• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Blister Prevention Method - Vote!

Best Blister Prevention Methods

• Zinc oxide tape

• Talcum powder

• Vaseline

• Compeed

• Liner socks

• Changing socks halfway through the day

• Duct tape

• Cotton pads in shoes

• Special insoles

• Other (tell us below!)

Results are only viewable after voting.

CiaraC

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal 2016
Frances 2018
Frances 2019
Hi all,

I am a fan of the prophylactic and therapeutic dual purpose of zinc oxide tape (pictured).

I'm curious as to what methods of preventing blisters other pilgrims swear by and think it would be nice to get a breakdown of the popularity of each all together in a poll.

There have been lots of posts describing the rationale behind each already. This poll also excludes some of the pre-Camino steps one can obviously take such as: breaking-in shoes, carrying less weight, getting suitable footwear and socks, etc..

I may do another poll on people's preferences of blister treatment too 😁

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have posted this before, and it may be of help to you.

----------------------------------------
Blisters are a product of friction.... often referred to as shear force friction. The skin of your foot, and the sock that is in contact with that area of skin, are sliding and rubbing together.

Strategies for the prevention of shear force friction and blisters have changed and matured over recent years.
  1. A properly fitting shoe. In brief, it needs to be long enough and wide enough to accommodate any insoles, orthotics, metatarsal pads, etc, PLUS the socks that you will be wearing, PLUS the increased pressure on the feet from wearing a loaded pack.
  2. Light padded Merino wool sock designed for walking or backpacking, or the same type of sock in a good synthetic blend. A heavy pad on a sock allows potentially more movement against the skin, takes longer to air out, and takes longer to dry when washed.
  3. A sock fit that is snug and form fitting to the foot, but not gangrene-inducing tight. You want the shear force to be between the sock and the interior of the shoe, not the sock and the skin. A snug fitting sock will help to make that happen.
  4. Allow the shoe to move over the sock a bit. By keeping the shoes a bit looser on the feet, the sock will take the brunt of the shear force. If a shoe is tied snug, then that forces the foot to move more in the sock, which means the sock and skin are absorbing the shear force. An exception occurs on long downhill grades; the shoes need to be tied tight enough to keep your toes from hitting the front of the shoe which can cause injury and trauma to the nail bed and toe joints.
  5. While there are foot lubricants, from Body Glide and Hiker's Goo to plain old vaseline, they have a fairly short viable working span as the material rubs off of the skin and is absorbed by the socks. For prophylactic protection from shear force friction to blister prone areas on the feet, a long lasting barrier is the better option. The placement of tapes, like Leukotape P, or moleskin-type products, if adhered correctly, will last the whole day.
  6. To apply tapes and moleskin type products,
    1. Clean off the area of application with a bit of alcohol to remove grease, dirt, and body oils. A bit of regular hand sanitizer works for this, in addition to hand cleansing.
    2. Cut a piece of your chosen barrier material to fit the area you want protected; be sure to cut rounded corners rather than square in order to help the material from rolling up away from the skin.
    3. Apply a thin smear of Tincture of Benzoin to the skin area where the adhesive will stick. This will increase the holding power of the tape or moleskin.
      1. If the tape or moleskin, etc. is going on top of a blistered area, avoid getting the Benzoin on the roof area of the blister, and add a thin coating of ointment/vaseline onto the blister roof, avoiding the surrounding skin area. This will allow removal of the product without hurting the blister wound.
    4. Place the barrier on the area, taking care to not handle the adhesive; spend a bit of time rubbing the material to create friction so that the adhesive will heat up and adhere more firmly.
    5. At the end of the day, remove the barrier and use some alcohol to wipe the area that was covered.
      1. Since fungus (athletes foot) and pathogens splash around in showers, shower shoes are not necessarily preventative to one's feet being exposed or infected. It is helpful to use an alcohol or astringent product applied to the feet after showering.

I have posted this before, and it may be of help to you.

----------------------------------------
Blisters are a product of friction.... often referred to as shear force friction. The skin of your foot, and the sock that is in contact with that area of skin, are sliding and rubbing together.

