• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Blister Prevention and Care

M. Sanche

MichelleS
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Pamplona to Burgos) October, 2017
I wanted to introduce a medical supply product that we found very helpful while walking the Camino Frances. Our daughter used it on the West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island, Canada last summer. She and her friend applied it to their heels each morning as a prevention, and they did indeed make it through that very difficult hike without blister distress.

I can only describe it as like a very thin, sticky packing tape, which flexibly covers and protects skin.

We used it for one of our Camino companions when she began to develop a baby-toe blister. By putting this product on her toe each morning, she allowed the initial damage to heal while preventing any further injury. My husband also used it to prevent a hot spot from becoming a blister.

Here is a link to information about it: http://www.smith-nephew.com/professional/products/advanced-wound-management/opsite/opsite-flexifix/ I will also attach a photo of the box. We found that it was available at a medical supply store in our Canadian city.

Hoping this information is useful to other pilgrims,
Michelle

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 2,078
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good to know! We had brought a variety of blister strategies and feel we could have saved pack weight by just going with this one.
Yes, these thin flexible tapes are awesome! I put some on the balls of my feet every day, and around a couple of toes too. No blisters at all! And here's the link to the Omnifix on Amazon. Again, it looks like it is very much like the tape that the OP mentioned. I think that there are other brands too. They are called dressing retention tapes.

I'm so thankful for the woman at the farmacia who recommended it when we were looking for moleskin.

By the way, this worked much better than the Leukotape that I used last year. It's still a good tape, but this worked better for blister prevention.

Last edited:
I learned the hard way with poor foot wear and sock choices on my first two Camino's

I now use lined Wright socks. Usually take a couple of lighter ones and a couple of heavier ones depending on the day.

I always take my shoes off for a few minutes at every rest stop. If it is a hotter day, I change my socks out at mid day and let my feet dry off. I then put on fresh socks to finish the day.

The moment you feel any discomfort, stop right away, get your socks off and figure out what do. I made the mistake more than once of continuing to walk with a sore foot only to have a real mess at the end of the day.

Compeed works well for a hot spot, not as well on an actual blister.

This past year on my Portuguese Camino, I actually followed the above advice to the letter and literally had no foot issues at all. I think I used one compeed patch for the whole Camino.

I've used many products over the decades of backpacking, from the white sports adhesive tape, to moleskin, to duct tape. My preferred choice for the last several years has been Leukotape. It does a great job for me on any hotspots which may develop, and it works very well as a protective barrier on any blisters: of course the skin ON the blister -- or an open blister -- will have a thin dab of ointment in order to keep the adhesive from sticking to the sensitive area. I very seldom blister, but I am always prepared for them. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wanted to introduce a medical supply product that we found very helpful while walking the Camino Frances. Our daughter used it on the West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island, Canada last summer. She and her friend applied it to their heels each morning as a prevention, and they did indeed make it through that very difficult hike without blister distress.

I can only describe it as like a very thin, sticky packing tape, which flexibly covers and protects skin.

We used it for one of our Camino companions when she began to develop a baby-toe blister. By putting this product on her toe each morning, she allowed the initial damage to heal while preventing any further injury. My husband also used it to prevent a hot spot from becoming a blister.

Here is a link to information about it: http://www.smith-nephew.com/professional/products/advanced-wound-management/opsite/opsite-flexifix/ I will also attach a photo of the box. We found that it was available at a medical supply store in our Canadian city.

Michelle

Hello Michelle , would you know who would sell this product in Canada , thanks Harry

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Last year I used Armaskin Anti-Blister sock liners along with KentWool socks. Not a hint of a blister from SJPdP to Finisterre. This year used the same system for Hadrian’s Wall and Wainwright’s Coast to Coast in England. Another 300 miles and still no blisters. I’ve tried lots of products, but this is the best I’ve found.

Also, if there is a problem with bandage adhesive failing to stick, apply a bit of tincture of benzoin on the skin surrounding the blister or hotspot. It amplifies the 'sticktoitiveness' of the adhesive. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, have also used Armaskin. I don’t usually have problems with blisters, but recommended these to a friend who says her feet normally look like something from “ Mash” after walking. She has just come back from walking in Ireland and says for the first time ever her feet are blister free.
Opsite is also a great product. Used in hospitals constantly as a “ second skin” for minor burns, keeping the bugs out of iv sites, etc, etc..you can purchase it at most pharmacies, I think, unless you have nurse friends!

Thank You all for this info! I have not had trouble with blisters but I do keep a small emergency kit...will add some of Omnifix to my kit. Grateful.

Several years ago, I was told by my podiatrist that the issue with both liner socks and any kind of tape applied to the heel of the foot is that it reduces friction between the heel and the footwear. As you walk, your foot naturally moves up and down in the heel counter.

