• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Apps for Camino Frances?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The language barrier can be a real isolator. So if you ever meet someone from a country that cannot speak to anyone just put your device down & let them chose their language from google translate. You will be amazed even if the translation is not perfect.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On my most recent Camino, from Madrid, I found the following apps to be valuable on a daily basis, on my iPhone 6s, and I can recommend them all highly:

(NOTE - Comparing notes with other pilgrims this year, both in April while on Camino, and while working as a Pilgrim Office volunteer in Santiago for a month in July-August, I learned that most all of these apps are also available for Android phones through the Google / Android app store.)

Guide - Wise Pilgrim Guides, including the Frances. There is a huge amount of information in this app. It rivals the better guide books, IMHO. I looked at many alternatives, but these are IMHO the best, at least until Mr. Brierley gets the hint and comes into the 21st century. I like paper guides. It is an age thing I think. But this year, I came to fully appreciate how just one smart phone could replace an entire shelf of reference and guide books. The Wise series is available for nearly every popular Camino route. They even offer a discounted "bundle" of Camino route apps. But, I think they cost no more than about USD 2.99.

GPS - Maps.me - once you download the requisite provincial maps and a shared Camino GPS track file, you have a very accurate routing capability, as well as a very good "between towns" mapping capability. Any guide "book" or app will necessarily have a rudimentary mapping capability. For precise mapping, outside of towns and cities, GPS is the present state-of-the-art. I tried three or four GPS mapping apps recommended here in the Forum, but found Maps.me to be the best, easiest to learn and use, and most accurate for walking the Camino.

By way of example, in April I shared this with Raymond, a Samsung carrying Spanish pilgrim I met. He downloaded it from the Spanish Android store as we were walking, and it came downloaded with the maps he needed. Three or four "clicks" later, Raymond was fully functional. As a retired Spanish Navy officer, he was very impressed by the functionality, accuracy, and free cost. Result!

I personally liked the ability to tell me PRECISELY how many more km I had to go to reach some point. This takes the "wiggle room" out of any guide's vagaries...;)

Mapping & Directions - I MUCH preferred Google Maps. I used Maps.me between towns and cities. However, once I hit the edge of town and had named streets, Google Maps was superb at directing me to my known address destination, usually a hostal or shop. You can change units to meters / kilometers and leave your native language. Siri's pronunciation of Spanish street names in her flat colloquial American English accent is frequently humorous, and you need to pay attention as she sounds out the names, but it was highly accurate, even walking in large cities.

Translation - God bless Google Translate! I used it to ask for products in pharmacies or grocery stores, compose e-mails to arrange accommodations, and to obtain services. My Spanish is very basic, and not yet up to carrying on a proper conversation. So, being able to get a 97-99% correct translation is very helpful. I have used this for four Caminos over as many years. Originally, I had it on an iPod Touch that required Wi-Fi. Since last year, I have switched to an iPhone. Having "on-the-fly data" capability is much better and a big improvement in utility.

UPDATE: This year (2017) I added the Microsoft Translator, available for Android and iOS at the appropriate app stores. A couple of native Portuguese and Spanish speakers told me that the Microsoft app results in "better" translations, especially if you are trying to write an e-mail. Evidently it has something to do with logic and assessing the context you are seeking. Anyway, I have both on my iPhone. Through experience walking from Lisbon in April and May, I tend to agree with the folks you suggested the Microsoft app might be better. Just sayin...

Weather - I prefer Eltiempo.es+, available through the Spanish app store on Apple. It provides superior weather conditions and forecasts for virtually every named place in Spain, as well as the rest of the world. It is far better for the small towns and villages you will pass through than other available apps. This one is based on official Spanish government weather sensor sites located across the country.

Dictionary & Phrasebook - I prefer and recommend the "iThinkdiff" line of apps. They are fully featured and VERY comprehensive. There is a free version and an inexpensive version you can buy for a nil amount, from in the app I think. Buy the inexpensive version. It has added features that are very useful.