Strategies for the prevention of shear force friction and blisters have changed and matured over recent years.
  1. A properly fitting shoe. In brief, it needs to be long enough and wide enough to accommodate any insoles, orthotics, metatarsal pads, etc, PLUS the socks that you will be wearing, PLUS the increased pressure on the feet from wearing a loaded pack.
  2. Light padded Merino wool sock designed for walking or backpacking, or the same type of sock in a good synthetic blend. A heavy pad on a sock allows potentially more movement against the skin, takes longer to air out, and takes longer to dry when washed.
  3. A sock fit that is snug and form fitting to the foot, but not gangrene-inducing tight. You want the shear force to be between the sock and the interior of the shoe, not the sock and the skin. A snug fitting sock will help to make that happen.
  4. Allow the shoe to move over the sock a bit. By keeping the shoes a bit looser on the feet, the sock will take the brunt of the shear force. If a shoe is tied snug, then that forces the foot to move more in the sock, which means the sock and skin are absorbing the shear force. An exception occurs on long downhill grades; the shoes need to be tied tight enough to keep your toes from hitting the front of the shoe which can cause injury and trauma to the nail bed and toe joints.
  5. While there are foot lubricants, from Body Glide and Hiker's Goo to plain old vaseline, they have a fairly short viable working span as the material rubs off of the skin and is absorbed by the socks. For prophylactic protection from shear force friction to blister prone areas on the feet, a long lasting barrier is the better option. The placement of tapes, like Leukotape P, or moleskin-type products, if adhered correctly, will last the whole day.
  6. To apply tapes and moleskin type products,
    1. Clean off the area of application with a bit of alcohol to remove grease, dirt, and body oils. A bit of regular hand sanitizer works for this, in addition to hand cleansing.
    2. Cut a piece of your chosen barrier material to fit the area you want protected; be sure to cut rounded corners rather than square in order to help the material from rolling up away from the skin.
    3. Apply a thin smear of Tincture of Benzoin to the skin area where the adhesive will stick. This will increase the holding power of the tape or moleskin.
      1. If the tape or moleskin, etc. is going on top of a blistered area, avoid getting the Benzoin on the roof area of the blister, and add a thin coating of ointment/vaseline onto the blister roof, avoiding the surrounding skin area. This will allow removal of the product without hurting the blister wound.
    4. Place the barrier on the area, taking care to not handle the adhesive; spend a bit of time rubbing the material to create friction so that the adhesive will heat up and adhere more firmly.
    5. At the end of the day, remove the barrier and use some alcohol to wipe the area that was covered.
      1. Since fungus (athletes foot) and pathogens splash around in showers, shower shoes are not necessarily preventative to one's feet being exposed or infected. It is helpful to use an alcohol or astringent product applied to the feet after showering.

Thanks for your reply davebugg,

Your post contains some great advice about blister prevention and I'm happy to report that I've been following some of the same methods you've mentioned.

Blisters on the Camino have become a bit of a fascination for me. I've seen so many preventative and treatment measures - some good, many bad - over the years and am curious as to what the breakdown of methods is prevalence-wise.

I always have to hold my tongue when I see people "threading" their blisters for example, but each to their own!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for your reply davebugg,

Your post contains some great advice about blister prevention and I'm happy to report that I've been following some of the same methods you've mentioned.

Blisters on the Camino have become a bit of a fascination for me. I've seen so many preventative and treatment measures - some good, many bad - over the years and am curious as to what the breakdown of methods is prevalence-wise.

I always have to hold my tongue when I see people "threading" their blisters for example, but each to their own!

Why hold your tongue? Folks need to be gently made aware of good practices for blister treatments. Threading a blister is bad: it increases the risk of infection, It is not as effective as other strategies for keeping the blister from refilling, draining a blister should only be done if it above a certain size or uncomfortable while walking.

So, feel free to gently point someone to good treatment options.

Why hold your tongue? Folks need to be gently made aware of good practices for blister treatments. Threading a blister is bad: it increases the risk of infection, It is not as effective as other strategies for keeping the blister from refilling, draining a blister should only be done if it above a certain size or uncomfortable while walking.

So, feel free to gently point someone to good treatment options.

That's a fair point. I wouldn't thread for this exact reason: it's inviting infection into the blister (thread can't be sterilised) and there are far better methods for helping blisters along. I've mostly only kindly pointed out the flaw in the threading method when asked for advice by "Camino family" members and offered to show them better blister care. It I see a stranger do it though, I mostly leave them to it.

