• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best app with maps for the camino frances

GFinch

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2018)
Hi everyone,

Finally after months of planning the time is drawing near. I embark on my very first stretch of the camino in 5 days time. I am feeling apprehensive and wondering if I will be able to do this...My training has not gone according to plan and I am hoping that stamina, good food and the fresh Galician air will be enough to give me wings.

I would like to ask seasoned walkers out there if there is a mobile phone app that they have used to walk the camino that they would recommend? I would like to have a map on my phone and I am hoping that the app will also point out the churches or other places of interest that are near the routes. I will be walking from Sarria to Santiago.

Thank you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I really liked the Editorial Buen Camino app. The app is free, but each route guide costs a few Euros/dollars. The website is in Spanish, but you choose your own language for the app. It has offline mapping which enables you to see where you are on the trail at all times. Or, if you have strayed off the trail you can find the roads to put you back on it. It also lists all the albergues and some pensiones.

A brief reading of the website makes it appear that the app is updated frequently, perhaps even daily. For those who have used this app, does it tend to use a lot of data?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A brief reading of the website makes it appear that the app is updated frequently, perhaps even daily. For those who have used this app, does it tend to use a lot of data?
You download the guides so that you can use them offline.
When you connect via wifi or data the app will update.

Last edited:
I really liked the Editorial Buen Camino app. The app is free, but each route guide costs a few Euros/dollars. The website is in Spanish, but you choose your own language for the app. It has offline mapping which enables you to see where you are on the trail at all times. Or, if you have strayed off the trail you can find the roads to put you back on it. It also lists all the albergues and some pensiones.
Thank you trecile, much appreciated :)

Last year I brought a weighty Camino book but I had also downloaded TrekRight. Day 3, I ditched the book and just used the app which works great without cell service. It has every essential thing you need from distance between towns, albergues, gps, etc. I plan to use it again this year and skip the guide book. I swear, every ounce counts on the Camino and ditching my guide book made all the difference for me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I used TrekRight for my first two Caminos, but I found the Buen Camino app to be superior.

Last year I brought a weighty Camino book but I had also downloaded TrekRight. Day 3, I ditched the book and just used the app which works great without cell service. It has every essential thing you need from distance between towns, albergues, gps, etc. I plan to use it again this year and skip the guide book. I swear, every ounce counts on the Camino and ditching my guide book made all the difference for me.
Thank you for sharing :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi H Richards,

I ended up using the buen camino, I found it very useful. Thanks for sharing :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
AlpineQuest.
Full Version has multiple layers with hiking trails across the world, including the camino(s).

For Windows, there's a Czech app called Mapy.cz which is truly excellent -- if that same app existed for Apple and/or Android, it would certainly be my go-to, if I used such non-Windows devices ; and it would seem that yes it does.

It seems to map every single waymarked pilgrim route, even the most secondary, throughout the whole of Europe, plus what seems like all other officially waymarked hiking routes.

It will be of massive usefulness during my forthcoming crazy home-to-home pilgrimage in the first half of 2019 ...

Oh, and it's 100% free, at least in Windows ...

My mobile version is in Czech, but the desktop is in English, and I'd suspect that the Android and Apple mobile versions have also been made into English. But the Czech doesn't matter, because the essential map function is completely language-free, relying on map icons to provide the user with the desired info, including locations of churches and monuments and other notable sights ...

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.