Footwear (except for flip-flops and some sandals) is designed to hold your instep in place, more or less without sliding. The heel is always supposed to be able to move slightly up and down. This is normal.

This normal up and down movement can cause blisters or callusing if friction and moisture are introduced. Both conditions are also normal when walking a Camino.

My three suggestions to avoid blisters and other heel problems (my "achilles heel" is calluses), include:

1. Properly fitted footwear, suitable to purpose...I advise at LEAST one full size larger than street size;

2. Two socks, thin inner liner (silk or microfiber) to reduce friction and wick moisture to the outer thicker cushioning sock layer; and

3. Tape, any tape, applied over likely areas of friction as soon as you can determine or know from past experience that there will likely be a problem. If you get a "hot spot" stop immediately and deal with it, before it erupts into a blister.

N.B. Any tape that can withstand the moisture in your shoe or boot will work to reduce friction. I have seen duct tape, KT tape, cloth medical tape, and even clear shipping tape used to create a protective barrier against friction.

Personally, I have used duct tape (which one should always have some of on Camino anyway) to create such a protective barrier on one occasion when I felt abrasion, but BEFORE a blister could results. it worked great.

FYI, in five caminos I have never had a blister...just saying... Remember you need to have dry feet before applying adhesive tape. You do not want to be pulling skin off your foot when you need to remove or change the tape. I let it wear off on it's own accord. When it is ready to let go, it will...no pulling or risk to tender skin...;)

I hope this helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Over the years I have tried different methods of dealing with or preventing blisters. vaseline, inner socks, I would always sit outside and far away from the door of the bar so that I could take off boots and socks and allow my feet to dry and skin to harden before continuing on my way.

I kept thinking that if I could stop my feet from perspiring and my skin getting wet and soggy, then I would not get blisters. So this year I applied antiperspirant to both feet and rubbed it in around my toes ( I use a stick antiperspirant)) and at the back of my heels. My feet stayed dry and I did not get any blisters. Socks also stayed dry and did not need to be changed after a few hours. It worked well for me and I will use it again next year. It might work for you too. ( I will still bring my needles and thread and Bethadine, Just in case!!!.)

I am a great fan of hiker's wool/lanoline wool to eliminate friction and remedy hotspots. Use it anywhere; under/around heel, under forefoot, between/around toes. And you can bring a lot since it weighs next to nothing and compresses to small size.

Tape, tape, tape. It works for me. Have a Happy Thanksgiving Day [USA] y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Note, a couple of years ago forum member David posted a good report on first aid on the camino, including a good section on blisters. Wishing all our members a Happy Thanksgiving Day [USA] y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Everyone has their own favorite blister prevention product...my wife and I have walked two blister-free caminos and here's our favorite product: http://www.goldbond.com/blog/product/friction-defense/. It's available at Walmart and most major pharmacy chains such as Walgreen's or CVS here in the States, or like everything else in the world, amazon.com. I believe it was first developed for runners to use to prevent chafing of their inner thighs, but it was recommended to us by our mentor before our first camino, and we have not had a single blister since we began using it, either on the caminos or on our regular hikes here at home. It rolls on like an under-arm deoderant. Apply liberally in the morning or whenever you replace your socks during the day. It's not greasy or messy like Vasoline. Of course the normal recommendations regarding footwear and socks apply, and as always, YMMV.

If hot spots do develop, the best advice of all is to to stop walking and address them before they turn into blisters. Duct tape has always worked for me, but I'm sure others work just as well as long as they don't loosen and become a problem of their own. But remember, do not apply any type of adhesive tape directly to the skin of a blister after it forms unless the directions specifically instruct doing so (a.k.a. "Compeed").

But remember, do not apply any type of adhesive tape directly to the skin of a blister after it forms unless the directions specifically instruct doing so (a.k.a. "Compeed").
And also please don't leave thread, also known as a highway for bacteria, in a blister.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are lots of opinions and experiences out there, but that's all they are. We all have our preferences. And then there is real information.

I just posted a good resource, written by someone who has a lot of expertise is treating blisters in endurance athletes. (Sorry, everyone, I goofed up a bit, never having posted a resource before.)
But there are 2 things:
A pdf file about prevention, attached in the discussion section.
And a link to the website, which you access by clicking the button on the main page.

This website is a goldmine of information.

Last edited:
There are so many ueseless advices for blisters... My recipe: Heal with (lots of) Iodine, breathable patches (air) and time.

Edit: I should say: After I understood the nature of blisters, how they form, and how to treat them, I have never had a single blister. But there are so many opinions on the subject, so I'll refrain from getting into the discussion :)

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I walked the Camino this year and used lueko tape. Once you put it on a hot spot it doesn't come off. Until you want it to, even in showers. I helped other pilgrims to their delight. It's the best tape on the trail.