Sometimes people are well aware that the method they use for doing something differs from the norm but works best for them. It can be unwelcome then to have strangers point it out to them. For example, my rucksack has a waist-belt but I wear it very low down on my hips because this is the most comfortable for me and hasn't given me any back issues...the amount of people that pointed out to me that I was wearing my rucksck "wrong" got annoying after a while of having to explain myself. Another time, I slathered on factor-50 suncream hourly and still got sunburnt. I was fit to punch every person that felt the need to point out to me that I'd gotten sunburnt as if I wasn't aware/hadn't tried to prevent it! :rolleyes:😂

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Afew other points:
1. Some people are blister- prone for hereditary reasons.
2. One advantage of hiking in sandals, if they work for you, is that your feet stayer drier, which helps prevent blisters
3. Not sure if this falls in the "insoles" category, but Engo pads, which adhere to the inside of the shoe, can prevent friction when it becomes apparent. And, unlike taping, you don't have to reapply them every day (or even every month).

I had funny little micro blisters near the edge of my toe nail at around 750km. I think from fritction of the toe nail bed inside the toe (not against the skin if that makes any sense). Not a problem of shoe or sock, and not a problem of long toe nails.

It didn’t hurt but if I had to walk another 100km it probably would have become a problem.

Any ideas or anyone else run into something similar. I have bunions and that might contribute

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Check this out, @Northern Laurie (but only if you have a strong stomach).
Your explanation is quite likely.

And for everyone: I keep mentioning this website, because it is fantastic (really - no exaggeration):

Check it out, before you walk...how to prevent blisters is not one cookie-cutter solution. It depends on where they appear and why they're forming - which are each many and various, not to mention all the combinations of the two together.

Last edited:
Nylon knee highs under my favorite socks. No blisters on 3 Caminos. Cheaper than liner socks and for me, more comfortable. This is easy and works well.

I walk for a living as a tour guide and this is my combo any time I have a long day or get new shoes or boots.

Hi Jodean, I did something similar on my last Camino but went a step further. I used the small nylon ankle sock that women use in their shoes. I put one nylon sock on first and then my marino sock and then another nylon sock. The theory was that the outer nylon sock slides on the shoe inner and my foot slides on the inner nylon sock. I wore this arrangement in boots. It appeared to work quite well as you could feel the slipping inside the boot. The only problem was that my feet sweated a fair amount. I ended up getting a blister on my heel which became infected. This time I am only wearing one pair of marino socks inside trail runners. I have been doing this for 400 kilometeres in training with absolutely no problems I have even decided to take my leather sandals and wear them in the afternoon with the marino socks, when it gets hot later in the day. I have been trialing the sandals for over 50 kilometres and they are very comfortable and a lot cooler as the air goes through the marino socks each time your foot goes forward in a step.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I didn't either as my method wasn't listed. I pretape with kineseo tape. Washes off in the shower at he end of the day without pulling on skin and doesn't leave residue.

But most important thing is to buy shoes that are loose enough not to rub anywhere.

The 'problem' I have answering this is that when on Camino doing first aid I only meet and treat pilgrims who don't look after their feet :).

Awareness is really the thing - a blister doesn't just appear, there is usually a 'hot spot' or discomfort feeling before it develops.

I was outside a pavement cafe in Puente La Reina once when a pilgrim with a dog asked me how to stop blisters forming - I went into a sort of long ramble, as I can do, when Michael Caine, the actor, suddenly appeared at my shoulder and said, in that Michael Caine voice "My mate says that the moment you get a hot spot, whip the boot and sock off and slap a plaster on it - job done" - which was perfect and true, and in one sentence - so do that ;).
(Americans - plaster = band aid).

I waited for him to say "not many people know that" but he didn't. He was there with his wife giving vehicle support to some friends who were ancient and walking.

I vote none of the above -- instead, good 100% woollen socks in large enough boots or shoes, and leathering up the soles of your feet through long-distance hiking.

Most of the people I see (with occasional exceptions) fussing over their blisters as far as I can see are just setting themselves up for further blisters.

