• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best bits of Porto to Santiago as only 5 walking days!!!?

tatty

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Portugues '2015'
Hi,
A group of us are flying into Porto in May and have just a week to walk some of the Way, in which we want to finish in Santiago plus get back to Porto in time to get our return flight.
Interested to know which sections would be the best to walk in terms of beautiful scenery, interesting terrain etc either a continuous stretch or taking public transport in between certain sections..... or has anyone done this and has good advice?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, Tatty,
Welcome to the forum. My recommendation would be not to mess too much with skipping over parts and jumping ahead, and just plan to start in Valenca do Minho, which is on the Spanish border. You can walk from Valenca to Santiago in 5 days, see the stages here: http://www.mundicamino.com/rutas.cfm?id=43

There are lots of beautiful parts north of Porto and before Valenca, but I think you will complicate your lives way too much if you try to figure out how to cherry pick five days between Porto and Santiago.

Bom caminho, Laurie

Hi, Tatty,
Welcome to the forum. My recommendation would be not to mess too much with skipping over parts and jumping ahead, and just plan to start in Valenca do Minho, which is on the Spanish border. You can walk from Valenca to Santiago in 5 days, see the stages here: http://www.mundicamino.com/rutas.cfm?id=43

There are lots of beautiful parts north of Porto and before Valenca, but I think you will complicate your lives way too much if you try to figure out how to cherry pick five days between Porto and Santiago.

Bom caminho, Laurie

I agree with Laurie. You either start in Valença, or in Tui (already Spanish side), that's your call. Starting from there will also allow you to get your Compostela at the end of your Camiño.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That's a bit like saying "I'd love to do a world cruise, but I've only got one day ....."
I agree with the other guys - don't rush it, but you'll only get a 'taste' of the camino in a week. Then come back another day and walk the whole camino! This was the camino going into Arcade ...
P1090431.JPG

So relax, enjoy a "sample" week, then return and walk the whole camino!

Thanks for all advice so far, think it sounds sensible to make things as easy as possible! Sadly can only be a sample week as work and families limit time, we would love to do the whole lot one day!!
Logistics of flying to Porto far easier than flights to Spain which we hadn't originally thought of so now excited about planning. Just to complicate matters two of us are cycling from Porto to Santiago at the same time, but that's another story........... : )

How about starting in Baiona which is such a beautiful coastal resort so spend at least a day there before.
Day 1 Baiona to Vigo
Day 2 Vigo to Pontevedra
Day 3 Pontevedra to Palas de Rei
Day 4 Palas de Rei to Padron
Day 5 Padron to Santiago
Check out the quick video I did, buen camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
How about starting in Baiona which is such a beautiful coastal resort so spend at least a day there before.
Day 1 Baiona to Vigo
Day 2 Vigo to Pontevedra
Day 3 Pontevedra to Palas de Rei
Day 4 Palas de Rei to Padron
Day 5 Padron to Santiago
Check out the quick video I did, buen camino
Wow. Now all comes to life ! Can't wait.. Till 12 weeks to go.
Starting from Viana do Castelo on the Coastal.
Can you post a similar vid of the ruta dos Salnés ? I want to walk that one instead of Pontevedra to Padrón.

Um abraço
Albertinho

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I really liked walking across the international bridge from Valenca to Tui and seeing the contrast between Portugal and Spain. You see, feel and even taste it straight away, the food, the people, mentality..... All very different and all you have to do is walk across a bridge.

I really liked walking across the international bridge from Valenca to Tui and seeing the contrast between Portugal and Spain. You see, feel and even taste it straight away, the food, the people, mentality..... All very different and all you have to do is walk across a bridge.
Agree but if you can stay one more day and night in Portugal., do it ..it is a though farewell leaving Portugal . What a great country, kindness of the people (as long as they do not sit behind the steering wheel of their cars-then the devil comes loose :p:p:p:D) and their food and wines.
A pity Santiago the Compostela is not situated in Portugal. The utmost happy world could be that !

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Agree but if you can stay one more day and night in Portugal., do it ..it is a though farewell leaving Portugal . What a great country, kindness of the people (as long as they do not sit behind the steering wheel of their cars-then the devil comes loose :p:p:p:D) and their food and wines.
A pity Santiago the Compostela is not situated in Portugal. The utmost happy world could be that !

At long time ago, in a kingdom not far way, Galicia was kinda portuguese ;)

I think peregrina 2000 was absolutely spot on.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
At long time ago, in a kingdom not far way, Galicia was kinda portuguese ;)
So by then living, you should have spoken Spanish ?:p

Reminds me some years ago being in Recife/Olinda in Brasil.
We Dutch "conquistadores" stayed for 45 years in the north of Brasil during something sixteen hundreds
The foolish Dutch prince Maurits was kicked out by the Portuguese. If this had not happened, till the the day of today the Brasileans should speak dutch :D
Imagine.. Samba girls wearing feathers and dutch cloggies :p eating Goudse stroopwafels , my dear Portugese friend .

Last edited:
So by then living, you should have spoken Spanish ?:p

Reminds me some years ago being in Recife/Olinda in Brasil.
We Dutch "conquistadores" stayed for 45 years in the north of Brasil during something sixteen hundreds
The foolish Dutch prince Maurits was kicked out by the Portuguese. If this had not happened, till the day the day of today the Brasileans should speak dutch :D
Imagine.. Samba girls with feathers on dutch cloggies :p eating Goudse stroopwafels , my dear Portugese friend .

No, not at all. That's why there is Gallego, very simillar to portuguese ;)

But, Portugal was occupied by Spain from 1580 to 1640.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
look in the mirror ,my good friend, and the one you'll see is counting down for you !:p
Albertinho

See this video please (Is in portuguese).

You can see the letter of the galician song is same portuguese.

The primitive language of Portugal (county Portucalense) was the same in Galicia (Galician-Portuguese). In the Iberian Peninsula there were several languages in addition to the Galician-Portuguese, there were the Leonese, Asturian, Catalan, Basque, Murciano and others. In Portugal we still have the language Mirandês (origin in Leonese). With the independence of Portugal (1145) and as a domain of Castilla on the other peoples of the Iberian Peninsula (for canquista or marriage), Castellano was the dominant language with new formation of the Spanish State in 1492.
AMSimoes

Olá senhor Simoes,
Esta história e muito interessante para mim .
Muito obrigado pelo compartir .
Vou a estudar o video.

Um abraço
Albertinho

Just a question?
Is it far from Valenca to Tui. We are getting transport from Santiago to Tui, but maybe in would be nicer to start on the Portuguese side and walk from there. We are staying in Tui overnight. Any recommendations?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No its really close. Do it, start in Valenca. Also walk around Valenca for a bit, it is really nice.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back