Catholic Mass - Get Misas.org. It is in Spanish only, and was available on BOTH the US and Spanish app store sites (for Apple). If you know the province and town / city you are in, Misas.org will provide a list of EVERY known Catholic church, convent, seminary, monastery, hospital, senior citizens home, hospederia, etc. that has a scheduled Catholic Mass.

Masses are arranged by days of the week. There is a photo of the outside of the building. It has addresses...see Google Maps, and even has a live link to locate the address using your native maps app. On an iPhone that is the Maps app, which is not nearly as good as Google Maps. But if you are a person who seeks a Catholic Mass to attend, as I do at least each Saturday evening or Sunday, Misas.org is for you.

Transportation - Get the ALSA bus app and the RENFE train app. The other BIG bus line along the Camino Frances is Monbus (Monbus.es). However, they do not (to my knowledge) have a mobile app. Their website is very difficult to use on a mobile device. When I know I need Monbus, I usually ask my place of lodging to access the site on their computer and print the necessary timetable. They can also call to make a reservation if need be.

Post Offices - Get the Correos.es app, available through the Spanish app store. if you need to find a post office or arrange mochila transport using their new service, this app will help.

Safety & Security - The Spanish national police have developed an app named AlertCops that allows you to register your presence and rapidly report directly to them, incidents or observations that can help prevent or interrupt crimes. AlertCops is available for both Android and Apple.

THIS IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE for calling 1-1-2 in an emergency. It is intended for registering your presence in the area, as well as reporting things like suspicious activity, a crime you witnessed, an accident, something like a wild fire in the woods, a serious and urgent safety condition (e.g. a downed utility pole across a road or the senda, etc. Anyway, the app is free. Check it out.

(NOTE: For each of these recommended apps, try your local app store. If you cannot find this or any other Spanish-native app, go into settings and temporarily change your app store country and region to Spain / España, and download the apps. Once downloaded, at least I know the Apple updater will keep all the apps updated from anywhere in the world.)

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
@t2andreo Thanks. That was a very through post. I am on the other coast in Cape Coral. What service provider do you have? I have AT&T ... last year I added their Passport plan for a month while I was in Europe. What did you do to gain international access on your phone?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used the paper maps provided in the Camino. I did my research before I left and had ideas how to schedule my self. I carried my phone but didn't use it except for photos and when Wi-Fi was available in the evening to transfer my picture to the cloud. For 35 days I never missed the technology.

I liked micamino.

I used Camino pilgrim on my recent CF

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For those who are curious, as I live in the US (on the east coast of South Florida to be exact) I choose to use t-Mobile as my cellular service provider. My options were ATT, Sprint, and Verizon.

I know, from living in Europe for several years, that t-Mobile is a German company and has a HUGE presence in western Europe. They are very well established and operate a high-quality wireless network. They also have roaming agreements with all the major national carriers across Europe. In Spain, they use either Movistar or Orange. In Belgium (where I visit friends), I recall the roaming partner was either Proximus or Orange.

The other US-based cellular operators do not have a native presence outside the US. Hence, their charges are obscenely higher for the same service. T-Mobile has a large and robust enough network that they can afford to offer free data use overseas, where the others have to buy access.

As I travel to Europe 2-4 times annually, sometimes for more than a month, being able to use my iPhone for FREE data and text is a HUGE benefit. As t-Mobile also "snowballs" unused data from one month to the next, I frequently find myself with 10 - 20 Gb of available data to use.

This year, arriving at Santiago for my month as a volunteer, I actually had 19 Gb of available text "in the bank." I was able to hold FaceTime calls, stream music, and have live GPS, as long as my Apple "saddleback" battery case allowed (usually two full days). I also opened my iPhone as a portable hotspot for my flat mates at the volunteer flat as no internet or Wi-Fi is provided. My phone is safer to use than public Wi-Fi. So, they liked having me around...;):)

Also, while t-Mobile tells you that you have free access to 3G data and messaging while traveling overseas, I found that the WORST data link I encountered anywhere in Spain was 3G. Usually, full-on LTE coverage was available. :)

From the volunteer flat, I regularly had full LTE coverage with usually 4 out of an available 5 signal dots. My fellow volunteers were even able to stream music through my personal hot spot.