Pierce them with a needle or sharp penknife as needs be to let the liquid out (I virtually never have to do that), then stop touching them but just leave your feet out in the fresh air, preferably in sunshine, and just let the skin dry out on its own. Keep barefoot as long as you can if you do get them, afternoons and evenings especially, otherwise a clean pair of those 100% woollen socks.

Fitted copper insoles do seem to help a little BTW, as they appear to help avoid the sock sticking to the insole, but I'd not view them as necessary, but of all the options "special insoles" is the only one I've contemplated voting for (I didn't). I wouldn't have bought them separately, but they're standard issue it seems nowadays in French army boots (the actual official French army boots, not the cheaper imitation ones that my feet have now finally outgrown the maximum size of)

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
For me it's all about preparation: good socks + good shoes for my feet. The combo for me is the key.
But I'm not prone to blisters and I don't sweat much on my feet as I sweat on my back, so for my the dry method work well. Talc, swapping socks during the day (if needed); moisturizing/nutrient/protective cream after the walk. Medical tape or plasters if I get a hot spot.

I didn't vote any of the above because my two "tricks" aren't listed: 1) awareness of any hot spot and airing it out, and 2) stop walking then or as soon as possible after the hot spots form.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
#1 INJINJI TOE SOCKS~!
#2 SILICONE FOOT PRODUCTS~!

(A) various sized toe caps are awesome! I brought a few and was even able to share with other Peregrinos who had 'Pharmacia Surgery'.
(B) Ball of foot protector was great and I could flip it onto the top of my foot, if needed.
(C) Heel Savers...LUV THESE!

Super inexpensive on eBay or Amazon

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well girls, we all know NOT to get a pedicure for a month before the start of your Camino. ......toughen that skin up!
Love
Nope, I don't let my skin toughen up. Blisters can form under calluses and they are worse! Other than the weird toe blister and another one on the side of my toe on my first Camino (the reason that I tried toe socks in the first place) I've been blister free.

Almost forgot. Turn your socks inside out. Unless you have the kind of socks that have no toe seam. I turn my nylons and my socks inside out. Been doing this for years while out touring.

Last edited:
Silicon gel toe covers + Vicks + double layer socks + omi fix tape + shoes off every 8km/2hours + wide fit shoes + pack not too heavy + hydration + lambs wool + lots of good foot care before I walk (no hard skin, toe nails cut etc)

I have suffered with terrible blisters. I've found that it's not one thing but a combination of several things... starting with the right shoes and socks. I also stay alert and deal with things before they get out of hand. I'm still learning... I wish I was one of the lucky folks that walk blister free. I'm resigned to always getting blisters but I feel more confident in managing them now too.

I always carry Dr. Scholl's silicone toe protectors available in most pharmacies along the camino. Stop at the first sign of a hot spot. I will prick a blister and then cut a silicone tube to the best length and put it on, instant relief. Slight pressure keeps the blister empty and skin compressed so if it is applied at the first sign the skin will re-attach and heal perfectly. Take it off each night to let the toe breathe and re-use it next day. I am amazed that more people are not familiar with them.

Do not thread cotton through a blister unless you want to risk an infection. I met a couple of French girls on the CP and one of them was crippled with toe blisters. I gave her some of the Dr. Scholl's silicone tube and showed her how to apply it. I met up with them again a few days later and she reported instant relief and was helling well.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all,

I am a fan of the prophylactic and therapeutic dual purpose of zinc oxide tape (pictured).

I'm curious as to what methods of preventing blisters other pilgrims swear by and think it would be nice to get a breakdown of the popularity of each all together in a poll.

There have been lots of posts describing the rationale behind each already. This poll also excludes some of the pre-Camino steps one can obviously take such as: breaking-in shoes, carrying less weight, getting suitable footwear and socks, etc..

I may do another poll on people's preferences of blister treatment too 😁
View attachment 53960

I find the New Zealand product "Hikers Wool" to be the ants pants. As soon as you feel a hot spot, stop and place the lanolin rich wool next to the spot and put your sock back on. The wool is light and not a burden to carry

Wool is a great natural bandage, as it naturally lets your blister "breathe" properly, whilst very effectively soaking up any moisture (even blood).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I agree that woollen, merino, socks are most important. Once I mistakenly wore my old hiking socks that I had always thought were great and had a blister that day. There seems to be something quite special about wool, particularly the fine merino fibres.

