from my Thermos, I am very aware that this world is bigger and more beautiful and more important that I am. And when I am gone this will still be here.

That is my spirituality and I will take it with me on the Variante.

Please don't let one bad review keep you from wanting to walk this way. There are so many good things said about the Variante. I think it's a two or three day walk and I am planning to walk the Spiritual Variante this Fall, God willing of course. :)

Do you know of Efren Gonzalez? He has amazing vlogs on his Camino experiences. I have copied two links from his vlog of the Spiritual Variante. By viewing this it might spark some excitement to go on this great adventure. Go with your gut, the choice is yours.

I had never heard of Efren but I have just watched the two videos.
Fabulous!

Getting lost in the area is not in issue. Just follow the waymarkers.
there is not much to read about the area. It is an empty area very rural and partly agricultural.. Here and there a village.
the biggest place next to Pontevedra is Vilagarcía but if you take the boat you won’t see nothing from this place. It is good for shopping if you live around.

On the boat or walking to Padrón you will pass the village of Catoira where long time ago the Vikings stayed for a while. There still are some replica vikingships You will see them from the boat.. I thought they organise a Viking festival there every year in summertime.

the southern part is more interesting, anyway for tourists.
the beaches of Sanxenxo and o Groove are very nice but touristical.
if you like to play golf , close to the monastery of Armenteira is a very nice golfplace. We played there once and stayed on a campingsite in Sanxenxo . After a week or so we had seen everything and went on to a penninsular north of this area .
From there we easily could reach Finistère and Murxia and passed interesting old towns and villages.

my opinion about the Variante Espiritual is that it has nothing to do with the caminho.
I think that there were some local bussinessmen who saw the pilgrims passing by with a bagfull of money and thought “ how can we get this “bagfull of mon..
eh ... pilgrim here ? . We paint some waymarkers , take care that he or she can eat and drink something and has a bed to sleep and once he or she is in the western part how can we get them on the way back to Santiago , because it is quite a detour.
They organised a boattour to get the pilgrims on the caminho again
In the beginning it was a Zodiac boat from the Coast Guard It costed I thought 8 € per person by then. They had a nice stamp and sailed you with 7 other people with an unpleasant and frightning speed , bumping on the seawaves and freezing from coldth to Pontecessures but not before they went to the musselbanks, stopping there and lifting a net full of clams out of the water to show you how exiting life can be.

They thought about an appealing name, el Variante Spiritual del Caminho Português para Santiago de Compostela and they created a nice leaflet with information.
And a YouTube video , Placed a big sign 3 kms outside Pontevedra to access the area and voilá ..a new part of the the caminho Portugûes was born
I thought this a very cynical view of this variant. I believe that this was the route taken with the remains of St James relics or suchlike! And anyway, isint this how many camino trails began. I also believe it is a beautiful walk thru here. I will let u know after late May when ive completed Camino Portugeasa from Lisbon. Bon camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Albertinho,
I wouldnt take too much notice if that reply. Ive read so many positive reviews that im looking forward to this variant.

It's entirely possible for both these views of this route to be true. I have walked this way, i really enjoyed it, it was a quiet variante thru a beautiful area. I would totally recommend it if you have time.
But i don't honestly believe it is a real camino route, i don't feel there is any historical resonance with the Camino as a pilgrimage route to Santiago.

Still a lovely walk though.

But i don't honestly believe it is a real camino route, i don't feel there is any historical resonance with the Camino as a pilgrimage route to Santiago.

Still a lovely walk though.
This is true. Except for the boat ride's link to the Translatio of St. James, the rest of the modern Spiritual Variant actually hangs its hat on the story of one (that's ONE) 18th century pilgrim, Father Martin Sarmiento, who made a circuit of the O Salnés region in 1745. His route took him through the towns of Poio, Sanxenxo, O Grove, Meaño, Cambados, A Illa de Arousa, Vilanova de Arousa, Vilagarcía de Arousa, Catoira, Valga and Pontecesures. From there, he continued to Santiago de Compostela and, later, explored the most northern areas of Galicia around A Coruña and Ferrol.
Note that Father Sarmiento did not include Armenteira or the Ruta da Pedra e da Auga in his itinerary. In fact, half the Spiritual Variant, from Combarro to Vilanova de Arousa, has nothing to do with either the Translatio or Father Sarmiento. And that's the most scenic part.
The authorities in O Salnés recently recognized a second trail, the Ruta Padre Sarmiento, that continues around the peninsula from Combarro to Vilanova de Arousa and truly replicates Sarmiento’s journey. This route, however, is not yet approved by the Church for receiving the Compostela.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi there. I am also planning to take this part slowly in September. I have planned and booked as follows:
Combarro - Hotel Stellamaris booking.com
12 km to Armenteria - Moistero de Santa Maria (had to email the nuns and they sent me a confirmation - hospederia@monasteriodearmenteira.es. Single room 40 euros. Restaurants nearby for dinner and they have cookies/coffee in a.m.
11 km (or 14 - I can’t read my writing) to Ribadumia - i emailed oscastanos@ocastanos.es and he (Ruben) confirmed by email 33 euros incl.breakfast. Apparently there is a place where you can do wine tasting nearby- ask for help reserving the ferry from VDA
12.8 km to Villanova de Arousa - A Corticella $26 Cdn. 4 bed dorm booking.com
Hope this helps. 😊 Diane

Thanks so much for posting these videos on this page and a big thank you to Efren Gonzalez for making them. Great quality and brought back some wonderful personal recollections. :)
:)

This is true. Except for the boat ride's link to the Translatio of St. James, the rest of the modern Spiritual Variant actually hangs its hat on the story of one (that's ONE) 18th century pilgrim, Father Martin Sarmiento, who made a circuit of the O Salnés region in 1745. His route took him through the towns of Poio, Sanxenxo, O Grove, Meaño, Cambados, A Illa de Arousa, Vilanova de Arousa, Vilagarcía de Arousa, Catoira, Valga and Pontecesures. From there, he continued to Santiago de Compostela and, later, explored the most northern areas of Galicia around A Coruña and Ferrol.
Note that Father Sarmiento did not include Armenteira or the Ruta da Pedra e da Auga in his itinerary. In fact, half the Spiritual Variant, from Combarro to Vilanova de Arousa, has nothing to do with either the Translatio or Father Sarmiento. And that's the most scenic part.
The authorities in O Salnés recently recognized a second trail, the Ruta Padre Sarmiento, that continues around the peninsula from Combarro to Vilanova de Arousa and truly replicates Sarmiento’s journey. This route, however, is not yet approved by the Church for receiving the Compostela.
Having also walked La Ruta del Padre Sarmiento, providing the starting point for the camino is part of a recognised camino with a starting point further than 100kms from SdeC it would be accepted. So, for instance starting the walk in Pontevedra is too close to SdeC, but starting in Vigo would be giving the 100km+ of required distance.

From Pontevedra, La Ruta del Padre Sarmiento is the same route as the Variant Espiritual until Combarro, when it deviates and follows the coast. It is very well indicated along the way. It is also a stunningly beautiful walk along the coast, which then rejoins the Variant Espiritual shortly before Vilanova de Arousa.

Both are highly recommended, though there is a total lack of albergues on coast part of La Ruta del Padre Sarmiento.

Bon camino !

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Albertinho,
Perhaps the lack of distraction is part of the attraction?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back