The ONLY exception was generally poor cellular / mobile reception inside any ancient building with very thick stone walls. Spanish tile "S" tile roofs, usually made of some sort of concrete, also block cellular communications. This is also true of my new "S" tile roofed home here in Florida. I am working on solutions now.

In fact, I regularly had a stronger signal strength ANYWHERE across Spain, even out in the boonies walking from Madrid in April, than I do on a daily basis here in South Florida. I find it embarrassing, but I know the technical reasons behind this variance, so I understand.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
@t2andreo Thanks. That was a very through post. I am on the other coast in Cape Coral. What service provider do you have? I have AT&T ... last year I added their Passport plan for a month while I was in Europe. What did you do to gain international access on your phone?

I did not need an international access plan, per se. The data and text functions just fired up on the local Spanish roaming partner as soon as the plane landed at Madrid. It was totally seamless...

When people in the US called me, the phone rang in Spain. Caller ID showed their number and name exactly as it would in the US. I usually answered with a canned message that told them I was unable to answer the call and to please text or e-mail instead. That dumped any commercial calls, or solicitation calls. You can set-up three such messages in /Settings/Phone... Three come with the phone, from the factory. You can edit them to suit. I did. You can also easily change them over time.

The couple of times I actually took a call was from close family. My parents are aged and my dad is heading for his final curtain. My wife was overseeing our total renovation of a home we recently bought. So, it was necessary to take some calls. As I mentioned in my original post above, I had a two-hour Face Time call with my wife. It concerned the home renovation. I used the LTE data, with ZERO added charges.

For only those few people I knew I needed to speak to, I took the call but spoke for a matter of 20-30 seconds, to be sure to keep the call under one-minute (to contain costs). I reminded them that I was in Spain, could not talk, and arranged a time to have a FaceTime Video or Audio call later, over Wi-Fi. In this, I cleverly used the six-hour time delay between CET in Spain and EDT in the Eastern US.

T-Mobile charges USD .20 (twenty cents) for each minute when making or accepting those calls. So, over five-weeks this July & August when I was at Santiago, I took or made exactly six calls, for USD 1.20. That was cheaper than paying for some separate plan.

I am trying to convince my wife to switch her number over to my plan as a second line, before she heads to India and Nepal in late October. So far, no joy.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
T-Mobile charges USD 20 for each minute when making or accepting those calls. So, over five-weeks this July & August when I was at Santiago, I took or made exactly six calls, for USD 1.20. That was cheaper than paying for some separate plan.

I'm hoping you meant USD 0.20 rather than USD 20, or your expectation of a total of USD 1.20 is going to result in a heart attack when you get your actual bill! :)

I'm hoping you meant USD 0.20 rather than USD 20, or your expectation of a total of USD 1.20 is going to result in a heart attack when you get your actual bill! :)

My bad. The correct t-Mobile charge is USD .20 (twenty cents) for each minute or portion thereof. My August bill showed a total of about 3.50 USD in extra charges covering the 35-day period period I was in Spain.

But, you are right, I might have had a stroke...;)

Hola - what are the best Apps for smartphones available for the Camino Frances please?

Also are there any online maps of this route which have proved useful?

Thanks

John
I downloaded Camino Wise Pilgrim. It has been great. Just make sure you get the one titled FRANCES (if that's the walk you are doing) as there is one for all the Camino walks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola - what are the best Apps for smartphones available for the Camino Frances please?

Thanks

John

Hi John

When I walked the Camino Frances last year I used the Camino de Santiago Guide.

You can see it on Android here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.caminoguide.frances&hl=en

Another pilgrim had it on their iPhone so I know it's available for that too.

I found it excellent. All the information I needed and very up to date.