I walked France and Portuguese back to back with no blisters. I applied Gerwhol cream to my feet every morning before wearing two pairs of merino wool seamless socks, one light and medium guage then relied on what I consider to be best value for money walking shoe, Merrell Moab Ventilator (Avoid Goretex) and as others have suggested important to go 1/2 or full size bigger and listen to body. For example after around 15-18km mark I would experience hot spots on soles of feet. Stop immediately, remove socks and apply more cream. Thankful I have yet to receive blister and if I did I wouldn't know what to do and another more personal approach I had before I started walking I believed that my Camino would be blister free. Power of positive intention is worth consideration 😉

To date: liberal application of Vaseline, old fashioned pink Elastoplast without any pads, to cover heels and ball of feet (looks similar to your Meditape in photo), airing feet and sock changing every two hours or so. Have just ordered some hikers wool from a NZ company that accepts business from Ireland. Let’s see!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I purchased these anti blister socks after a recommendation. I don’t usually suffer with blisters but there’s always a first time. I haven’t used them as yet to advise.

@robproct "...instant relief..." TRUE!

An added benefit to the silicone foot products I mentioned above is that, they are all very SHOCK ABSORBING therefore, preventative. However, if you get cracked heels (at home or away) or blisters, you'll get the instant relief that @robproct mentioned. 👍

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wear liner socks, but I also like to lubricate my toes. I do have an unfair advantage, my daughter makes an herbal salve containing healing herbs as well as olive oil and bees wax. I had one tiny blister on my heel (not lubed) after my longest day on meseta. Otherwise blister free entire Frances

This stuff works for me. I tape my "hot spots" before I start walking. Didn't get a single blister on my last three caminos!

shoe size.... make sure you have LOTS of room in your shoes because your feet WILL swell over time throughout each day ... I use the runners rule, at least one size larger than your regular footwear... no blisters on the Primitvo or to Finisterre ... also, keep your feet DRY... wool socks! and have some compeed for emergencies!

Last year while on the Camino from SJPD to Astorga I had blisters on my blisters until I abandoned my hiking boots. I switched to a pair of wool socks and Keen sandals (with the toe protector), hiking from Astorga to Santiago with a 35 lb pack, My blisters were gone by the time I got my compostella. This included the trek up to O Cebreiro in the rain. I couldn't believe it myself, but my feet healed while wearing these sandals. I don't do any hiking without them now.

And yes, I DID write the Keen people a nice thank you letter.

I purchased these anti blister socks after a recommendation. I don’t usually suffer with blisters but there’s always a first time. I haven’t used them as yet to advise.
Ive tried Armaskin, lasted 460 km on Pilegrimsleden & all of Camino Primitivo. Seemed to work fine, & for me a convenient method. I wasnt in extreme heat however.

My "other" vote is German Hirschtalg cream. It's a foot balm made from deer fat. It naturally toughens your skin and maintains a barrier against it getting sweaty and wrinkly, plus reduces friction, and is (unfortunately so, dear Vegans) far better than any synthetic substance in preventing blisters.

I've now done three caminos without a single blister using just a tube of this stuff each time. My first camino I didn't have it and my feet became a bloody blistered mess!

Last edited:
They actually gave me a blister at the base of my big and second toe! Same thing happened to my friend.
Yeah another downvote in agreement here. I tried toe-socks and ditched them on my first day as a blister began to form. After losing them and going pure thick merino only everything healed and was fine for the rest of the camino.

Last edited:
I have a giant problem with blisters. I have very bad ankles and have to wear braces to walk more than 5 miles in a day.
1 shoes matter a lot. (How ever never found zero blister shoes only low)
2 taping or bandaid on hot spots does nothing, reason I get a blister at the edge of the tape/band aid so it only moves the location of blister
3 change socks in the middle of walking

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I wear thin liner sockets from Bridgedale and 40 denier knee high stockings( can be folded down and worn as socked when hot) and have not had a blister to 20+ years.

On the very rare occasions I get a 'hot spot' I immediately attend to it and put hikers wool in between the two layers thereby preventing the rubbing which causes the blister.

