• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best bank cards

kinnear

Time of past OR future Camino
2007 (September 2017)
Hi all. I'm wondering what bank cards people from NZ use. There is a Visa card called Loaded. Anyone used it or alternative suggestions. Thanks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Qantas did a good pre-load card.

Despite having too many of the preloaded cards already, it was so good that I tried to apply for one, but I am not a resident of NZ or Aus so couldn't!

All I can say is ‘read the fine print’ for any card you are looking at. After a lot of research I discovered that it is just as easy/cost effective to use your usual debit card. Many ‘loaded’ cards have multiple points to ‘click the ticket’ - and some even charge you to get your money back out.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used a cash passport card... preloaded with euros. It was excellent. You want to buy it when the $NZ is high so you are getting a better exchange rate. It works in most ATMs in Spain. Just google Cash Passport and it will tell you where to get one from. It is very easy to buy. A lot of travel agents provide them. And it gives you two cards with two different pins in case you lose one so you always have back up. In fact I use it for all overseas travel now.

I opened an online Charles Schwab bank account and got a debit account for travel...
At the end of the month, they reimburse ALL fees, including money exchange fees and ATM fees.
I love that card!

I used a cash passport card... preloaded with euros. It was excellent. You want to buy it when the $NZ is high so you are getting a better exchange rate. It works in most ATMs in Spain. Just google Cash Passport and it will tell you where to get one from. It is very easy to buy. A lot of travel agents provide them. And it gives you two cards with two different pins in case you lose one so you always have back up. In fact I use it for all overseas travel now.

They don't offer that deal in my country (that I know of and I worked in debit and credit card processing) That said, if you are bringing your regular bank debit card, turn it over and check to make sure that it is part of the world wide networks, such as Cirrus and Plus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirrus_(interbank_network)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plus_(interbank_network)

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi all. I'm wondering what bank cards people from NZ use. There is a Visa card called Loaded. Anyone used it or alternative suggestions. Thanks.
I used the "BNZ cash passport " when I walked the CF In 2014. I think it was a MasterCard product but not certain. Worked fine to get cash along the way and enabled me to have access to US and U.K. Currency on the way to Spain and back, as well as Euro whilst on the Camino

$NZ is very high at the moment. I really noticed when I was out there recently with the British Peso.

You will find Spain very cheap at the moment!

Qantas did a good pre-load card.

Despite having too many of the preloaded cards already, it was so good that I tried to apply for one, but I am not a resident of NZ or Aus so couldn't!
Thanks. It looks better than "Loaded" so I've ordered one.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@kinnear I use the Qantas cash card too. With the app downloaded on my smart-phone so I can keep an eye on the balance.

Hola - in addition to standard Debit & Credit cards I have a Travel Card (issued by CBA - & Master Card) - I can load it with any international currency I want. Yes there are transaction fees so I generally take out enough for a 4 or 5 days & keep a close eye on those funds. Cheers

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back