• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best ATM Debit Card

MesaWalker

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2021), Via Serrana, VdlP to Muxia (2023)
We're planning our second camino. We have read that the Charles Schwab Visa debit card reimburses all international ATM fees. That would save us from always looking around for a transaction fee-free ATM in Spain as we did on our first camino. Does anyone know if there are any "catches" to the Schwab debit card when using ATMs in Europe? Does anyone know of a better debit card for Americans to use for ATM withdrawals in Europe?

Thanks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I use Schwab and do not know of any "catches". I've been a customer for years, and they truly refund all fees. Highly recommend.

I second this. I learned about the Schwab debit card on these forums and they truly do reimburse all fees. And their customer service is wonderful – I had to call them when I had problems accessing my account from a particular ATM in a small town (Villatuerta I think) and they were very helpful – the rep was fascinated that I was on the Camino and we had a nice chat about it. Don't even hesitate about opening an account with them.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
yeah, I have been using this debit card for many years now. It is fantastic. And they refund all ATM fees. It's quite brilliant! Esp when you get those super-expensive ATMs in airports etc.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
That is quite interesting however non-US citizens need to put 25k USD to open an account. Are there any canadians reading this thread, if so which bank do you use? Thanks

We're planning our second camino. We have read that the Charles Schwab Visa debit card reimburses all international ATM fees. That would save us from always looking around for a transaction fee-free ATM in Spain as we did on our first camino. Does anyone know if there are any "catches" to the Schwab debit card when using ATMs in Europe? Does anyone know of a better debit card for Americans to use for ATM withdrawals in Europe?

Thanks.
Agree with other commenter liking this card. It does take some time to set up an online account and get money transferred to it. At least that was my experience. so get that on your priority list

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was just talking with my son, a computer nerdy guy who is really into investing and banking and things that I know nothing about. He has been seeing a lot of online chatter warning about Charles Schwab. He told me that if I was insisting on bringing that card, I should also bring another institution’s card as backup, just in case. I said wait a minute! This isn’t some regional bank, and he said “Lehman Brothers, mom.” I don’t want to pass rumors but literally hours ago I had this convo. Not worried about losing everything! I’m thinking more about inconveniences while far from home. Y’all might want to carry a back-up card too, just in case.

Thanks.
Hi. Have a look at the Wise card. I’m Canadian and used that last year. I was able to easily transfer money from my Canadian account and convert it into euros when the rate was good. No withdrawal fees as long as it was a bank ATM and can use it like a credit card. I’m sending money as I can for my next walk this September! 🇨🇦

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I used my Fidelity Debit card. They paid the ATM fees and had good conversation rates. Their site says there is no minimum balance (although you probably would want to fund it when you open it) and it doesn't appear that you need to have any other account at Fidelity but I would call and confirm.

I used my Fidelity Debit card. They paid the ATM fees and had good conversation rates. Their site says there is no minimum balance (although you probably would want to fund it when you open it) and it doesn't appear that you need to have any other account at Fidelity but I would call and confirm.
I have a Fidelity debit card and they refund international transaction fees (up to a certain cap), but I was told by a Fidelity rep that they charge a 1% transaction fee internally for each withdrawal. So they get their pound of flesh.

Thanks.
I used a Schwab card in 2021. Fees were refunded. No problems.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have a Fidelity debit card and they refund international transaction fees (up to a certain cap), but I was told by a Fidelity rep that they charge a 1% transaction fee internally for each withdrawal. So they get their pound of flesh.
I just read an article about that.

Schwab. Worked perfectly in 2022 On our Camino. I set mine up to email any transaction more than $1 and usually had an email in less than 1 minute showing my transaction. That way I knew if there was anything funny going on. Also - ALWAYS reject the currency conversion. If you don’t you will get a lousy rate that can easily cost you 5-10% of your withdrawal.

Last but not least - look for MB Atms or Deutsche Bank ATMs if possible, and avoid Euronet ATMs.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I love this card and only use it for international travel. I've had zero problems, but always make sure I bring a back-up card as well.
EDIT, I just read the article @trecile posted. It's kind if a toss-up between the two cards for different reasons, but I'll stay with Schwab as I've had no glitches using it and usually don't prefer chasing the rabbit.