This happened on the VDLP a few weeks ago because my shoe had developed an uneven roughness in the fabric at the top of the shoe near where the Achilles starts and was beginning to rub ( the other shoe was fine and has not developed the same issue). With the hikers wool in place it no longer rubbed. Each morning I teased out the wool and replaced the same piece until after about a week was no longer needed and no blister ever formed.

Number one prevention is do not ignore hot spots they will only get worse, they won't go away in my experience

I wear thin liner sockets from Bridgedale and 40 denier knee high stockings( can be folded down and worn as socked when hot) and have not had a blister to 20+ years.

On the very rare occasions I get a 'hot spot' I immediately attend to it and put hikers wool in between the two layers thereby preventing the rubbing which causes the blister.

This happened on the VDLP a few weeks ago because my shoe had developed an uneven roughness in the fabric at the top of the shoe near where the Achilles starts and was beginning to rub ( the other shoe was fine and has not developed the same issue). With the hikers wool in place it no longer rubbed. Each morning I teased out the wool and replaced the same piece until after about a week was no longer needed and no blister ever formed.

Number one prevention is do not ignore hot spots they will only get worse, they won't go away in my experience
You wear the nylon socks under the Bridgedale socks?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
As your question is "prevention" rather than treatment, my vote is 2 part:. A) training ahead of time. B) Walk in a relaxed manner.

I've heard of people wearing the thin nylon socks as liner socks, but not over.
I guess in a way they are both 'liner socks'. They both have no seams or edges or places that rubbing can occur and so act to prevent the things that make the blister occur.
Have done it for years and i like not having to have the heat of thick socks also

If you wisely choose your shoes and socks, then blisters should not occur. Light shoes (like trail runners) with large toe boxes and at least one size bigger than my foot never gave me blisters. But I always tested my shoes very well and it happened that I bought 3 pairs before I found the one pair that didn’t irritate any part of my feet during test hikes. As soon as I feel some discomfort or friction on some part of my feet, I discard the shoes for long multi day hikes.

PS. Compeed does NOT belong on the voting list. It is not a prevention method and it's rarely even a good treatment method!
Okay... rant over :)

Agreed re Compeed unless you're a fan of destroying your socks in the process! However, I added it to the list as one of the most common methods of blister prevention I've seen used (it's also gotten 12.8% of the vote here).

This list is less of a "what's the right method" (though I'm really enjoying reading people's thoughts on what method they swear by!) and more of an overview with stats on what method people use the most to prevent blisters. I guess it can be a compliment to the many threads already discussing blisters - if someone is debating between methods and wants to decide based on popularity, they can see the figures here.

We've got over 100 voters so far and the more the merrier! :)

Last year while on the Camino from SJPD to Astorga I had blisters on my blisters until I abandoned my hiking boots. I switched to a pair of wool socks and Keen sandals (with the toe protector), hiking from Astorga to Santiago with a 35 lb pack, My blisters were gone by the time I got my compostella. This included the trek up to O Cebreiro in the rain. I couldn't believe it myself, but my feet healed while wearing these sandals. I don't do any hiking without them now.

There's no one single solution that works for everyone -- some people simply need to wear sandals.

I'm glad you found what works for you !!

PS. Compeed does NOT belong on the voting list. It is not a prevention method and it's rarely even a good treatment method!
Okay... rant over :)
Absolutely! Besides it's too expensive to use for prevention when simple tape or moleskin does the job.
Podiatrist Rebecca Rushton explains how to use Compeed in this video.

My go-to option is not listed so I didn't vote. :(
It's taping around susceptible toes with micropore paper tape, and then adding lambs' wool around the two toes that are particularly problematic. It is my essential morning ritual.
Omnifix is essential too...in other places.
I used lamb's wool too and it worked perfectly for two trouble spots I had.

Before walking grease feet with Neosporin (a Vaseline-like material but with anti-bacterial additive) .

Where and what type of blisters you get are very individual.
Hubby walked in hiking boots and regular socks - not one blister.
I walked in ECO sandals and hiker socks. While I never got a rubbing type blister, I did get tiny but painful impact blisters. A mole skin donut with cloth tape over it worked great. After the first week my feet were tough enough to not blister at all.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Rubbing and pressure is probably what causes toe or heel blisters. Fortunately I have never had blisters on the soles of my feet, so far anyway, and I wonder what causes them. One would think that good thick merino socks would stop that. I also wonder if anyone has a theory as to why rubbing feet with a salve of some form works. If they are as Jo says due to impact, then how would rubbing a cream on the sole help, yet it does apparently seem to work. I wonder if people who get sole blisters have done enough training walks to toughen their feet. I would be interested in their comments.