Bel

I used eCamino which is based on John Brierley's guide. The gps positioning was extremely helpful for making sure I had taken the right turn, in the countryside but especially in the larger towns! It does list albergues available but I found the rest of the app pretty useless. Very little, and varied information included.
I also used Wikiloc and Endomodo to track my journey. Wikiloc includes a visual elevation map which can be very impressive!
Buen Camino!

I used eCamino which is based on John Brierley's guide.

Hi, I also tried this one last year, in an attempt to become more up-to-date with modern camino ways. But it kept waking me up at night with it’s random beeping (my phone becomes part of my pillow in albergues). I just couldn’t work out how to turn the infuriating beep off, so I finally uninstalled it. I wasn’t using it anyway.
Jill

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
While on the camino last year I downloaded an app called Buen Camino. At the time it was almost useless. Have received several updates during the last year, but I don't believe it was as good as other apps some of our companions were using. Don't know which one they had but just picked this one from the play store. I would not recommend it.
Just so you know, it was very incomplete at the time.

I walked from SJPDP starting in Mid April using only my iPhone 6, no printed guides. I had eCamino, Wise Pilgrim Guide, Gerald Kelley's Camino guide and Google Translate. Used them all as each has strengths and weaknesses but I used Kelley's the most.

Bought a Movistar sim in Pampalona that had data included, which then made Google Translate more useable.

I think all these are likely already covered, but here is my list:

APPS:

• Guidebook: eCamino app, based on John Brieley’s book
• ebook guidebook: Walking Guide to the Camino de Santiago by Gerald Kelly
Camino Frances app, download at www.wisepilgrim.com (excellent)
• Offline map: MapsMe – uses Camino Frances GPS track

• Google Translate for iPhone (also available for Android). Supports voice-recognition. Download Spanish for offline use.
• Blogging/ travel app (looks fab; can submit post while offline): http://findpenguins.com
• Blogging: free wordpress.com, iPhone. Convenient to update friends/family on progress (supports photos and videos)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am currently walking Frances .... Met someone a few days ago using ... Trek right .... I down loaded ... Not free ....worth every cent .... Works off line .... I am shocked what this app can do ... Was fabulous today .... Kept raving about it to anyone who was listening :rolleyes:.... Sadly probably no one was listening .... So I am telling YOU

ULTREIA
ANNE

Last edited:
I think all these are likely already covered, but here is my list:

APPS:

• Guidebook: eCamino app, based on John Brieley’s book
• ebook guidebook: Walking Guide to the Camino de Santiago by Gerald Kelly (uses data from www.csj.org.uk).
Camino Frances app, download at www.wisepilgrim.com (excellent)
• Offline map: MapsMe – uses Camino Frances GPS track

• Google Translate for iPhone (also available for Android). Supports voice-recognition. Download Spanish for offline use.
• Blogging/ travel app (looks fab; can submit post while offline): http://findpenguins.com
• Blogging: free wordpress.com, iPhone. Convenient to update friends/family on progress (supports photos and videos)

Hi

I'm Gerald Kelly, I'm the creator of one of the apps mentioned in this message. It's stated that my app uses the same data as the CJS guides. I'd just like to correct that statement: all the information in all of my guides is gathered while walking the Caminos and cross checked against various freely available online sources, such as albergue websites. I have not looked at a CSJ guide in over ten years and I am certainly not taking information from them.

Best wishes
Gerald

Hi Gerald, my apology! I have removed the reference in my post.

When I researched apps, I found your app included in a 'best of' listing. It referenced the data source so I copied it as well. If I can locate the site where I initially saw this info, I will lyk so you can correct the record. Thanks, and again my apologies!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Gerald, my apology! I have removed the reference in my post.

When I researched apps, I found your app included in a 'best of' listing. It referenced the data source so I copied it as well. If I can locate the site where I initially saw this info, I will lyk so you can correct the record. Thanks, and again my apologies!

Hi

Thanks for your quick reply and for correcting this information. If you got this from some place else maybe you could PM me a link.

Best wishes
Gerald

EDIT: found it & PM'd you. I feel badly for having posted misinformation.