It sounds to me that the product is called "Compede". We found it to be the most effective way to deal with blisters and continue on relatively pain free. We started out on the Camino from Canada this past spring with the moleskin product that was recommended to us and found that this was not a great solution. Compede is widely available along the St. James route and comes in various sizes. It is in a greenish clam-shell type plastic package. We always kept a few packets with us. Hope this helps. Michael

Michelle

Michelle

It sounds to me that the product is called "Compede". We found it to be the most effective way to deal with blisters and continue on relatively pain free. We started out on the Camino from Canada this past spring with the moleskin product that was recommended to us and found that this was not a great solution. Compede is widely available along the St. James route and comes in various sizes. It is in a greenish clam-shell type plastic package. We always kept a few packets with us. Hope this helps. Michael
No, the product that the OP mentioned is not Compeed. It is a thin flexible tape that can be cut to size to fit any part of the foot, and is much less expensive than Compeed.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked the Camino this year and used lueko tape. Once you put it on a hot spot it doesn't come off. Until you want it to, even in showers. I helped other pilgrims to their delight. It's the best tape on the trail.
Ah, but you haven't tried Omnifix or the tape mentioned by the OP. :)
As I mentioned above, for blister prevention I found the Omnifix to be better than Leukotape.

I'm an Omnifix fan!
It can be used for many problems apart from blisters. I always buy a packet when in Spain to take back home.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just posted a good resource, written by someone who has a lot of expertise is treating blisters in endurance athletes. (Sorry, everyone, I goofed up a bit, never having posted a resource before.)
But there are 2 things:
A pdf file about prevention, attached in the discussion section.
And a link to the website, which you access by clicking the button on the main page.

This website is a goldmine of information.

Thanks for the resource (link)!

Some direct links:
Blister prevention Strategies (most important)
https://www.blisterprevention.com.au/how-to-prevent-blisters
https://www.blisterprevention.com.au/engo-blister-prevention-patches

I found more free material on youtube than on the website, so here are some youtube links:
What causes blisters (skin shear)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUM-Bdr29ZI

Advanced Blister Kit (with ENGO Blister Prevention Patches)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whz-QBTsQpU

Compeed Usage (only on deroofed blisters)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=car0aN4PpyM

Taping techniques (toe; heel; ball of the foot)
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rebecca+rushton+taping

Blister Treatment
www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6xlECl9ZBg

How and when to pop a foot blister (popping really needed for walking? really sterile?)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM4NR6_1vaU

Does anyone think she is completely wrong at some point?

Last edited:
I forgot to mention the Engo patches previously. I didn't need them myself, but my friend used them and loved them.

Thanks for the link, she is great, I have her book in electronic form, and I have followed her taping tips. Merry Christmas, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have trouble following these posts so just a quick question. What is OP that everyone keeps referring to. And to add my 2 cents I bought all the expensive tapes but found paper tape wor d the best.

OP is short for "Original Post"; i.e., the first message or question in a forum thread. In can also refer, in that sense, to the person making the original post.

Michelle

Michelle, I can also recommend ArmaSkin socks https://www.armaskin.com/. My wife and I recently completed Camino Francis then on to Finisterre, a total trek of 915 kms. Not one blister!! The Armaskin socks are worn under the second pair of socks and are guaranteed to give no blisters. No need for daily taping, vaseline etc etc. Highly recommended from a couple who have trekked the long distance!

Buy your footwear one size too big. Since I have been doing that I've not had any issues with blisters on any camino or other hike.

I am going to poke a hornet's nest here but, so be it...

If you want to avoid blisters simply do the following:

1. Footwear a size (to a size and a half) longer (the number) and a size wider (the letter)
  2. Always set out with clean, moisturized feet. I like HikeGoo. Others work just as well
  3. Lace-up loose on the top/front, moderately tight at the heel
  4. Shake out your socks, wet-wipe, and re-moisturize your feet midway through every day
  5. If you feel a hot-spot, STOP! Tape it. Repeat #3 If the spot gets hotter, switch to hiking sandals
  6. ...and this is wear the hornets live...DON'T WEAR BOOTS! Non-waterproof, trainers with hiking soles are ideal for the Camino. YOU DO NOT NEED BOOTS FOR THE CAMINO SANTIAGO (add growl after that last sentence). Shoe technology has advanced since the 1960's! Hiking boots are great for rock and mountain climbing. But for the Camino they are total overkill. Too heavy. Too hot. Uncomfortable. Unnecessary! Keen, and New Balance, and Merrill, and North Face have brilliant, breathable, COMFORTABLE hiking trainers. Buy a pair. Add a high end insole. Follow the steps above and you're golden. No blisters.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back