Salve, Vaseline or other lubricant is to eliminate friction. Eliminate friction, eliminate blister. IF,,, people would stop and treat a "hot-spot" early, it would not become a blister. Impact blisters are not in my experience set, so no ideas about how to stop those. I walked 3500 miles last, so I do not tolerate friction in any case.

Mitchell's Original Wool Fat Lanolin.
This is the best prevention, I ever tried. The lanolin, impregnates into your socks and remains there even after washing. Not readily available.

Slather on a thick coat of bear grease. Put on a sock. Slather that sock with bear grease. Add another sock. Slather that sock with bear grease and put on the final sock. Guaranteed to eliminate all shear force friction and keep you blister free all day.

Some really interesting methods here, folks! Thanks for sharing. I admit I was only vaguely aware of hikers wool prior to a number of people posting about it here. My current preferred method may have to be reconsidered based on these stats ;)

- using only woollen socks and changing socks every hour on the hour to evacuate humidity from boots.....
- using leather boots with no membrane...
- buying boots that fits you instantly in the shop, to ensure best possible fit...
- buying inlay soles when nescessary, my third solemaker is a magician who has read my feet properly...
- if still problematic, reducing walking speed and avoid walking like a soldier on a march. Obviously your feet demand some respect !!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Absolutely! Besides it's too expensive to use for prevention when simple tape or moleskin does the job.
Podiatrist Rebecca Rushton explains how to use Compeed in this video.

Brilliant, @trecile. She nails it!

This video should be mandatory viewing for everyone doing a camino!:p

I had to vote "other," because what has worked for me is kinesiology tape. I suppose it's sort of like the duct tape method, but kinesiology tape is more flexible, doesn't fold up or hurt when you take it off. I didn't discover it until my 4th camino. I had blisters on every camino previous to using the tape, although I could manage them pretty well with compeed.

A week ago at a meeting of the Boston American Pilgrims on the Camino chapter a gentleman was giving away some samples of ChafeX, a cream that "Trains your skin to avoid chafing, hot spots, blisters, callouses" I haven't used this yet but I will pass on the website for those who are interested in it.

https://www.ChafeX.com

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Nylon knee highs under my favorite socks. No blisters on 3 Caminos. Cheaper than liner socks and for me, more comfortable. This is easy and works well.

I walk for a living as a tour guide and this is my combo any time I have a long day or get new shoes or boots.
Do you find your feet sweat more in those nylons?

Rachel - They don't sweat any more than if I was wearing other types of liners. At least have never noticed. I put them on the morning, walk all day, take them off when I get to the albergue. Have only walked in April and in Sept/Oct. so not in the hot months. Here in Frankfurt, I try to just work in the mornings in the summer time if at all possible as the heat gets to me. The socks don't seem to make much difference on how hot I feel.

I can only say that good socks and good broken in hiking boots worked well for me. I use only Darn Tough socks. I will also say that I would only average around 12 to 18 km a day. It appears there is not a magic solution to preventing blisters for everyone. What works for me may not work for you. I do think there are basics to focus on and if you do at least use good socks and shoes that you have hiked in for miles again and again before using on the Camino you will at least have a better than average chance of not getting or not getting so many blisters. I am surely not an expert on blisters.

Blister prevention:
Vasque light weight boots one half size larger than your normal shoe size. Use good foot lubricant each night and women’s nylon socks. I’ve never had a blister in 5 caminos using this approach. Btw I have no affiliation with vasque other than I swear by these boots. Bien Camino

Blister prevention:
Vasque light weight boots one half size larger than your normal shoe size. Use good foot lubricant each night and women’s nylon socks. I’ve never had a blister in 5 caminos using this approach. Btw I have no affiliation with vasque other than I swear by these boots. Bien Camino
Just to clarify women’s nylon socks as a liner under good socks. I use smart wool.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The best blister prevention in my opinion is training.
Yes, training to learn.
Physical training is clearly important, if only to learn how to deal with problems.
I do a lot of miles and still occasionally have issues. Ultra-marathoners clearly have fantastic training and they use many of these methods and more.
Learning to deal with the problems is very important. Stopping the trouble early is most important. Don't wait until the end of the day or the next town. Stop and fix it when you first feel it !!!