Last edited:
, I just read the article @trecile posted. It's kind if a toss-up between the two cards for different reasons, but I'll stay with Schwab as I've had no glitches using it and usually don't prefer chasing the rabbit.
According to the article, it sounds like Schwab is better for international travel because the Fidelity card charges a 1% foreign transaction fee. They thought that the Fidelity card is better for general domestic (US) use. I basically use my Schwab account only for international travel, so it's the best choice for me. Also, I like having a separate account for travel unconnected from my regular banking.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I love this card and only use it for international travel. I've had zero problems, but always make sure I bring a back-up card as well.
EDIT, I just read the article @trecile posted. It's kind if a toss-up between the two cards for different reasons, but I'll stay with Schwab as I've had no glitches using it and usually don't prefer chasing the rabbit.
I too also have a backup card. You never know what may happen.

According to the article, it sounds like Schwab is better for international travel because the Fidelity card charges a 1% foreign transaction fee. They thought that the Fidelity card is better for general domestic (US) use. I basically use my Schwab account only for international travel, so it's the best choice for me. Also, I like having a separate account for travel unconnected from my regular banking.
Ditto for me. Schwab is only used for our international travel; nothing else. We do use Fidelity though, but differently.

Thanks.
Not worth the hassle of another bank account. SJPDP to Santiago, 35 days. If €5 ATM fee and six ATM cash withdrawals, that's €30.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We use the Wise card as well. Excellent prepaid visa for any international travel. Using it in Portugal for the past three months without issue and no fees on retail business.

I used the Schwab card and had no issues with ATMs or paying in local establishments along the way.
I looked into getting a Schwab card- this is what I found - it's an Amex card with a $695yearly fee. Doesnt seem like a good deal to me...

Platinum Card® from American Express for Charles Schwab​

Annual fee of $695†¤

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
That sounds like an AmEx credit card. If you set up a Schwab online bank account, they have a Charles Schwab Bank VISA debit card. As far as I can tell, no monthly or annual fees, monthly ATM fee reimbursement, etc.

That sounds like an AmEx credit card. If you set up a Schwab online bank account, they have a Charles Schwab Bank VISA debit card. As far as I can tell, no monthly or annual fees, monthly ATM fee reimbursement, etc.
You are correct. @MARSKA is confusing a credit card offered by Schwab with their debit card.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I looked into getting a Schwab card- this is what I found - it's an Amex card with a $695yearly fee. Doesnt seem like a good deal to me...

Platinum Card® from American Express for Charles Schwab​

Annual fee of $695†¤
Wrong card. You want the Checking Visa.

I'm checking with my Fidelity account and here's their reply:
For international ATM withdrawals and merchant purchases, the Visa currency conversion rate may include a 1% foreign transaction fee. This fee is applied at the time of the transaction and is equal to 1% of the total transaction after it has been converted into US dollars by Visa.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've never had a problem with my Schwab card.
I have an online bank account with them and have had it for years.
My card has worked in every ATM machine in Europe with no issues.
I love getting back all my transactions fees and exchange rate fees at the end of each month.
I love Schwab!
BTW, I opened a personal account and a joint account with a friend.
That way I DO have an extra debit card in case of emergencies and an easy way for him to transfer cash into the account if needed.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
... He told me that if I was insisting on bringing that card, I should also bring another institution’s card as backup, just in case. . Y’all might want to carry a back-up card too, just in case.....
To start with put me into SCHWAB corner as well. No problems around Camino (withdrew cash in cities, incl Paris, Burgos, Ponferrada & SdC - that was more than enough) no problems w\ ATMs and all fees refunded. No extra % for cash withdrawals and\or exchange fees.

That said - I would NEVER leave home on an international trip without a back up CC (and my CapitalOne Venture does the trick just fine). So, yes, All Y'all (dat be plural of Y'All for those who don't know ;) ) just might want to do that.

Not worth the hassle of another bank account. SJPDP to Santiago, 35 days. If €5 ATM fee and six ATM cash withdrawals, that's €30.
thats 3 Menues del Dia :p
Its not the overall question of whether its worth it or not - it may to one and not to another.
Plus, one just never know what situations can be encountered hence saying "6" on the average (although as I stated earlier I did only 4 so 6 is a pretty good number) may not be completely correct.

The highest I encountered was at Santander ATMs - I think that it was 7 Euros. (it could have been 7.50 Euros, I don't remember exactly)
Yes Santander at 7 euros is the highest I have seen but most of the other high street banks are at 6 euro now at least. Caixa was only 2 Euro a couple of years back but seems to be 6 euro now!

I know you know this but for others Deutsche Bank don’t charge but their ATMs are largely in cities and major towns. Some regional banks don’t charge either.

Spain tends to be one of the worst EU countries for charging. Hardly ever pay a fee in Germany or Italy for example.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.