///
Yes, I will definitely look for it and send info to you if I locate it. Take care.

Last edited:

Thanks

John
Out of multiple apps I've used over the last 24 days walking maps.me has been the top out of all of them ( it's not Camino related but is awesome)
- you can consult it offline so can use it in places with no internet or reception
- it shows what direction you're moving
- you can bookmark the place you're aiming at eg an Auberge or village
- when you bookmark a place it gives you the option to book it via various links eg booking.com
- it provides an accurate marker to indicate where you are and how far you have walked but more importantly how far you have to go to your bookmarked place.

It's fantastic

In re maps: John Brierley's maps have always mesmerized me.

I went to Amazon Kindle, bought his latest map book and downloaded it to my Kindle library. Which made it accessible at any moment, on the Way. And now, back home, accessible whenever I start thinking about going back.

The cost for this "app"is $13.99 (I think this is AUD - but will confirm). Cheers
I just checked out the the Trekopedia app at Google Play from my PC here in the States and it said it cost $9.99. I presume the price presented depends on the location you are in.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Thanks

John
I used Camino Pilgrim. I got it free from Google Playstore. It had a lot of good basic info ie distances, elevations, albergues (with address/contact details/no of beds) and other local facilities.

GPS - Maps.me - once you download the requisite provincial maps and a shared Camino GPS track file, you have a very accurate routing capability, as well as a very good "between towns" mapping capability. Any guide "book" or app will necessarily have a rudimentary mapping capability. For precise mapping, outside of towns and cities, GPS is the present state-of-the-art. I tried three or four GPS mapping apps recommended here in the Forum, but found Maps.me to be the best, easiest to learn and use, and most accurate for walking the Camino.

How did you download the Camino GPS track file?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Any file in that format can be loaded and used by Maps.me. I also obtained the .kml file from this Forum.

As my U.K. friends say...."it works a treat..."

I hope this helps.

When I went in 2016, I used an app that literally saved me hours of extra walking in the dark early mornings. I know this because others reached the Albergue telling of the odessy. I had a Samsung at the time.

I’m preparing for my May 2018 departure and I finally have an iPhone again. The app is made by Atlas Guides. The app is called Guthook. The app works with phone on airplane mode. At any point, you know how far you walked and how long until your planned stop. I loved it so much I paid for it a second time (android version and iOS version).

It is a great app. The name is the Camino Companion by Guthook. I have used it along with the Wise Pilgrim. Unlike Wise Pilgrim, it has offline maps. I used it exclusively on tha Appalachian Trail a couple of year's ago

It is a great app. The name is the Camino Companion by Guthook. I have used it along with the Wise Pilgrim. Unlike Wise Pilgrim, it has offline maps. I used it exclusively on tha Appalachian Trail a couple of year's ago

You are correct. It is called Camino Companion. I initially had trouble finding it in iOS store by that name. When you have the other names mentioned above, it pops up easier. I love that app!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm a fellow pilgrim and have become obsessed with it. I'm also a software engineer and wanted to combine my two passions, so I'm in the process of doing research to create another app. Essentially, I've evaluated all of the options available and think I can make a better one.

If you'd like to provide insights and suggestions, please fill out this 3-5 min survey. Thanks!

I'm a fellow pilgrim and have become obsessed with it. I'm also a software engineer and wanted to combine my two passions, so I'm in the process of doing research to create another app. Essentially, I've evaluated all of the options available and think I can make a better one.

If you'd like to provide insights and suggestions, please fill out this 3-5 min survey. Thanks!
I just sent you a very detail response to your survey. Let me know if I can help further. I leave May 7th for my second Camino Frances, but I know there is a Camino Portuguese in my future. I would love to see what you come up with!

I just sent you a very detail response to your survey. Let me know if I can help further. I leave May 7th for my second Camino Frances, but I know there is a Camino Portuguese in my future. I would love to see what you come up with!

Thanks so much for the survey response! In one of your cases, I have something in mind that would really help that. Will definitely reach out to you directly when I can to bounce some ideas.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back