Did you use the inner ones and then a second sock over them?

I agree with daesdaemar, I bought quality Solomon hiking shoes, 1/2 size larger than normal, wore Injinji toe sock liners and Merino wool socks and at age 65 I didn't even get close to a blister in 800K!

I walked France and Portuguese back to back with no blisters. I applied Gerwhol cream to my feet every morning before wearing two pairs of merino wool seamless socks, one light and medium guage then relied on what I consider to be best value for money walking shoe, Merrell Moab Ventilator (Avoid Goretex) and as others have suggested important to go 1/2 or full size bigger and listen to body. For example after around 15-18km mark I would experience hot spots on soles of feet. Stop immediately, remove socks and apply more cream. Thankful I have yet to receive blister and if I did I wouldn't know what to do and another more personal approach I had before I started walking I believed that my Camino would be blister free. Power of positive intention is worth consideration 😉
@Derrybiketours
I've never heard of Gewohl cream, but have now looked it up. It seems there is a variety. Would you say it's the Salve for Cracked Skin? https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gehwol+f...r-20&ref=pd_sl_6hafbvlvx8_e&tag=casaivar02-20

Thanks.

Hi all, just to go back to basics .. there is no reason whatsoever to get a blister as the body warns you before it happens ... you get a "hot spot" .. you will feel a very localised hot burning spot on your foot .. is the beginning of what is essentially a friction burn (which is what a blister is, but under the top skin layer) - stop! take off footwear, pad that area .. with anything soft .. sheeps wool from a fence, elastoplast (band aid) ... toilet tissue, duck tape, anything to create a wall between your footwear and the skin at that point - result? no blister.
So - listen to what your body is telling you, don't ignore it.

Last edited:
Hard to say precisely what 'works' as in 2,000 kms I've never had a blister.
I use a combination, some of which may not be actually working :rolleyes:

Vaseline
Hikers wool
Thin liner socks
Thick wool outer socks
Airing feet, and changing socks halfway
Stopping to fix hot spots immediately with hikers wool
Letting feet air at night by wearing sandals.
Shoes 1 size larger than my regular 'street' shoes.

So I'll stick with the whole regime, not knowing which if any, I could drop :cool:

On Camino, after the day's walk and after showering (obviously), and once I am locked into my room for the night, I leave my feet sock-free so that they can air and stay dry all night.

My training revealed my problem areas and hot spots.
I bandage the problem toes since, magic!.
I wear running shoes une size bigger and I shower at night so my foot skin is not soft and vulnerable when I start walking in the morning.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My training revealed my problem areas and hot spots.
I bandage the problem toes since, magic!.
This is why I recommend that people set aside at least 3 consecutive days to walk 10 miles/16 km each day to see how their feet handle walking a long distance day after day.

€149,-
What is your preferred bandage tape?
Omnifix and Hypafix. They are thin and a bit stretchy so they conform to the shape of your foot. They come on a wide roll so you can cut the size and shape that you need. You do need scissors to cut it.

These tapes are available in pharmacies in Spain, but here in the US I have to order them from Amazon.

I’m going to attempt this this weekend as i have a long weekend 😁
I did that for the August long weekend. I pretended I was in full camino mode, walking early in the morning, stopping for coffee and lunch, changing my socks, watching my feet (even taking pictures of my feet!), carrying my pack, washing my clothes in the sink every night... Those three days revealed all I needed (and what I could leave behind) more than any packing list and foot care I have ever read.

These tapes are available in pharmacies in Spain, but here in the US I have to order them from Amazon.
I have bought these "dressing retention tapes" at pharmacies in Canada, but not every pharmacy sells them. The tapes are often used for home care nursing - taping surgical drains and dressing, so it might help to find a pharmacy that carries such products. Ask at the pharmacist's counter.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am starting the Route Frances on May 20 and looking at weather to pick my clothes but also figured I should factor the bug situation into the equation since I don't want to weigh down my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.