• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best app(s) for biking Via de la Plata

dangif123

Time of past OR future Camino
Just finished Portuguese 21.09.2022
Hello fellow peregrinos and peregrinas. Can you recommend the best app for cycling the Camino de la plata from Seville?

Thank you 🙂

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I cycled the VDLP, I used the app Mapy.cz. Maps for the individual regions of Spain can be downloaded for use anywhere. If you open the free app to any section along the route, you’ll see the Camino marked by a blue line with recommended biking routes, which sometimes slightly vary from the Camino, in pink. I found Mapy.cz particularly helpful in navigating through cities plus the gps function always let me know where I was in relation to my route from Sevilla to SdC.

When I cycled the VDLP, I used the app Mapy.cz. Maps for the individual regions of Spain can be downloaded for use anywhere. If you open the free app to any section along the route, you’ll see the Camino marked by a blue line with recommended biking routes, which sometimes slightly vary from the Camino, in pink. I found Mapy.cz particularly helpful in navigating through cities plus the gps function always let me know where I was in relation to my route from Sevilla to SdC.
That’s fantastic thanks so much. 🙏

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello fellow peregrinos and peregrinas. Can you recommend the best app for cycling the Camino de la plata from Seville?

Thank you 🙂
As per Grouse Doctor Mapy.cz is good, maybe Buen Camino which also shows the bike options. Your choice of bike also dictates to some extent the route, the N630 is a good alternative for uphill sections. I recently (April) rode the section from Caceres - Merida on a full-sus and loved it but it could be bit of a slog in the opposite direction. Buen Camino, Richard

As per Grouse Doctor Mapy.cz is good, maybe Buen Camino which also shows the bike options. Your choice of bike also dictates to some extent the route, the N630 is a good alternative for uphill sections. I recently (April) rode the section from Caceres - Merida on a full-sus and loved it but it could be bit of a slog in the opposite direction. Buen Camino, Richard
Thanks for taking the time to reply Richard. Yes bike choice will determine some routes.

Can you recommend the best app for cycling the Camino de la plata from Seville?
There's an app I can use that will do all the hard work? :)

Seriously, I use maybe a dozen apps when I'm away on my bike and not all are cycling specific.

I highly recommend https://cycle.travel/map for route planning. There is an IOS app out and Android is on the way. It is the best bike route planner I have come across in terms of picking quiet, lightly trafficked routes and has a host of useful features specifically for multi-day bike adventures.

You'll want to have a look at the dedicated Camino apps for accommodation etc.

A useful tool is Osmand, not so much for it's bike routing capabilities - it can be erratic - but for the layers and layers of information it contains from gradients to shops to water fountains. It has the advantage of being personalisable and works off-line. A great back up. Although not the easiest to master.

You may want to consider a weather app. The good ones can be tricky to master and be useful.

Google Maps (absolutely NOT for planning routes) has the ability to "save" local maps so that the information on them is available offline. Mark off albergues, shops, interesting things to see, download the map and hey presto! they are on your phone even without a signal.

If using a gps or other journet recording app (Strava, RWGPS) you may be interested in keeping a daily log of your ride. Photos can be added from your phone with the press of a button an with a bit of internet there's a record of your route and all your photos. Both Strava & RWGPS offer this, Strava, at least, on a free sub.

Whatever you choose, it makes good sense to be familiar with how your chosen apps work before you leave. They all have foibles and it's better to know them in advance.

And, as with any routing tool, just because the computer says to go this way doesn't mean that we should! Weather, road works and lots of other things can come in to play. Always a good idea to have a reliable back up. And use some common sense.

Oh! A route is just a line on a map. There's no law that says it has to be followed slavishly!

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There's an app I can use that will do all the hard work? :)

Seriously, I use maybe a dozen apps when I'm away on my bike and not all are cycling specific.

I highly recommend https://cycle.travel/map for route planning. There is an IOS app out and Android is on the way. It is the best bike route planner I have come across in terms of picking quiet, lightly trafficked routes and has a host of useful features specifically for multi-day bike adventures.

You'll want to have a look at the dedicated Camino apps for accommodation etc.

A useful tool is Osmand, not so much for it's bike routing capabilities - it can be erratic - but for the layers and layers of information it contains from gradients to shops to water fountains. It has the advantage of being personalisable and works off-line. A great back up. Although not the easiest to master.

You may want to consider a weather app. The good ones can be tricky to master and be useful.

Google Maps (absolutely NOT for planning routes) has the ability to "save" local maps so that the information on them is available offline. Mark off albergues, shops, interesting things to see, download the map and hey presto! they are on your phone even without a signal.

If using a gps or other journet recording app (Strava, RWGPS) you may be interested in keeping a daily log of your ride. Photos can be added from your phone with the press of a button an with a bit of internet there's a record of your route and all your photos. Both Strava & RWGPS offer this, Strava, at least, on a free sub.

Whatever you choose, it makes good sense to be familiar with how your chosen apps work before you leave. They all have foibles and it's better to know them in advance.

And, as with any routing tool, just because the computer says to go this way doesn't mean that we should! Weather, road works and lots of other things can come in to play. Always a good idea to have a reliable back up. And use some common sense.

Oh! A route is just a line on a map. There's no law that says it has to be followed slavishly!

Buen Camino
Thank you for your detailed response 🙂. I now have plenty of helpful options!

Mainly I’m just looking for something to help me stay on the VDLP and not miss the scenic sections and end up on too many roads…

I’ve walked several caminos but first time for me on a bike - also there are less arrows etc on VDLP I hear, so pre planning more important.

Thanks again.

😎

I’ve walked several caminos but first time for me on a bike
Careful now! You might catch the bug! :)
there are less arrows etc on VDLP I hear, so pre planning more important.
I'd look at it differently..... less arrows means more scope for exploring :)

You may also find some information and lots if inspiration on CGOAB:

Careful now! You might catch the bug! :)

I'd look at it differently..... less arrows means more scope for exploring :)

You may also find some information and lots if inspiration on CGOAB:
Thank you again.

Exploring for me is cycling across a country! While at the same time staying relatively on course to make my booked accommodation for the evening 🙂

I’m biking the plata because I’m not able to take the time off to walk it, and it’s the only one I’ve not completed.

Really appreciate you taking the time 🙏

Thank you for your detailed response 🙂. I now have plenty of helpful options!

Mainly I’m just looking for something to help me stay on the VDLP and not miss the scenic sections and end up on too many roads…

I’ve walked several caminos but first time for me on a bike - also there are less arrows etc on VDLP I hear, so pre planning more important.

Thanks again.

😎
A bit late to this post but.... . Cicerone have a digital or Print guide book to cycling the VdlP which also allows access to the GPX files for all stages. The GPX files include options for on-road and on-camino guidance. This allows a pick and chose approach to routing based on severity of the off road camino routing.

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back